Samsung PN60F5500 or Panasonic TCP60ST50? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which would you recommend?
Samsung PN60F5500 4 66.67%
Panasonic TCP60ST50 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 04-19-2014, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

New member here that has been browsing the forums the last week or so trying to compare TVs for my next purchase. I can get either of these TVs brand new for $999 and I'm stuck on which one I should go for. I understand that the Panasonic is a model year older, but I've been reading nothing but good things about Panasonic plasmas. With both having roughly the same feature set (smart apps & active 3D) I wanted to reach out and see which of these two TVs the community would recommend. In case people are wondering what the use of the TV I purchase will be, it is primarily going to be used for gaming and movie watching in a bedroom with not much light.

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-19-2014, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

ST50. You're lucky you can get one for $1000.

P54G10, PN64F5500 owner.

post #3 of 20 Old 04-19-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
the Samsungs seem more immune to IR (especially stubborn IR) than the Panasonics... this is based on my experiences between the Panasonic 50" S60 and Samsung 51" F5300 with pixel orbiter/shift off on both
post #4 of 20 Old 04-19-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

the Samsungs seem more immune to IR (especially stubborn IR) than the Panasonics... this is based on my experiences between the Panasonic 50" S60 and Samsung 51" F5300 with pixel orbiter/shift off on both

I watch letter box content and broadcasts with sport tickers all the time and have yet to experience any IR issues on my S60. BTW, just because you're a Sammy guy now, it doesn't mean you can't participate on the S60's thread. I always appreciate your comments, whether I agree with them or not. wink.gif

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5 of 20 Old 04-19-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I watch letter box content and broadcasts with sport tickers all the time and have yet to experience any IR issues on my S60. BTW, just because you're a Sammy guy now, it doesn't mean you can't participate on the S60's thread. I always appreciate your comments, whether I agree with them or not. wink.gif

Ian

Do you have pixel orbiter on? With it on, my S60 had significantly reduced stubborn IR. However, on the Samsung I cannot turn on that feature without enabling overscan yet it seems not to need it (only short term IR that doesn't need any special patterns or static to clear). Also, I have been gaming for long periods of time on the Samsung and don't have any stubborn IR nor did I find myself babying the TV. With the S60, I was always very careful to minimize stubborn IR but it seems unnecessary on this set.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-20-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you have pixel orbiter on? With it on, my S60 had significantly reduced stubborn IR. However, on the Samsung I cannot turn on that feature without enabling overscan yet it seems not to need it (only short term IR that doesn't need any special patterns or static to clear). Also, I have been gaming for long periods of time on the Samsung and don't have any stubborn IR nor did I find myself babying the TV. With the S60, I was always very careful to minimize stubborn IR but it seems unnecessary on this set.

Yes, I do use the orbiter and I don't game. I also watch full screen content, or use the screen wash after displaying letter box content or bright static images like sports tickers. My screen has never shown any noticeable IR. My point is, that as long as you practice these minor precautions, you shouldn't have a problem and it shouldn't influence your buying decision.

Ian

post #7 of 20 Old 04-20-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I do use the orbiter and I don't game. I also watch full screen content, or use the screen wash after displaying letter box content or bright static images like sports tickers. My screen has never shown any noticeable IR. My point is, that as long as you practice these minor precautions, you shouldn't have a problem and it shouldn't influence your buying decision.

Ian

Well, it does bother some and so it's useful consumer information (also, I didn't realize the Samsung was quite a bit better in this regard until I made the switch... so those who have only owned a 2013 Panasonic and not a 2013-2014 Samsung might not realize how significant the difference can be).

Furthermore, if you were a gamer you might have a different perspective on things. And never having to run IR clearing measures makes enjoying the TV easier.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-20-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

PlasmaPZ80U, I am debating between a new 50" ST-60 (YES, I found one for ~ $900...long story) and a good used 50" PZ80U I found on Craigslist for $300 that is in excellent condition and has low hours (~4,000).  Between those 2 models which do you think would be less susceptible to IR?  Thanks! 

post #9 of 20 Old 04-20-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, it does bother some and so it's useful consumer information (also, I didn't realize the Samsung was quite a bit better in this regard until I made the switch... so those who have only owned a 2013 Panasonic and not a 2013-2014 Samsung might not realize how significant the difference can be).

Furthermore, if you were a gamer you might have a different perspective on things. And never having to run IR clearing measures makes enjoying the TV easier.

Actually, I would take the same simple precautions with any plasma, regardless of brand. Like I posted earlier, I always appreciate your opinion, but unless your an avid gamer, on this point we differ. wink.gif

Ian

post #10 of 20 Old 04-20-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, I would take the same simple precautions with any plasma, regardless of brand. Like I posted earlier, I always appreciate your opinion, but unless your an avid gamer, on this point we differ. wink.gif

Ian

At this point, I am an avid gamer. It's my primary use for my F5300. I'd say 75% of the total use for this set is for gaming and the rest for BD movies/Netflix Instant Streaming/HD Cable.
post #11 of 20 Old 04-20-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgpsh1967 View Post

PlasmaPZ80U, I am debating between a new 50" ST-60 (YES, I found one for ~ $900...long story) and a good used 50" PZ80U I found on Craigslist for $300 that is in excellent condition and has low hours (~4,000).  Between those 2 models which do you think would be less susceptible to IR?  Thanks! 

I have the 42" PZ80U (it's actually the set I based my screen name off of in 2009). It's seems to have minimal IR issues, though I sit much further from that 42" than I do from my 51" Samsung F5300, so that might make any IR issues less visible. In terms of PQ, I'd go for the ST60 without a second thought but if IR is a concern and you game a lot or view much content with black bars or static logos (or other static elements), you might be safer with the PZ80U. I've gamed on that a lot as well and never had to worry about stubborn IR (though I would leave the pixel orbiter on in the most aggressive mode to minimize the risk for stubborn IR... which is the force, 1 minute setting on the PZ80U).
zgpsh1967 likes this.
post #12 of 20 Old 04-20-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At this point, I am an avid gamer. It's my primary use for my F5300. I'd say 75% of the total use for this set is for gaming and the rest for BD movies/Netflix Instant Streaming/HD Cable.

I based my TV choices on sports and film content, which include broadcast, streaming and Blue-Rays. IMO, Panasonic is a better choice when it comes to over all PQ and reliability, then Samsung. These are points the OP should also take into consideration, but only if he can find one.

Ian

post #13 of 20 Old 04-20-2014, 10:24 AM

PlasmaPZ80U, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Like you you I have an older Panasonic (PX-60U) that has had 0 issues with stubborn IR.  I can leave ESPN or CNN on all day and there's no visible IR of logos or tickers.  I can stream sources such as Pandora and there may be a ghost image for a minute and it's gone.

With the ST-60 (I'm assuming IR susceptibility would be similar to the S60) you had, can I maintain these viewing habits without concern?  I don't want to buy a new plasma and have to "babysit" it every day, you know what I mean?

TIA!

post #14 of 20 Old 04-20-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Like you you I have an older Panasonic (PX-60U) that has had 0 issues with stubborn IR.  I can leave ESPN or CNN on all day and there's no visible IR of logos or tickers.  I can stream sources such as Pandora and there may be a ghost image for a minute and it's gone.

With the ST-60 (I'm assuming IR susceptibility would be similar to the S60) you had, can I maintain these viewing habits without concern?  I don't want to buy a new plasma and have to "babysit" it every day, you know what I mean?

TIA!

Well, on the 2013 Panasonics I would leave pixel orbiter ON always (it can make the difference between getting stuck with stubborn IR for weeks or months or longer or not based on what I've read plus a bit of personal experience as well) and definitely not leave the same logo or HUD (or black bars) on all day. I did have to baby my S60 to some extent and stubborn IR was always a real possibility whereas on the Samsung I have about 900 hours on the set and never babied it since 0 hours.
post #15 of 20 Old 04-20-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, the ST60 is very bright and so using max or high contrast settings would make IR worse (or high panel brightness).
post #16 of 20 Old 04-20-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TIA!

The ST60 like some 3D TV's seems to be more prone to IR then the S60. I never babysit my S60 or worry about IR, but I still recommend certain precautions. It's better to be safe then sorry with any PDP. However, as Plasma PZ80u eluded to, I also don't game.

Ian

post #17 of 20 Old 04-20-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Also, the ST60 is very bright and so using max or high contrast settings would make IR worse (or high panel brightness).

Yup.  Good point.  I have a controlled light room environment so I go with a medium panel brightness.

Based on your thoughts on the other thread about static logos, that does concern me.

It's strange to me the older Panasonics (like your PZ80U or my PX-60U) seem more resistant to IR than the newer designs.  Thoughts?

No doubt the 2013's Panasonics offer arguably the best plasma PQ as Panasonic's swansong, but the IR scares me as it is not covered by warranty.

This is why I am looking at the older used high rated Pansonics like the PZ80U you have or even a Samsung like the F5300/5500/8500.

post #18 of 20 Old 04-20-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The ST60 like some 3D TV's seems to be more prone to IR then the S60. I never babysit my S60 or worry about IR, but I still recommend certain precautions. It's better to be safe then sorry with any PDP. However, as Plasma PZ80u eluded to, I also don't game.

Ian

I just want to add that I'm not saying the 2013 Panasonics are terrible with IR, just that the 2013-2014 Samsungs have an edge over them in this respect and so someone in the market for a new PDP should factor this into their decision and realize that viewing habits/picture settings used can help determine how significant of a concern IR will be to them in general.
zgpsh1967 likes this.
post #19 of 20 Old 04-20-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Ian

Ian, thanks for sharing your experience with you S60.  This is my biggest source of confusion with these panels.  I've read thousands of user reviews (really) and some folks have had 0 issues with IT without having to baby their tv.  I mean virtually every channel has a logo or ticker these days (it is nice to see some stations making them more opaque like CBS).  Yet, other folks have used slides, broke them in, used medium brightness, not retained static images for too long, and yet they get IR.  Some even say the Pixel Orbiter and screen wipe may improve it slightly, but not entirely, resulting in the dreaded burn in.  If the warranty covered this, I would a new ST-60 (yes lucked upon one) in a sec, but they clearly don't.   Thoughts??

post #20 of 20 Old 04-20-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just want to add that I'm not saying the 2013 Panasonics are terrible with IR, just that the 2013-2014 Samsungs have an edge over them in this respect and so someone in the market for a new PDP should factor this into their decision and realize that viewing habits/picture settings used can help determine how significant of a concern IR will be to them in general.

Quote:

Ian, thanks for sharing your experience with you S60.  This is my biggest source of confusion with these panels.  I've read thousands of user reviews (really) and some folks have had 0 issues with IT without having to baby their tv.  I mean virtually every channel has a logo or ticker these days (it is nice to see some stations making them more opaque like CBS).  Yet, other folks have used slides, broke them in, used medium brightness, not retained static images for too long, and yet they get IR.  Some even say the Pixel Orbiter and screen wipe may improve it slightly, but not entirely, resulting in the dreaded burn in.  If the warranty covered this, I would a new ST-60 (yes lucked upon one) in a sec, but they clearly don't.   Thoughts??

You also have to consider the fact that every panel is different. Generally speaking, Samsung's experience less IR issues, but it's not a fait accompli. I just finished watching a ball game that went on for 12 innings and lasted over five hours. Despite the sports ticker, there was no noticeable IR on my set when I engaged the screen wash.

Ian

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page