Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 883 Old 05-30-2014, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoAlphaLima View Post

I can see the difference between 30fps and 60fps when side to side, yes.  60fps is smoother.

But in controller response?  Probably not.  There's at most a 1 frame added delay with a 30fps game over a 60fps game.  If a one frame delay was of much concern, then even a 16ms input lag on a display would be an issue.  

To put this in perspective, that's 1/60th of a second.  Think of how short a second is, then think of 1/60th of that.  Are there some people that could notice this type of delay?  Sure.  I'd bet Daigo (the best Street Fighter player in the world) would find that kind of delay offensive.  But for the vast majority of people, you won't notice it.

probably not?

then you just must not be that sensitive to input lag as I am. i can feel the the difference between a 30 fps games controls compared to a 60fps game which is a 16ms difference between the two. like I say my cut off point is around 56ms of delay in a tv and other people like you have higher tolerances. same with 30fps vs 60fps some people claim they don't see a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 883 Old 05-30-2014, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer 1985 View Post

probably not?

then you just must not be that sensitive to input lag as I am. i can feel the the difference between a 30 fps games controls compared to a 60fps game which is a 16ms difference between the two. like I say my cut off point is around 56ms of delay in a tv and other people like you have higher tolerances. same with 30fps vs 60fps some people claim they don't see a difference.

I don't mean to belabor the point and derail this thread any further, but I just struggle to understand how you can feel a mere 16ms of lag, yet you're okay with 56ms of delay, but an additional 16ms on top of that is the straw that breaks the camel's back?  But, whatever, more power to you.

post #303 of 883 Old 05-30-2014, 04:37 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I can see the difference between 30fps and 60fps when side to side, yes.  60fps is smoother.

But in controller response?  Probably not.  There's at most a 1 frame added delay with a 30fps game over a 60fps game.  If a one frame delay was of much concern, then even a 16ms input lag on a display would be an issue.  

To put this in perspective, that's 1/60th of a second.  Think of how short a second is, then think of 1/60th of that.  Are there some people that could notice this type of delay?  Sure.  I'd bet Daigo (the best Street Fighter player in the world) would find that kind of delay offensive.  But for the vast majority of people, you won't notice it.
Everyone is entitled to their own ideas of what's acceptable to them, but what he's saying got me thinking about it a bit. Maybe he was experiencing addition lag because of other settings (there's a pixel setting mentioned earlier to help with burn-in; maybe that adds some additional lag). Maybe there's additional lag because of his AVR (it seems like some users report audio/video sync issues with LG TVs- that would be a sign that they have a bit of input lag). There's also a good chance that he didn't allow enough time for break-in during testing. This would create a bit more IR (according to some in this thread). I could see how IR would increase perceived input lag. And lastly, maybe all of these sets aren't created equally. There were a couple people earlier in the thread who had panel issues/inconsistencies. Maybe input lag varies a little from set to set.

Personally, I hate input lag at all and is very noticeable to me. Most people seem to notice it the most with button presses, but it effects me more with movement in some games and especially with targeting. With aiming/targeting, additional lag effects accuracy greatly; when you spin the camera to your target, instead of the crosshairs stopping on your intended target when you stop moving the mouse (or controller), it stops past where you wanted it to stop. It takes tons of micro corrections and it gets very frustrating. The best way to detect input lag for me is to move a mouse around the screen and if you notice any perceivable lag then it will suck for gaming IMO.
post #304 of 883 Old 05-30-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:

I don't mean to belabor the point and derail this thread any further, but I just struggle to understand how you can feel a mere 16ms of lag, yet you're okay with 56ms of delay, but an additional 16ms on top of that is the straw that breaks the camel's back?  But, whatever, more power to you.

you are totally missing the points I am making, tv lag is the only thing you can control so you need to find a point where you don't feel it affects your movements. where as more than 56 ms tv lag, movement would begin to feel off for me whether that be a 30fps game or 60fps. so 56 ms and below feels ok to me on either.

I would suggest for you to game on a tv that is rated for vey low input lag then go back to your lg then you might understand what I am trying to say. but yeah you find the lag not an issue but I do so just leave it at that.
post #305 of 883 Old 05-31-2014, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just wanted to put my 2 cents in about this tv. Nothing about jutter.. lag.. fps..just my comments on this tv. (which btw is why I read this.. I was trying to decide of I wanted this one) I bought this last Sunday.. set it to the specs that were in this forum. Tweaked it a little for my house.. and was feeling ok about the tv. I have had lots of tv's lcd, led, plasma.. and have always come back to the plasma. I LOVE the 60" screen! My other main tv is a Panasonic 1080p Plasma 50". Loved it but wanted bigger. So I took down the 40" Samsung Led/3d/240hz that was in the bedroom and hung the Panny up there. This LG went in the living room. I have a VERY open house with 27 windows, yes very light, and the upstairs is open to the downstairs so I can see the Panasonic running when the LG is on, for comparision.

Ok.. during the day this tv is fairly dark. I was pretty bummed so started looking into another tv since BB only gives you 15 days for a refund. I stopped in at BB talked to the managers again.. told them about how dark the tv was compared to my Panny and that i was disappointed. Last night I watched the Bluray version of Avatar. I have Never liked Avatar.. watched it at the movies when it came out.. bought the dvd because everyone loved it.. I just didnt get it. Last night I finally saw what everyone was talking about.. this tv made Avatar new for me! I was Glued to the tv! That was the best picture I have ever seen on a tv! I seriously was amazed!

When I got up I turned on the tv, as background for my morning wake up. It was pretty dark again, in my opinion. I went back to BB this morning after reading MANY reviews and checking prices last night. I wasnt ready to jump into the 4k game yet since I know they will come down drastically. But once back at BB this morning I was trying the 4k tv's. I wanted at least a 60" tv and since most of the 4k's come in 55 & 65 the price difference was A LOT. I was also leaning towards the Sharp Q+ series, 1080p but upgrades the picture. Great picture but I wanted a plasma. I'm bummed the plasma's arent going to go into the 4k realm. After 3hrs of watching tv's, trying bluray movies and getting frustrated with the manager at BB I left. Once home I turned on my recorded Preakness Race.. this tv wasnt soo bad! The differences aren't worth spending another thousand dollars on. I think since I spent 3hrs watching tv after tv, mostly in the Magnolia room, I got a good glimpse of what most tv's put out. This tv does look fantastic in a really dark room but it wasnt as bad as I thought it was during the day. In fact it was pretty good. Not LED but good.

While watching the Samsung 4k 65" play a bluray disk and turning around and seeing a 51" Plasma playing the same movie, and being more realistic, I knew I wanted to stay with the plasma. This is a great tv especially for the price. I paid $668 plus tax. None of the other tv's I looked at today were even close. So I figure for the next 5 years I can watch this puppy and watch the 4k tv's drop in price.

I called LG and they have sent me out a free wifi dongle and I also got the year of free Netflix thru them. So this tv is around $500. I'm very happy.. great picture.. great service, so far, and I know what I am NOT missing.
Searchgal likes this.
post #306 of 883 Old 06-01-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10

So after the discussion about input lag, I decided to test things out myself. I tried an old game with two of my friends that we all knew fairly well (mario kart 64). We had just played it last week on a 52in DLP so we all had a solid idea of how it should be. Right away we all noticed that we had trouble controlling our driving in the game, it totally ruined the ability to play even for fun. I remembered to switch the input to the PC slot and also change the picture setting to "game mode", which did decrease the lag significantly, but not completely. The controls didn't feel crisp and we all agreed that it was still hard to counter the "floaty" feeling the lag gave. 

Does anyone have any suggestions to reduce lag any more? I'm going to retry with all of the image optimization stuff turned off and see if that brings it down to a playable level. I was in love with this TV until last night so I hope that I can fix this before my 15 day return window is up. 

I will try to test out different systems/games to see if it's universal. Perhaps an old system like the n64 (which was pre-plasma) was never meant to compensate for a TV with a higher display lag. I'm not sure, but it would be a total bummer to not be able to play all those games anymore

post #307 of 883 Old 06-01-2014, 01:04 PM

Right now the 60"Samsung PN60F5300 is on sale for $680 at Sears.com. I wonder if the input lag is any better on that set? And to the guy a couple of posts up; I've seen that model Samsung in person before and it's nice and bright.
post #308 of 883 Old 06-01-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Does anyone know what the latest best deals are online (or in NC) for the 60PB6600?  The two that I know of are these:

*P.C. Richard online: $799 delivered to the curb; no returns accepted except maybe out of box failure

*Sears Online: $749.99 + $90 delivery + local tax.  I think returns are accepted- even by dragging it in to the local retail store.

Best Buy (as of today) online has it showing for $849 + local tax, but it won't allow shipping or ship-to-store, and the closest stores that are showing that they have it in stock are 63 miles and 125 miles away- makes Sears a better deal than BB.  :-)  I was in a BB a few days back and the guy said it doesn't look like they can get any at my local store.

It looks like Fry's has them, but only at local stores (not local to me) and I think their price went up anyway.

Anyone?

post #309 of 883 Old 06-01-2014, 08:32 PM

From what I have seen they keep going on sale at Fry's and they ship.. so if you don't mind waiting a week or two they should be on sale again. I'm liking it. I think the Samsung may be a bit better but its last years model and its not a smart tv. I'm watching HBO right now on both the LG and the Panasonic and the pic looks the same. My Panny is a G25... two steps under the VT25.. its a good tv and so is this one.
post #310 of 883 Old 06-01-2014, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

hello...

so i am strongly considering buying this tv (i have no need for smart tv features, so i plan on purchasing the pb5600 model). i have read every single post in this thread but still not sure if i have definitive answers to some of my slight concerns. normally i wouldn't care as much but here in Canada costco has a better deal (mainly with the warranty) than my local best buy or future shop, and costco does not allow returns after the tv has been purchased unless there's an issue.

if anyone could help answer the following questions, that would be much appreciated, thank you. my remaining concerns about these tv's (5600, 6600) that i would love to get opinions on are...

1. rising blacks - if we are being honest i am buying this tv for price (good deal for a 60 inch tv) and motion blur as i watch a good amount of sports. deep blacks have some importance but not huge. my concern with the rising blacks is that IF they do rise, how much would we wager it would be? i can definitely deal with non-deep blacks, but i wouldn't be a huge fan of my blacks becoming grey or a light charcoal type colour. can anyone answer that IF rising blacks happen would it be to an unbearable degree?

2. input lag - truth be told, i don't game a ton. sometimes i'll have some people over and we'll play a game or 2, and once and a while i will play a game on my own. sometimes a shooter game, sometimes not. i do not see the pb5600 (the model i plan on buying) on the input lag website. it list the 6600 but not the 5600. i saw last year's input lag's for lg plasma's on the site and it varied the times even from one lg plasma model to another. there's been some talk on here that the input lag on the 6600 is considered high (which may not much matter to me at all) but has anyone done the test on the 5600 or think that it could have a lower/different input lag even though it's a similar tv?

again, any help would be great, thanks!

post #311 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 01:53 AM

These are my settings:

Expert 1

Experts control

Off
Off
Standar
On
Off

Temp. Colour: Med.
Ire 20 points:
Ire 5: 16, 12, -23
" 10: 8, 4, -20
" 20: 0, 0, 0
" 30: 0, 0, 3
" 40: 0, 0, 3
" 50: 0, 0, 3
" 60: 1, -1, 2
" 70: 0, 0, 0
" 80: 8, 0, -1
" 90: 4, 0, 0
"100: 2, 1, -7

CMS:

Red: 0, -5, 0
Green: -1,-2, 20
Blue: 0, 0, 0
Cyan: -9, 0, 0
Magenta: 0, 0, 0
Yellow: 0, 2, 0

I am not sure if cms parameters are corrects, i will check it later and post it.

post #312 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downpresser View Post

I saw one of these on display at Best Buy last night. Talked to a guy who was looking at TVs and a preference for plasmas, told him I was considering one too but unfortunately there wasn't much info out there on them.

Picture seemed decent but very reflective as everyone else has said. There is a one other LG that is higher than this one: PN6900. Anybody know if that has an AR coating?

Luckily I managed to find a 55" ST60 earlier this week so I don't need to be concerned about these, just curious. wink.gif

Where in the world did you find a Panasonic ST60? That's what I am looking can't find them anywhere. I'm tempted to grab a new plasma at these sale prices.

Still rocking my Philips 42in from 2007 and I want a bigger tv for my new PS4.
post #313 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 05:48 AM

Anyone know if there is a replacement remote available from LG?  I am loving this plasma set but the weak link (so far) is the remote control.  I wish it were backlit.

post #314 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by derore View Post

Anyone know if there is a replacement remote available from LG?  I am loving this plasma set but the weak link (so far) is the remote control.  I wish it were backlit.

I believe that you can get the LG Smart Remote on their website. I really want to get one, but I am waiting to see if anyone does it first and if so how it works. Also, you can connect a wireless keyboard to the TV. I've done that with a cheap $30 Logitech keyboard with a built in trackpad. The keyboard and trackpad work surprisingly well!
derore likes this.
post #315 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 06:29 AM

Taheer thanks!I have installed the LG app on my android tablet and phone.  I guess I am just used to using a remote control and holding it in my hand.  

Yes, I saw that LG Smart Remote.  But, like you, I want to hear back from someone using it.  It's a bit pricey if it doesn't do the job or is not compatible with our set.

post #316 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by higrpwdd View Post

I just wanted to put my 2 cents in about this tv. Nothing about jutter.. lag.. fps..just my comments on this tv. (which btw is why I read this.. I was trying to decide of I wanted this one) I bought this last Sunday.. set it to the specs that were in this forum. Tweaked it a little for my house.. and was feeling ok about the tv. I have had lots of tv's lcd, led, plasma.. and have always come back to the plasma. I LOVE the 60" screen! My other main tv is a Panasonic 1080p Plasma 50". Loved it but wanted bigger. So I took down the 40" Samsung Led/3d/240hz that was in the bedroom and hung the Panny up there. This LG went in the living room. I have a VERY open house with 27 windows, yes very light, and the upstairs is open to the downstairs so I can see the Panasonic running when the LG is on, for comparision.

Ok.. during the day this tv is fairly dark. I was pretty bummed so started looking into another tv since BB only gives you 15 days for a refund. I stopped in at BB talked to the managers again.. told them about how dark the tv was compared to my Panny and that i was disappointed. Last night I watched the Bluray version of Avatar. I have Never liked Avatar.. watched it at the movies when it came out.. bought the dvd because everyone loved it.. I just didnt get it. Last night I finally saw what everyone was talking about.. this tv made Avatar new for me! I was Glued to the tv! That was the best picture I have ever seen on a tv! I seriously was amazed!

When I got up I turned on the tv, as background for my morning wake up. It was pretty dark again, in my opinion. I went back to BB this morning after reading MANY reviews and checking prices last night. I wasnt ready to jump into the 4k game yet since I know they will come down drastically. But once back at BB this morning I was trying the 4k tv's. I wanted at least a 60" tv and since most of the 4k's come in 55 & 65 the price difference was A LOT. I was also leaning towards the Sharp Q+ series, 1080p but upgrades the picture. Great picture but I wanted a plasma. I'm bummed the plasma's arent going to go into the 4k realm. After 3hrs of watching tv's, trying bluray movies and getting frustrated with the manager at BB I left. Once home I turned on my recorded Preakness Race.. this tv wasnt soo bad! The differences aren't worth spending another thousand dollars on. I think since I spent 3hrs watching tv after tv, mostly in the Magnolia room, I got a good glimpse of what most tv's put out. This tv does look fantastic in a really dark room but it wasnt as bad as I thought it was during the day. In fact it was pretty good. Not LED but good.

While watching the Samsung 4k 65" play a bluray disk and turning around and seeing a 51" Plasma playing the same movie, and being more realistic, I knew I wanted to stay with the plasma. This is a great tv especially for the price. I paid $668 plus tax. None of the other tv's I looked at today were even close. So I figure for the next 5 years I can watch this puppy and watch the 4k tv's drop in price.

How did you get it for this much, or are you including gift cards perhaps? Best that I've seen and/or mentioned is the $688 from Fry's.
post #317 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 08:58 AM

I paid $699 (plus Ohio sales tax - ouch) for mine from MicroCenter in mid-May  And last time I checked the were out of stock.

LG sent the wifi dongle quite quickly.  I was also able to score the LG/Netflix one year subscription deal.  The Netflix deal is worth $96....assuming that you like Netflix of course.

post #318 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 11:20 AM

Liked: 11

Thanks.  Hate it when I miss something so obvious :D

post #319 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 01:34 PM

Does the netflix deal start once we use the confirmation code? Or when they first email us? Also, does anyone know if we can still keep the Netflix if we return or sell? I'm (regretfully) thinking about returning mine due to lag.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
post #320 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 02:20 PM

They have the Frys deal in my area for the LG, store pickup only. I live in SoCal

I'm going to go there now since I can't find many reviews on the picture quality. I really want a Panasonic but I guess I missed that boat. Looked for some on cragslist but just found older ones.

Sears.com has a sale on the Samsung PN60F5300AFXZA. That's $679 before tax. I don't know which one to get. Free delivery as well.

http://www.sears.com/samsung-60inch-class-1080p-600hz-plasma-hdtv-pn60f5300/p-05729188000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
post #321 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-e-L-L-o View Post

They have the Frys deal in my area for the LG, store pickup only. I live in SoCal

I'm going to go there now since I can't find many reviews on the picture quality. I really want a Panasonic but I guess I missed that boat. Looked for some on cragslist but just found older ones.

Sears.com has a sale on the Samsung PN60F5300AFXZA. That's $679 before tax. I don't know which one to get. Free delivery as well.

http://www.sears.com/samsung-60inch-class-1080p-600hz-plasma-hdtv-pn60f5300/p-05729188000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

FYI, that Samsung has a pentile display, which was an absolute deal killer for me, and is part of the reason I went with this LG instead.

post #322 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 04:36 PM

Thanks for that. Time to get my credit card!
post #323 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 06:29 PM

I paid $668 plus tax.. I showed them the Fry's price of $688 and I guess they typed it in wrong.. I took it as A SIGN that this was my tv... haha
post #324 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 06:34 PM

I stopped into anther BB today on my lunch and asked the magnolia reps about the Sammy 5300. I didnt tell them that I already bought the LG and they said they both own Plasma's. (So far all the BB sales people say they prefer plasma's and own them over even the 4k tv's) They said they prefer the LG 6600 over the Samsung 5300.. they said it has better color. I then told them that I bought the LG and was curious about the 5300 since it has soo many more reviews.. they said its because its already been out for over a year and the 6600 was just released in April.
post #325 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 08:05 PM

So I got my TV. It seems to have the same problem others have described here. The colors, when running the break-in slides, are very uneven. I am posting a screen shot so you can see how it is. 

Is this something that might go away with the break-in process? Is it reason to be concerned? Should I go ahead and return it? (If I return it, I doubt I would be getting another of the same model. Several of you have reported experiencing the same problem, and it is a big hassle to be hauling a 60" TV back and forth.)

post #326 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 08:08 PM

One question to the people who got the Netflix subscription over the phone, What did you say to get it?

Thanks in advance.

post #327 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSybarite View Post

So I got my TV. It seems to have the same problem others have described here. The colors, when running the break-in slides, are very uneven. I am posting a screen shot so you can see how it is. 
Is this something that might go away with the break-in process? Is it reason to be concerned? Should I go ahead and return it? (If I return it, I doubt I would be getting another of the same

. Several of you have reported experiencing the same problem, and it is a big hassle to be hauling a 60" TV back and forth.)

It's all perfectly normal for a plasma. The phospors just need to age and even out. Every plasma has that same "issue"... Which really isn't an issue.
post #328 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheer19 View Post

It's all perfectly normal for a plasma. The phospors just need to age and even out. Every plasma has that same "issue"... Which really isn't an issue.

Thank you very much, Taheer. When you say it isn't an issue, it isn't an issue if it disappears, or even if it stays it is not an issue?

Thanks.

post #329 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 08:21 PM

It should go away for the most part. All of my plasmas, even my Panasonic, have had some streaking like that. After around the 200 hour mark they mostly go away. You'll never even notice it unless you had it on a single color like the break in slides. And after so long, it will be gone or so light you won't notice. Relax and enjoy the TV. smile.gif
TheSybarite likes this.
post #330 of 883 Old 06-02-2014, 08:37 PM

Okay, so I've owned the LG PB6600 since April 9th, 2014. Earlier today I noticed this white lightning and squares flickering throughout the blacks. It only happens when black appears on the screen. Unfortunately, it hasn't gone away yet. What is going on?

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
pb6600
Gear in this thread - pb6600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page