So I missed out on the Panasonic goodness: Does this mean bye-bye Plasmas, hello LCDs? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 03-03-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,604
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 968
i'd think the main purpose of checking hours is to make sure it wasn't a display unit tortured in a store playing the same thing for 12hrs a day.

otherwise, checking for IR should tell you enough about how it was used

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 39 Old 03-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
xvfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

i'd think the main purpose of checking hours is to make sure it wasn't a display unit tortured in a store playing the same thing for 12hrs a day.

otherwise, checking for IR should tell you enough about how it was used

Wouldn't you see signs of screen burn if it was?
xvfx is offline  
post #33 of 39 Old 03-03-2014, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
gozu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I didn't see signs of IR. The TV has 914 hours on it and was purchased september 3rd giving it an average of 5 hours a day for 6 months. Reasonable in my opinion.

I got the price down to $750, of which I was quite satisfied until I saw the receipt which indicated the dude actually bought it new for $750 + tax himself! (from brandsmart). He got himself a really good deal, I reckon.

Two disappointing things:

It buzzes just as loud as my old budget 720p samsung did. I can't hear the buzz during normal operation, but when I have it set to my apple TV screensaver, it's definitely noticeable from 8 feet away or so.

It definitely shows the flaws of 720p content. Partly because of the 10 extra inches and partly because it's not 720p native I guess. I wonder if I should use the apple TV3 scaler and set output to 720p when playing 720p content instead of using the TV's scaler.
gozu is online now  
post #34 of 39 Old 03-03-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,381
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

Just to be clear....many plasma "panels" have a 100,000 hr half life expectancy. History has shown that other componants (i.e power supply, boards, etc) of the display tend to expire prior.
As with any display be it plasma or LED. I just think people are used to plasma's having a short life from back in the day when they were rated closer to 30,000 hours and it that were still the case I would not want to start out with a panel that already had 5000 hours on it.
eric3316 is offline  
post #35 of 39 Old 03-03-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,381
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozu View Post

I didn't see signs of IR. The TV has 914 hours on it and was purchased september 3rd giving it an average of 5 hours a day for 6 months. Reasonable in my opinion.

I got the price down to $750, of which I was quite satisfied until I saw the receipt which indicated the dude actually bought it new for $750 + tax himself! (from brandsmart). He got himself a really good deal, I reckon.

Two disappointing things:

It buzzes just as loud as my old budget 720p samsung did. I can't hear the buzz during normal operation, but when I have it set to my apple TV screensaver, it's definitely noticeable from 8 feet away or so.

It definitely shows the flaws of 720p content. Partly because of the 10 extra inches and partly because it's not 720p native I guess. I wonder if I should use the apple TV3 scaler and set output to 720p when playing 720p content instead of using the TV's scaler.
The TV will upscale it anyway. Depending on the source and the compression, not all 720p is created equal. There will be so many different variances from one thing to the next. On a 60" TV from 8ft away, good quality 720p content should not look that bad.
eric3316 is offline  
post #36 of 39 Old 03-03-2014, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
gozu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

The TV will upscale it anyway. Depending on the source and the compression, not all 720p is created equal. There will be so many different variances from one thing to the next. On a 60" TV from 8ft away, good quality 720p content should not look that bad.

Woops. Quite right. I meant to say maybe using the TV scaler would work better than the apple TV scaler, since the aTV is outputting at 1080p right now. If I switch it to 720p, the scaling would be done by the TV. The question is whether the aTV3 scaler is better than the s60 scaler.

Bitrate of video was about 4000 Kbps h264 video @ 23.976 FPS which is quite decent. The video doesn't look THAT bad. The more visible flaws are to be expected.

1080p content looks great on the other hand. I haven't yet calibrated colors or anything.
gozu is online now  
post #37 of 39 Old 03-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
vantagesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougofthenorth View Post

@Gozu

RE: "(It's not that the Samsung's are bad, it's just that the Panny is so much better)"

That is a blatantly false & misleading statement & is not based on any factual specs or stated by any reviewers or tests.
Read what the experts themselves wrote, to get the truth, so you are best served in your quest & go & look at some in stores...

BUT - As Panny plasmas (RIP) are no longer made & 2013 models are $$$ & scarce - so even that is a moot point & no longer applies.


Effectively the Panny only beat (past tense) the Sammy in Black Levels by a VERY small margin, & in pitch black rooms.
The F8500s beat the Panny in other regards.
The F8500s & the new 2014 Sammy equivalents are/will be readily available.

I thought he was comparing the ST60 against a F5300. Is the statement false in that context? I honestly don't know because I wasn't shopping in that market segment. But the ZT/VT60 vs. F8500 has nothing to do with what he said, but that's just the way I read it.

In any case, the F8500 is what I would buy today if I was in the market for a new set, but I don't game. A month ago I almost went for one, but was able to find one of the last ZT60s.
vantagesc is offline  
post #38 of 39 Old 03-04-2014, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
igreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowball View Post

since you mentioned you can wait, you should. see what plasmas Samsung releases in the near future. I'm sure the prices of the 8500 will drop maybe allowing you to get a 64" in the 2k neighborhood if nothing from 2014 is to your liking



No.no.no
learn from panasonic-pricesinf8500 will only increase.....already have with June exit
gus738 likes this.
igreg is offline  
post #39 of 39 Old 03-04-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gus738's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Watsonville, CA
Posts: 2,807
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
+1 i agree no no no no dont wait .
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

No.no.no
learn from panasonic-pricesinf8500 will only increase.....already have with June exit

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
gus738 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60
Gear in this thread - P60s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off