Bay Area Calibration Tour by Chad B! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 04-14-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
In a month Chad B will make his first ever tour of the Bay Area, CA. There may be one slot left. If you still are on the fence or just found out, I'd make sure to secure it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 04-14-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Don't miss out folks, if you do you will regret it !

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #33 of 51 Old 05-01-2014, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Chad will be coming in approx two weeks time. Can't wait to hear everyone's reviews on this thread. smile.gif
post #34 of 51 Old 05-10-2014, 10:44 AM

Liked: 10
I'm interested also. Please count me in for Chad B's calibration services in the Bay Area.

Panasonic ZT60 - calibrated by Chad B
DirecTV - HR24-500
Denon 4308ci (setup as 7.1)
Panasonic DMP-BDT500 BluRay Player
Definitive Tech CS-8080HD, BP2002, BPX, BP2X
post #35 of 51 Old 05-10-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
I will be glad to do it Joe. Just send me your contact info and address and we can set a time.
johdtv likes this.
post #36 of 51 Old 05-11-2014, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

I see Chad has already reached out to you. Get it done! Might be awhile before he makes it out again. See you next Sat Chad! smile.gif
post #37 of 51 Old 05-11-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I'd love for him to come by, but this is just one of those things where the folks can't be in the house. They simply do not understand the price point of calibration, so the only way to get it in is to sneak it. I don't think they'll be out of town next week either. :/
post #38 of 51 Old 05-11-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Thanks everyone! I probably will not bring my audio gear since there has only been interest in video calibration so far.

Something to consider after you see how good your main display can look... I can often do a more basic, much less expensive calibration if you have a secondary display in need of some help. wink.gif
muffinmcfluffin likes this.
post #39 of 51 Old 05-14-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Who's the first AVS Bay Area member to get a calibration? Make sure to post a quick review on this thread and on HTWAIT's thread of your calibration. I'm set to go May 17th! Also if any members know of any great restaurants esp seafood or family activities to do please let Chad know your suggestions. If we can get his family to fall in love with the Bay we might be seeing a tour more often. smile.gif
Chad B likes this.
post #40 of 51 Old 05-15-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Chad is coming by tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to meeting him.
post #41 of 51 Old 05-15-2014, 07:32 PM

Liked: 13
I was first on Chad's agenda in the Bay Area. He arrived punctually at agreed upon time.

As far as the actual calibration, he asked me about my preferences. Now my TV room is not in the ideal location; there is skylight which brings in a lot of ambient light. In the evenings we have the option to watch in subdued lighting, but my better half prefers full lights. So, right away we decided to have a bright day mode in Prof1 and a night mode in Prof2 with consideration for ambient lighting in the room.

Chad then took a look at my settings and he immediately noticed gamma and color issues. He calibrated his meters and took initial measurements confirming his initial observations. He then proceeded onto actual fine tuning of the settings for the two modes. Finally, although I don't watch 3D content, he was gracious enough to upload his pre-calibrated 3D settings for 3D day mode.

During the four hours that Chad was here, he was courteous and politely answered all the questions I asked. He also took the time to explain what he was doing and trying to achieve with the calibration. In fact he went out his way to address queries about my VT60 that he didn't really need to; for example, I didn't really understand the functioning of "Source Direct" setting. He showed me how that setting corrected color issues on some patterns. Although he was not doing an audio calibration, he offered me suggestion to deal with a subwoofer hum issue. We also had an opportunity to chat about the industry, display technologies, my audiophilia hobby amongst other things. Since he is visiting with his family, I did give a few tips about day trips around the Bay Area. I hope he and his family enjoy their time in our beautiful part of the state.

Overall, I found him to be friendly, courteous and professional. I would highly recommend him to anyone seeking to get video or audio calibration.

PS: I have attached my pre and post calibration reports

65VT60Pro1day.pdf 2818k .pdf file
65VT60Pro2night.pdf 2082k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RishabhParekhPanasonic65VT60Pro1day.pdf (2.75 MB, 40 views)
File Type: pdf RishabhParekhPanasonic65VT60Pro2night.pdf (2.03 MB, 30 views)
Chad B likes this.
post #42 of 51 Old 05-16-2014, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
^^^^Very nice, Chad does an awesome job !! Enjoy smile.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #43 of 51 Old 05-16-2014, 10:11 AM
zel

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Chad calibrated my ZT60 last night and I'm very happy with the results.

He put a lot of effort first into understanding my typical viewing conditions, sources and material (and answering my questions on the setup possibilities). I think this was crucial in ending with the most useful settings for me. We chose a "day" setting with 2.2 gamma and high panel brightness for common viewing (blinds closed, but moderate levels of ambient light) and a "night"/"reference" setting with BT.1886 gamma and mid panel brightness for more critical viewing with only backlighting. 3D is a lower priority for me, but we chose TY-ER3D4MU (out of 3 different models I have) as the glasses to calibrate for.

The "day" setting was a nice surprise. I had never really considered that panel brightness high might be usable outside of very bright environments where the picture quality is already compromised. The standard THX bright room setting has awful colors, issues with gradients and a lot of dithering noise.

Chad's "day" setting is excellent. It is bright (not too bright, just right) and accurate. (I reserve the right to rave more about it after more viewing.)

The "reference" setting looked even better. I was initially concerned about the higher gamma, but I think it will be perfect. (Again, I reserve the right to rave more about it after more viewing. smile.gif )

I am very happy to have the choice between the modes, and having the "day" mode set for moderate ambient light instead of maximum possible output gives me a 2.2 gamma mode I can fall back to if BT.1886 doesn't give good results. I think this was a very good call by Chad and I'm glad he took the time to really figure out how my TV is used.

The 3D picture ended up being much more accurate than I thought would be possible with the glasses. Can't wait to try some 3D just to enjoy the new picture.

Chad worked a long day to get my TV up to his standards and the results speak for themselves. Not only are the measurements very good, he also made sure that the picture matches the nice numbers.

My old TV is a calibrated Kuro, so out of the box the ZT60 was a little frustrating. It has a great filter and black levels, it is clearly capable of very good picture quality, but the THX modes just looked wrong, and even the custom mode that I finally settled on had some issues. After Chad's calibration, the ZT60 is clearly an upgrade.

To sum up my experience: ZT60 should be calibrated. Chad and his calibration are excellent.
Chad B and chunon like this.
post #44 of 51 Old 05-20-2014, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Will post a review after a few more days to continue to watch my set.

Short review: I like it smile.gif
post #45 of 51 Old 05-21-2014, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

I was trying to temper my sky high expectations after all that I've read of Chad B's work on AVS.

"Is it worth it?"

Like every other review Chad showed up promptly and got right to work. He was willing to have me sit, watch and ask questions. We talked about my viewing habits and what kind of picture I was looking for. I have a newborn and so left him to his devices. After four hours he called me back to go over his settings. My initial reaction was that the changes were subtle but noticeable. My expectations were so high that I was unsure if they had been met. We went over scenes in the Dark Knight Rises as well as cable tv. Blurays did look great in color accuracy, flesh tones and depth.

He was able to increase my fl from 29fl to 50fl. This was the most noticeable improvement. It's probably like someone going wine tasting for the first time and judging solely by sugar content. However, Chad was able to brighten my display without losing color accuracy (minimal at most) or oversaturating the picture. When I would flip between my Custom setting and Chad's Pro settings I could really see the difference. I also had a problem of the reds being pushed too much that he fixed as well as the blues being a bit too cool.

The more time I have spent watching my calibrated set the more I appreciate it. There are plenty of people that would not care to calibrate their set. I can say that I am glad that I had it done and by one of the best.

Thanks Chad for coming all the way out to CA. Hope you and your family had a wonderful time!
Chad B likes this.
post #46 of 51 Old 05-22-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 405
This is so true. In time you will appreciate it even more and let me tell you: there is no going back to watching inaccurate color again. I cringe when I see other people's non calibrated displays.

Chad really does phenomenal work.

post #47 of 51 Old 05-22-2014, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I guess I'm not that particular about color, unless the set is hideously off (my ZT60 in its THX bright room setting and its hideous greenish push). I did have my prior Kuro calibrated, so I can appreciate the overall accuracy it provides.
post #48 of 51 Old 05-22-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My VT60 looked so much better after he cal'd it compared to THX mode. I was getting more of a red push than green, but only had around 400 hours if I recall.

Gamma also looked MUCH better after cal.

post #49 of 51 Old 05-29-2014, 03:20 PM

Liked: 14
Chad calibrated my ZT60 on May 19th. Prof. 1 was calibrated as night mode via Power Law, Gamma 2.2; Prof. 2 was calibrated to BT1886, Gamma 2.4. I'm a happy camper.

PanasonicZT60Pro1.pdf 2837k .pdf file

PanasonicZT60Pro2BT1886.pdf 2018k .pdf file

Brian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PanasonicZT60Pro1.pdf (2.77 MB, 15 views)
File Type: pdf PanasonicZT60Pro2BT1886.pdf (1.97 MB, 14 views)
Chad B likes this.
post #50 of 51 Old 06-03-2014, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I wanted to review my ZT60 calibration done by Chad now that I had some time with viewing it.

The short review: Beyond Excellent!

I will add to all the great comments about Chad that other forum members have said. He's prompt, highly professional, honest, and just plain nice guy.

He reminded me of Jack McBrayer's character in Thirty Rock, someone you would trust your precious ZT60 with knowing you'll get a picture that rivals any display out there and better than any movie theater out there. That's how good the results turned out.

Knowing that Chad would be calibrating my ZT60 during his Bay Area tour, I did as much panel prep slides (200+hrs) and watched the next 500+ hrs using various settings on here, including Dnice's day/night.

Chad has some serious gear for calibrations and the results were obvious compared to Dnice's updated settings.

Chad corrected the color saturation inaccuracies, eliminated the black and white crush, and got my panel brighter day 53.5 fl and night 33.5 fl. The picture from OTA HD broadcasts and Blu-Ray are perfect!

I can't recommend Chad enough for anyone who wants the best out of their display. I hope he returns when my audio setup is ready, I know he'll do an equally good job with that.
Chad B likes this.
post #51 of 51 Old 06-03-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post

I hope he returns when my audio setup is ready, I know he'll do an equally good job with that.

Speaking from experience with two different audio systems he calibrated for me, you will be very impressed.

With one of my systems I had actually been contemplating new speakers in my living room until after the calibration and I was then thrilled with them.
Chad B likes this.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page