VIERA TXP50VT65B or SAMSUNG F8500 ? (UK) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 05-01-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

I had to return my 51" F8500 had a number of technical problems with it and they didnt have a replacement in stock or any idea when they will have more inventory so I'm now back on the market for a new TV - Following advice on here I've been trying to find a F8500 for sale in the UK to no avail so I've started looking at other models and found a VIERA TXP50VT65B for £1579.95

Does anyone know a place I could buy a 51" F8500 from in the UK? or is the VIERA TXP50VT65B just as good or could you recommend any other set for that matter?

I'd be using the set for both watching movies and gaming but im restricted to a maximum screen size of 50/51"

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-01-2014, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Any help would be massively appreciated I'm planning on buying my new TV tomorrow (currently without any TV) and I dont have a clue which one to go for ..

I had the F8500 for around a month and loved it so I don't want to compromise on picture quality but I cant find this TV anywhere in the UK

post #3 of 24 Old 05-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeuggy View Post

Any help would be massively appreciated I'm planning on buying my new TV tomorrow (currently without any TV) and I dont have a clue which one to go for ..

I had the F8500 for around a month and loved it so I don't want to compromise on picture quality but I cant find this TV anywhere in the UK

Have you tried any of these:

Samsung Experience Store
125 Oxford Street, London
W1D 4DY

Samsung Experience Store
Unit 1-2 The Avenue Centre Commercial Road, Bournemouth
BH2 5RP

Samsung Experience Store
1 Darley Street, Bradford
BD1 3LB

Also, your local JL should have them or be able to order them.
post #4 of 24 Old 05-01-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
The VT is a fantastic alternative that you are lucky to have as an available option.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-01-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

The VT is a fantastic alternative that you are lucky to have as an available option.

Hey,

Is it as good as the F8500 ? I got the the F8500 for £1500 so the VT is gonna cost £50 more but if its just as good I might get it

post #6 of 24 Old 05-01-2014, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

Have you tried any of these:

Samsung Experience Store
125 Oxford Street, London
W1D 4DY

Samsung Experience Store
Unit 1-2 The Avenue Centre Commercial Road, Bournemouth
BH2 5RP

Samsung Experience Store
1 Darley Street, Bradford
BD1 3LB

Also, your local JL should have them or be able to order them.

I haven't tried any of the Samsung Experience Store no will give them a shot tomorrow , I've just been trowling through google pages

I did try John Lewis though unfortunately they dont have the F8500 either , they only have 1 plasma on the whole site now there getting increasingly difficult to find in the UK

post #7 of 24 Old 05-01-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Hey,

Is it as good as the F8500 ? I got the the F8500 for £1500 so the VT is gonna cost £50 more but if its just as good I might get it
Worse in some ways (dimmer, more stringent ABL), better in others (deeper blacks, better color saturation).
post #8 of 24 Old 05-02-2014, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

So I went and had a look at the VT65B today in richersounds , they were nice enough to stick it in the demo room and played a Bluray on it and I wasnt exactly blown away :(

It did look nice im just not sure if it was as nice as the F8500 (looked alot dimmer , not a very crisp picture) I have a reserve on it untill Monday as it is there last one (ex-display checked for burns) and there are a few other people interested.

I think I may have to go for this one as it appears to be my only option if I want to get a plasma

edit: One other thing I noticed is it looked really reflective , a lot more so then the 8500

post #9 of 24 Old 05-02-2014, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So I went and had a look at the VT65B today in richersounds , they were nice enough to stick it in the demo room and played a Bluray on it and I wasnt exactly blown away frown.gif

It did look nice im just not sure if it was as nice as the F8500 (looked alot dimmer , not a very crisp picture) I have a reserve on it untill Monday as it is there last one (ex-display checked for burns) and there are a few other people interested.

I think I may have to go for this one as it appears to be my only option if I want to get a plasma

edit: One other thing I noticed is it looked really reflective , a lot more so then the 8500

I would have a go of the VT65, if it was me.

I've had a TX-P50GT50B sitting in my lounge room for the past 16 months and I find it's PQ stunning.

That wasn't always the case, however. It needed 3-4 months of run-in and then calibration. That's what made the stunning PQ.

FWIW, my AVR supports dual monitors. Secondary monitor is a relatively inexpensive Samsung 32F5000 LED display that I use for routine viewing to save wear on the GT50. Former is much less reflective than the latter.
post #10 of 24 Old 05-02-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:

So I went and had a look at the VT65B today in richersounds , they were nice enough to stick it in the demo room and played a Bluray on it and I wasnt exactly blown away frown.gif

Yes, it does have an inferior light filter to the F8500. If you desire such, the ZT60 is the only way to get even a better light filter than the F8500. Sounds like you have an affinity towards LCD-type pop, so Panasonic's refined cinematic accuracy may be lost on you.
post #11 of 24 Old 05-02-2014, 11:53 AM

Liked: 179
Quote:

Panasonic's refined cinematic accuracy may be lost on you.

ABL dimming isnt cinematic accuracy or reference.
Light changes made by the Producer is.

the less ABL dimming you have the closer to reference you are.

some just dont get it wink.gif

so go for the F8500 and pump up cell light to 20 and enjoy light changes as they was meant to be seen.
Stu03 likes this.
post #12 of 24 Old 05-02-2014, 12:23 PM

I get it, and I assure you ABL is subtle on everything except commercials with white backgrounds. Some also seem to be inherently more bothered by it than others. Having bought and watched a panel that has similar or even less ABL characteristics than the F8500, I still have no qualms with what the ZT does to the PQ, very cinematic and I'll stand by that to the death.
post #13 of 24 Old 05-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I get it, and I assure you ABL is subtle on everything except commercials with white backgrounds. Some also seem to be inherently more bothered by it than others. Having bought and watched a panel that has similar or even less ABL characteristics than the F8500, I still have no qualms with what the ZT does to the PQ, very cinematic and I'll stand by that to the death.

I have some reservations of ZT60, based upon this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1515499/the-zt60-microfracture-case-log-and-discussion

... I would be nervous if I owned one. I'll stick with my GT50, thank you. tongue.gif
post #14 of 24 Old 05-02-2014, 12:59 PM

6 out of tens (plus a few more in Europe) of thousands is pretty minuscule. In fairness, I'm mentally ready for that 77" OLED to replace my ZT60 (if only the finances matched).
post #15 of 24 Old 05-03-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Why the rush vinnie lol.

Anyway there is good reason (or a few actually ) why i am waiting a few generations (and not just financial) before i grab a large screen OLED.

I just sincerely hope they make it that far tbh.
post #16 of 24 Old 05-03-2014, 02:26 PM

Hi

I own the 50vt65 uk model and let me tell you it's amazing. It'll not be as bright as the Samsung but colour accuracy and black levels are better.
I also much prefer the design of the Panasonic and the build quality is excellent.smile.gif
Get one while you still can, if not you'll have to put up with an led model.tongue.gif
post #17 of 24 Old 05-03-2014, 06:27 PM

Well, you answered your question in the latter part of your post, Stu. wink.gif Time being of the essence and all due to a shaky future based on a questionable foundation.
post #18 of 24 Old 05-03-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Well, you answered your question in the latter part of your post, Stu. wink.gif Time being of the essence and all due to a shaky future based on a questionable foundation.

Yep - i guess i did vinnie - lol - biggrin.gif

Presumably we are all waiting on Samsung joining the OLED game properly. As much as i hate to admit it. I can't see LG alone sustaining the OLED drive all by themselves as competition is a healthy thing. As people/consumers are notorious for becoming bored - and fast.

And then LED/LCD will seize the opportunity once again and we really are back to square one.

I wonder if Sony's fabled but no one really knows much about (well not us mere mortals anyway tongue.gif ) Crystal LED will ever see the light of day.

Looking unlikely considering the financial state of the Sony display division especially atm
post #19 of 24 Old 05-04-2014, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert81 View Post

Hi

I own the 50vt65 uk model and let me tell you it's amazing. It'll not be as bright as the Samsung but colour accuracy and black levels are better.
I also much prefer the design of the Panasonic and the build quality is excellent.smile.gif
Get one while you still can, if not you'll have to put up with an led model.tongue.gif

I'm going down tomorrow to either buy it or choose something else, going to give it one last look over.

It's a difficult decision to make because all everyone keeps saying is the black levels are good , if it shows blacks as good as my previous 2 samsung plasmas then that's fine but I never considered that an issue.

I'll be watching the TV in normal family viewing environment quite well lit not a man-cave so that's why the highly reflective (at least in the shop) screen was putting me off - this coupled with the fact it is a lot dimmer then the F8500 is making me worry that it will make for bad viewing during the day and even worse 3D viewing with the active shutter glasses.

I would have the F8500 on cell light 16/17 - 80 contrast so I never liked the over-processed look LED's give but just need to make sure this is the right TV for my needs

So aside from the technical positives, is it a practical TV - good for gaming / 3D / tv ect. Being that it is ex-display is there anything I should be checking for other then burn-ins? I asked if it had a screenwiper/scrollbar feature and he looked at me puzzled , he let me play with the settings and put it on (would this worry you that they have never ran it , or is that a good thing)

post #20 of 24 Old 05-05-2014, 02:35 AM

Mine is in a very bright room and the tv copes with ambient light very well. I use pro one with gamma set at 2.2 for day viewing and it's as bright as an led set up correctly. I had the Samsung 55 6740 before this and the Plasma is actually better during the day thanks to the fantastic filter. I cannot comment on gaming as I use my pc for that. I can honestly say this is the best tv I have ever owned and I have owned Samsung plasmas as well as the led I mentioned. It really doesn't have any obvious flaws and to me that's what's important.

Viewing this tv you are immersed in the picture not worrying about ambient light set up to combat poor blacks. Fast movement doesn't show banding and the colour and depth of field are outstanding. I'd go as far to say it's better than the Kuro I left at my mothers house when I moved out a few years back.
post #21 of 24 Old 05-05-2014, 02:42 AM

Yes it does have a scroll bar feature, I've never had the need to use it even after watching 4.3 material. 3D you mentioned is very good in a dark environment but it's more of a gimmick to me. Being an ex display I'd be checking for cosmetic damage.
post #22 of 24 Old 05-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I would pick the VT65, one thing you have to remember thes two set's are pretty much equal when it comes to picture quality., The F8500 won in the shoot out because of it's Day Mode light output. It gets really bright, for brightrooms this would be a plus. On the negative side the blacks when you set it to Dark Room, get darker but they fluctuate , or strobe, becoming lighter then darker. This is very visible especially in dark scenes , low contrast . It can be bothersome. I had a Samsung D6500 plasma that did this and I found it irritating. I know have a ST60 which has no fluctuating blacks, I calibrated it myself. Like I said way the positives againsts the negatives and see whic one will benefit your needs the best.
post #23 of 24 Old 05-07-2014, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone , I ended up getting the VT65 and I'm loving it so far.

One massive plus over the F8500 has been that its near silent , the 8500 exerted really bad buzzing which I just couldnt get used to.

Its taking some tinkering with the settings though to get a decent picture on my PS4 , the blacks are so dark that they kind of blend into one another so you lose detail. Overall I'm really satisfied so cheers for the advice fellas

post #24 of 24 Old 05-07-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:

Thanks for the advice everyone , I ended up getting the VT65 and I'm loving it so far.

One massive plus over the F8500 has been that its near silent , the 8500 exerted really bad buzzing which I just couldnt get used to.

Its taking some tinkering with the settings though to get a decent picture on my PS4 , the blacks are so dark that they kind of blend into one another so you lose detail. Overall I'm really satisfied so cheers for the advice fellas
Your VT65 is known for it's superb ability to show shadow detail. If your blacks are blending into each other then your settings are off. Deep blacks do not mean no details.Your VT65 will have deeper blacks then almost any other TV out there besides some Kuro's and OLED but will best every other TV in shadow detail.

Try raising your brightness level which actually is the black level. Setting it to low will crush blacks. Also, make sure things like vivid color or any other artificial enhancements are turned off.

You might want to get the Disney WOW disc or some other disc that has test pattern to correctly set your black level and contrast levels correctly.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page