Any more info on LG PB6600 (or other 2014 model) plasma? - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179Likes

post #1051 of 1764 Old 12-01-2014, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wink Followup on Lg Plasma set Micro Center $499 value

Well, my plasma is finally set up. It was a comedy of errors getting an HD box for it. After 3+ hours with RCN trying to get a tivo box connected over the phone, a tech finally had to come out. It seems the tivo and 2 other two little boxes that relay the internet from the modem to the tv were set up fine..however a cable company supplied amplifier and a non pre-loaded tivo box were the culprit.

The plasma picture is now looking good. I have not had time to fine tune it though. I believe I’ll be keeping the set. I still feel the picture on my other LG LED tv is a bit more crisp and vivid though. Nevertheless at $499 it’s a keeper and perhaps the picture will improve over the next few weeks as some have mentioned.

I hope the set lasts a long time. I am debating hanging it on the wall..it weighs quite a bit though.

Personally, I think a 55” set would have been fine for my size room, perhaps thats why the picture is not looking quite as good as upstairs where I sit further back. Perhaps bigger is not always better. (to quote the bizzaro world’s Michael Scott…"that’s not what she said")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1764 Old 12-01-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just bought this tv. Quick question as far as burn in, is there a program i can download to run for the 200 hours? I remember with my old plasma i ran a color program that just moved and changed the colors on the screen. I cant seem to find it now.

Thanks
Kevin
post #1053 of 1764 Old 12-01-2014, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfa21 View Post
Just bought this tv. Quick question as far as burn in, is there a program i can download to run for the 200 hours? I remember with my old plasma i ran a color program that just moved and changed the colors on the screen. I cant seem to find it now.

Thanks
Kevin
search "break-in slides" on the forum and you should find what you are looking for.

post #1054 of 1764 Old 12-01-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaoran View Post
I use this :

Expert1

Panel light: 99
Contrast: 96
Brightness: 53
H-Sharpness: 8
V-Sharpness: 8
Color: 50
Tint: G1

Expert Control

Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Resolution : Off
Color Gamut: Wide
Edge Enhancer: Off
Color Filter: Off
Expert Pattern: Grayed Out
Gamma: 2.4

White Balance

Color Temp: Warm 2
Method: 2 Points
Pattern: Outer
Red: - 8
Green: 0
Blue: + 6
Red : -1
Green: -3
Blue: +4

Color Management System

Yellow: 4,0,6
Red:-6,0,0
Green:4,0,6
Blue:3,0,0
Cyan:5,0,5
Magenta:4,-3,-7

Picture Options

Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: Grayed Out
Motion Eye Care: Grayed Out
True Motion: User 3/10
I purchased a 60PB5600 but can't find the bolded options above. Has anyone seen these with the 5600? Could it be the firmware? LG doesn't seem to provide firmware updates for non-smart TV's. Or am I just an idiot and its there somewhere.
post #1055 of 1764 Old 12-01-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSteve5 View Post
I purchased a 60PB5600 but can't find the bolded options above. Has anyone seen these with the 5600? Could it be the firmware? LG doesn't seem to provide firmware updates for non-smart TV's. Or am I just an idiot and its there somewhere.

The 5600 doesn't have trumotion. Hence why you can't find it. To get to the low setting, highlight high on the picture setting, press enter to get into the sub menu, then arrow right. Should change to low, then make the switch. Those are my settings too, but I use 54 brightness
post #1056 of 1764 Old 12-01-2014, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Aaah, I understand. I thought Points was set in two places, but there are two sets of RGB one for Points HIGH and one for Points LOW.

Thanks for the info!
post #1057 of 1764 Old 12-01-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSteve5 View Post
Aaah, I understand. I thought Points was set in two places, but there are two sets of RGB one for Points HIGH and one for Points LOW.

Thanks for the info!

No problem. And I prefer warm 1. Not so dingy whites, but play around with what works best for your panel.
post #1058 of 1764 Old 12-02-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtaub View Post
search "break-in slides" on the forum and you should find what you are looking for.
Thank you!!!
post #1059 of 1764 Old 12-02-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
The 5600 doesn't have trumotion. Hence why you can't find it. To get to the low setting, highlight high on the picture setting, press enter to get into the sub menu, then arrow right. Should change to low, then make the switch. Those are my settings too, but I use 54 brightness
What's interesting, is that the true motion setting is generally greyed out, but I was messing with my 5600 and when hdmi wasn't hooked up to anything, it undithered and showed it as an option. I'll play with it some more, but maybe it's possible to enable it?
post #1060 of 1764 Old 12-02-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1ngV1per View Post
What's interesting, is that the true motion setting is generally greyed out, but I was messing with my 5600 and when hdmi wasn't hooked up to anything, it undithered and showed it as an option. I'll play with it some more, but maybe it's possible to enable it?
Hmmm, interesting. Even the LG website says no trumotion on the 5600. Would be interested to see if it just a software limitation.
post #1061 of 1764 Old 12-02-2014, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cppc1 View Post
I'm waiting for my 60PB5600 coming. The room I'm about to put it at has 1 big window with horizontal blinds, so there will be quite a bit of light coming in on day time even if I close the blinds. My question is: Should I put the TV back to the window, or buying curtains and put the TV facing the window? Which way would give me the best viewing experience? Thanks
my room arrangement is exactly like yours and I tried it both ways. First I put the tv in front of the window with the window itself behind the tv. With the blinds open, the tv looked washed out. With the blinds closed, it was fine. I ended up putting the TV on the opposite wall anyway since either way I needed to have blinds shut and found it better for some reason this was. I think because with the first way, even with blinds shut, there was still ambient light behind tv that was distracting. With the tv on opposite wall from window, I can barely see any reflections. either way, you will need to close the blinds.
post #1062 of 1764 Old 12-02-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Side-by-side settings comparison

Hi everybody. My first post here. I recently purchased the 60PB6650 from MicroCenter during their $599 pre-black friday sale. Having read through this entire thread, I created a spreadsheet with side-by-side expert picture settings from various users. (Taheer, ander77, Shaoran, MK1980, davehancock, fbov)

I'm attaching the file to this post. Hopefully the file upload will work properly and the comparison will be useful to others. My apologies if I have omitted anyone or misrepresented anyone's settings.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LG Owners Settings.zip (11.2 KB, 345 views)
guest68, katchxxii and Alegre like this.
post #1063 of 1764 Old 12-02-2014, 06:55 PM

LG WiFi software issue

I noticed my 60PB6650 will not connect to my wifi access point when using a password longer than 32 characters. Not a major problem, but it took me a while to determine why it could not connect. Working fine with a 32 character password now.
post #1064 of 1764 Old 12-02-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambdafun View Post
Hi everybody. My first post here. I recently purchased the 60PB6650 from MicroCenter during their $599 pre-black friday sale. Having read through this entire thread, I created a spreadsheet with side-by-side expert picture settings from various users. (Taheer, ander77, Shaoran, MK1980, davehancock, fbov)

I'm attaching the file to this post. Hopefully the file upload will work properly and the comparison will be useful to others. My apologies if I have omitted anyone or misrepresented anyone's settings.

Thank you, I receive my 60PB5600 at the end of the week and was not looking forward to digging these 36 pages.

So to my understanding, since the PB5600 doesn't have TruMotion, it won't have that soap opera effect on TV/Movies despite having 600Hz refresh rate?
post #1065 of 1764 Old 12-02-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Keep in mind that these are from different LG models and that there may well be differences due to that alone. Also, the fact that I did not post certain settings, does not mean that I did not make those adjustments.

Dave Hancock
post #1066 of 1764 Old 12-02-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
Keep in mind that these are from different LG models and that there may well be differences due to that alone. Also, the fact that I did not post certain settings, does not mean that I did not make those adjustments.

Dave is correct, some of the CMS and white balance adjustments are going to be different depending on the panel. Me personally, I have been using Sharons settings since he put them up and am very, very happy. I'm thinking about doing a calibration, using the wow disc or avs disc. Not sure.
post #1067 of 1764 Old 12-02-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearcuttension View Post
Thank you, I receive my 60PB5600 at the end of the week and was not looking forward to digging these 36 pages.

So to my understanding, since the PB5600 doesn't have TruMotion, it won't have that soap opera effect on TV/Movies despite having 600Hz refresh rate?

Correct
post #1068 of 1764 Old 12-02-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm thinking about doing a calibration, using the wow disc or avs disc. Not sure.
Unless you are actually measuring the screen with an accurate instrument you are not "calibrating" anything!

You may be adjusting, but not calibrating!

Dave Hancock
post #1069 of 1764 Old 12-02-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
Unless you are actually measuring the screen with an accurate instrument you are not "calibrating" anything!

You may be adjusting, but not calibrating!

Advanced adjustment 😁
post #1070 of 1764 Old 12-02-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting. Even the LG website says no trumotion on the 5600. Would be interested to see if it just a software limitation.
I double checked this and I was wrong. "True Motion" is not even a visible option on the 5600, I was looking at "Real Cinema" which I think is only select-able depending on the video the TV is receiving.
tommyfats likes this.
post #1071 of 1764 Old 12-02-2014, 10:49 PM

Is it correct that the 60PB5600 does not have the Wizard? I'm not seeing that in the menu.

Also it appears there is no firmware to check/update. Is that correct?

Thanks.
post #1072 of 1764 Old 12-03-2014, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK1980 View Post
Hello granted solution and big thanks to Matrix7, Turrican4D and Nitewatchman for contribution and support finally issue solved!
As Matrix7 mentioned in top of 2nd page of this thread discussion - LG PB690V Plasma TV green noise/static on dark areas on IRE5 you have to go with green colour below 0 when flashing dots visible from 15feets - because of bad picture will dissapear, and now I have used R5 G-45 and B -1 or -2 whichever in all movies picture is very great
Sorry people my mistake, I appologize for too rush post. In most sources I was defecting full picture settings, by minusing of green colour of 20IRE setting posted by Ander77 on IRE5 white level to -45green colour( or whichever minus below 0), it was hugely hurting most of movies(this is for advanced users certain from beginning), only 2 movies really has been in few scenes much better looking without pwm noise, not so big deal, but overally more correct colour adjustment is absolutelly more important in most sources. Missing of colour like green will appear in overall picture damage or missing particles of scene etc.

2nd case if sometimes 20IRE setting I`m using look not best in all dark movies(depends on movie), finally IRE2 not so much modified warm2 setting with standard colours is working stable in all darker movies, as there are not picture visibility issues in shadows, with more basic adjustments like with not superior balanced advanced settings. on 20IRE setting I need to increase brightness level more high like on 2IRE setting only to get same visibility on IRE5, it is telling something about usage of advanced setting without real calibration with measurement tools... I will wait for profi calibration, anyhow so far I`m happy with this set, it is not all records beater type but good TV. No understanding of TV is not fault of TV maker.

Anyhow some more 20IRE adjustments with Standard colour spectrum will be interesting to try, but so far it is risky to post and expect on all sets good results, I would like to try if you`ll post some settings and give it shot anyhow.

Last edited by MK1980; 12-03-2014 at 05:48 AM.
post #1073 of 1764 Old 12-03-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecr72 View Post
Is it correct that the 60PB5600 does not have the Wizard? I'm not seeing that in the menu.

Also it appears there is no firmware to check/update. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Correct, no trumotion, no picture wizard. Very very basic plasma.
post #1074 of 1764 Old 12-03-2014, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK1980 View Post
Sorry people my mistake, I appologize for too rush post. In most sources I was defecting full picture settings, by minusing of green colour of 20IRE setting posted by Ander77 on IRE5 white level to -45green colour( or whichever minus below 0), it was hugely hurting most of movies(this is for advanced users certain from beginning), only 2 movies really has been in few scenes much better looking without pwm noise, not so big deal, but overally more correct colour adjustment is absolutelly more important in most sources. Missing of colour like green will appear in overall picture damage or missing particles of scene etc.

2nd case if sometimes 20IRE setting I`m using look not best in all dark movies(depends on movie), finally IRE2 not so much modified warm2 setting with standard colours is working stable in all darker movies, as there are not picture visibility issues in shadows, with more basic adjustments like with not superior balanced advanced settings. on 20IRE setting I need to increase brightness level more high like on 2IRE setting only to get same visibility on IRE5, it is telling something about usage of advanced setting without real calibration with measurement tools... I will wait for profi calibration, anyhow so far I`m happy with this set, it is not all records beater type but good TV. No understanding of TV is not fault of TV maker.

Anyhow some more 20IRE adjustments with Standard colour spectrum will be interesting to try, but so far it is risky to post and expect on all sets good results, I would like to try if you`ll post some settings and give it shot anyhow.

MK1980 what setting are you using now? Have you changed from the previous post you helped me with?
post #1075 of 1764 Old 12-03-2014, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank72nova View Post
MK1980 what setting are you using now? Have you changed from the previous post you helped me with?
I`m using settings / the modified ones of ander77 shown in lambdafun posted excel file here, but on my PC desktop in HDMI set to PC mode and adjusted RGB 4:4:4 colour scheme in windows graphic card options, I`m using High black levels and brightness 54 ( 55 and over is giving green block mask all over the screen / so there is brightness limit on these sets in some modes). And on Sony BDP S6200 blu ray I use same settings with brightness around 49-51 with black levels LOW(sometimes 54 in very dark movies). Best picture improvement was finally using of high quality mentioned blu ray player instead of PC playback even with MAD VR codecs it is no match for high quality standalone Blu Ray players.

On this page you can find also setting posted by me found on 1 review, they`ve said it was used and checked with calibration software and equipment, and it is very close to reference picture, I found it has not as "dingy whites" shure because of Warm2 setting ( for me it is little dull, but natural colours and shades) pls try it, but it has not so much punch and vibrant picture like Ander 77 settings which I`m using I still hope we`ll be able to find out later on settings which have white balance between MEDIUM and Warm1 like , which should look little more dirty natural white and still enough punch to picture depth.

p.s. did you have modified little bit settings posted by Ander77 and reposted by me?

Last edited by MK1980; 12-05-2014 at 04:08 AM.
post #1076 of 1764 Old 12-04-2014, 06:29 PM

Adjusting picture settings

These may seem like very basic questions, but I'm new at this...
Is there a recommended step-by-step procedure for adjusting the settings?
In what order should the settings be changed?
When adjusting the expert picture settings, what image should be on the screen?
What is the criteria for determining if an adjustment is better or worse?
Are there dependencies between the settings, so that I need to make more than one pass through the settings to compensate for other adjustments?
post #1077 of 1764 Old 12-05-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 197
If you have the 6900, the settings mentioned above worked pretty well for me. I'm still only at about 10 hours. The out of box settings are pretty close, I think it's called expert?

Beyond that use a calibration disk or the Disney/THX calibration. If you have money to get it calibrated by a pro, you will probably get the best results (right Dave?).

I watched a bit of Pacific Rim last night in 3d and it looked pretty darn good after you got past the grainy opening where they were simulating tv broadcasts.
post #1078 of 1764 Old 12-05-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
If you have money to get it calibrated by a pro, you will probably get the best results (right Dave?).
Right.

One thing: I'd strongly suggest NOT fiddling with the 20pt white balance controls. If not done carefully, one can get odd behavior between the 5% adjustment points.

Dave Hancock
post #1079 of 1764 Old 12-05-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
These may seem like very basic questions, but I'm new at this...
Is there a recommended step-by-step procedure for adjusting the settings? ...
Which model do you have? I now have a 6900 and a 5600, and while they share a plasma panel, their electronics and SW are miles apart.

The 6900 (and I presume the 6600 as they're both "Smart," as in web-enabled, TVs) has a wizard that runs you through the basic controls, providing apprpriate test patterns at each step. The settings are saved in Expert1. The wizard presents various PLUGE test images, appropriate to the control being adjusted, and tell you what to look for in each. I think it's very well done. I've run mine a dozen times over the first 500 hours, to see how long the panel will take to stablize, indicating the end of break-in. It's just now getting back to the nominal values for color and tint...

The 5600 has no such capability. Although the adjustments are present, without the appropriate test image, you're flying blind. I'm thinking a thumb drive with the right patterns would be an easy alternative, at least until I have a disc player attached and can use a set-up DVD/BD, and assuming they'll work properly, no small thing here.

Have fun,
Frank
gregoryperkins likes this.
post #1080 of 1764 Old 12-05-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Wow, good to know. I haven't delved into the set much yet as it is so new.

The only thing that's bugging me is the grey bars on 2.35:1 content... I'm wondering about masking it. It's easier on a 60" than my 106" projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
pb6600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page