Plasma VS LED.....need educated opinions please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-09-2014, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys, need some help here. i was looking to grab a Panasonic st60, but to make a long story short, i missed out ( cant find them anywhere ). So, here is where I'm at.... I need a new tv, something near 50" or so. I prefer plasmas over lcd's,( for all the know reasons ), but the room i am going to be putting this in has a pair of windows directly behind it, so reflection is my main concern here. i read that the st60 was great at having minimal glare. is there a particular reason why it was so good? i read somethings about newer or more expensive plasmas having technology in them to help or reduce or almost eliminate glare.

With the ST60 gone and only Samsung and LG still making plasmas, is there a runner up to the st60? i only have about $1000 to spend. I was looking to grab a Samsung UN50F6300 since it had pretty good reviews ( but I really didnt want to go to and lcd if I dont have to ). Currently, my only flat screens are 42" samsung plasma that i purchased about 4 years ago ( pn42a450p1dxza ) and a 60hz samsung 32" led ( un32d4000 ). I know that none of these tv's have elite capabilities, but all in all they are both fine by me. The lcd does suffer some blurring during fast motion ( like when I watch hockey ), so i am afraid of dropping $1000 on an lcd ( even though, if i go with and lcs it would be at least a 120hz model ) and not liking the picture quality.

Am i making too much of an issue out of all this? I am not a gamer and just want a good tv with a good picture and color.....but reflection and glare is also something i need to keep in mind. I'd like to stick with plasma so long as i can have minimal reflection / glare from the windows that will be opposite of the tv.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-10-2014, 03:57 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 128

Are the windows going to be behind the TV, or do the windows face the TV?

ADU
post #3 of 7 Old 03-10-2014, 04:50 PM

Liked: 11
If you are using the TV mainly in the evening go with a nice new Samsung or LG plasma. Both give a real nice picture. If you watch a lot during the day think seriously about some shades for those windows especially if you have bright light coming in. Happy shopping!
post #4 of 7 Old 03-11-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 558
the anti-reflective coatings that help in these situations can be put on both plasma and LCD tv's. you can not buy a tv based on the backlight technology, if you are worried about the screen coating it has. it's like trying to make a decision on whether or not you buy plasma or LCD because you want to stream netflix...

unfortunately, i do not think you will find a perfect solution for only 1000bux. you will need to accept some reflections, and a dimmer(but still bright enough to watch imo) image, or the nasty LCD backlighting. i don't think there's any tv with a great AR coating for that price. the 5series samsung plasma has been getting good reviews for a budget set. i could be wrong, but i heard it was brighter than the s60, which would be my other recommendation if you can't afford a vt60 or f8500
post #5 of 7 Old 03-11-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuopf View Post

hey guys, need some help here. i was looking to grab a Panasonic st60, but to make a long story short, i missed out ( cant find them anywhere ). So, here is where I'm at.... I need a new tv, something near 50" or so. I prefer plasmas over lcd's,( for all the know reasons ), but the room i am going to be putting this in has a pair of windows directly behind it, so reflection is my main concern here. i read that the st60 was great at having minimal glare. is there a particular reason why it was so good? i read somethings about newer or more expensive plasmas having technology in them to help or reduce or almost eliminate glare.

With the ST60 gone and only Samsung and LG still making plasmas, is there a runner up to the st60? i only have about $1000 to spend. I was looking to grab a Samsung UN50F6300 since it had pretty good reviews ( but I really didnt want to go to and lcd if I dont have to ). Currently, my only flat screens are 42" samsung plasma that i purchased about 4 years ago ( pn42a450p1dxza ) and a 60hz samsung 32" led ( un32d4000 ). I know that none of these tv's have elite capabilities, but all in all they are both fine by me. The lcd does suffer some blurring during fast motion ( like when I watch hockey ), so i am afraid of dropping $1000 on an lcd ( even though, if i go with and lcs it would be at least a 120hz model ) and not liking the picture quality.

Am i making too much of an issue out of all this? I am not a gamer and just want a good tv with a good picture and color.....but reflection and glare is also something i need to keep in mind. I'd like to stick with plasma so long as i can have minimal reflection / glare from the windows that will be opposite of the tv.

Thoughts?
post #6 of 7 Old 03-11-2014, 09:21 AM

I would definitely go plasma. Look for ones for sell on here.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-11-2014, 09:22 AM

Just put curtains up.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un50f6300 50 Inch Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un32d4000 32 Inch 720p 60 Hz Led Hdtv Black 2011 Model
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page