found open box Panasonic VT50 - AVS Forum
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > found open box Panasonic VT50
RichManofAction's Avatar RichManofAction 06:40 AM 06-14-2014
Hey all...I found an open box Panasonic VT50 near me from June 2012 for around $1,000. Is it worth pulling the trigger for the 55"er? I currently have a Samsung LED at 46".

fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt 12:30 AM 06-16-2014
what's the return policy? you have to assume there's a reason it's there still. would be unfortunate to bring it home and find out it's a display model with terrible IR or something.

at the very least, I'd want to see it hooked up and playing something at the store before taking it home. if it's in good shape though, 1000bux won't buy you anything better
RichManofAction's Avatar RichManofAction 01:58 PM 06-18-2014
Thanks for the response - turns out the screen was scratched...The picture looked great still, but for $1000 I couldn't do it. I am wondering if it's worth waiting for the F8500 to come down in price or just pick up a F5350 from Costco.
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt 10:53 PM 06-18-2014
my old hitachi CRT RPTV had a scratch on its screen, it bothered me a bit, but nowhere near as much as the terrible picture quality i got when i tried to replace it...

depending on how bad that scratch is, and WHERE the scratch is, that still might be a sweet deal for only 1000bux.

i doubt very much the f8500 will drop in price, they are selling as fast as they are making them it seems. unless production continues for a couple more years, it's more likely that demand for them will outlast production. so you won't see any clearance sales on them.

the 5series Samsung seems to be a popular option, but it wont match the vt50. so how bad is that scratch really? did they point it out to you or did you notice it immediately? is it something you can look past, or will you constantly be staring at it now that you know it's there?
RichManofAction's Avatar RichManofAction 06:54 AM 06-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
my old hitachi CRT RPTV had a scratch on its screen, it bothered me a bit, but nowhere near as much as the terrible picture quality i got when i tried to replace it...

depending on how bad that scratch is, and WHERE the scratch is, that still might be a sweet deal for only 1000bux.

i doubt very much the f8500 will drop in price, they are selling as fast as they are making them it seems. unless production continues for a couple more years, it's more likely that demand for them will outlast production. so you won't see any clearance sales on them.

the 5series Samsung seems to be a popular option, but it wont match the vt50. so how bad is that scratch really? did they point it out to you or did you notice it immediately? is it something you can look past, or will you constantly be staring at it now that you know it's there?
It was one across the Veira logo, and about five down the right side of the screen. I was pretty disappointed because I got my current LED at 50% off from this place in perfect condition.

I am debating my options now in another thread. I love TV shopping. What a nice problem to have!
turnne1's Avatar turnne1 06:54 PM 06-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichManofAction View Post
Thanks for the response - turns out the screen was scratched...The picture looked great still, but for $1000 I couldn't do it. I am wondering if it's worth waiting for the F8500 to come down in price or just pick up a F5350 from Costco.
I would run from that deal

To give you an idea of how cheap the ST series have gotten on clearance as open box models

I bought a 50"ST50 a year ago for $339

I bought a 60"ST60 two months ago for $424

Both open box units at Sears...the ST50 was a customer return...the ST60 had been the store display

With the exception of the 2 pairs of 3D glasses being MIA with the ST60...both TVs had all the accessories and paperwork included and work flawlessly

Warren
tubetwister's Avatar tubetwister 09:28 PM 06-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
I would run from that deal

To give you an idea of how cheap the ST series have gotten on clearance as open box models

I bought a 50"ST50 a year ago for $339

I bought a 60"ST60 two months ago for $424

Both open box units at Sears...the ST50 was a customer return...the ST60 had been the store display

With the exception of the 2 pairs of 3D glasses being MIA with the ST60...both TVs had all the accessories and paperwork included and work flawlessly

Warren
Did you run out of the store like you stole them ?............ probably not they are hard to carry
turnne1's Avatar turnne1 04:07 AM 06-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Did you run out of the store like you stole them ?............ probably not they are hard to carry
actually walked out with a big smile

Warren
iatureversi 07:02 AM 06-26-2014
yeah,It was one across the Veira logo, and about five down the right side of the screen. [IMG]http://*******/xGWw1O[/IMG]I was pretty disappointed because I got my current LED at 50% off from this place in perfect condition.thanks
Tags: Panasonic , plasma , vt50
Up
Mobile  Desktop