Hi, I just wanted to show you my home theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2014, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi, My name is Jonathan and I finally got finished completing my home theater. I post pictures below but Ill explain what I have in my room away from the wife and kids, except for my son he loves games and 3d movies to. I have a 92" Mitsubishi the has an amazing picture it actually has a better picture than my 50" samsung LED. Ok Mt Theater I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 3600 running the sound with two 6 inch Cerwin Vegas Speaker Center at the bottom of my set up and an Infinity center Channel running the top highs. I have two front speakers that are the front left and right speakers and there Cerwin Vegas k-12 which has a 12" along with a 6" plus a 4" tweeter topping of in the cone shape at the top. The for my side speaker I have 2 8" sub and a 4" tweeter for my side speakers. Then I have 4 Infinity Speakers for my Back Speakers that are awesome it actually sounds like the people are right behind you because the speakers are so intune with the AVR. I have it running off Hi Def DVR, Plus I have a Sony 3d Blu Ray Player then to the goodies I have an "XBOX ONE" and a" Playstation 4" which is awesome with my set up. I Almost forgot that I run it all with a Harmony Remote that is a touch screen and I programmed to when I want to watch a 3d movie it turns everything on and the settings for watching a movie, then if I want to play XBOX ONE It hit the button and say XBOX ON and I'm ready to play. I made a shelf to hold my XBOX ONE Charging decks for the remotes and also the decks for the PS4 and my Harmony remote and hold all of my 3D glasses. Then I mount XBOX and PLAYSTATION neon signs that light up the room which is wicked. Plus I have Powered Cerwin Vega 15" for the low rumble then I have a 10"powered Cerwin Vega sub for the pop. Ill see if I can add pictures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
that is theater, and since it is at home then it is a home theater!!!...nice set up...i like it...

that 92" mitsubihi...is that a dlp?..what is it?...
Old 03-13-2014, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 73

Looks good!  Although that seems like an awfully excessive amount of speakers.. but you could build your own version of Dolby Atmos!

Do you watch movies with those neon signs lit up?  Seems like that would be over-powering the tv, and cause some eye strain.. sure looks cool with the lights off though!  

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
Old 03-13-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 972
don't take this the wrong way, cause i think we're all a little guilty of this, but that's looks like way too much equipment for that room. it would be great in a room twice that size, but it's pretty obtrusive in that one. i also have a smaller room, and i found that quality over the quantity is definitely the way to go. that being said, i haven't really got quality either tongue.gif

again, don't take it the wrong way, more like a, 'that will be pretty sweet when you put it in a larger room'

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Old 03-13-2014, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quite the setup.All you need is pizza and beer.
gus738 likes this.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post

Looks good!  Although that seems like an awfully excessive amount of speakers.. but you could build your own version of Dolby Atmos!

Do you watch movies with those neon signs lit up?  Seems like that would be over-powering the tv, and cause some eye strain.. sure looks cool with the lights off though!  
When I play or watch Tv those are off. It would be too much
Old 03-14-2014, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah its a DLP and since Mitsubishi got out of the TV Game I bought six bulbs for $150 on the replacement bulbs so Im good for years. Plus it can be updated to 2160/ 1440 but that's years away. Having that many speakers makes it sound better than any Imax it makes you jump with the bass and you actually things are behind you when you here something. I would take my set up over a movie theaters anyday
gus738 likes this.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Plus it can be updated to 2160/ 1440 but that's years away. Having that many speakers makes it sound better than any Imax it makes you jump with the bass and you actually things are behind you when you here something. I would take my set up over a movie theaters anyday. I have never hearda theater like mine even from from a friend of mine you has spent three times what I did and he spent a ton on bose and he envies me. It is a little small but if you would test it out I think
gus738 likes this.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

I love the Subs because you get the hit that makes you jump and the rumble from the 15" keeps it going.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

I built this on my own and I layed down the insulation and then the Dynex the sound barrier so its hard to hear when anyone is in there. even the barrier blocks the sub and that Amazez me. I actually have Subs and surround sound in my family room with a 65" TV with a sub and surround. Family room 50" plasma sub and two twelves in my floor speaker and then in the wifes and I bedroom we have a 65" widescreen HDTV which is for sale..
Old 03-14-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just a tip/observation, you posted this in the plasma section, it would be more at home in X section. (don't know specifically because I haven't gone through the site structure since I first joined(07maybe? ).

You mentioned the TV can be upgraded, is that by switching DLP chips and software?

Gotta agree with others that this would be much more at home in a bigger room, 2-3x the room currently, then these babies can really shine! Did you buy the Vega 's new, and if so when? I've got some Vega separates from 99 in my car still, thought they folded though.

That system must really have some pop in it!

One suggestion, grab a d6500 light source for behind the TV. Could set things to turn on the light and turn off the neon when going dark for 'theater mode'.

Regards, (for the vast majority of people :-p)

Steve
Old 03-14-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Since we're offering advice, I think your center channel speaker would benefit from being a shelf higher. You would get clearer dialogue.
gus738 likes this.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigger21 View Post

Plus it can be updated to 2160/ 1440 but that's years away. Having that many speakers makes it sound better than any Imax it makes you jump with the bass and you actually things are behind you when you here something. I would take my set up over a movie theaters anyday. I have never hearda theater like mine even from from a friend of mine you has spent three times what I did and he spent a ton on bose and he envies me. It is a little small but if you would test it out I think

again, I think your set up would be alright, it's just overpowering in that space. lights out viewing is probably pretty fun, but I also like to entertain ppl with the lights on, and I think playing a Kinect game in that room might be dangerous, haha

only thing that really matters is your satisfaction though

Old 03-14-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

again, I think your set up would be alright, it's just overpowering in that space. lights out viewing is probably pretty fun, but I also like to entertain ppl with the lights on, and I think playing a Kinect game in that room might be dangerous, haha

only thing that really matters is your satisfaction though

That's the important part right there.

Please don't be offended, we are just giving some friendly advice for some things to try. Easy stuff like moving the center channel, or putting a d6500 light behind the TV. Contrary to popular belief you don't want to watch in complete darkness. D6500 is the color temperature that TV's are calibrated to, if you have your TV calibrated or get lucky and one of the warm color temps is close. The little bit of backlight makes everything much r easier on the eyes, and because it's 6500k color temp it won't mess with the colors like an off the shelf incandescent or led or cfl bulb will.

These couple of easy improvements will have your buddy eating his heart out even more!
gus738 likes this.

Steve
Old 03-14-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Really awesome setup! i dont believe its too much but i agree the center will be better place above more to the listening ear , i am deaf(ok not deaf but my hearing is very very bad) so that sound would be awesome and nice that you thought of sound proofing waves better for you and better for your neibours

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
Old 03-14-2014, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Isn't it strange how the TV looks small until you see photo 8 with the size of the Playstation 4. Then it's, that thing is huge! eek.gif

Good god! 92 inch. That would nearly fill my wall.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 View Post

Really awesome setup! i dont believe its too much but i agree the center will be better place above more to the listening ear , i am deaf(ok not deaf but my hearing is very very bad) so that sound would be awesome and nice that you thought of sound proofing waves better for you and better for your neibours

The sound proofing is nice, but if everything was disconnected except the mains and that Kardon can drive those main Vega's anywhere near their top end with dB all starts or dB drag disc you probably couldn't stand being in that room. Crank the powered sub amps up too and you'd probably be shaking stuff off the walls and windows in the area wouldn't be safe. Those things can move some serious air! I think I'd lock up the remote so the kids don't accidently crank it or 'butt' crank it.

Those babies are no joke. I thought they went out of business actually. Going to go do some checking. The 5-1/4" woofers and 1" tweeters I put in my car sounded absolutely excellent. Want to find out if they have some bookshelf with the titanium domes tweeters as I don't like the horns myself. I've got a pair of B&W bookshelf speakers as my mains and either need to replace them and put them into surround use or find a pair of something to use as surrounds.

I gotta say it would be real fun to play some CoD on that system! Plus if a move gave a bigger space he is set, just gotta give the speakers a little extra leash. If I ever get my dream HT space I've gotta go out and buy all new speakers. Some floor standing full range monitors would be great so I don't have to run music to a separate sub.
gus738 likes this.

Steve
Old 03-16-2014, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg86300 View Post

Just a tip/observation, you posted this in the plasma section, it would be more at home in X section. (don't know specifically because I haven't gone through the site structure since I first joined(07maybe? ).

You mentioned the TV can be upgraded, is that by switching DLP chips and software?

Gotta agree with others that this would be much more at home in a bigger room, 2-3x the room currently, then these babies can really shine! Did you buy the Vega 's new, and if so when? I've got some Vega separates from 99 in my car still, thought they folded though.

That system must really have some pop in it!

One suggestion, grab a d6500 light source for behind the TV. Could set things to turn on the light and turn off the neon when going dark for 'theater mode'.

I wouldn't trade my theater for nothing, if your not into gaming or movies that you don't understand the challenge of trying to scare the **** out of a movie watcher or even myself playing Rising dead three.
gus738 likes this.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 View Post

Thanks Gus, all of haters who have 9 tweeters still have the highs blaring and think they have a kickin theater. to small, go on and don't say anything at all if its not nice at all..Jealous h8ers
gus738 likes this.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Who here would not be enthusiasts of either gaming or movies? eek.gif I don't see any hating, just a constructive discussion under way.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

I wouldn't trade my theater for nothing, if your not into gaming or movies that you don't understand the challenge of trying to scare the **** out of a movie watcher or even myself playing Rising dead three.

I'd love to see Alien/Aliens on that 92 inch. Sounds awesome for slimy monsters.

Curious though, whats the black levels like on your set?
Old 03-16-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Who here would not be enthusiasts of either gaming or movies? eek.gif I don't see any hating, just a constructive discussion under way.

Seriously. I wasn't hating one bit! Just made the observation that in a bigger room you could really let those suckers loose!

As for the light, I did forget to say that if you're playing a horror flick you can turn it off to be in total darkness.

My other comments were to how bad ass those Vega's are.

Regards,
Steve

Steve
Old 03-16-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post

Isn't it strange how the TV looks small until you see photo 8 with the size of the Playstation 4. Then it's, that thing is huge! eek.gif

Good god! 92 inch. That would nearly fill my wall.

it looks small cause those speakers are HUGE, haha.

I've looked at the pics a few times and it still doesn't compute that it's a 92inch screen! i'm sitting here with a 100" projection screen and it's blowing my mind that his tv is basically the same size, haha.

I will say, good call on stocking up on bulbs. I never had a DLP myself, but I've never been that happy with the flat screen offerings. I do wish my CRT RPTV was still in good working order, and 92inches big tongue.gif

Old 03-17-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My AVR3600 is able to handle 7.1 which is used because 7 of my speakers have their own Amps then I used the the power from the Amp to pound out one center and the surround sound speakers creating un real surround sound and unreal front and side speakers. So mainly the AVR 3600 is pushing 1 center channel and the other has its own amp 6 of my surround sound. By tinkering with my Harmon Kardon I rerouted the front channel power to the surround sound speakers giving me the front left and right power soldered parralel into the surround sound speaker and my side speakers also routed to the second surround sound speakers ran in parallel with the side speaker so it punches 175 watts each for the (4) of my surround speakers. Took some time but I got it exactly where the wattage is needed. If you wondering if the Harmon Kardon Warranty is still intact, I want to say yes, but I cant. The spider web on the inside would amaze even them, Each speaker was tested with an oscilloscope and I go the wattage I was hoping for throughout my theater.That extra wattage can make those Infinity speakers show their full potentially
Old 03-17-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

it looks small cause those speakers are HUGE, haha.

I've looked at the pics a few times and it still doesn't compute that it's a 92inch screen! i'm sitting here with a 100" projection screen and it's blowing my mind that his tv is basically the same size, haha.

I will say, good call on stocking up on bulbs. I never had a DLP myself, but I've never been that happy with the flat screen offerings. I do wish my CRT RPTV was still in good working order, and 92inches big tongue.gif

It was a little to big" was a little to big I should have got an 82" , I have a 65" Sony CRT from 2002 All I have had to do is adjust my crt colors when the screen is black. The Green was overbearing so I got instructions on what to do. I just had to remove the plastics in the front under the screen and adjust the potentiometer marked green and after that is was like new again. If they work so freakin heavy and big its the most reliable widescreen I can relay. I also have a 65" DLP in the living room and a 50" in the family room, I was in the family room then I heard a pop and the living room TV was out and I opened the lamp corridor and it was like the lamp imploded I sucked it all out with a small vacuum. I love my DLPs because there is no lagging or pixelation in the dark. It sucks because My 65" CRT is a nice HDTV but only worth $400 now. and I just cant let that Size of HDTV . I have it in my Game room and its a good place because if it gets hit with a pool stick it can handle it.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It was a little to big" was a little to big I should have got an 82" , I have a 65" Sony CRT from 2002 All I have had to do is adjust my crt colors when the screen is black. The Green was overbearing so I got instructions on what to do. I just had to remove the plastics in the front under the screen and adjust the potentiometer marked green and after that is was like new again. If they work so freakin heavy and big its the most reliable widescreen I can relay. I also have a 65" DLP in the living room and a 50" in the family room, I was in the family room then I heard a pop and the living room TV was out and I opened the lamp corridor and it was like the lamp imploded I sucked it all out with a small vacuum. I love my DLPs because there is no lagging or pixelation in the dark. It sucks because My 65" CRT is a nice HDTV but only worth $400 now. and I just cant let that Size of HDTV . I have it in my Game room and its a good place because if it gets hit with a pool stick it can handle it.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

trust me, I feel your pain. my 46 hitachi 'started to decrease in picture quality'(it developed some weird internal reflections, and rainbows in mixed brightness content. I also noted it wasn't displaying below black anymore) about 5yrs ago and I went on the hunt for a new tv. I've bought many since, and until the f8500 I picked up this year, none were even close to be as good. what was more frustrating for me, was that while I was looking at these 50" plasmas and LCD's selling for 1-2grand locally, I was also seeing the mitsubishi's like yours selling for less money, but they weren't sold anywhere near here. I would have loved to get a 65 or even larger DLP instead of the pos plasma I bought for a grand. man that tv was terrible, and it wasn't even a bad plasma.

but, I am happy with my f8500 now. while it's still nowhere near 'did I leave the tv on?' black, and has crazy amounts of input lag, it's overall picture quality is as good as I remember the old CRT being, but about 100lbs lighters tongue.gif
gus738 likes this.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:37 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:

Hi, My name is Jonathan and I finally got finished completing my home theater.

So... how much did you spend on the HDMI cables in your setup...?

I'm like a beaver...
A hot little beaver...
Old 04-12-2014, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My Harman Kardon has a microphone that you set up in the middle of the room and you set it at the level you will watch or play at and it automatically adjust the speakers to the right sounds to make it sound real all the way around. It pretty awesome expecially playing games because if you have an attack on the right it will make sounds from the right. When I first hooked it up it was insane how on point everything was and watching 3D movies is unreal too I love my home theater and the sound is definitely on point
Old 05-09-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
was the center speaker moved to listening ear?

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 3600 80 Watt X 7 1 Channel High Performance Home Theater Receiver Black , Xbox One Games , Xbox Console