Should I upgrade to an Samsung PN51F5300 a Panasonic TC-P50S60 or other....? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-03-2014, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am considering upgrading my Panasonic TH-37PWD8UK which I have been extremely happy with. I purchased it in 2005 after researching very carefully here. I am still amazed with the picture quality.
I had the 37 because it fit precisely into a recessed opening in the river rock wall/mantle in our living room. I am now in a condo and the IKEA system I built allows for a bigger display.
My aging eyes seem to strain at times and I do find myself pondering a larger picture. Measuring the space – a 50 inch (or Samsung 51) seem to be the optimal size.
Main viewing area is about 15 feet away. Viewing is exclusively in the evening or night. Content is almost entirely movies and broadcast series that are fed through a home theatre box. I do watch the occasional hockey game as well, however we do not watch any television programming (no cable or digital TV service at all). The kids play the occasional Wii game. No Netflix… but everything is sourced over the web. I do not want 3D and I do not want anything ‘smart’ – we don’t twit or face and any other web interaction is done on much more capable devices.
I currently prefer 720p, as the native resolution of my TH-37PWD8UK matches perfectly and 1080p just consumes more bandwidth without a noticeable improvement in PQ. A new display will most certainly be 1080p so I will move to 1080p as my default resolution. A very sharp viewing angle is required for when I am in the kitchen off to the extreme right. Reflection is currently an issue with lights, but I have minimized that with dimmer switches and positioning.

So…. Seems like Plasma is the way to go. Either a Panasonic or a Samsung in a 50 or 51 inch model. I am leaning toward the Samsung PN51F5300 as it seems to represent the best bang for the buck priced at $699. I do like to get the very best value, but am not opposed to another $100 or $200 to get even better PQ. We are in the Vancouver BC area so would prefer to get a Canadian warrantee and deal with a local retailer if possible.

1) Any other suggestions? The Panasonic TC-P50S60 seems to be sold out everywhere…
2) Is there something else on the horizon or just released that is in a similar price range?
3) Is the PQ different between my TH-37PWD8UK and a current 1080p display from Panasonic or Samsung going to blow me away?
4) I currently feed component signal to the TH-37PWD8UK should I change to HDMI with the new display (do they even have component anymore?)
5) Are these new generation displays built to last like they were in 2005? (I tend to buy and keep my toys for a long time)

Thanks!

Coho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-03-2014, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25

I don't have the answer to all your questions, Coho, but my wife and I have had our PN51F5300 for about two months and love it. I considered LCD/LEDs but couldn't find anything comparable to the Samsung plasma as far as picture quality goes within several hundred more dollars.

post #3 of 8 Old 04-03-2014, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71

The Panasonic plasma's ended production in December of 2013... so a new one is going to be a hold-over or old stock, IF you find one at all.  

You're best bet is to purchase a new Samsung, the model you mentioned is a fantastic plasma and a great value.  I think you'll find that it has excellent PQ.  I dont know anything about the tv you currently have, and how ti stacks up however.  

I can say, without a doubt you WILL want to use HDMI if at all possible in either case, whether you keep what you have or buy a new one. 

gus738 likes this.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
post #4 of 8 Old 04-03-2014, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

So... the plot thickens.

I stopped by a few retail store otw home today. One of them has a Panasonic TC-P50S60... last one - demo model on the floor. It does look pristine... not a scratch not even a smudge on the bezel.
At the most it would have been on every day for about a year. So could have somewhere between 3600 - 4000 hrs on it.

It is marked down to the same price as a brand new in the box Samsung PN51F5300 ($699) and comes with a full warantee

Which would you get?
post #5 of 8 Old 04-03-2014, 08:12 PM

Liked: 12
Well, I just purchased the Samsung 51F5300 a few days ago. I had previously only owned Panasonic plasmas since 2002. I could NOT be happier. Lovely set. I'd stay away from floor models, especially with plasma. Plasmas lose some quality gradually over time and I'd hate to think about how much lifespan you're losing on that TV. It's not like it gets regular daily use. It's literally on ALL the time and that can't be good.

I had originally replaced a Panasonic G10 plasma from about 7-8 years ago I forget exactly how long with a Panasonic TC-P50U50 I had gotten on clearance at an H.E.B. Plus store.

I just purchased it in February but in the end I had to return it (lucky for me the store had 90 day return policy) because of some horrid vertical banding that at first I thought I could live with because the picture was SO amazing. Deeeep blacks and great, accurate color.

But in the end I could not live with it. I hear this was common in the 2012 plasmas from Panasonic.

I considered trying out some LEDs but even in the ones approaching $2000, they just couldn't touch the quality of plasma. So I decided to give this Samsung a chance. I've had shoddy luck with Samsung LCDs in the past (bad uniformity, banding, clouds) so I was nervous. But after I brought this thing home, I was STUNNED.

Great colors (with a little tweaking), nice crispness, and very good black levels. Not quite at the Panny levels I'm used to, but overall still surprisingly excellent and the picture is so rich and deep overall that I can forgive it.

Get this set, it's a great value and excellent quality and probably your last chance to nab a good plasma for a decent price before they are completely extinct.

TV: Samsung PN51F5300

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-921-K

Speakers: Fronts: Sony SS-F6000, Center: Sony SS-CN5000 , Rears: Sony SS-B1000, Sub: Sony SA-W3000

PS3 

PS4

-pete-

post #6 of 8 Old 04-04-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

That's an easy choice for me, Coho, but maybe not so much for you. Easy for me because I'm so pleased with our PN51F5300. You really like Panasonics, and their plasmas have had a great reputation. The hours on the Panasonic do not concern me as much as the vivid light setting (whatever Panasonic calls it) that it has been on while displayed in the store.

I'm biased, but I would go with the new Samsung. Are you close to any other stores? You shouldn't have to pay more than $650 for it.

post #7 of 8 Old 04-04-2014, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Even the guy in the store said he would choose the new Samsung.
I'll do a quick scan to see if their is a better price. Although, my time is worth a lot more than $49/hour....
post #8 of 8 Old 04-04-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho View Post

Thanks for the replies. Even the guy in the store said he would choose the new Samsung.
I'll do a quick scan to see if their is a better price. Although, my time is worth a lot more than $49/hour....

IMHO: I would get that Panasonic if I were you, I look at these things all day. We have no Panasonics left at my store at all, I sold them all off, and got mine before they were all gone. The samsung is a great tv and will look better than any LCD close and far in price range. But from looking at these everyday I have never seen a Samsung plasma show more detail and correct color like the Panasonic next to it did. wink.gif

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite SC-55
Klipsch RF-3, RP-3, RC-3, RS-3
Bang & Olufsen Beogram TX
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
XBOX-360, XBOX-ONE, PS3(60GB)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f5300 51 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P50s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page