Panasonic TC-P60ST60 Burn IN - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-07-2014, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi Guys, 

This week I found a good deal I could not refuse. An open box panasonic st60 for $699, it was missing the remote, 3d glasses and stand. But after watching tv for a few hours, I noticed a "panasonic" logo burn on it. Called geek squad they came out, making a long story short, they cant replace the panel because a new panel is $1800 bucks and panasonic dont have the part. So I spoke with the store manager and they are willing to knock a couple hundred off that price if I want to keep the tv, and thats what I want to do. My question is, if there is a way to minimize the burn. I will post pictures so you guys can see. And if you have any advice as far as if I keep or return the tv. My budget for a tv is 700$, Can i get a better tv with that price? If i could minimize the burn it would be nice

. Thanks 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-07-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Google D Nice slides. Follow his instructions to run a slide show off of a sd card or thumb drive. See if you can get the image to fade by running the slides as much as possible. You should have a 15 day return period. If you can't minimize it by then return it. I bought my set from Best Buy off of the same Panasonic display but some how mine escaped getting any IR at all.

Pixel flipper on the Disney WoW disc works as well but the D Nice slides are free.

Living room: Sony 60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Zero w/Ten Sub, Panasonic BDT230.
Current Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4, Sony BDP-S5100, Darbee Darblet.
Future Man Cave: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Monoprice 106" Multi-Format Fixed Frame (Never again!).
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-07-2014, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Martin, I will try the D slides. I hope it goes away, other than that, I love the picture quality on this TV.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-08-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Another thing. I'm not made of money but if you only have $500 into the TV I would consider it worth the risk. I mean my iPad cost as much. Hell give it a year when warranties start expiring and you could probably part it out and get $500 for the boards etc. Certainly not a sure thing but not outside the realm of possibility if you went that route. Of course then you have the huge carcass of a panel to dispose of...

D Nice also has a well known article about how to tell the 'mileage' on your TV. It's guide possible that that logo is the result of thousands of hours of the same loop playing in torch mode. So it may never entirely fade. It just depends on if you can live with it or not. I was lucky...my Best Buy 50ST60 only had 800 hours on it. But I paid $607 for just the TV (not stand, remote or glasses) so your price is pretty cheap IMO.

Living room: Sony 60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Zero w/Ten Sub, Panasonic BDT230.
Current Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4, Sony BDP-S5100, Darbee Darblet.
Future Man Cave: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Monoprice 106" Multi-Format Fixed Frame (Never again!).
post #5 of 12 Old 03-08-2014, 10:48 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Can you see that Panasonic logo when watching TV or DVDs etc? Or only when displaying white or light colored solid backrounds?

There are two known methods that have been successful in washing away stubborn persistent IR and even mild burn-in.

A. The Pixel Flipper on the Disney World of Wonder Blu-Ray disc.

B. Connecting the TV to a computer and running the JScreenFix application on the TV's screen http://www.jscreenfix.com/screensaver.html

I would spend every hour of your 15 day return window running one of these overnight and all day and even during any period where you're not actually watching TV programs and see if it washes away that Panasonic image. Even if it just reduces it, that's a good sign that continuing the IR removal method after the 15 day window expires will eventually wash it away completely or to a level that it's barely noticeable during normal viewing. You have nothing to lose by doing this since if it fails to remove it or reduce it to your satisfaction then you can decide on day 14 if you want to keep it or return it.

To check the amount of hours the TV has been on:

Press Menu > scroll down to Help > select Version > then on the line that says Status4 the hours are shown after the letter. C2014-0000 for instance means it has 2,014 hours on it.

Press Exit when you're done. How many hours does your have on it? _______________

Even if that logo is permanent, for $500 on a 60" ST60 i'd be willing to train my brain to ignore it and just enjoy the hell out of that big TV wink.gif

BTW the part # for the correct remote for the ST60 series is the N2QAYB000837 (available from Panasonic's parts dept or EBay). Here's a post of mine to another 60ST60 owner who also did not get the remote or stand which may be of help to you:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/11400#post_24267807

Another option for the stand is to buy an inexpensive universal stand like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DZVPFGU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=EN89PQX99D5P&coliid=I1I3OZEXEJ6FAQ

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6 of 12 Old 03-09-2014, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Randy, 

Thanks for all your info. I cannot see the panasonic logo 95% of the time. When watching a movie on bluray is almost impossible to see it. I can only see it in light green, white, like a soccer game in which the green is shown most of the time, i can notice it more. As far as the price, i originally paid $699 and also bought a 5 year warranty in which they will replace that tv for a new one for the 699 price. I spoke with the manager today, he was able to bring it down to $550, not as much as I expected but he put the money back to the bestbuy card. I am leaning towards keeping the TV, just because I paid $550 and the 5 year warranty will cover me for a $699 TV in the future. I checked the hours it says C-3295-0000 which is probably alot of hours. One other thing i forgot to mentioned is the geek squad tech, says i need to replace the part that takes care of image retention, because it is taking longer then normal to wipe the image. I will do what you guys suggested for the 15 days and see what happens. I dont think i cant find such a good quality picture for 550 or even 699. I mounted it on a wall so it is looking good. I will get the remote as well. 

---Missing 2 3d glasses... the GM on bestbuy will talk with a panasonic rep and try to get it for me as well.

Thanks

post #7 of 12 Old 03-09-2014, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

That means it has been running for a total of 3295 hours.

Considering the life span of these TVs (100k hours) that's just a drop in the bucket but explains the IR since the TV was running a loop with that logo in Vivid mode for all those hours.

I think you are on the right track and have realistic expectations.
gus738 likes this.

post #8 of 12 Old 03-09-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh and it sounds like the geek squad tech is talking out of his $. If the logo is burned in it would require a panel replacement and that ain't happening with these sets being discontinued. I can't imagine whatever part he means...unless he means use a more effective means of scrubbing the screen like the pixel flipper on the WoW disc as opposed to the built in screen wipe...
gus738 likes this.

post #9 of 12 Old 03-10-2014, 08:15 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3theans View Post

Hey Randy,

Thanks for all your info. I cannot see the panasonic logo 95% of the time. When watching a movie on bluray is almost impossible to see it. I can only see it in light green, white, like a soccer game in which the green is shown most of the time, i can notice it more.

It sounds minor enough that i'd just keep that TV and hope that logo eventually washes away even if it takes several months.

Quote:
As far as the price, i originally paid $699 and also bought a 5 year warranty in which they will replace that tv for a new one for the 699 price. I spoke with the manager today, he was able to bring it down to $550, not as much as I expected but he put the money back to the bestbuy card. I am leaning towards keeping the TV, just because I paid $550 and the 5 year warranty will cover me for a $699 TV in the future.

That's still a smokin deal for a 60" ST60 floor model. As for the $699 cap on the warranty, hopefully they'll let you cash that out toward a more expensive TV if the ST60 fails in the future. And since their warranty supposedly covers burn-in, you can always keep that in your back pocket and cash in on the warranty if that Panasonic logo never ends up going away.

Quote:
I checked the hours it says C-3295-0000 which is probably alot of hours.

As noted that's a drop in the bucket compared to the projected panel life span of 100,000 hours till half brightness. A board will fail before that tongue.gif

Quote:
One other thing i forgot to mentioned is the geek squad tech, says i need to replace the part that takes care of image retention, because it is taking longer then normal to wipe the image.

There is no such part so he's full of crap.

The only way to get rid of IR is to wash it away over time with some of the known methods (Pixel Flipper, JScreen Fix, Pixar Movies, various Full Screen content etc). The TV's built-in Screen Wipe is more of a diagnostic tool and IR Placebo, it's not very effective at wiping away IR. Persistent IR from an abusive logo or HUD etc can take weeks or even months to get washed away. If it never ends up going away, then it gets reclassified as burn-in.

Quote:
I will do what you guys suggested for the 15 days and see what happens. I dont think i cant find such a good quality picture for 550 or even 699. I mounted it on a wall so it is looking good. I will get the remote as well.

Aside from the Samsung F8500 series Plasma and a couple of $6,000 OLED TVs, there isn't a TV currently being made that can approach the picture quality of the ST60. And none of the LED LCD TVs can touch it regardless of price.

The lighted remote for the VT60/ZT60 is nicer than the stock non-lighted ST60 remote if that's of any interest.

Quote:
---Missing 2 3d glasses... the GM on bestbuy will talk with a panasonic rep and try to get it for me as well.

Well at that price i wouldn't expect the glasses to be included anyway, but if he can't (or won't) get the Panny glasses for you i think the Samsung SSG-4100GB Active 3D Glasses work with this TV and they're less that $20 on Amazon. I have a pair of these that i experimented with on my GT50 and they worked fine, and i think they work on 2013 models (but i haven't tried them with my ST60 because i have almost zero interest in 3D).

I'd probably just keep that TV and continue the IR removal methods for the next several weeks (or months) and hope that does the trick. You can always "get your money back" later by invoking the warranty if that logo turns out to be burn-in and not persistent IR.
gus738 likes this.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #10 of 12 Old 03-11-2014, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Randy here is the geek squad report for the part they said it needs to replace. "tv has permanant screen burn in. Panasonic Logo clearly burned in. also has reftresh issue PDP not available from Panasonic also needs ocb SS. " So I decided to keep the TV and called in today for the to replace this part which i dont know what it is. Now the 'lady" i spoke to says, "you are saving 1200 dollars, cause thats how much you woud have to pay to replace that".. Now she says they will replace the panel? Its is kinda confusing. They will replace something that costs 1200..

post #11 of 12 Old 03-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

Oh and it sounds like the geek squad tech is talking out of his $. If the logo is burned in it would require a panel replacement and that ain't happening with these sets being discontinued. I can't imagine whatever part he means...unless he means use a more effective means of scrubbing the screen like the pixel flipper on the WoW disc as opposed to the built in screen wipe...

Sure it's permanent?

One of the guys in this video said somebody left a desktop on the screen that was burnt in. He rectified it. Guy on the left with the grey-ish hair.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-12-2014, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post

Sure it's permanent?

One of the guys in this video said somebody left a desktop on the screen that was burnt in. He rectified it. Guy on the left with the grey-ish hair.

Do you know off hand at what point in the video?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60st60 by PriceGrabber.com