Samsung PN60F5500/PN64F5500 vs PN64H5000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-27-2014, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Family member is looking at TV's (Hi Uncle Phil!) and since I hadn't done it in a while I decided to do some research. Seems for a more mid-budget customer who is not going to spend $3k+ on a larger TV, these are the top choices in the 60-65" range. Been trying to look into how the 64F5500 picture (which isn't Pentile) compares to the newer 64H5000 picture (which is Pentile); the 60F5500 is Pentile though. Other plus of the F5500 is network connectivity and smart TV features (for those that want them). Was wondering what others thought about these 2/3 options. Which would you rather have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-28-2014, 01:22 AM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky2 View Post

Family member is looking at TV's (Hi Uncle Phil!) and since I hadn't done it in a while I decided to do some research. Seems for a more mid-budget customer who is not going to spend $3k+ on a larger TV, these are the top choices in the 60-65" range. Been trying to look into how the 64F5500 picture (which isn't Pentile) compares to the newer 64H5000 picture (which is Pentile); the 60F5500 is Pentile though. Other plus of the F5500 is network connectivity and smart TV features (for those that want them). Was wondering what others thought about these 2/3 options. Which would you rather have?

Really difficult to answer. The F5500 uses last gen plasma tech, but is not pentile. The H5000 uses latest tech to get blacks as good as the F8500 if not better, but is pentile.

It might help better with your question if you can also tell us the kind of contents he's watching usually. But generally for someone with long viewing distance, the pentile arra effect weakens, so I would recommend the H5000 in that case. If your uncle Phil is also considering receiving any professional calibration, consider the F5300 as well. The F5500 does not have calibration options as advanced as the F5300 and the H5000. If he going to be watching it in daytime? An IR filter will help in such cases but alas, non of the Samsung plasmas except for the F8500 has any kind of filter.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-28-2014, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I sent the 60 in f5300 back to costco after having it for 2 months. It had a dead white subpixel that showed up as a red dot in white or light blue scenes. That was my excuse for taking it back but I was not thrilled with the pentile display as I sit fairly close to the Tv in a small AV room. Most content it is fine but some content you notice it and are reminded you didn't purchase a true 1080p set. I ordered the 64F5500 from Amazon. I think it will be fine in a dark room as blacks and color rendition were good on the former sister set.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page