PN64F8500 break-in help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2014, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Arrived yesterday, hooked an ota attenna,sammy tuner located 22 dtv signals.smile.gif

I'm leaving it ON in standard picture mode with sliders set at 50%, pixel shift at 5min. It has v.1119 fw. I noticed after about 20 hours some noticeable heat right above and slightly towards the center (4" or so) the
HDMI connection row..seems to be the mainboard location but I'm felling the heat rising to the big vents.

Anyway, how can I get to the service menu?

Need to check temps and also total time on unit since it was an OBox at BB. It seems to be very stable and holding with neutral settings (fingers crossed) at 20> hrs.

Can I test 3d a BR player?

Any and all info will be read and appreciated. BTW..I'll move on to the forums suggested settings and I still have my DVD test from the beautiful 58"
panny.

-Netrat-
Duck Tape Engineering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2139 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Mute 7-3-7 will get you to see the hours. Not sure why your asking about testing a 3D player? Watch what you want just vary the content you watch. Most of these questions have been answered more than once in the 2 main F8500 threads. If you post there you'll get owners responses much more quickly as some only watch those threads and not these individual ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2014, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Mute 7-3-7 will get you to see the hours. Not sure why your asking about testing a 3D player? Watch what you want just vary the content you watch. Most of these questions have been answered more than once in the 2 main F8500 threads. If you post there you'll get owners responses much more quickly as some only watch those threads and not these individual ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree..made a mistake posting to the wrong group but was in a hurry since the panel is not where I'm living and needed help/advise/suggestions with a few things. I'll repost properly later but I'll keep an eye on this thread. I well remember the old threads discussing the care and training of the great plasma's..well worth doing it properly. btw..I'm a noob to 3d. smile.gif

-Netrat-
Duck Tape Engineering
Old 06-09-2014, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1278
you can try viewing some SBS(side by side) 3D videos if you just want to get an idea of the 3D performance. it's not technically as good as a 'full' 3D bluray, but it works, and you should be able to find examples of it on youtube even.

I wouldn't bother with leaving the settings at 50. no point in doing that, and no way it looks as good as it should. plug in one of the calibrations from the calibration thread, or do your own basic one with a test disc and use that for awhile.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

you can try viewing some SBS(side by side) 3D videos if you just want to get an idea of the 3D performance. it's not technically as good as a 'full' 3D bluray, but it works, and you should be able to find examples of it on youtube even.

I wouldn't bother with leaving the settings at 50. no point in doing that, and no way it looks as good as it should. plug in one of the calibrations from the calibration thread, or do your own basic one with a test disc and use that for awhile.

You don't think *conditioning the plasma the first 100 hours applies any longer?

-Netrat-
Duck Tape Engineering
Old 06-09-2014, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netrat View Post

You don't think *conditioning the plasma the first 100 hours applies any longer?

no, and I don't think it ever required you to use 'low' settings, just calibrated ones. I believe the only real danger is if using settings higher than what a calibrated image would be.

I have a feeling the whole '100hour break in' thing was created just calm customers that would otherwise freak out by minor IR and return their TV's.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Old 06-09-2014, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:

For the first 100 hours I would not max out cell light and keep contrast at 90 or lower. The reason is that this tv generates a lot of heat during the first 100 hours. Both the panel and the boards. The back of the tv gets really hot, and the panel temperature will easily get to 43C. That much heat can shorten the life of a tv. The Samsung has no fans, relying on heat sinks to dissipate the heat. After 100 hours, the tv should settle down and heat will not be as big of an issue. The back of the tv will still get quite hot, so make sure you have enough room behind tv so that heat sinks can work properly.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

For the first 100 hours I would not max out cell light and keep contrast at 90 or lower. The reason is that this tv generates a lot of heat during the first 100 hours. Both the panel and the boards. The back of the tv gets really hot, and the panel temperature will easily get to 43C. That much heat can shorten the life of a tv. The Samsung has no fans, relying on heat sinks to dissipate the heat. After 100 hours, the tv should settle down and heat will not be as big of an issue. The back of the tv will still get quite hot, so make sure you have enough room behind tv so that heat sinks can work properly.

That surely eliminates most of the factory default picture settings for now. I'll locate a calibration tool or at least try a few avs guru settings smile.gif

My wonderful 58 Panasonic has several quality quiet fans with sensors and I still don't feel any heat spots after all these years (06) although the complete unit can eat up 750 WATTS..it can heat a room smile.gif ..but I don't see it having problems reaching 100,000+ hours.

Now, I'm alittle concerned with heat sink idea on this PN64F8500..it gets quite hot near that mainboard when I feel around the back which imo is never good. A nice fan setup might be in order..a few here are doing this me thinks. thx

-Netrat-
Duck Tape Engineering
Old 06-10-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That surely eliminates most of the factory default picture settings for now. I'll locate a calibration tool or at least try a few avs guru settings smile.gif

My wonderful 58 Panasonic has several quality quiet fans with sensors and I still don't feel any heat spots after all these years (06) although the complete unit can eat up 750 WATTS..it can heat a room smile.gif ..but I don't see it having problems reaching 100,000+ hours.

Now, I'm alittle concerned with heat sink idea on this PN64F8500..it gets quite hot near that mainboard when I feel around the back which imo is never good. A nice fan setup might be in order..a few here are doing this me thinks. thx

I have one fan on the back of tv. The left side above the HDMI ports. Its a usb fan with the air blowing away from tv, not into it. The only issue with fans is the potential of accelerated dust collection inside of tv. As warm air is pulled out of the top, cooler air and dust come into the bottom vents. You would still get that without a fan, as the warm air naturally rises and brings in air through bottom vent. The other issue I am concerned about with the fans, is will it mess up the internal sensors. But I would think the heat is the greatest threat. Samsung probably feels the tvs will last through the warranty period, but after that they dont care if heat destroys the boards.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Netrat

I have one fan on the back of tv. The left side above the HDMI ports. Its a usb fan with the air blowing away from tv, not into it. The only issue with fans is the potential of accelerated dust collection inside of tv. As warm air is pulled out of the top, cooler air and dust come into the bottom vents. You would still get that without a fan, as the warm air naturally rises and brings in air through bottom vent. The other issue I am concerned about with the fans, is will it mess up the internal sensors. But I would think the heat is the greatest threat. Samsung probably feels the tvs will last through the warranty period, but after that they dont care if heat destroys the boards.

I hope other owners will respect this heat issue, I mean would you not want cooling air in a pc...even a LT needs to move air, tabs don't have the Hp anyway and me thinks your correct, SamS has built-in heat degradation, you will shorten this plasma's life simply be the way it's built plus it also cheaper for sammy to build them this way, if we plan on owning one of these more then a couple of years it'll need to run cooler..thanks for the headsup on the usb fan.

-Netrat-
Duck Tape Engineering

Last edited by Netrat; 06-23-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spel'nstuff
Old 06-23-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netrat View Post
I hope other owners will respect this heat issue, I mean would you not want cooling air in a pc...even a LT needs to move air, tabs don't have the Hp anyway and me thinks your correct, SamS has built-in heat degradation, you will shorten this plasma's life simply be the way it's built plus it also cheaper for sammy to build them this way, if we plan on owning one of these more then a couple of years it'll need to run cooler..thanks for the headsup on the usb fan.
I did a test with fan on and off for 2 hours and then checked the panel tempture using "mute 7 3 7 enter" on remote. After 2 hours, without the fan, the panel temperature was 41 to 42 degrees C. With the fan on, 37 to 38 degrees C, or a difference of around 7 degrees F. I would imagine the internal temperatures were even cooler.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

wxman, which fan are you using. I s'pose the back can come off then drill holes over the suspected area would be the best but... using the vent is getting results as you show. thanks

-Netrat-
Duck Tape Engineering
Old 06-23-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netrat View Post
wxman, which fan are you using. I s'pose the back can come off then drill holes over the suspected area would be the best but... using the vent is getting results as you show. thanks
This is a fan I bought. I use a twist tie to attach it to the back near the top vent. I also use the bottom usb port which I believe is the 3A one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1