Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 882 Old 08-12-2014, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Balls View Post
LG. they are coming Wed to replace the main board. I'm half tempted to just return this to micro center and get the 70lb7100 led
I understand the frustration. But I wouldn't let one "bad egg" ruin the whole bunch for you. I've had my set since April with zero issues, and I know that there are a lot of others like me out there. Unfortunately, you just got a bum TV. Hopefully they fix it and you are all set. It really is a solid TV.

I've never had an actual "in-home" experience with an LG LED. Only when I worked at Best Buy did I mess with them.

The price for the 70LB7100 is OUTRAGEOUS! If only I could afford a TV that costs that much! But, outside of bright room performance, I wonder if it really performs better than the 6600? If you want all the bells and whistles though, that TV seems to have it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 882 Old 08-13-2014, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheer19 View Post
I understand the frustration. But I wouldn't let one "bad egg" ruin the whole bunch for you. I've had my set since April with zero issues, and I know that there are a lot of others like me out there. Unfortunately, you just got a bum TV. Hopefully they fix it and you are all set. It really is a solid TV.

I've never had an actual "in-home" experience with an LG LED. Only when I worked at Best Buy did I mess with them.

The price for the 70LB7100 is OUTRAGEOUS! If only I could afford a TV that costs that much! But, outside of bright room performance, I wonder if it really performs better than the 6600? If you want all the bells and whistles though, that TV seems to have it!

see I'm very worried that the LED will not live up to expectations and have blur during football or nascar or other shows. I'm a plasma person. all the tvs in the house are plasma but the price and size is beyond tempting. and id be SUPER pissed if i drove an hour to get the tv then hour home to have it suck ass.
post #723 of 882 Old 08-13-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
see I'm very worried that the LED will not live up to expectations and have blur during football or nascar or other shows. I'm a plasma person. all the tvs in the house are plasma but the price and size is beyond tempting. and id be SUPER pissed if i drove an hour to get the tv then hour home to have it suck ass.
That is my thoughts exactly.

I have always used and loved Plasma TV's. I moved to larger house and my bedroom is really large, I was using a 50" Panny UT50 but thought "why not go bigger?", I had gone to the store a few days prior and was eyeing the 60" ST60 but when I went back to buy it...they were gone. And they weren't getting more since Panasonic had finally killed their plasma line. So, I decided I would try the Vizio 60" M LED TV since everyone (including CNET) was praising them. Got it home and all seemed fine. Then I started noticing BAD flash lighting issues and some weird motion problems despite the 240Hz. And some uniformity issues to boot. I couldn't take it!

Even though it was considered a "great TV for the money" I just didn't want the issues and actually took it back and got the Samsung PN60F5300 Plasma even though I lost 2 HDMI ports and smart/3D(which isn't a big deal to me).

But, it was so much better IMO.

So, I get it. LED's are better than they were a few years ago. But, I just can't be happy with them when I know how great Plasma looks.

And after the Pot tweaks on my LG, It honestly looks better than my Samsung Plasma using the good ole' eye test.
post #724 of 882 Old 08-13-2014, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
That is my thoughts exactly.

I have always used and loved Plasma TV's. I moved to larger house and my bedroom is really large, I was using a 50" Panny UT50 but thought "why not go bigger?", I had gone to the store a few days prior and was eyeing the 60" ST60 but when I went back to buy it...they were gone. And they weren't getting more since Panasonic had finally killed their plasma line. So, I decided I would try the Vizio 60" M LED TV since everyone (including CNET) was praising them. Got it home and all seemed fine. Then I started noticing BAD flash lighting issues and some weird motion problems despite the 240Hz. And some uniformity issues to boot. I couldn't take it!

Even though it was considered a "great TV for the money" I just didn't want the issues and actually took it back and got the Samsung PN60F5300 Plasma even though I lost 2 HDMI ports and smart/3D(which isn't a big deal to me).

But, it was so much better IMO.

So, I get it. LED's are better than they were a few years ago. But, I just can't be happy with them when I know how great Plasma looks.

And after the Pot tweaks on my LG, It honestly looks better than my Samsung Plasma using the good ole' eye test.
what all tweaks are you running.
post #725 of 882 Old 08-13-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
what all tweaks are you running.
Well, you actually have to take the back of the TV off. There are two "pots" that are called Set_up and Set_down that will turn fully clockwise (or as far as they turn) and then put the back on the tv. And, at least on my set, it helps the black levels tremendously. If you look at some of the earlier posts you can see several people (including myself) who have posted some information on how to do it and even pictures.

I recommend doing it if you aren't too afraid to lay the tv down and take the back panel off. It is very simple to do.
post #726 of 882 Old 08-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Just fyi, Samsung panels can also be tweaked in the same way to improve black levels. I just dropped Vs on my PN60F5300 and my black level measures at 0.002ftL which is pretty much identical with what the F8500 achieves. Out of the box, I believe that my black levels were ~0.005 to 0.006ftL. I now have a measured contrast ratio of ~17500 with peak white at 35ftL in movie mode.

Also, I would recommend cautioning people about the risks of opening up the back of your Plasma panel. There are capacitors in there storing a lot of charge at high voltage and accidentally touching/shorting them can result in serious injury/death. Everyone should be extremely cautious when opening the back of the panel to make potentiometer adjustments. Always have someone around to watch and assist in case something goes wrong.
post #727 of 882 Old 08-13-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Just fyi, Samsung panels can also be tweaked in the same way to improve black levels. I just dropped Vs on my PN60F5300 and my black level measures at 0.002ftL which is pretty much identical with what the F8500 achieves. Out of the box, I believe that my black levels were ~0.005 to 0.006ftL. I now have a measured contrast ratio of ~17500 with peak white at 35ftL in movie mode.

Also, I would recommend cautioning people about the risks of opening up the back of your Plasma panel. There are capacitors in there storing a lot of charge at high voltage and accidentally touching/shorting them can result in serious injury/death. Everyone should be extremely cautious when opening the back of the panel to make potentiometer adjustments. Always have someone around to watch and assist in case something goes wrong.
Thats awesome. I had no idea. Can you provide some instructions and/or pictures of the dials that need to be tweaked? and how much they need tweaking?
post #728 of 882 Old 08-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thats awesome. I had no idea. Can you provide some instructions and/or pictures of the dials that need to be tweaked? and how much they need tweaking?
Sure, this is Zoyd's thread on it: Samsung Plasma Panel tweaks for better blacks.

You can read through my thread where I have pics of the PN60F5300 pots, etc. I wasn't looking to improve black levels, but I believe that dropping Vs to counter pink tint on my panel gave me the benefit of much improved black levels as well. Countering pink-tint on my F5300 with slides - Dumb idea?
post #729 of 882 Old 08-14-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Am I the only one who thinks the tv stand is way too flimsy? My 42" Panasonic doesn't budge on it's stand but the LG scares me.....
post #730 of 882 Old 08-14-2014, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegre View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the tv stand is way too flimsy? My 42" Panasonic doesn't budge on it's stand but the LG scares me.....
I had mine on the stand for about 2 weeks before wall mounting. I didn't feel is was super flimsy. The Panny stands are beastly. That is probably what you are used to. It was way better than the my 60" Samsung Plasma stand.
post #731 of 882 Old 08-15-2014, 08:02 AM

DEAL ALERT!!!!

FRYS is running the PB6900 from retail $1399 down to $699!!! until 8/21. Can be picked up or shipped. If someone was thinking of pulling the trigger on the PB6600/6650, this is probably a better deal.
post #732 of 882 Old 08-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like a fantastic deal if you're looking for a Plasma TV with 3D. I'm assuming that since this is a 3D TV, it also likely has higher peak brightness in regular 2D mode? If so, that would be a good thing for day time viewing as well.
post #733 of 882 Old 08-15-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtaub View Post
DEAL ALERT!!!!

FRYS is running the PB6900 from retail $1399 down to $699!!! until 8/21. Can be picked up or shipped. If someone was thinking of pulling the trigger on the PB6600/6650, this is probably a better deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Looks like a fantastic deal if you're looking for a Plasma TV with 3D. I'm assuming that since this is a 3D TV, it also likely has higher peak brightness in regular 2D mode? If so, that would be a good thing for day time viewing as well.
if someone is interested they should act fast

typically the shipping option runs out in the first 2-3 days...then it begins to be an in store only deal

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #734 of 882 Old 08-17-2014, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone confirm 5.1 output from the optical out is a no go? LG's are known not to work and I was hoping that all my streaming woes would be solved

The smart tv handles DLNA content just fine. Picks up my Plex server beautifully. But sound output is in stereo or Pro Logic
post #735 of 882 Old 08-17-2014, 09:09 PM

I have 5.1 out with optical. Netflix and Hulu plus, as well as my plex movies.
post #736 of 882 Old 08-19-2014, 02:56 AM

Quote:
I have 5.1 out with optical. Netflix and Hulu plus, as well as my plex movies.
Good to know. After many hours of struggling with my Onkyo after I moved, she's fried. I have to get a new receiver. Are you getting AC3 (Dolby Digital) and DTS? Or one of the either from your Plex movies?
post #737 of 882 Old 08-20-2014, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
After a lot of research I've made the jump from LED to plasma and bought the 60PB6900 the other day. Visually so much better than an LED. I used the calibration settings posted by Sharon(?) and it was a vast improvement over what it looked like out of the box; however, I'm pretty new to this and have a question. While watching TV, close ups look incredibly crisp and clean, but the same broadcast showing a shot from a distance is not. For example, I was watching America's Got Talent last night and when they would show the people on stage from a distance things seemed a tad out of focus (for lack of a better description), but close up shots are perfect. The same things on my LED tv looked crisp at all times (minus the motion blur) and was only 5" smaller. Is this something I could fix by tweaking settings or just something to live with?

Another thing I noticed is watching Conan or Big Bang Theory on TBS looks like crap, but watching Jimmy Fallon on NBC looks great. Both are 1080i broadcasts and both looked great on my old TV. Am I just noticing the differences in these things now because I have a better TV?

I'm going to try a movie tonight and see if it's just a problem when watching TV, which I kind of assume it is.
post #738 of 882 Old 08-20-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kargt13 View Post
After a lot of research I've made the jump from LED to plasma and bought the 60PB6900 the other day. Visually so much better than an LED. I used the calibration settings posted by Sharon(?) and it was a vast improvement over what it looked like out of the box; however, I'm pretty new to this and have a question. While watching TV, close ups look incredibly crisp and clean, but the same broadcast showing a shot from a distance is not. For example, I was watching America's Got Talent last night and when they would show the people on stage from a distance things seemed a tad out of focus (for lack of a better description), but close up shots are perfect. The same things on my LED tv looked crisp at all times (minus the motion blur) and was only 5" smaller. Is this something I could fix by tweaking settings or just something to live with?

Another thing I noticed is watching Conan or Big Bang Theory on TBS looks like crap, but watching Jimmy Fallon on NBC looks great. Both are 1080i broadcasts and both looked great on my old TV. Am I just noticing the differences in these things now because I have a better TV?

I'm going to try a movie tonight and see if it's just a problem when watching TV, which I kind of assume it is.
Congrats on your purchase. You will not be disappointed. What you are seeing is due the broadcast. Although both may say 1080i on your box, one might actual be 720p and your tv is trying to upscale it. Also, different networks broadcast using different HD cameras which can cause graininess and distortion in the picture. When I watch some football games, some camera shots look spectacular, other out of focus. Just depends on the camera as well. The movie should show you that it is the broadcast signal that is the difference.
post #739 of 882 Old 08-20-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

really funny you mention this...i had what sounds like a very similar issue.

first off, i would agree with what someone else has already said, different shows/stations seem to have different quality. i know (here in Canada) i watch the MLB network and the quality seems noticeably lower than other channels. happens on my 42 inch lg LED as well.

as for your sharpness (focus) issue here's what i did from my end after experiencing the exact same concerns. i was always an LED guy before i bought this plasma and used the plasma settings everyone else seemed to be using (on this thread, or reviewer settings). everyone seems to have their sharpness setting at 8-10. i simply just up'd the sharpness level to 20. i played around between 20-30 sharpness but found 20 was a good mix of clear and crisp and not too many artifacts.

i even went a few steps further and looked at a couple LED's of mine and some buddies and was very surprised that the sharpness on those tv's was up to 50-60 setting sometimes (or very high). i think it's honestly just coming from LED to plasma there's a fair amount of 'getting used to' the new style picture. that's what i experienced. i just needed to find a happy medium in the sharpness.

try it and report back, i'm very curious if we are experience a very similar 'rookie' plasma thing!
post #740 of 882 Old 08-20-2014, 09:07 PM

Reporting back. LG is now outputting DTS and Dolby Digital to my new receiver. If anyone is looking for a new one the Sony STR-DH750 is on sale for $300. I got an open box for $230. I feel like I raped Best Buy. Doesn't even get hot compared with my old room heater Onkyo. Love the ARC feature. Everything turns off with one button.
post #741 of 882 Old 08-21-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Congrats on your purchase. You will not be disappointed. What you are seeing is due the broadcast. Although both may say 1080i on your box, one might actual be 720p and your tv is trying to upscale it. Also, different networks broadcast using different HD cameras which can cause graininess and distortion in the picture. When I watch some football games, some camera shots look spectacular, other out of focus. Just depends on the camera as well. The movie should show you that it is the broadcast signal that is the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seikon View Post
really funny you mention this...i had what sounds like a very similar issue.

first off, i would agree with what someone else has already said, different shows/stations seem to have different quality. i know (here in Canada) i watch the MLB network and the quality seems noticeably lower than other channels. happens on my 42 inch lg LED as well.

as for your sharpness (focus) issue here's what i did from my end after experiencing the exact same concerns. i was always an LED guy before i bought this plasma and used the plasma settings everyone else seemed to be using (on this thread, or reviewer settings). everyone seems to have their sharpness setting at 8-10. i simply just up'd the sharpness level to 20. i played around between 20-30 sharpness but found 20 was a good mix of clear and crisp and not too many artifacts.

i even went a few steps further and looked at a couple LED's of mine and some buddies and was very surprised that the sharpness on those tv's was up to 50-60 setting sometimes (or very high). i think it's honestly just coming from LED to plasma there's a fair amount of 'getting used to' the new style picture. that's what i experienced. i just needed to find a happy medium in the sharpness.

try it and report back, i'm very curious if we are experience a very similar 'rookie' plasma thing!
I think you're right. I'm a sharpness snob. I turned it up to 15, but I promise to all those on here that I will slowly turn it down over time as I get used to it
post #742 of 882 Old 08-21-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm having the same issue. Close ups are super sharp, distance shots look blurry. I'll try messing with sharpness, but I'm not sure why that would / should matter?

This is all over Verizon fios, I haven't tried loading any blu-rays yet.
post #743 of 882 Old 08-21-2014, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
FYI: There's a new firmware/software available. It's version .04.01.02. No info available about what it contains but I did just downloaded it.

Last edited by ehgz1; 08-21-2014 at 07:07 PM.
post #744 of 882 Old 08-22-2014, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
I'm having the same issue. Close ups are super sharp, distance shots look blurry. I'll try messing with sharpness, but I'm not sure why that would / should matter?

This is all over Verizon fios, I haven't tried loading any blu-rays yet.
It is the low bandwidth given to the channels on cable/satellite. Nothing you can adjust to make it go away.
It really sucks how poorly so many cable re-conversions are. Absolute garbage.
post #745 of 882 Old 08-22-2014, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought the 50" PB6600 from Microcenter when they were closing it out at $400. I still can't believe I got such a great deal.

I'll probably try calibrating my set with the settings in the beginning of the thread and see how it looks. I haven't had any complaints so far in the 2 months I've owned the set.
post #746 of 882 Old 08-23-2014, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The 6650 is on sale for $699+ free shipping again at fry's. Believe the sale runs through Aug 28

Last edited by LOWPRO24Z; 08-23-2014 at 04:14 PM.
post #747 of 882 Old 08-23-2014, 10:19 PM

At first what I thought was a stuck pixel...I have a freaking insect inside the tv just behind the glass. Any idea how to get the thing out? I was thinking of just trying to blow air in the tv but not so sure...

I think its still alive..it moves lol. I am not joking! Must have dropped in from the top vents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BUG.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	600.0 KB
ID:	226585  
post #748 of 882 Old 08-24-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-e-L-L-o View Post
At first what I thought was a stuck pixel...I have a freaking insect inside the tv just behind the glass. Any idea how to get the thing out? I was thinking of just trying to blow air in the tv but not so sure...

I think its still alive..it moves lol. I am not joking! Must have dropped in from the top vents.
This is what is nice about having a plasma with only a single pane of glass bonded to the panel (60F5300), nothing can get in between the panel and glass. My older Panasonic that was dual glass ended up getting condensation or something inside the glass so the tv had a foggy look in some areas of the screen.

As for the bug that is quite hilarious to be honest, but a service call should get someone to come out and take apart the tv for you under warranty.
post #749 of 882 Old 08-25-2014, 02:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 80
If it's still alive, try drawing it with light, ie. night time, tv off, torch or light at the top of the tv by the vents... it might just fly out!
post #750 of 882 Old 08-25-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-e-L-L-o View Post

That is pretty funny to be honest. If you are under warranty, just give LG a call. They will come out and take it apart, and make sure the screen is clear before putting it back together. Otherwise, DIY.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
pb6600
Gear in this thread - pb6600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page