Samsung PN60F5300 vs. LG 60PB6900 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-16-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18

I'm in a dilemma now both tvs are around the same price.  I'm interested in black levels and vivid picture.  I know last years LG models suffered form poor black levels, but how does this years model compare?  I have seen no reviews on the new LG plasmas.  The LG does have 3d and built in wifi which is a pro.  Which one would you go with?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-17-2014, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, three months is a long time for a reply, but Consumer Reports rated the LG 60PB6900 the highest of any TV - 75/100, tied with the Samsung PN60F8500. The difference: the cheapest you can find the Samsung is $1,645 from East Coast TVs ($2,399.98 at Best Buy), while the LG is available from BuyDig for $839.00 ($1,149 at Best Buy). They rated the Samsung PN60F5300 63/100.

I just bought the LG from BuyDig, so I suppose i'll give it a review when I get it!
post #3 of 16 Old 08-17-2014, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Pb6900 is 699 at Frys
post #4 of 16 Old 08-18-2014, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButcherBlock View Post
Well, three months is a long time for a reply, but Consumer Reports rated the LG 60PB6900 the highest of any TV - 75/100, tied with the Samsung PN60F8500. The difference: the cheapest you can find the Samsung is $1,645 from East Coast TVs ($2,399.98 at Best Buy), while the LG is available from BuyDig for $839.00 ($1,149 at Best Buy). They rated the Samsung PN60F5300 63/100.

I just bought the LG from BuyDig, so I suppose i'll give it a review when I get it!
I wouldn't take anything they had to say seriously then.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-18-2014, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
This.

That being said, the comparison is with the 60F5300. For the same price, the LG is an attractive set if you care about 3D (although active 3D is known to be fatiguing and extra glasses can end up being costly) and Smart TV features (which again you can compensate for with a $30-$40 chromecast/roku). In terms of black levels, the Samsung is definitely superior. Both Samsung and LG sets can be tweaked via voltage settings after opening the back panel to reduce black levels (AVS forum posts for both sets are easily findable via google). Samsung still holds the edge in that department. The other thing that should be attractive for the LG set is that because it is a 3D set, the peak brightness even in 2D, daytime watching should be brighter than the Samsung and that would be much nicer for day time viewing. On the flip side, the LG panels have double glass panes at the front unlike the Samsung that has a single glass pane. This makes the LG even more reflective when it comes to glare compared to the Samsung (which is pretty reflective to begin with). LG is supposed to have more black level detail than the Samsung though I haven't compared head to head so I can't confirm/deny that claim.

It's a pretty tough call at the same price point. For a dumb TV with great PQ, I'd still get the Samsung, but only if you can easily return/swap it due to the pink tint issue that seems to affect most F5300 panels.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-18-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtaub View Post
Pb6900 is 699 at Frys
Thanks man! I appreciate the heads up, I managed to cancel my BuyDig order, now i'm headed to Fry's to pick up the set! In California, there's a $5.00 monitor recycling fee, and of course local tax (BuyDig is tax-free), but the total of $766.91 is still an amazing deal, plus no waiting.
dmtaub likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-18-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
This.

That being said, the comparison is with the 60F5300. For the same price, the LG is an attractive set if you care about 3D (although active 3D is known to be fatiguing and extra glasses can end up being costly) and Smart TV features (which again you can compensate for with a $30-$40 chromecast/roku). In terms of black levels, the Samsung is definitely superior. Both Samsung and LG sets can be tweaked via voltage settings after opening the back panel to reduce black levels (AVS forum posts for both sets are easily findable via google). Samsung still holds the edge in that department. The other thing that should be attractive for the LG set is that because it is a 3D set, the peak brightness even in 2D, daytime watching should be brighter than the Samsung and that would be much nicer for day time viewing. On the flip side, the LG panels have double glass panes at the front unlike the Samsung that has a single glass pane. This makes the LG even more reflective when it comes to glare compared to the Samsung (which is pretty reflective to begin with). LG is supposed to have more black level detail than the Samsung though I haven't compared head to head so I can't confirm/deny that claim.

It's a pretty tough call at the same price point. For a dumb TV with great PQ, I'd still get the Samsung, but only if you can easily return/swap it due to the pink tint issue that seems to affect most F5300 panels.
To be clear, Consumer Reports gives their grade based on several categories (HD Picture Quality, 3D Performance, Viewing Angle, Motion Blur, Sound Quality, First Time Setup, Everyday Use, and Versatility), so the final score isn't actually saying that the actual picture quality of the 6900 matches the Sammy 8500.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (54).png
Views:	116
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	218097  
post #8 of 16 Old 08-18-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButcherBlock View Post
Thanks man! I appreciate the heads up, I managed to cancel my BuyDig order, now i'm headed to Fry's to pick up the set! In California, there's a $5.00 monitor recycling fee, and of course local tax (BuyDig is tax-free), but the total of $766.91 is still an amazing deal, plus no waiting.
No problem. A bit bummed since that is the same price I paid for my PB6600, but I really did not need the 3d. I'm very happy with the set and I think you will be too!
post #9 of 16 Old 08-18-2014, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How is LG's gaming performance as far as input lag? I wanted the Samsung, but it's Pentile display turned me off.. I could see it if I got closer than 8ft. :bummer:

HD DVD [R.I.P. 02/19/08] :(
Blu-Ray: 900+

post #10 of 16 Old 08-18-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saginawjuggalo View Post
How is LG's gaming performance as far as input lag? I wanted the Samsung, but it's Pentile display turned me off.. I could see it if I got closer than 8ft. :bummer:
I believe it is 56ms in game mode. Check the LG thread. Someone posted the numbers in there.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-01-2014, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I find the price on the LG 6650/6900 very tempting. I have a 7 year old Samsung LED- DLP tv which while still working has had some problems so I am looking for a new tv. I have never owned a plasma tv. My concern is the brightness of a plasma. The room I will put it in has blinds so there is not a lot of light coming into the room. I also watch most of my tv between 6:00pm and 12:00pm. However, I feel the tv I have is bright which I like. In the settings owners of this set suggested turning off the DNIe control, but I left it on since it made the picture a little brighter. For the same reason I never used the movie mode. I rarely go to a movie theater, but when I do I feel that most of the indoor scenes are too dark. So my question is will I be happy with this LG tv?

Thanks,
John

Last edited by stans39; 09-01-2014 at 02:39 PM.
post #12 of 16 Old 09-01-2014, 03:24 PM

Liked: 0
Do the LG plasmas have any of the pink tint problems that the Samsungs seem to have? After doing some reading on here I find it interesting how plasma owners seem intolerable of the uniformity problems of LED TVs yet continue to say a plasma like the F5300 has great picture quality even though it has it's own uniformity issues. There seems to be a number of complaints about DSE as well.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-01-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBru View Post
Do the LG plasmas have any of the pink tint problems that the Samsungs seem to have? After doing some reading on here I find it interesting how plasma owners seem intolerable of the uniformity problems of LED TVs yet continue to say a plasma like the F5300 has great picture quality even though it has it's own uniformity issues. There seems to be a number of complaints about DSE as well.
No, there is no pink tint issue. That seems to be contained to the B series 60" F5300 because it is pentile. It does not affect the 51" or 64". I am not sure about the H5000, as that is a pentile display as well.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
To add to dmtaub's response, LED non uniformity is wayy worse and more jarring to viewing experience compared to any issues listed by you. Even in the case of pink tint - It is only really noticeable on full white scenes and rarely noticeable on 99% of regular content. In addition, pink tint is not the norm, and panels can be purchased which don't have the issue, unlike LCD tvs which have inherent issues with the technology preventing them to achieve panel uniformity. No amount of improvements with FALD can still get rid of haloing/blooming, etc. DSE is also an issue on a case by case basis and is not broadly affecting all panels. Moreover, as mentioned above, DSE like the pink tint issue only comes into play in very specific types of scenes.

OTOH, non-uniform black levels and flashlighting, etc pretty much impact all movies that have any dark scenes (most movies) and there is nothing that you can do to avoid it. The completely uniform blacks on plasma coupled with viewing angles totally makes up for any of the other minor issues...which again are not something you are bound to have on your plasma as they are defects on specific panels (and you can trade the TV in for an exchange if you are affected by the issue).

LCD tvs certainly have their advantages over Plasma and can be the better option for certain situations, but there is no way one can compare any non-uniformity issues you pointed out on Plasmas as being equivalent to issues on LCD sets.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-05-2014, 10:43 AM

Liked: 0
I'm trying to decide if the the F5300 or F5500 (both are the same price right now where I live) is worth $200 more than the PB6600. If the LG's black levels couldn't me tweaked it would be an easy decision but now I'm confused. Reviews for LG plasmas seem to be all over the place while the Samsungs are more consistent. I'm not convinced the double glass pane on the LG makes it more reflective than the Samsung since Cnet mentioned the F5500 being worse than the PH6700 in a lighted room.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-05-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
...Reviews for LG plasmas seem to be all over the place while the Samsungs are more consistent...
As a new LG plasma owner, perhaps I can comment.

Samsung has had a reputation for high quality plasma TVs for some time. LG did not. If LG made changes, perhaps as simple as tweaking set points, that close that gap, you'd see wide variation in subsequent reviews, as new product filtered into the market.

I just got a PB6900 and I see no issues with black levels and shadow detail. I'm seeing 10,000:1 in high contrast images.

Have fun,
Frank
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - PN60F5300 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page