Panasonic 55" TC-P55ST60 floor model or new Samsung 60" PN60F5350AF - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Smaller, Floor Model Panasonic or Larger, New Samsung
Panasonic 55" TC-P55ST60, floor model $750 0 0%
Samsung 60" PN60F5350AF, new $750 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I just had my house broken into and my plasma TV was about the only thing taken of any significant value. That leaves me shopping again for a new TV not much over a year after I spent countless hours doing the same thing.  I've narrowed my choices down to two main contenders, a floor model Panasonic or a new Samsung.

The Panasonic has about 3800 hours at a local Sears, but I couldn't see any permanent IR and the screen looked perfect, only a few fingerprints. No 3D glasses (which is fine by me) and the base does have a few scratches on it.

The Samsung is new at Costco. Both are about $750.

I watch about 25 hours a week of TV, so those hours on the Panasonic equal about 3 of my years. Although, I was at the store when they were closing, and I think they pulled the source of the video and not the power, so maybe some of those hours are just a blank screen. I'm sure they cut power to them at some point, however. I watch a mix of Blu-Rays, over the air TV, and youtube type feed from my computer. I've heard Samsung may do a better job of "upscaling" or making a poor picture look better, which I guess would be a plus. I know the Samsung has the Pentile screen, but it looked good to my eyes. Smart features and 3D have no impact on my decision.

The Sears Panasonic still would have the 1 year factory warranty, and a 30 day return. Costco I think is 90, but I can get their extended warranty on either TV.

Other options include the 51' Samsung for 599.

Thank you all. I've learned so much from these forums over the years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2014, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I bought a floor model Panny, the same 55" that you are looking to buy in Feb. From what I have seen of mine I have not had any problems. I think mine had about 1800 hours. I like mine and I got the 3D glasses.