post #241 of 543 Old 08-13-2014, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejcrossl View Post
You won't notice the Pentile. I can't compare it to the ST50, but it is a very good picture w/ good blacks.
Thanks.

I actually today found the 60F5300 at Best Buy, the first pentile display I've seen, and it confirmed what most everyone is saying. From 5' and closer I could definitely make out the pixel structure including the distinct red green and blue in the pixels, but from 8' and further all looked good. At 6' to 7' I wasn't sure if I was seeing anything different than looking at a non-pentile display and thought it was probably just the fact that I knew it had a pentile structure that made me doubt if I could see it a little or not. But anyway, my fears are definitely gone now as I would never want to sit closer than 9' from a 64" display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 543 Old 08-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just got my H5000!

My first reaction: Holy crap, it's huge. I'm going from a 42" 720p Panny plasma to this monster, and it's quite a difference in size. (moved into a new house, and I'm now sitting about 13' away vs. 8' before, so.... 42" wasn't going to cut it come football season!)

My second reaction: This thing is REALLY reflective. It's in the living room, and when it's turned off, it's practically a mirror. However once I turned it on, I wasn't able to see very many reflections, and only when I was looking for them. All of my blinds weren't closed either, so I think it'll be fine in my room.

I messed around with the menus a little bit. I noticed that there's no calibration thread on AVS -- has anyone done anything yet? I'm not sure what most of the settings are. :/

I should probably read up on the burn-in thread to figure out how to avoid that too. I never did anything special with my 42" plasma, but I feel like I should be a little more careful with this set since it's probably going to be the last plasma I buy...
post #243 of 543 Old 08-17-2014, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does this TV do 5.1 through it's digital audio out?
post #244 of 543 Old 08-18-2014, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitsmario View Post
Does this TV do 5.1 through it's digital audio out?
No. Stereo only like most (all?) tvs.
post #245 of 543 Old 08-19-2014, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Update: After using the TV over the last 3 days, I'm really glad I bought it. The reflections aren't as bad as I originally thought -- once you stop looking for them, anyway.

I still have to figure out how to calibrate - I'll review this thread from start to finish again to see what I should be doing, but right out of the box the picture looks pretty good so it's not a pressing need yet.
post #246 of 543 Old 08-19-2014, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezmid View Post
Update: After using the TV over the last 3 days, I'm really glad I bought it. The reflections aren't as bad as I originally thought -- once you stop looking for them, anyway.

I still have to figure out how to calibrate - I'll review this thread from start to finish again to see what I should be doing, but right out of the box the picture looks pretty good so it's not a pressing need yet.
There isn't much out there on calibrating this set. There is only one place I have found posted settings from someone who used calibration equipment. Enthusiasts must be staying far away from this one.

djsketchie posted this earlier in the thread. Its the only posted settings I have found.

http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...ew/the-science

Last edited by ejcrossl; 08-19-2014 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added link
post #247 of 543 Old 08-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There isn't much out there on calibrating this set. There is only one place I have found posted settings from someone who used calibration equipment. Enthusiasts must be staying far away from this one.
Yeah, I don't understand why though. It's definitely a very good set. People hear "pentile" and just turn their noses up at it for no real reason. A shame.
post #248 of 543 Old 08-19-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't understand why though. It's definitely a very good set. People hear "pentile" and just turn their noses up at it for no real reason. A shame.
I totally agree. Especially w/ the death of plasma pending.
Size: great
Price: great
Picture: great

Win Win

I just tried to increase my brightness from 60 to 85 to get some more definition during dark scenes. Not sure if it will make bright scenes wash out.
post #249 of 543 Old 08-19-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
I totally agree. Especially w/ the death of plasma pending.
Size: great
Price: great
Picture: great

Win Win

I just tried to increase my brightness from 60 to 85 to get some more definition during dark scenes. Not sure if it will make bright scenes wash out.
You are better off changing your gamma, you do understand that brightness controls black level not light output ? You manipulate that with contrast/cell light control

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #250 of 543 Old 08-19-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
You are better off changing your gamma, you do understand that brightness controls black level not light output ? You manipulate that with contrast/cell light control
I really don't know much at all about calibration settings other than digging through these forums. I don't ever plan to post my settings as a suggestion to anyone.
I am a noob w/ an addiction to this forum and my new plasma.
I just noticed for the first time that during a dark scene there wasn't much definition between the dark part of the room and a dark jacket. It was pretty much all blended together. I'll try playing w/ the gamma and contrast/cell light in that scene.
Note: I already have cell light at 19 out of 20.
post #251 of 543 Old 08-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

I know next to nothing about calibration as well.... Which is why I was hoping there'd be a calibration thread on this set, but as noted, not many people are buying it for some reason.
post #252 of 543 Old 08-19-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I really don't know much at all about calibration settings other than digging through these forums. I don't ever plan to post my settings as a suggestion to anyone.
I am a noob w/ an addiction to this forum and my new plasma.
I just noticed for the first time that during a dark scene there wasn't much definition between the dark part of the room and a dark jacket. It was pretty much all blended together. I'll try playing w/ the gamma and contrast/cell light in that scene.
Note: I already have cell light at 19 out of 20.

No problem the gamma curve has an effect on how quick things come out of black(shadow detail)
post #253 of 543 Old 08-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No problem the gamma curve has an effect on how quick things come out of black(shadow detail)
So.... brightness should be relatively low and gamma should be relatively high...? Or am completely missing the mark?
post #254 of 543 Old 08-19-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Brightness should be set so that you don't clip reference black(usually level 17 barely visible on a pluge pattern). If I recall correctly that is usually in the mid to upper 40s of Samsungs. The gamma preset would be higher yes but actual gamma would go lower for example 2.1 as opposed to 2.2.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #255 of 543 Old 08-20-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Brightness should be set so that you don't clip reference black(usually level 17 barely visible on a pluge pattern). If I recall correctly that is usually in the mid to upper 40s of Samsungs. The gamma preset would be higher yes but actual gamma would go lower for example 2.1 as opposed to 2.2.
That sounds correct. I have the HD Basics calibration disc, and on the plunge pattern 47-49 seems to be the right brightness setting. The only thing I'm not sure of is if we are supposed to see the difference between 0% black and below black. The see a slight difference I need to set the brightness about 51-52 but I can notice that the black level is raised.

Can anyone else chime in on this?

Last edited by chrisvw16; 08-20-2014 at 08:03 PM.
post #256 of 543 Old 08-20-2014, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
Quote:
yup, sounds right to me. my f8500 has the brightness set at 42 right now, and I don't generally ever see it above 45 that I can remember. the only hitch here is making sure you have the hdmi setting correct. I always forget which is which, but I believe if you input a standard 16-235 video signal it automatically greys out the full-range option. so it 'should' be the correct setting as long as you aren't using a PC

I would also suggest to put the cell light up to 20, and contrast at 95. those seem to be settings that were 'designed' into the Samsung TV's. lowering the cell light actually changes the ABL behaviour, not the peak brightness(until you get way down to like 11-12). changing the contrast shifts the greyscale, which could also negatively affect your calibration.

so:
-brightness adjust with a pattern, likely to come out between 40-45
-contrast at 95
-cell light at 20
-if you want to see more detail in the shadows, move the gamma from 0 to +1 or higher as necessary. I've heard +1 is the best default setting for the f8500, for whatever that's worth

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #257 of 543 Old 08-20-2014, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvw16 View Post
That sounds correct. I have the HD Basics calibration disc, and on the plunge pattern 47-49 seems to be the right brightness setting. The only thing I'm not sure of is if we are supposed to see the difference between 0% black and below black. The see a slight difference I need to set the brightness about 51-52 but I can notice that the black level is raised.

Can anyone else chime in on this?
you definitely should not be able to see '16' from 'below black'
but I find if I set it so that I can see '17' a lot of content ends up looking washed out. so I have mine set so that '17' is 'black', this way nearly all my content looks good. I may be crushing some black detail on the stuff that's been mastered well, but it hasn't bothered me nearly as much as trying to watch stuff that's been done poorly with a raised black level

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #258 of 543 Old 08-21-2014, 03:42 AM

It's too bad there aren't any real calibration settings out there for this TV. This is like the last affordable big screen plasma, guess folks just don't find this TV worth it over a 60" F5300. Anyways, I'm looking to grab one soon(maybe wait on another Fry's sale). Hopefully someone can post calibration settings soon.
post #259 of 543 Old 08-21-2014, 10:02 AM

You would think w/ all of the calibrators out there that someone would want to play around w/ this tv. Maybe posting settings is bad for business
The only post w/ professional equipment has the brightness at 45, but the gamma at -1? The person in this post used the picture mode: Cinema, but i don't even think Cinema exists in mine. The only picture modes I see are dynamic, movie, and standard. Does it even matter once you change the settings?
post #260 of 543 Old 08-21-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
It's too bad there aren't any real calibration settings out there for this TV. This is like the last affordable big screen plasma, guess folks just don't find this TV worth it over a 60" F5300. Anyways, I'm looking to grab one soon(maybe wait on another Fry's sale). Hopefully someone can post calibration settings soon.
I think Fry's will have one on Friday. Usually when they have it listed at full MSRP (which nobody would ever buy at that price) they have it on sale the next week. Take a look Friday, and maybe they will have a glitch again showing it w/ free shipping. Last time they changed it a day later to store pickup only. If you have prime, call amazon right away and get a price match. 2% cash back w/ Amazon.
post #261 of 543 Old 08-21-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You would think w/ all of the calibrators out there that someone would want to play around w/ this tv. Maybe posting settings is bad for business
The only post w/ professional equipment has the brightness at 45, but the gamma at -1? The person in this post used the picture mode: Cinema, but i don't even think Cinema exists in mine. The only picture modes I see are dynamic, movie, and standard. Does it even matter once you change the settings?
FWIW, my brightness was 45 out of the box. Gamma is 0.
post #262 of 543 Old 08-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think Fry's will have one on Friday. Usually when they have it listed at full MSRP (which nobody would ever buy at that price) they have it on sale the next week. Take a look Friday, and maybe they will have a glitch again showing it w/ free shipping. Last time they changed it a day later to store pickup only. If you have prime, call amazon right away and get a price match. 2% cash back w/ Amazon.
It's actually been full MSRP for a couple of weeks now. I've been checking it non-stop (to buy it myself, and now to price match it with Amazon since I already ordered it).
post #263 of 543 Old 08-21-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
It's actually been full MSRP for a couple of weeks now. I've been checking it non-stop (to buy it myself, and now to price match it with Amazon since I already ordered it).
You get 14 days from day of delivery. I purposely had mine setup for Friday delivery knowing that their sale changes every Fri. Got them to price match the day I bought it for $1199, then had it delivered a week later on Fri. Check on my 14th day, and they had it again for $1099. Got Amazon to match that price too. She told me it was the last time they could price match it, but it was already 14 days so I didn't really have any more time anyway.
I can't imagine Fry's will have it another week like that, but who knows, they are pretty random over there.
post #264 of 543 Old 08-21-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
You get 14 days from day of delivery. I purposely had mine setup for Friday delivery knowing that their sale changes every Fri. Got them to price match the day I bought it for $1199, then had it delivered a week later on Fri. Check on my 14th day, and they had it again for $1099. Got Amazon to match that price too. She told me it was the last time they could price match it, but it was already 14 days so I didn't really have any more time anyway.
I can't imagine Fry's will have it another week like that, but who knows, they are pretty random over there.
I should of bit when it was $1099, ughh. Here's to hoping it goes back down to that, or even lower, $999 might not be that far of a stretch .
post #265 of 543 Old 08-21-2014, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
For anyone near a Fry's location these are $1097 in store only, online it still shows $2099. My dad just picked one up last week, pretty good deal for a 64'
post #266 of 543 Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWPRO24Z View Post
For anyone near a Fry's location these are $1097 in store only, online it still shows $2099. My dad just picked one up last week, pretty good deal for a 64'
They must be tired of being price matched.
post #267 of 543 Old 08-23-2014, 12:44 PM

Liked: 10
I received my H5000 from Amazon and got it set up yesterday. I tweaked the settings a bit then popped in The Avengers bluray and the picture is amazing ! I don't think for the money you will find a better deal on a 64" tv with this kind of picture quality. So far I am very pleased

Display : Samsung PN64H5000
Avr : Onkyo TX-NR709 - Blu Ray : Onkyo BD-SP809
Amps : Crown XLS2500 - Crown XLS1500's
CD : Onkyo C-7030 - Onkyo DX-C390
Spkrs : Polk RTi 12's - Polk CSi3 - Polk FXi3's -
Subs : Polk PSW505's
post #268 of 543 Old 08-23-2014, 03:23 PM

Called Frys and my local store has an in-store price of $1097, but they're out of stock. Next Fry's store closest to me has 1 in stock, but it's an hour and a half away. Anybody have luck getting a rain check from Frys?
post #269 of 543 Old 08-23-2014, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Called Frys and my local store has an in-store price of $1097, but they're out of stock. Next Fry's store closest to me has 1 in stock, but it's an hour and a half away. Anybody have luck getting a rain check from Frys?
Purchase it online and select the store that has stock. Fry's basically works like this, if you choose in store pick up you're basically putting the item on hold bc you're not paying for it until you actually pick it up from the store. So you'll still get the in store price even tho technically the tv is $2099 on the website.

Just wait for the order is ready for pick up email(store confirms within 20 mins for product availability) and you're set.

Last edited by LOWPRO24Z; 08-23-2014 at 05:07 PM.
post #270 of 543 Old 08-25-2014, 10:22 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapaynem4 View Post
I received my H5000 from Amazon and got it set up yesterday. I tweaked the settings a bit then popped in The Avengers bluray and the picture is amazing ! I don't think for the money you will find a better deal on a 64" tv with this kind of picture quality. So far I am very pleased
Outstanding Samsung TV & raw sound set up.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
PN64H5000 , Samsung 64 Inch Pn64f5300 Plasma
Gear in this thread - PN64H5000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page