Forum Jump: 
post #421 of 1121 Old 06-13-2014, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtaub View Post
Just checked the Frys website, showing PB6600 for $1099 marked down to $688 until 6/19.
Sorry... I meant that the PB6600 is only available from Fry's in-store- though it does look like they are shipping PB6900s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 1121 Old 06-13-2014, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacjunk View Post
Sorry... I meant that the PB6600 is only available from Fry's in-store- though it does look like they are shipping PB6900s
Yeah,
$96.34 cheaper at Micro Center when you factor in taxes where I'm at.

Anyone ever shop at Micro Center?
post #423 of 1121 Old 06-13-2014, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehgz1 View Post
NETFLIX PROMOTION WORKS FOR THIS TV! I wanted to get everyone's attention! As you may know, LG has a promotion where you can get a 12-month subscription to Netflix streaming service, for free, when you buy certain LG TV's. The TV needs to be purchased between April 6 and August 16. The 60PB6600 isn't one of the listed televisions for this promotion but, guess what, I took a chance and tried to get the promotion for my 60PB6600 and I got the offer! Here's the link: http://www.acbincentives.com/lgnetflix/

I got my TV through Bestbuy.com and I used the day of the order for my purchase date and, when I got to the list of eligible TV's, the 60PB6600 wasn't listed so instead I picked the 60LB6500 as my TV (it was the only TV listed that had any resemblance to the 60PB6600 model number). I was hoping since the model number was so similar that maybe LG wouldn't notice the difference . I also submitted pics of my bestbuy.com invoice and a pic of the serial number sticker on the back of the TV as requested at the end of the Netflix offer application form. I cannot guarantee that it will work for everyone but I though you guys should know and hopefully you'll also get in on this! Good luck everyone!
Thanks for this tip but it didn't work for me. My serial number is what excluded me. The TV is just fantastic though, and the adjusted expert screen settings are really sweet. People look a lot older in 1080p!
post #424 of 1121 Old 06-14-2014, 07:58 AM

The 60PB6600 has 2:2 putdown rather than the usual 3:2 pull down. Would anyone like to comment on this?
post #425 of 1121 Old 06-14-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Im at 427 hrs.......and the tv still looks great I haven't seen any lightening of black levels. If I use the slides I see those weird blotches still but to my eyes it doesn't effect normal viewing......I'm extremely happy with the set so far!
post #426 of 1121 Old 06-14-2014, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-e-L-L-o View Post
Just remember to turn on ISM method Orbiter. It shifts the picture by a few pixels (or something like that) to prevent display issues.
How do you turn the orbiter on?
post #427 of 1121 Old 06-14-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Option - ISM Method
post #428 of 1121 Old 06-14-2014, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
IR burn marks at Best Buy

Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by seikon
I actually didn't do the slides. I usually had the tv on 3-5 hours a day, running on channels with full screen and no scrolling items. I have had no IR issues at all and I'm around 150 hours. IR is such a non issue these days with plasma that I think people are a little overly cautious.
Just bought the TV but did not pick it up at BB. They price matched the MC $599 offer so I purchased on spot. However, the TV on display had clear IR(Burn in marks) at the bottom left corner and in the middle area. The sales guy was actually advising against buying the TV because of that issue. I am buying so that the kids play Kinect games in the play room.

The marks were a little disappointing, especially because everyone says that IR is a non issue these days. As I have read more, these might be what they call temporary IR marks and may go away with time. But boy looks like a roll of dice to me. The sales guy did say it was the lowest possible end model and did *not* have what he called Image Burn prevention technology. Not sure if there is such a thing but maybe the higher end plasmas have something that helps IR prevention.

Another thing was that the TV was mounted between two 60 inch LEDs. Once again, I understand that BB showcase area is not the greatest place to check the quality of the screen, but no one would buy this TV if they see the TVs next to it. It was so dull that it looked grey compared to the two LEDs.

Keeping my fingers crossed and making an assumption here that BB did not do any calibration and hopefully the results at home would be much better, but still.
post #429 of 1121 Old 06-14-2014, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canbonbon View Post
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by seikon
I actually didn't do the slides. I usually had the tv on 3-5 hours a day, running on channels with full screen and no scrolling items. I have had no IR issues at all and I'm around 150 hours. IR is such a non issue these days with plasma that I think people are a little overly cautious.
Just bought the TV but did not pick it up at BB. They price matched the MC $599 offer so I purchased on spot. However, the TV on display had clear IR(Burn in marks) at the bottom left corner and in the middle area. The sales guy was actually advising against buying the TV because of that issue. I am buying so that the kids play Kinect games in the play room.

The marks were a little disappointing, especially because everyone says that IR is a non issue these days. As I have read more, these might be what they call temporary IR marks and may go away with time. But boy looks like a roll of dice to me. The sales guy did say it was the lowest possible end model and did *not* have what he called Image Burn prevention technology. Not sure if there is such a thing but maybe the higher end plasmas have something that helps IR prevention.

Another thing was that the TV was mounted between two 60 inch LEDs. Once again, I understand that BB showcase area is not the greatest place to check the quality of the screen, but no one would buy this TV if they see the TVs next to it. It was so dull that it looked grey compared to the two LEDs.

Keeping my fingers crossed and making an assumption here that BB did not do any calibration and hopefully the results at home would be much better, but still.
While not saying that IR cannot not happen, the viewing that happens on a display on the floor is far different than what we watch at home. I would say easily 95% of the time there is always some logo that just stays on the screen it seems advertising something at the store.
Taheer19 likes this.
post #430 of 1121 Old 06-15-2014, 07:31 AM

This is from LG's Website:
LG 60PB6600 under the Question Answer section

Thank you for your interest in the LG 60" Plasma TV Model # 60PB6600. Some of the advances for Plasma TVs over the last few years have been an improvement in the phosphors that make it not as susceptible to burn-in as previous models used to be. However, being a phosphor based technology, burn-in still remains an issue.

All LG Plasma TVs have two technologies to prevent screen burn. These can be found in the options menu under ISM methods:
* Orbiter: After a short period of time the picture will subtlety move around the screen preventing the same pixels from being used for a prolonged period of time
* Normal: If the TV detects a static image (e.g. DVD Title Menu) it will automatically dim the brightness of the television to a safer level
There are also a few techniques that will help you prevent future burn-in. For starters, changing the contrast and brightness to below 50% during the ‘break-in period’ (first 100-200 hours) and try and avoid static images.

LG TVs have an energy saving button on the remote control that will give a similar effect by selecting the ‘maximum’ setting.
All LG Plasma TVs allow you to display a 100% white image to burn the rest of the pixels to the same extent as the damaged area...IFV
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the question here is why Orbiter or Normal is not activated by default to avoid any accidental burn ins? Also in my case I am getting this TV for the Kids Play area. Where there is a good chance that they would leave Kinect on and run away outside to play. (Its to much of a risk to expect kids to shut off the TV before they go out in the yard). In that scenario, is there anyway for the TV to automatically start Orbiter or Normal (the two options above) without any human interaction? If yes then that would be great and would give me a piece of mind.

Thanks

Last edited by canbonbon; 06-15-2014 at 07:36 AM.
post #431 of 1121 Old 06-15-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
So the question here is why Orbiter or Normal is not activated by default to avoid any accidental burn ins?
ISM Normal ist activated by default
post #432 of 1121 Old 06-16-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaoran View Post
Quote:
So the question here is why Orbiter or Normal is not activated by default to avoid any accidental burn ins?
ISM Normal ist activated by default
+1
post #433 of 1121 Old 06-16-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I just wish there was a real manual. How do you find out what all the settings really are?
post #434 of 1121 Old 06-16-2014, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheer19 View Post
Decided I should finally post my picture settings.

I'm getting good results with the following:

Expert 1

Panel Light: 100
Contrast:95
Brightness:56
H Sharpness: 10
V Sharpness: 10
Color: 48
Tint: R1

Expert Control

Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Resolution : Off
Color Gamut: Standard
Edge Enhancer: Off
Color Filter: Off
Expert Pattern: Grayed Out
Gamma: 2.4

White Balance

Color Temp: Warm 2
Method: 2 Points
Pattern: Outer
Red: - 25
Green: 0
Blue: - 20

Color Management System

Yellow: -11,0,0
Red:-6,0,0
Green:0,0,0
Blue:0,0,0
Cyan:0,0,0
Magenta:0,0,0

Picture Options

Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: Grayed Out
Motion Eye Care: Grayed Out
True Motion: Off

hey Taheer...i'm just playing with the settings on my tv to try and get the best picture. i'm loosely using yours for a reference point. is there a reason you have the red at -25 and the blue at -20. is that just personal preference or is there some kind of reason for that?

also, anyone with knowledge can answer this question...we went from a 42 inch lcd to now this 60 inch. the picture seems very very good most of the time, but there's times i do question the sharpness of the screen. i'm somewhat assuming that by default a bigger screen will naturally appear less sharp, strictly based on size? is this a plasma thing?? i have yet to play video games or watch a movie on it, so is it possible it's the feed coming in through the cable box?

any information would be great, thanks.
post #435 of 1121 Old 06-16-2014, 11:37 AM

Liked: 0
Decisions Decisions

Hey guys Im in a bit of a pickle. I just went through directv new protection plan premier. I had my 2012 46" Panasonic plasma break. Directv replaces it with a tv that are similar in specs and cost. Directv is giving me two options to pick from, the LG 60PB6600 and the 46" Samsung LED Model # UN46FH6030FXZA. I am a avid gamer and that is about what I would be doing 75 % of the time. I love plasmas and never had any issues with my old Panasonic plasma. But I have heard mixed reviews on the lag. The samsung tv is nice but no plasma blacks. What do you guys think? what would you recommend? I haven't been able to find a whole lot of information on the samsung TV.

Thanks

Last edited by DjBulletFast; 06-16-2014 at 11:39 AM.
post #436 of 1121 Old 06-16-2014, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by seikon View Post
Quote:
Decided I should finally post my picture settings.

I'm getting good results with the following:

Expert 1

Panel Light: 100
Contrast:95
Brightness:56
H Sharpness: 10
V Sharpness: 10
Color: 48
Tint: R1

Expert Control

Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Resolution : Off
Color Gamut: Standard
Edge Enhancer: Off
Color Filter: Off
Expert Pattern: Grayed Out
Gamma: 2.4

White Balance

Color Temp: Warm 2
Method: 2 Points
Pattern: Outer
Red: - 25
Green: 0
Blue: - 20

Color Management System

Yellow: -11,0,0
Red:-6,0,0
Green:0,0,0
Blue:0,0,0
Cyan:0,0,0
Magenta:0,0,0

Picture Options

Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: Grayed Out
Motion Eye Care: Grayed Out
True Motion: Off

hey Taheer...i'm just playing with the settings on my tv to try and get the best picture. i'm loosely using yours for a reference point. is there a reason you have the red at -25 and the blue at -20. is that just personal preference or is there some kind of reason for that?

also, anyone with knowledge can answer this question...we went from a 42 inch lcd to now this 60 inch. the picture seems very very good most of the time, but there's times i do question the sharpness of the screen. i'm somewhat assuming that by default a bigger screen will naturally appear less sharp, strictly based on size? is this a plasma thing?? i have yet to play video games or watch a movie on it, so is it possible it's the feed coming in through the cable box?

any information would be great, thanks.
I used those settings because when I calibrated the display, I was getting a very high red push. That helped mellow the red, but then threw off the blue tones. So, lowering it made it mellow and more accurate. All the colors are closer to reference with those settings.
post #437 of 1121 Old 06-16-2014, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjBulletFast View Post
Hey guys Im in a bit of a pickle. I just went through directv new protection plan premier. I had my 2012 46" Panasonic plasma break. Directv replaces it with a tv that are similar in specs and cost. Directv is giving me two options to pick from, the LG 60PB6600 and the 46" Samsung LED Model # UN46FH6030FXZA. I am a avid gamer and that is about what I would be doing 75 % of the time. I love plasmas and never had any issues with my old Panasonic plasma. But I have heard mixed reviews on the lag. The samsung tv is nice but no plasma blacks. What do you guys think? what would you recommend? I haven't been able to find a whole lot of information on the samsung TV.

Thanks
Go with the plasma! I game a ton too. If you put it on game mode when gaming, the lag is just fine. I play titqnfall a lot and have noticed no issues. It is more than adequate for gaming. Make the right choice and go plasma
djnico27 likes this.
post #438 of 1121 Old 06-16-2014, 12:55 PM

It's $599.99 at Micro Center right now. It's in store only and they will email the price only. I'm sure Best buy will price match as well.
post #439 of 1121 Old 06-16-2014, 01:12 PM

I recommended this TV for my friend when I the saw reviews here and for the price it's amazing. I helped him install it last week and he's loving it. I plan to pick it up this week since they just stole my TV over the weekend.... F#$Ken low life's.... anyway this TV will put a smile on my face
post #440 of 1121 Old 06-16-2014, 07:33 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnico27 View Post
It's $599.99 at Micro Center right now. It's in store only and they will email the price only. I'm sure Best buy will price match as well.
I can confirm that Best Buy will price match it, I did so on Sunday. I'm loving it, my first plasma! Played a couple hours of games (Mario Kart 8, Donkey Country Wii U) without any issues.
djnico27 likes this.
post #441 of 1121 Old 06-17-2014, 01:10 AM

lipsync issues and stutter

Hello, i've followed this thread for a while before deciding to buy the 60PB6900 (named 60PB690V in Sweden).
I upgraded from my older Panasonic TX-P50G30 and after unboxing and a minor changes in the settings i think i made the right decision, the picture is great, Colour rendering is wonderful!

Unfortunately i almost instantly discovered some lipsync issues on 24 hertz playback, and stutter in 60 hertz.

I am running Plex from my MAC mini connected to my Plasma. The picture and audio is set to passthrough, so my reciecer is doing the processing.
I've had no problems with this set up on my old TV, but on my 60PB6900 i am experiencing lipsync issues in 24 hertz mode.
Plex is set to change the display refresh rate of the display (60PPB6900 in this case) to the refresh rate in the movie source, on my old Plasma this made the picture very much smoother och clearer, however on my new LG 60PB6900 the sound is 0.5-1 sec out of sync from the video when the source and display refresh rate is 24 hertz. Its the same result if i turn off the setting in Plex and instead change the MAC's display refresh rate to 24 hertz, so the problem is not in the Plex or MAC display settings but in 24 hertz playback overall. I Suspected the "Cinema Mode (24p)" setting, but there's no difference if its on or off.

If i turn OFF the "change display refresh rate to source format" setting in Plex and run my new LG in 60 hertz mode i have no problem with lipsync. Instead of that i have another problem, Very annoying stutter, appearing randomly maybe 2-3 times per minute. Doesnt matter if its Plex or VLC. I've tested with all "advanced picture settings" as off and on, no difference. I suspected the True Motion setting, but there's no difference if its on or off.

I havent tested with Blu-ray discs yet, but will do tonight.

Anyone else had these issues or maybe knows what the problem can be?
post #442 of 1121 Old 06-17-2014, 01:47 PM

I had lipsync issues with blu-ray running video through the TV and audio through my receiver. It went away when I activated gaming mode. I don't see a difference in picture quality in gaming mode, so I don't know what it is doing.
post #443 of 1121 Old 06-17-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by link1305 View Post
I can confirm that Best Buy will price match it, I did so on Sunday. I'm loving it, my first plasma! Played a couple hours of games (Mario Kart 8, Donkey Country Wii U) without any issues.
I can confirm that BB price matched it for me as well. I had to show the email though.

Stunning picture. I have had only LEDs in the house, so this is my first Plasma. Amazing picture and clarity. The TV saw Twonky Server based NAS drive immediately. I was able to stream pretty much any kind of video file (mkv, mp4, avi, etc.) Not sure if that is due to Twonky or this TV. Shows cover art too I wanted to answer that question for a lot of folks who have asked this before.

Do I need to do anything to break it in? Some websites recommend break in slides and others say you don't need to. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tried to apply the settings in couple of threads above. Too Blue for my taste (or maybe the movie was shot like that) not sure. I might revert back to old setting that came up as default. I found that be more pleasing to my eyes. Or maybe I should wait 100 hrs of viewing and then do it.
post #444 of 1121 Old 06-17-2014, 06:25 PM

I bought last Friday and picked up on Sunday (father's day). Got it mounted above the fireplace that afternoon. I purchased at Fry's and requested a price match to microcenter's $599 internet price. I was told by 3 different associates they couldn't because microcenter's closest location is Houston (I'm in Austin) and the price was for pick-up only. I'm an apt negotiator and politely escalated to the store manager where I again pleaded my business case for matching their price. After some back and forth standing behind their policy, she finally agreed to take to get creative and work around their price match system. She agree to take it down to "cost" at $624 and then offered a customer satisfaction gift card for $25.00 to effectively match the microcenter price of $599 without alerting corporate.

Overall I would say I'm very satisfied with the value to performance of this TV. I've got a Panasonic TC-p65gt50 in the media room to compare it with. The panasonic has an outstanding picture and I'm continually amazed by the overall quality of the TV. I paid $1895 for one of the last available after the release of the ST series last year. Bottom line is that when we don't want to hike upstairs to the media room, I don't think I'll regret my laziness by staying in the living room with the LG. This TV will be used for casual TV watching, chick flicks with my wife, and some weekend golf/background sports events. All the serious movie/sports watching will still be reserved for the panasonic, but I think this purchase will lessen my desire to watch EVERYTHING upstairs.

My only gripe so far is that when watching ESPN with the scrolling ticker at the bottom, I have considerable blur (sometimes) when the text scrolls across the screen. The strange thing is that some of time the scrolling text is clear and sometimes is so blurry as it moves from right to left that it is unreadable. I haven't messed with any deep level picture settings so far. I did some basics like turning ECO mode off as well as the Dejudder setting off. Right out of the box with Dejudder on I noticed a little bit of a soap opera effect as well as some strange "jumping" in the picture every couple seconds. Both of those issues went away when I turned Dejudder off but I haven't tested the ESPN ticker with Dejudder on or on auto.

Anyone else having the scrolling text blurriness?
post #445 of 1121 Old 06-17-2014, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi does anyone know if the LGPB6600 has a built DLNA server. I'd like to steam movies from pc using programs like tversity plex etc..
post #446 of 1121 Old 06-18-2014, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshine View Post
Hi does anyone know if the LGPB6600 has a built DLNA server. I'd like to steam movies from pc using programs like tversity plex etc..
Yes it does. Its a SmartTV so it can stream any type of media from a DLNA servers (whether on your PC or on a NAS drive). I am able to stream all types of movies (mkv, mp4, avi and flv).
post #447 of 1121 Old 06-18-2014, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan7170 View Post
Hey guys if you looking for something much more interesting to run on your screen other than color slides to break in the set, I suggest on Netflix "Moving Art : Forests", "Moving Art:: Deserts" and "Moving Art: Oceans". Full screen HD, lots of colors and beautiful scenery that shows what this display can do realistically!
Those videos are beautiful HD. They show off this set very well. It would be nice if Netflix had an automatic repeat or queue function so they could go on all day.
post #448 of 1121 Old 06-18-2014, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I used those settings because when I calibrated the display, I was getting a very high red push. That helped mellow the red, but then threw off the blue tones. So, lowering it made it mellow and more accurate. All the colors are closer to reference with those settings.
I'm using your settings Taheer, but I'm using the Titan's white balance settings. I got a "dingy" look to the tv. When I change to his white settings, the tv looks much brighter. Did you do a full calibration?
post #449 of 1121 Old 06-18-2014, 11:53 AM

Liked: 11
I’ve noticed something curious when turning on the TV after it has been off for hours, as in all day and when I first turn it on when coming home from work. The screen will be dim, and the colors appear to be 8-bit (256). After about 30 seconds the screen brightens up and the colors are normal. Yes Eco mode is off. Anyone else experience this? I don’t believe the issue is progressive, at least not yet, but sometimes its been up to 45 seconds to clear up. I am above 400 hours, but I think I first noticed this somewhere just before 300 hours.

Otherwise, TV looks great, black levels are good, gaming is fine, IR is not a problem, and I fixed my lipsync issue by adjustments in my AVR. It’s amazing how you get used to the 60” size. Despite some bad pixels and line bleed I’ve kept my original set and its fine. At least for now until UHD, FALD, and 10 bit panels are more developed. I’m enjoying it for sure, especially since the World Cup started.
post #450 of 1121 Old 06-18-2014, 02:38 PM

Got the netflix promotion for LG-60PB6600

I was able to get the Netflix promotion for this TV even though it is not listed in the list (not a qualified model).

http://www.acbincentives.com/lgnetflix/

On initial try, first the model is not listed in the drop down, so I picked another 60 inch. Then when I put the serial number it gets denied. But it shows another box to put the serial number. I tried that twice and it took it. Then they ask you to send the pictures of the receipt and the serial number. I uploaded those two this morning. I got the approval code in few hours.

Just thought others might want to know.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
pb6600
Gear in this thread - pb6600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page