Any more info on LG PB6600 (or other 2014 model) plasma? - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 734 Old 07-08-2014, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
nseriessaga, thank you for your input, that is what I have read as well. I guess 60hz output from the blu-ray with Real Cinema turned on is optimal? (even though Real Cinema is for 24p?) I read this on another thread:

"When sending your TV 24fps content from a Blu-Ray your TV will convert it to 60fps by displaying each frame 5 times when in Cinema mode. This is called 5:5 pulldown and eliminates what is called 3:2 frame rate Judder.
Some people actually like frame rate judder so they don't turn in their Cinema mode."

If anyone wants to chime in on the 24p-60hz discussion on this particular plasma, please do.

P.S. I watched the Brazil-Germany game today and the set is awesome for sports.

Last edited by simms23; 07-08-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 734 Old 07-08-2014, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaoran View Post
I use this :

Expert1

Panel light: 99
Contrast: 96
Brightness: 53
H-Sharpness: 8
V-Sharpness: 8
Color: 50
Tint: G1

Expert Control

Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Resolution : Off
Color Gamut: Wide
Edge Enhancer: Off
Color Filter: Off
Expert Pattern: Grayed Out
Gamma: 2.4

White Balance

Color Temp: Warm 2
Method: 2 Points
Pattern: Outer
Red: - 8
Green: 0
Blue: + 6
Red : -1
Green: -3
Blue: +4

Color Management System

Yellow: 4,0,6
Red:-6,0,0
Green:4,0,6
Blue:3,0,0
Cyan:5,0,5
Magenta:4,-3,-7

Picture Options

Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: Grayed Out
Motion Eye Care: Grayed Out
True Motion: User 3/10
I just changed my settings to these. I am really impressed. It is much more natural looks, colors pop a bit more, and the whites are great (not real blue). I thought Taheer's settings were solid, but these are awesome!
post #573 of 734 Old 07-08-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Balls View Post
I'm coming from a 60pk540, so plasma to plasma, my 60pk540 seemed brighter, also this tv doesn't seem as sharp. could be the source. ill test it over the next few days. just wish it was a little brighter.
What settings are you using? Try Sharon's posted above in my quote. They are pretty darn good!
post #574 of 734 Old 07-09-2014, 02:43 AM

Dm, with those display settings, do you watch blu-rays with real cinema turned on? Do you see a benefit of turing it on?
post #575 of 734 Old 07-09-2014, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaoran
I use this :

Expert1

Expert Control

White Balance

Color Management System

Picture Options

Hi guys, I have had this TV for about a month now, and I am really happy with this set. For some reason I don't have access to edit Expert Pattern, Real Cinema, or Motion Eye Care. Does anyone know how to access these 3 settings?
post #576 of 734 Old 07-09-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms23 View Post
Dm, with those display settings, do you watch blu-rays with real cinema turned on? Do you see a benefit of turing it on?
I don't have a blu-ray hooked up at the moment. I do have a PS3, but rarely watch blu-ray. Most of my movie collection is digital thru plex, which I use a Mac Mini to watch or through the SmartTV features (side loading Plex app). I really could not give you a good answer.
post #577 of 734 Old 07-09-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmartinez49 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaoran
I use this :

Expert1

Expert Control

White Balance

Color Management System

Picture Options

Hi guys, I have had this TV for about a month now, and I am really happy with this set. For some reason I don't have access to edit Expert Pattern, Real Cinema, or Motion Eye Care. Does anyone know how to access these 3 settings?
I know "Real Cinema" is for 2:2 pulldown, and only works if the tv senses a source that is capable (blu-ray). I am really not sure on the other items. Check the user guide in the help menu, it might have some information about both.
post #578 of 734 Old 07-09-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtaub View Post
I just changed my settings to these. I am really impressed. It is much more natural looks, colors pop a bit more, and the whites are great (not real blue). I thought Taheer's settings were solid, but these are awesome!
Thanks for the compliment

Oh, and for the settings

Real Cinema = available on 24p content
Motion eye Care = only available in eco mode
Expert Patterns = i don't know
post #579 of 734 Old 07-09-2014, 04:15 PM

Shaoran, thanks! Do you find that the Real Cinema makes a difference when detecting a blu ray? Also, if the BD player gives the option of outputting at 24hz or 60hz, which would you recommend, and also if you choose 60hz will the Real Cinema work even though it is not at 24hz?

Thanks for the assistance.
post #580 of 734 Old 07-09-2014, 04:52 PM

I would choose 60hz, because the black level is way better on 60hz content than on 24p/50hz

And Real Cinema isn't working when choosing 60hz
post #581 of 734 Old 07-10-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone have a good picture setup on Game Mode? It doesn't use all the same types of fields as expert control. I tried to set mine up to match as close to Shaoran's expert settings as I could, but I wanted to see what other people were using for their Game settings.

Also, regarding Shaoran's settings, the "True Motion" field is grayed out for me. Not sure that I'd want to use it anyway, but I'd at least like to try it out. What am I doing wrong?
post #582 of 734 Old 07-10-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoAlphaLima View Post
Does anyone have a good picture setup on Game Mode? It doesn't use all the same types of fields as expert control. I tried to set mine up to match as close to Shaoran's expert settings as I could, but I wanted to see what other people were using for their Game settings.

Also, regarding Shaoran's settings, the "True Motion" field is grayed out for me. Not sure that I'd want to use it anyway, but I'd at least like to try it out. What am I doing wrong?
Change the HDMI Input to PC (Input Button, Red Button, HDMI Input you use for gaming and change to PC) and use Expert 1 for gaming, in PC Mode the Input Lag is a little lower (52-53ms) as in normal game mode (55-56ms) and you can use my settings also for gaming, as i do

In game mode TruMotion is always grayed out, and HDMI Input labeled as PC also, for gaming trumotion should always be off

Last edited by Shaoran; 07-10-2014 at 09:01 PM.
post #583 of 734 Old 07-10-2014, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
so i was using the disney wow calibration disc blu-ray today (which is pretty great actually) and noticed that my tv's aspect ratio was set to 16:9. the disc showed that with this setting there is a decent amount of overscanning and it was blurring the lines in the 'sharpness' testing.

what do you guys use? 16:9 or 'just scan'. just scan allowed me to calibrate the disc's sharpness perfectly.

...i did however just read online somewhere that this may effect the orbiter as when it shifts it has no extra pixels to shift over. is that right?
post #584 of 734 Old 07-11-2014, 03:41 AM

I use just scan and have no problems with the orbiter mode
post #585 of 734 Old 07-11-2014, 06:40 AM

Has anyone watched hockey on this set? I want to know how aggressive the ABL is. I realize it might get a little greyed out but on the Samsung F5300's, the ABL can cause flickering while watching hockey and I want to know if anyone has experienced that on the new LG's.
post #586 of 734 Old 07-11-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSteve5 View Post
Has anyone watched hockey on this set? I want to know how aggressive the ABL is. I realize it might get a little greyed out but on the Samsung F5300's, the ABL can cause flickering while watching hockey and I want to know if anyone has experienced that on the new LG's.
I watched some of the NHL playoffs on this set. Not a lot, since I got it at the end of May. But I'm sure I watched at least a few Stanley Cup Finals games on it. Didn't notice any problems with ABL, but I also had power-saving mode turned off, so that might have had something to do with it.
post #587 of 734 Old 07-11-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seikon View Post
so i was using the disney wow calibration disc blu-ray today (which is pretty great actually) and noticed that my tv's aspect ratio was set to 16:9. the disc showed that with this setting there is a decent amount of overscanning and it was blurring the lines in the 'sharpness' testing.

what do you guys use? 16:9 or 'just scan'. just scan allowed me to calibrate the disc's sharpness perfectly.

...i did however just read online somewhere that this may effect the orbiter as when it shifts it has no extra pixels to shift over. is that right?
Yeah, use "just scan" for all settings. It will eliminate the overscan. Once you are done calibrating, please post your settings so we can all try it out too!
post #588 of 734 Old 07-11-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoAlphaLima View Post
I watched some of the NHL playoffs on this set. Not a lot, since I got it at the end of May. But I'm sure I watched at least a few Stanley Cup Finals games on it. Didn't notice any problems with ABL, but I also had power-saving mode turned off, so that might have had something to do with it.
Thanks. From what I've read no amount of tweaking could eliminated the flickering on the F5300, although it could be reduced and only happened on some games. But since we are few months from hockey season I didn't want to take the chance.
post #589 of 734 Old 07-11-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaoran View Post
I use just scan and have no problems with the orbiter mode
Quote:
Yeah, use "just scan" for all settings. It will eliminate the overscan. Once you are done calibrating, please post your settings so we can all try it out too!
so just to confirm...you guys use 'just scan' and have the orbiter set to ON?

until being made aware of the aspect ratio (via the wow disc) i didn't even realize that when the orbiter is on (in 16:9 or just scan) there's a faint black bar on the right hand side to make room for any shifting. i'm sure that's normal and i never noticed before, it's just kind of funny how before the disc i never even gave it any thought.
post #590 of 734 Old 07-11-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
though the disc is very very very thorough (and recommended), i am far from a videophile, so a lot of the settings i looked into but didn't really put much time on them.

funny thing is, the main settings are very similar to what has been discussed here earlier.

i originally had 'shaorons' settings in expert 1 and 'nseriessagas' in expert 2. i've had the tv for about a month and a half or so, so i'm not even sure i have enough hours into it that i should of used the disc/calibrated just yet. but i was curious about the disc and am not incredibly picky. i'm somewhat picky, but not incredibly.

i actually liked 'nseriessaga' settings at first. i also like medium tones as opposed to the warm ones. so colour wise i used his white balance and left the colour management system untouched as he did. to be honest...as long as the colour match looks fine to me, i am not really concerned about having the exact right (experts) colour scheme's so i didn't get too deep into the wow colouring section. i am more concerned about brightness, sharpness and contrast for shadows and stuff.

i was very aware of the issues that plasma's can have with the colour white. my set doesn't even get white enough to pass the wow disc contrast test. it still looks pretty white, but it doesn't matter what setting i change i cannot get it white enough for the testing it includes. it's pretty close i think, like when i go into some advanced settings the white brightness isn't that far off, but officially it could not get white enough for a couple of the test.

so after the long preamble, here's the settings i am using.

panel light 98
contrast 98
brightness 50
sharpness V 10
sharpness V 10
***the sharpness test on the disc is amazing. 10 seemed to be the exact number, no question. with anything else, or with 16:9 (overscan) on there was noticeable pixel blur.
colour 55
tint 0

dynamic contrast off
super resolution off
colour gamut standard
edge enhancer off
colour filter off
gamma 2.2
***there is a gamma test as well. i think the not true white's played tricks with this one as well. the disc said that 2.2 is a good number to leave it at, so that's what i did. i tried changing the gamut to wide and the gamma to the 3 different options in the actual test, but i honestly couldn't see much of a difference.

colour temp med
method 2 points
pattern outer
points high
red 3
green 0
blue -1

colour managament: untouched

noise reduction off
mpeg reduction off
black level low

that's about it!

any questions, feel free to ask.
post #591 of 734 Old 07-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ever since my 60" Toshiba DLP died I've been looking for another similar sized set. I picked up the 60PB6650 (the one with internal WiFi) at MicroCenter last week for $599 and am so far I'm very pleased. My only complaint is that the TV is very unforgiving on ANY kind of light. However to be fair I knew going in that the screen was very reflective and this is in an unfinished basement so bare bulbs and gray walls tend to accentuate the light. Used in the dark with bias lighting behind the TV the picture is impressive. I've tried several different settings but so far the ones posted by Shaoran in post 551 provide the best and most natural results.
post #592 of 734 Old 07-12-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Anyone know if this set is still $599 at Microcenter?
post #593 of 734 Old 07-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Tried Blu-ray for the first time & have an issue with serious flicker. I'm not talking about small lag or jutter but it appears it's interference of some kind. Initially I didn't have the ferrite core attached so I clipped one on the hdmi cable. At first it didn't work but after plugging & unplugging the hdmi several times & rerouting the cable to the Yamaha receiver it worked. Turned it on today & same issue. The setup is 3 sources going to the receiver & one output to the TV. No other input (Satellite or Roku) have this problem & I've swapped out the hdmi cables. Anyone else experience this? If so what was the resolution?

Last edited by wish; 07-12-2014 at 04:56 PM.
post #594 of 734 Old 07-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Interface issue resolved. I forgot I had the Blu-ray going thru a switcher. As soon as I took the switcher out of play the problem went away. I think the hdmi going from the switcher to the receiver and is lower quality and is unshielded.
post #595 of 734 Old 07-13-2014, 08:20 PM

Looking for a bit of help. Noticed that on a black screen, most notably when my directv goes to orbit, I catch a blue or green pixel. I'm assuming this is not normal. Any input would be appreciated. My PB6600 is about 60 days old.
post #596 of 734 Old 07-14-2014, 08:58 AM

Has anyone tried these settings. I found them on an Amazon review. They look like they might produce a pretty good picture. They are for a PK550 and also use a 20pt white balance:

Settings:

Picture Mode: ISF Expert 1
Contrast 98
Brightness 55
H Sharpness 46
V Sharpness 43
Color 53
Tint R8

Expert Controls:
Dynamic Contrast OFF
Noise Reduction OFF
Gamma MEDIUM
Black Level LOW
Color Gamut WIDE
Edge Enhance3er OFF
White Balance WARM
Method 20 Point IRE
Pattern Outter

White Balance:
IRE Red Green Blue
100 50 50 -50
95 11 5 -50
90 -20 29 -50
85 9 45 -30
80 -9 35 -50
75 5 30 -25
70 -16 11 -49
65 0 31 -25
60 -14 0 -49
55 -33 0 -30
50 -7 0 -24
45 -21 0 -16
40 -7 0 -24
35 9 0 -13
30 -17 0 -17
25 -14 0 24
20 -29 0 -17
15 -27 -5 12
10 -28 0 -17
5 0 0 0

Gamut
Color Tint
Red 0 -10
Green 8 4
Blue -1 0
Yellow -4 -11
Cyan -3 8
Magenta 2 -1
post #597 of 734 Old 07-14-2014, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Has anyone tried these settings. I found them on an Amazon review. They look like they might produce a pretty good picture. They are for a PK550 and also use a 20pt white balance:

Settings:

Picture Mode: ISF Expert 1
Contrast 98
Brightness 55
H Sharpness 46
V Sharpness 43
Color 53
Tint R8

Expert Controls:
Dynamic Contrast OFF
Noise Reduction OFF
Gamma MEDIUM
Black Level LOW
Color Gamut WIDE
Edge Enhance3er OFF
White Balance WARM
Method 20 Point IRE
Pattern Outter

White Balance:
IRE Red Green Blue
100 50 50 -50
95 11 5 -50
90 -20 29 -50
85 9 45 -30
80 -9 35 -50
75 5 30 -25
70 -16 11 -49
65 0 31 -25
60 -14 0 -49
55 -33 0 -30
50 -7 0 -24
45 -21 0 -16
40 -7 0 -24
35 9 0 -13
30 -17 0 -17
25 -14 0 24
20 -29 0 -17
15 -27 -5 12
10 -28 0 -17
5 0 0 0

Gamut
Color Tint
Red 0 -10
Green 8 4
Blue -1 0
Yellow -4 -11
Cyan -3 8
Magenta 2 -1

The sharpness seems way to high to me. As well as having to much color in the image as well as a lot of red push.
post #598 of 734 Old 07-14-2014, 11:41 AM

How is the 3D on this TV?

I'm hoping to choose a new TV with 3D capability and wanted to get an idea of if Active/Passive and Plasma/LCD would be better for me. I'm leaning towards Active 3D Plasma and since one of the models in this thread covers that I'm hoping some people could help me and provide their views on my concerns.

The main reason I'm thinking Active and Plasma is for the wider viewing angles and faster refresh rates.

My main concerns are:

1. Do the inherent wider viewing angles for Plasma also include being able to watch 3D at a wider viewing angle? I know the overall effect is diminished being off axis but how far to the side would I be able to go on this TV? Would it be around/over 60 degrees? And how would this compare to a Passive 3D Plasma or an Active/Passive LCD?

2. Although not as important, some leeway on Head Tilt would be nice. Given the way Active Shutter works I would have thought this would be better on an Active set rather than a Passive. Is anyone able to lay all the way down and still get some sense of the picture on the TV?

3. Is a Plasma set better at reducing crosstalk than an LCD? How is the crosstalk on this set?

4. Is the native refresh rate on this set 120Hz? Seems like it would need to be to handle Active 3D properly but all I'm able to find out is that it has a 600Hz subfield rate.

I have some other questions about supported media formats but I'll leave them for now.

If people could give their opinions on the above it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by lemming9; 07-14-2014 at 11:48 AM.
post #599 of 734 Old 07-14-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming9 View Post
I'm hoping to choose a new TV with 3D capability and wanted to get an idea of if Active/Passive and Plasma/LCD would be better for me. I'm leaning towards Active 3D Plasma and since one of the models in this thread covers that I'm hoping some people could help me and provide their views on my concerns.

The main reason I'm thinking Active and Plasma is for the wider viewing angles and faster refresh rates.

My main concerns are:

1. Do the inherent wider viewing angles for Plasma also include being able to watch 3D at a wider viewing angle? I know the overall effect is diminished being off axis but how far to the side would I be able to go on this TV? Would it be around/over 60 degrees? And how would this compare to a Passive 3D Plasma or an Active/Passive LCD?

2. Although not as important, some leeway on Head Tilt would be nice. Given the way Active Shutter works I would have thought this would be better on an Active set rather than a Passive. Is anyone able to lay all the way down and still get some sense of the picture on the TV?

3. Is a Plasma set better at reducing crosstalk than an LCD? How is the crosstalk on this set?

4. Is the native refresh rate on this set 120Hz? Seems like it would need to be to handle Active 3D properly but all I'm able to find out is that it has a 600Hz subfield rate.

I have some other questions about supported media formats but I'll leave them for now.

If people could give their opinions on the above it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The TV that this thread is about isn't a 3D TV.
post #600 of 734 Old 07-14-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Looking for a bit of help. Noticed that on a black screen, most notably when my directv goes to orbit, I catch a blue or green pixel. I'm assuming this is not normal. Any input would be appreciated. My PB6600 is about 60 days old.
Update: Definitely a blue stuck pixel. I can see it up close, within a couple of ft, on any screen. Calling LG today to see what my options are.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
pb6600
Gear in this thread - pb6600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page