Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-12-2014, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pioneer MR, lockout, fans, and tuner

I could not fix my 503 CMX power supply, thanks to Pioneer refusing to give me a schematic for it, so I found a PDP 505 for $250 on Craigslist, and I'm happy with it. Its the one with the external media receiver, which I discovered is loud and read about that issue here too. I removed the cover and cleaned it out, and went to plug it back in before putting the lid back on to test it, I did not realize there is an interlock switch. I depressed the switch with my finger and it still would not come out of standby. I bypassed the switch all together thinking it may have been malfunctioning, and still nothing! I came to find out through Googling it has a "LOCK OUT" mode when the power is applied with the interlock open. Holy heck. Luckily I happened to stumble across the hidden procedure of 8 remote button presses for entering the service menu and resetting it. I ever meet the engineer who designed that "feature" I would like to punch him in the face. I thought I broke it. I've never seen something so absurd. Even the transmitters at work, which actually have lethal voltages, don't do that when the interlock is open.

Anyway, I was wondering if, since most of the heat seems to be generated in that tuner section, and I'm only using a single HDMI input on it, can I disconnect the power to the tuner section so I can then turn the fan to low speed without worrying about frying something? I could ask Pioneer but it seems hard to actually get a hold of a engineer over there, just people who answer emails without any real information.

bob z

Ramblings of a TV News Chaser:
www.tvuplink.net/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-13-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Can you access the service menu, i am wondering if there is a way to disable the tuner in there firstly - even temporarily as an experiment.

I did it on a my 500A as an experiment but it was only disabled until it was powered off (plug out) at the wall. It was disabled until then though even after going to standby. Don't have to worry now about that as i have a Pioneer monitor nowadays. But if i had worked out a way to disable it permanently i would have done as i had an external broadcast recorder and didn't want anything "extra" that i didn't require if i remember rightly. Anything that unnecessarily attracts and spreads RFI and 'especially' EMI in and out of the system is a nono in my book if it can be possibly helped.

:EDIT:

Don't know if you have already... But i'm going to see if i can get hold of a service manual for that model and see what the score is

Last edited by Stu03; 06-13-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page