My Panasonic TC-P55VT30 died, have warranty credit, now what? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-13-2014, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some advice from you experts at there. My beloved Panasonic Plasma gave me the blinking red light dance. Although it is still under a BB extended warranty, it has been officially listed as dead/not worthy of further repair/service. After trying to repair it 4 separate times spanning 5 weeks with new parts each time, Geeksquad gave up and issued me a $2000 credit to get a new TV a BB. I'd like a new plasma of equal specification and picture quality, and will go a size larger if I have to. I won't go LED...no way Jose. I watch too many action movies, sports.

I was shocked to find that plasmas are no longer going to be available (or already aren't), in favor of LEDs. Yet LEDs are nowhere near a match in picture quality in terms of motion blur and black levels, in my opinion. Can someone give me some good alternatives if BB can't find me a Panny? I looked at the Panasonic website and couldn't believe the prices had gone up thousands of dollars since I purchased mine in 2012. Are the newer ZT60 and VT60 models that much better or was my $2000 VT30 unit not "top of the line" back then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-13-2014, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Samsung PNxxF8500 is the best plasma you can still buy. It's brightest plasma out there and rivals the higher end Panasonic Plasmas.

post #3 of 11 Old 03-13-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_fo View Post

Need some advice from you experts at there. My beloved Panasonic Plasma gave me the blinking red light dance. Although it is still under a BB extended warranty, it has been officially listed as dead/not worthy of further repair/service. After trying to repair it 4 separate times spanning 5 weeks with new parts each time, Geeksquad gave up and issued me a $2000 credit to get a new TV a BB. I'd like a new plasma of equal specification and picture quality, and will go a size larger if I have to. I won't go LED...no way Jose. I watch too many action movies, sports.

I was shocked to find that plasmas are no longer going to be available (or already aren't), in favor of LEDs. Yet LEDs are nowhere near a match in picture quality in terms of motion blur and black levels, in my opinion. Can someone give me some good alternatives if BB can't find me a Panny? I looked at the Panasonic website and couldn't believe the prices had gone up thousands of dollars since I purchased mine in 2012. Are the newer ZT60 and VT60 models that much better or was my $2000 VT30 unit not "top of the line" back then?

Yes it's unfortunate that Panasonic has stop plasma production as they where the best plasmas produced since Pioneer Kuro Elites. The ST60/VT60/ZT60 are that much better than your VT30. If you can find one, if not I would get the Samsung F8500 which is the next best thing to the Panasonics. Good luck in your choice.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #4 of 11 Old 03-13-2014, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Latinoheat, thanks for the response. Out of curiosity, was the VT30 the top of the line for Panasonic 2 years ago? I thought I bought the best product at the time. If it wasn't, I want to know what specs or technology made or makes the higher end versions better than mine?
post #5 of 11 Old 03-13-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Latinoheat, thanks for the response. Out of curiosity, was the VT30 the top of the line for Panasonic 2 years ago? I thought I bought the best product at the time. If it wasn't, I want to know what specs or technology made or makes the higher end versions better than mine?

Yes your VT30 was the top of the line of 2011. Fast forward to 2013-2014 They have improved in many ways, just do some research. Better blacks,contrast, etc. Although it is not a drastic crazy difference but a very good improvement. Plasma still have better picture quality than LCD's, although this year there are some new contenders coming, so we will see how they perform. Oled is still expensive , although LG Oled have come down in price as well.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #6 of 11 Old 03-13-2014, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Curious, how much could they have improved on the VT30 to justify nearly tripling the price to level of the ZT60? It can't be all the fancy software and interactivity they throw in there nowadays...
post #7 of 11 Old 03-13-2014, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Curious, how much could they have improved on the VT30 to justify nearly tripling the price to level of the ZT60? It can't be all the fancy software and interactivity they throw in there nowadays...

No it doesn't have to do with any of the smart crappy features. It's about the picture quality.

post #8 of 11 Old 03-13-2014, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:

Look at it another way: You're getting PQ on par with a Kuro for a fraction of the price.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-14-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:

Let's just say the ST60 offers better PQ then the VT50 which was top of the line the prior year. The ST60 is the third step down from the top in the 2013 Panny line. So the third level down TV in 2013 beat out the top of the line TV from 2012. That should put things into a better perspective on how much better the ZT60 will be then a VT30.

Also, the interactivity really doesn't play a role in their pricing. You are truly paying for better PQ in each step up. For example, the VT60 has a built in camera as well as front firing speakers while the ZT60 lacks both of these features and still cost more then the VT60.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-14-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
I agree the 2013 models improved on the 2012 models but the ST60 did not exceed the VT50 in pq, very very close but I owned both and the VT50 is the overall better set. Now compared to the 2011 models vast improvement

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #11 of 11 Old 03-14-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I just went from a 6 year old Panasonic Pz80 to a Samsung F8500 about 3 weeks ago- Very happy with it. Picture is wonderful. Do not pay full price for it though. Search for sale.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page