Survey: do you like the soap opera effect or do you hate it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

There have been many threads on AVS Forum about the soap opera effect. While the rest of the internet generally agrees that it's a bad thing, I've noticed a wider range of opinions around here. So I decided to make a survey about it. Since I have a plasma TV, I chose to post it here instead of the LCD forum.

I'm still trying to decide. My Samsung F8500 TV calls it the "Motion Judder Canceller" and it has 3 settings: Off, Standard and Smooth. When I bought the TV, I immediately changed it to Smooth. I didn't believe all the negative hype about the so-called soap opera effect. Soap operas are bad because they're boring, not because they have a high frame rate. There is no way a sci-fi/fantasy/action movie can possibly look like a soap opera. And in the age of broadband internet, is there anyone left who's bored enough to watch soap operas and remember what they look like?

Turns out I was wrong. I watched the scene from Journey To The Center Of The Earth where the main characters get attacked by killer plants, and even though it was supposed to take place at the center of the Earth, it looked like it was shot in an ordinary room. Since I never watch soap operas, I perceived it as a stage effect or a behind-the-scenes featurette effect rather than a soap opera effect. The Standard setting is far more tolerable.

Do you like the soap opera effect or do you hate it?

If you like it and your TV has more than one setting for it, which setting do you use?

Did you always like it, or did it take some time for you to get used to it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 659
You forgot the survey?
post #3 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 06:44 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Oops. biggrin.gif

In my case, I would only use soap-opera motion interpolation for judder-heavy 30hz console games provided the judder really is severe on default setting and is not really demanding in input lag. Back when I used to have CRTs, I hated all different kinds of motion blur algorithms incorporated into many of the games, but nowadays, I consider them a necessary evil.

Of course, for movies, there's no reason why I'd ever use it. The motion performance is very good on plasmas. It's not really necessary.
post #4 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I hate the SOE. Never will use MJC on my F8500. I find it horrendous.
tyler webb likes this.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

You forgot the survey?

Huh?

post #6 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 07:24 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpiker View Post

Huh?

You can actually create a survey when you're opening up a new thread.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

I'm more interested in reading individual responses than looking at graphs and numbers.

post #8 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post

Oops. biggrin.gif

In my case, I would only use soap-opera motion interpolation for judder-heavy 30hz console games provided the judder really is severe on default setting and is not really demanding in input lag. Back when I used to have CRTs, I hated all different kinds of motion blur algorithms incorporated into many of the games, but nowadays, I consider them a necessary evil.

First time I experienced this with the Blu-Ray player/Plasma as 24p smoothing was on max. This effect was worse than the Samsung LED Motion Plus. I only watched The Dark Knight Rises for 1 minute as the Bat was flying about the buildings. I honestly felt like I was ready to vomit since it was crazily fast. Had to switch it off.

I don't know what speed it was but it felt faster than 60fps. Felt like a fast fps shooter.

Quote:
Of course, for movies, there's no reason why I'd ever use it. The motion performance is very good on plasmas. It's not really necessary.

I detest it. Though I'm truly surprised with all the processing gimmicks off how fluid The Bat moves about and pops off the screen doing a right handed banked turn. Never saw judder or motion blur at all. Loved the scene over the water. Felt like I was in a real helicopter looking down to the ocean it was that smooth.

Tron Legacy, damn! So fluid and twinkly that film. Including the depth. Absolutely loved Tron Legacy and The Dark Knight Rises with the lights out.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I can't stand it! I Think it's one of the worst things to hit the industry over the last 10 years. It looks totally unnatural and plain wrong. The only time I can tolerate it is on a low setting with an animated movie. With regular movies, it should be against the law!!biggrin.gif
post #10 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpiker View Post

I'm more interested in reading individual responses than looking at graphs and numbers.
You used the term survey, not me. wink.gif
post #11 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 162
It makes everything look fake, not very popular with plasma videophiles. biggrin.gif

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #12 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Can't stand it. I turn OFF all processing on my ZT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

It makes everything look fake, not very popular with plasma videophiles. biggrin.gif

How does The Hobbit HFR compare to this?
post #14 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post

How does The Hobbit HFR compare to this?

HFR for 3D is a big improvement. They don't film at that rate for 2D.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-03-2014, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I hate soe!!! It has no business being implemented in plasmas other than ramping up the price for another useless feature so you believe your getting the best tv. It's a scam for plasmas and looks terrible on f8500's I have demoed. Buy an led lcd if you care about soe.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-04-2014, 03:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've read a lot of people on HDTV forums DONT like it.Probably why people like plasmas even with the abl.
post #17 of 20 Old 03-04-2014, 05:07 AM

I bet its awesome for video games.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-04-2014, 10:33 AM

I like to use it only for cartoons but I wish we had better control of refresh rates so there was no need for smoothing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob1.0 View Post

I bet its awesome for video games.

It makes input lag

--peteswede

post #19 of 20 Old 03-12-2014, 10:43 PM

Liked: 12

I love it!!! It made me want my first Samsung big screen LCD, an LN52B630. I happened to be walking through Fry's one day in the TV section and everything pretty much looked the same, with varying degrees of light and clarity. But then... I walked past a blu-ray of Pirates of The Carribean, on a Samsung LCD with "Motion Plus", where the camera was dealing with a lot of water and wood shots of a pirate ship. I was stunned!! The water looked so real, vivid, and wet. It was almost as if I touched the screen I would get soaked. I had never seen anything like it. When I finally got my own, I couldn't wait to watch DVD's I hadn't touched in years with a totally new experience. People say it makes things look fake, which I don't really understand, since all movies are fake. If anything film always looked like film, which of course... looks fake. But the video look, is in fact what looks real, because we've all seen ourselves on video tape with the same look... and we're real. Its like I'm there in the movie watching things happen, as opposed to being in my livingroom. It's an extra layer of the theatrical experience to me. I think primarily the taboo came from videophiles, who are dedicated to trying to see "the director's intent and vision". They seem to care less about what pleases them visually, and more about what pleased the filmaker. My F8500 stays on Smooth in all modes after it's calibration. That's my two cents.

mikevandyke1 likes this.

Vantage Point EVO mounting system
Samsung PN64F8500
Darbee DVP-5000
Onkyo TX-NR5008
Onkyo HT-S9400THX
Oppo BDP-103D
DirecTV HR-34 "Genie"
PS4 and 3ghz Custom HTPC

post #20 of 20 Old 03-12-2014, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Had a Samsung LCD set that had that "feature" but didn't keep it for other reasons, got a Samsung plasma instead. The plasma I have (PN59D8000) doesn't have a SOE setting and even if it did I wouldn't use it. Didn't know the newer Samsung plasmas had a setting for it...

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page