Panasonic: Confused about models + looking for recommendation (55'' bedroom set) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2014, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a 55-60 inch bedroom TV. The room is about 4.5x4 meters with a window perpendicular to the wall where the TV will be. Sun shines into the room only in the morning hours and I'll be using the TV mostly in the evening hours.

I'll be watching normal TV, movies (XBMC, BluRays, DVDs), and maybe playing some old games. Most important for me is picture quality when watching HD movies. Least imporant are any "Smart" features.

Budget is 1,500 Euro.

I read Panasonic makes the best Plasmas. My problem is that I am really confused about their models:

1. I read many reviews and comparisons but I cannot find the models mentioned there anywhere on Panasonics German website or Amazon Germany. For example, there is no TC-PxxST60 Series on their website but a TC-PxxSTW60 Series. I reckon the series are the same whereas the "W" indicates it's for the European/German market but... who knows..

That leads to my second point:

2. The mere number of different models on their website and the lack of explanation confuses me. I figured part of the model number refers to the screen size, but what's the difference between the TC-PxxSTW60 Series and the TC-PxxSTW50 Series? What's the difference between ETW, GT, GTW, STW, DTW, WT, WTW, VT, VTW, and ZT? What does an additional "E" at the end of the model number mean, as in TX-P55VT50E (something which, again, I couldn't find in any review)? How does that all relate to their "Reference", "Prime", "Next" lines and what do they mean?

Is there any explanation like "A models have this, whereas B models also have that" or "Z models have a thinner screen than Y models"?

Thank you for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 135
You may be better served posting these questions on an EU-based forum, as this place is geared towards the North American market. Model lineups and branding vary heavily from region to region. For example, Panasonic's 2013 NA lineup, from worst to best, went X60-S60-ST60-VT60-ZT60. There was no GT model for 2013 here. Other series (ET, DT, WT) are used for LED models and not plasmas. They also do not use the Prime and Next designations in their marketing here, but Reference is reserved for their best models. My best advice is get one while you can if they are still available in your region, as there will be no new plasmas from Panasonic for 2014 or beyond.
gus738 likes this.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
Old 03-02-2014, 03:24 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovesundays View Post

I'm looking for a 55-60 inch bedroom TV. The room is about 4.5x4 meters with a window perpendicular to the wall where the TV will be. Sun shines into the room only in the morning hours and I'll be using the TV mostly in the evening hours.

I'll be watching normal TV, movies (XBMC, BluRays, DVDs), and maybe playing some old games. Most important for me is picture quality when watching HD movies. Least imporant are any "Smart" features.

Budget is 1,500 Euro.

I read Panasonic makes the best Plasmas. My problem is that I am really confused about their models:

1. I read many reviews and comparisons but I cannot find the models mentioned there anywhere on Panasonics German website or Amazon Germany. For example, there is no TC-PxxST60 Series on their website but a TC-PxxSTW60 Series. I reckon the series are the same whereas the "W" indicates it's for the European/German market but... who knows..

That leads to my second point:

2. The mere number of different models on their website and the lack of explanation confuses me. I figured part of the model number refers to the screen size, but what's the difference between the TC-PxxSTW60 Series and the TC-PxxSTW50 Series? What's the difference between ETW, GT, GTW, STW, DTW, WT, WTW, VT, VTW, and ZT? What does an additional "E" at the end of the model number mean, as in TX-P55VT50E (something which, again, I couldn't find in any review)? How does that all relate to their "Reference", "Prime", "Next" lines and what do they mean?

Is there any explanation like "A models have this, whereas B models also have that" or "Z models have a thinner screen than Y models"?

Thank you for your help!

I'm not familiar with the European models, but I think W is just a suffix for different regions. So, it would actually read as

ET,DT,WT = all LCDs
ST,GT,VT,ZT = all plasmas.

Oh, and 60 model numbers are 2013 models while 50 model numbers are 2012 models, so you're comparing the ST60 against the ST50.

I have heard nothing but praises for the GT60, which is not sold in North America. Close black level as the VT60 and the ZT60, but at a price closer to the ST60.

Tags
Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60st60 by PriceGrabber.com