post #511 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheer19 View Post
As an owner of the Samsung 5300 and the LG 6600, I can say that the black level is EXTREMELY close. No need to argue either, as I have had them set next to each other feeding from the same source.
I find that hard to believe unless LG made tremendous strides in black level this year. I wouldn't doubt that they just used the same panel from last year. Plasma R&D is dead at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
I find that hard to believe unless LG made tremendous strides in black level this year. I wouldn't doubt that they just used the same panel from last year. Plasma R&D is dead at this point.
Sorry that you find it hard to believe.
post #513 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtaub View Post
Taheer, can you repost the link. It did not come up.
For whatever reason, it won't let me post the link.
Google "LG PB 6600 review"....the website is reviews.*******************.com

It should be the 5th or 6th link.
If you see it, try and posting in the forum...it is blocking me from doing so.
post #514 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
For whatever reason, it won't let me post the link.
Google "LG PB 6600 review"....the website is reviews.*******************.com

It should be the 5th or 6th link.
If you see it, try and posting in the forum...it is blocking me from doing so.
Here it is:

http://reviews.*******************.c...-60pb6600.html

Edit: Doing the same to me - I did read it. Much more favorable.

Last edited by dmtaub; 07-03-2014 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Mistake
post #515 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtaub View Post
Here it is:

http://reviews.*******************.c...-60pb6600.html

Edit: Doing the same to me - I did read it. Much more favorable.
That site is the worst. Their "reviews" are glorified marketing writeups.
post #516 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Until CNET reviews it, I'm on the fence. However, my eyes tell me the picture is wonderful for my needs.
Taheer19 likes this.
post #517 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just bought the PB6650. Can anyone confirm that either the optical out or the HDMI arc can pass through DD or DTS?
post #518 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Is this model better than the Samsung pnf5300?
post #519 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post
Is this model better than the Samsung pnf5300?

Completely depends on your needs/wants.

If you want smart features, more HDMI ports (1 more), good color and shadow detail, decent blacks then go with the LG.

If black level is the end-all-be-all, then the Samsung will be the better choice. Not that the blacks are anything close to what a reference plasma can produce, but still very good for the money.

There are pros and cons to each. With the Samsung, you are getting a Pentile display which might or might not be an issue for you depending on how far your viewing distance is from the TV. And you only get 2 HDMI ports.
No smart features, which I wouldn't call a bad thing....just depends on what you want. You do get better black levels. However, they aren't MUCH better.

Both come with a nice assortment of picture settings.

Neither will preform worth a damn in bright lighting though, just FYI.

But, either way you go you are getting a good TV. I would recommend getting an HDMI splitter if you go with the 5300.
post #520 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My old DLP recently went belly up and I've been looking, and impressed, with this model. I read a post earlier than quoted a review slamming it for black levels. I'm not sure how qualified the person is who wrote that article but I think the levels are more than acceptable.

For what it's worth Consumer Reports has this the #2 rated 60+ inch TV under $1500.
post #521 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

If you want smart features, more HDMI ports (1 more), good color and shadow detail, decent blacks then go with the LG.

If black level is the end-all-be-all, then the Samsung will be the better choice. Not that the blacks are anything close to what a reference plasma can produce, but still very good for the money.

There are pros and cons to each. With the Samsung, you are getting a Pentile display which might or might not be an issue for you depending on how far your viewing distance is from the TV. And you only get 2 HDMI ports.
No smart features, which I wouldn't call a bad thing....just depends on what you want. You do get better black levels. However, they aren't MUCH better.

But, either way you go you are getting a good TV. I would recommend getting an HDMI splitter if you go with the 5300.
Only one of the three sizes in the f5300 (and f8500) series are pentile, the 60". Go 51" or 64" if one wants to avoid pentile.
post #522 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I really dont care about the HDMI because i use avr. And also not big deal for the smart features.

Only thing i need to know is is this TV are capable all features to get it calibrated done by the isf pro? I think f5300 has all the features to get it done. But i might be wrong. Thanks
post #523 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post
Thanks. I really dont care about the HDMI because i use avr. And also not big deal for the smart features.

Only thing i need to know is is this TV are capable all features to get it calibrated done by the isf pro? I think f5300 has all the features to get it done. But i might be wrong. Thanks
The f5300 responds very well to calibration and has 10pt white balance control w/ full color management system.

If you'd like to research it more here's a couple good threads to start:
Why I Bought a Plasma HDTV in 2014
Samsung PN51F5300 – What a little gem! - i1Pro Calibration results inside
caloyzki and tubetwister like this.
post #524 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo Joe View Post
I have a Google Chromecast connected to HDMI 2 and it is powered by usb on the back of the LG 60PB6600. Everytime I turn on my LG 60PB6600 I get a message that says, "New external input is connected. Do you want to use this?" The message will go away after about a minute or I have to use the LG remote to select "No" and clear the warning message about a new device on HDMI 2. Does anyone have any thought as to how to get around this? If not, I will unplug the Chromecast when I am not using it.
I have a Chromecast plugged into HDMI3, relabeled to 'Smart Box' and the usb power connected to the port just above. I never get that message when turning the TV on. However, I do have my PC plugged into HDMI2, renamed to PC input, and when my computer wakes from sleep or is powered on (rare) and the TV is already on, I will get that message. So maybe it just with that input perhaps or how its labeled. Hope that helps.
post #525 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
This is wrong. He has the European version of the model...not the US 6600 (which might be similar...but doesn't meant they are the same). It DOES NOT have the worst black level of a plasma ever. I have an LG plasma set up in the backroom that has a much worse black level.
The review i quoted is for the US PB6600
And playma-buying-guide.com is a really really bad review site Many misinformations ect. that's the reason the link is censored here in the forum

And yes, i have the european model, but LG Germany says their EU Modell is 1:1 compared to the US Modell, besides Smart TV changes

Last edited by Shaoran; 07-04-2014 at 02:23 AM.
post #526 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaoran View Post
The review i quoted is for the US PB6600
And Many playma-buying-guide.com is a really really bad review site Many misinformations ect. that's the reason the link is censored here in the forum

And yes, i have the european model, but LG Germany says their EU Modell is 1:1 compared to the US Modell, besides Smart TV changes
Expect you stated you have am issues with rising blacks at 500 hours, which isn't an issue for the US model. I'm at 650 and no issues.
post #527 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
I was just going to say the same thing !
StinDaWg likes this.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #528 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaoran View Post
I think she is right, in my opinion it's also the weakest black level i've seen on plasma. 5/10 is a bit too harsh, i would give it a 6-6,5/10

And yes, the TV was calibrated

http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...ew/the-science

Even though that wouldn't be a review site I personally would consider credible at least they put numbers up .

Never though I would see a ~$500.00 LCD much less a budget Visio with better blacks then any Plasma !

My 40" Sony R4 LED in the bedroom beats that LGD PDP by a mile without FALD like the Visio LED and by a little bit in the case of the Toshiba at ( Black: 0.022 cd/m2 ) Maybe that why I bought a Sony and Toshiba and my Sammie PDP?

It seems the 2014 Visio LED has to use FALD to approach the 2013 Sony R4 blacks without FALD (lipstick on a pig maybe )

With all the hype about the 2014 Viseo E models with FALD you would think it could best a same size 2013 Sony R4 without FALD
I guess the old saying still rings true "you gets what you pays for " IMO The 2013 Sony R4 and 2014 W600 both have a much better picture over all than the Visio LED. also 2014

http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...ew/the-science

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-06-2014 at 01:33 PM.
post #529 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

is this model PB6600 is better than this model PN60F5500AFXZA, is this has the all features for isf pro to get calibrated?? what are the difference? frys has on sale on this model.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #530 of 811 Old 07-03-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There are pros and cons to each. With the Samsung, you are getting a Pentile display which might or might not be an issue for you depending on how far your viewing distance is from the TV.
I have the 60F5300 and the pentile screen is a non issue. I can't even see pixels from farther than 3' back.
tubetwister likes this.
post #531 of 811 Old 07-04-2014, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have the 60F5300 and the pentile screen is a non issue. I can't even see pixels from farther than 3' back.

Same here !

post #532 of 811 Old 07-04-2014, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Expect you stated you have am issues with rising blacks at 500 hours, which isn't an issue for the US model. I'm at 650 and no issues.
Do you have the 60"? Rising blacks occurs on the 50" model here in the EU for the most time, very few 60" have this issue, for whatever reason, and is the most visible on 50Hz content, which is standard here in europe, 60hz is always darker than 50hz on lg plasma.

And 500 hours is only an estimate, no one knows exactly when it occurs, you can't see the exact runtime here in europe

Last edited by Shaoran; 07-04-2014 at 02:34 AM.
post #533 of 811 Old 07-04-2014, 06:14 PM

I can confirm ARC/Optical outputs Dolby Digital and DTS, obviously depending on the audio source of what you are watching. Im using ARC to watch the Smart features of the tv

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
post #534 of 811 Old 07-05-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDood View Post
OK so mine arrived yesterday. It's been mounted, and is replacing a 50PK750 on the wall. I've been running it about 24 consecutive hours now for the initial break in phase. Late last night the TV turned off then turned on unexpectedly. I only saw it once and didn't think much about it. Today however it's been doing it fairly regularly about every 15 minutes or so. No matter what input is used, it will turn off then turn right back on. Heat doesn't seem to be an issue, as it's barely warm when I feel behind it.

I had the LG 50 for about 3 years and this never happened once. I've looked around the web and it appears this is fairly common with all makes. The only "fix" I've tried was the "holding down the power button for 30 seconds" trick, which didn't work (as expected). Seems there's lot's of snake oil fixes out there, so I'm not going to start trying them all.

I'll probably call LG service tomorrow,but in the meantime are there any suggestions? The TV is plugged into a surge protector. I've tried it both with and without it. Same result. Also took the batteries out of the remote. Still does it.
Update: LG repair guy just left. He actually replaced 2 separate boards. The main board and the power board I think. He said that the factory recommends replacing both at the same time for this issue. I helped him take the TV off the wall and it took about 1/2 hour to replace the boards and hang it back up. Everything seems to be working good now.

Overall it was a pretty painless experience and I have to say that the LG Customer Service was excellent. It took about 7 days in total to have them come out and diagnose the issue, order the part then come back out to repair it no questions asked. While my initial frustration with Quality Control is still there, I also recognize that electronic equipment does have a higher than average failure rate.
post #535 of 811 Old 07-06-2014, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacjunk View Post
I thought I would bring to everyone's attention that HHGregg has a 60PB6650 listed on their website as of this week. Looking at LG's website, the only noticeable difference appears to be that Wifi is built-in, otherwise probably the same TV. This might explain why BB doesn't have any PB6600s and can't get any in my area- new model coming. Maybe also why Frys isn't selling PB6600s online?
FYI, Amazon has the 60PB6650 for $699 (free 2 day shipping for Prime members) now.
post #536 of 811 Old 07-06-2014, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
FYI, Amazon has the 60PB6650 for $699 (free 2 day shipping for Prime members) now.
Am I correct that the 6650 is the same TV as the 6600 with the exception that it has internal WiFi (vs the dongle for the 6600)? I believe that's the case from a post a few pages back in this thread. If so it's curious why it would be cheaper than the 6600.
post #537 of 811 Old 07-06-2014, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
It's $599 at Microcenter.
post #538 of 811 Old 07-06-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Wink

Quote:
It's $599 at Microcenter.
+1 but for anyone that can't pick it up at Microcenter can get Amazon to price match and have it shipped.
post #539 of 811 Old 07-06-2014, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anybody use a DAC with the tv? I have the LG 60 PB 560 V and it only have a digital out, so i'm looking for a dac or some kind of adapter to connect my stereo that only have analog in.
Do you think that a product like this

can give me some advantages over an adapter like this?

It bothers me that with the dac i'll loose the audio controls from the remote control...
Any advice/experiences?
post #540 of 811 Old 07-06-2014, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I use this very device to convert the audio from my iMac's digital output into my computer speakers (Cambridge SoundWorks). It's not the most demanding sort of listening for me, but I do like music as I surf and this device has given me zero problems. It requires that the output be PCM and does not support Dolby Digital or DTS signals. It says that on the instruction sheet under the heading 'FQA'.

yours truly, johnny dollar
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
pb6600
Gear in this thread - pb6600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page