post #721 of 954 Old 06-28-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
motion interpolation (if you like that sort of thing)
Don't both sets have the same 24p@96hz output? Why would you want to turn motion interpolation on? That's a feature that was created to fix lcd motion flaws. Using it on a plasma is just wrong.
tubetwister likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 954 Old 06-28-2014, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 2038
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Don't both sets have the same 24p@96hz output? Why would you want to turn motion interpolation on? That's a feature that was created to fix lcd motion flaws. Using it on a plasma is just wrong.
Some people like it, believe it or not. But yeah...
tubetwister likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #723 of 954 Old 06-28-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 686
yeah. I know a lot of ppl that have gotten used to the FI stuff, and now prefer it. my plasma has it, I can get as soap opera-y as any LCD if needed.

but, I still wouldn't put them on par in this regard. I actually do find a little bit of dejudder to be a good thing, but with the plasma my choices are OFF/TOO HIGH/WAY TOO HIGH and that's it. with the lcd I have in my bedroom(same brand, Samsung) I have a 0-10 control on dejudder and smoothing individually. I think I have it set at something like 2 for dejudder and 0 for smoothing and it's basically on par with my plasma. with a setting of 3-4 for dejudder, and 1 for smoothing, it's actually a bit nicer than the plasma without looking like a soap opera.

the processing is a bandaid fix to an lcd problem. but plasma's aren't exactly perfect either, so I wouldn't mind they use a bandaid too...
post #724 of 954 Old 06-28-2014, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Funny that the Vizio E series was brought up in this thread. I bought a new E600i-B3 about a week ago. I just could not get to to produce a picture I was happy enough with. I found a PN60E7000 and picked that up. After comparing a the E7000 next to the vizio, the decision was easy. The Vizio went back to Best Buy tonight.
imagic likes this.
post #725 of 954 Old 06-28-2014, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My pn60f5300 delivers the best pq during the day in standard mode with the blinds closed and sunlight bleeding through. It has great depth, almost too much, for movies anyway, and nice accurate color. At night the colors seem oversaturated even in movie mode, which I'm not fan of. I tried to recreate the natural lighting with different lamps and bulbs, but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.
post #726 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonkennedy View Post
My pn60f5300 delivers the best pq during the day in standard mode with the blinds closed and sunlight bleeding through. It has great depth, almost too much, for movies anyway, and nice accurate color. At night the colors seem oversaturated even in movie mode, which I'm not fan of. I tried to recreate the natural lighting with different lamps and bulbs, but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.
You may want to take a look at this thread and try some of these settings...

Samsung PN60F5300 calibration settings?
post #727 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Nice to read about your plasma journey, Mark. The F8500 is a great set and I'm sure you'll never regret slumming it for a while to get one.

I've been thinking about getting a new 4K LCD as my main TV, but I've been watching a good deal of BDs lately on my ZT... and I can't imagine ANY TV, 4k or not, really giving me a better image than what I'm already seeing. It's truly breathtaking...the organic look a phosphor-based display can provide; something that can't be measured or quantified in a review.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #728 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDust View Post
Funny that the Vizio E series was brought up in this thread. I bought a new E600i-B3 about a week ago. I just could not get to to produce a picture I was happy enough with. I found a PN60E7000 and picked that up. After comparing a the E7000 next to the vizio, the decision was easy. The Vizio went back to Best Buy tonight.
The E7000 has a great picture. No doubt I would take that over an E series Vizio. I would take it over almost any LED. I owned that TV but got it got replaced under warranty. Long story but if it did not have the issue it had, it was a floor model and already had the issue when I purchased it I would still own that TV.

I liked the cinematic picture that TV produced.
post #729 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
yeah. I know a lot of ppl that have gotten used to the FI stuff, and now prefer it. my plasma has it, I can get as soap opera-y as any LCD if needed.

but, I still wouldn't put them on par in this regard. I actually do find a little bit of dejudder to be a good thing, but with the plasma my choices are OFF/TOO HIGH/WAY TOO HIGH and that's it. with the lcd I have in my bedroom(same brand, Samsung) I have a 0-10 control on dejudder and smoothing individually. I think I have it set at something like 2 for dejudder and 0 for smoothing and it's basically on par with my plasma. with a setting of 3-4 for dejudder, and 1 for smoothing, it's actually a bit nicer than the plasma without looking like a soap opera.

the processing is a bandaid fix to an lcd problem. but plasma's aren't exactly perfect either, so I wouldn't mind they use a bandaid too...
The judder in a plasma is exactly the same 60hz judder we've seen in film content on CRTs since the dawn of television. Call me old school, but plasma is the closest thing to an HD CRT you can get. Anything that changes that just doesnt look right to me. Its one of the many reasons I chose plasma over LCD.
mailiang, gus738 and tubetwister like this.
post #730 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I agree,plasma does indeed look crt like.I enjoy that look.
post #731 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:

I disagree. What you're perceiving with the plasma as poor motion is probably as close to the original 24 or 30 frame image as you can get. I think your plasma is probably being very 'honest' to the source-- not unlike how a quality set of speakers will reveal flaws in a recording.
mailiang and tubetwister like this.
post #732 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh128 View Post
The judder in a plasma is exactly the same 60hz judder we've seen in film content on CRTs since the dawn of television. Call me old school, but plasma is the closest thing to an HD CRT you can get. Anything that changes that just doesnt look right to me. Its one of the many reasons I chose plasma over LCD.
If a plasma is displaying 24Hz content at 96Hz (or some other multiple of 24) there should be no judder (as in 3:2 cadence judder) which is unlike a 60Hz CRT or plasma.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #733 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
Nice to read about your plasma journey, Mark. The F8500 is a great set and I'm sure you'll never regret slumming it for a while to get one.

I've been thinking about getting a new 4K LCD as my main TV, but I've been watching a good deal of BDs lately on my ZT... and I can't imagine ANY TV, 4k or not, really giving me a better image than what I'm already seeing. It's truly breathtaking...the organic look a phosphor-based display can provide; something that can't be measured or quantified in a review.
The only replacement that will satisfy you with an arguably better image, as far as I'm concerned, is an OLED of equivalent or greater size. I would keep sitting pretty with the ZT if I were you (I'm not giving up mine yet, in spite of having a smaller OLED in the adjacent bedroom).
tubetwister likes this.
post #734 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am excepting a $75-100 price drop at Best Buy for the Samsung PN60F5300A over July 4 weekend. Anybody have any idea how much the PN51F8500 may be marked down from past sale history.
post #735 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
The only replacement that will satisfy you with an arguably better image, as far as I'm concerned, is an OLED of equivalent or greater size. I would keep sitting pretty with the ZT if I were you (I'm not giving up mine yet, in spite of having a smaller OLED in the adjacent bedroom).
I'm already feeling really damned spoiled by the F8500. I can now see—with great clarity—the dilemma of the reference plasma owner. That OLED you refer to—it'll have to be flat for me to truly love it. But I agree... that's what it'll take.

post #736 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
^Conversely, I can see the desire to want something that can pump out more brightness when not in a dedicated, light controlled room! With the gluttony of content to watch and folks actually viewing in the daytime/daylight for various reasons, it seems OLED will be a good fill-in for both dedicated and nondedicated rooms.
tubetwister likes this.
post #737 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can now see—with great clarity—the dilemma of the reference plasma owner.
Mark-- welcome to the club.

In all seriousness: happy you have an F8500 now as the reviews and observations you'll be making on these new and exciting displays will be with the knowledge of where a lot of us plasma owners are coming from.
post #738 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 11:27 AM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Back to the Samsung F5300 for a sec (for those who may still be interested ).

I spent some more time yesterday looking at the uniformity of the F5300s at a different store with darker overhead lighting, and both the 51" and 60" displays appeared to be slightly brighter and also "cooler" (ie more blue-red) at the bottom of the screen than at the top.

There appeared to be a very diffuse hot spot centered at the bottom of the screen on both displays, so maybe that's where the panels connect to the power supplies. And perhaps the voltages are running a little higher in that area as a result.

That raises an interesting calibration question btw... If there's a difference in color and brightness at the top and bottom of the screen, then do you adjust the white/gray balance so it's more accurate in the middle of the screen, or at the top, or bottom? Before answering that question though, I think you'd also have to look at the balance near black on different parts of the screen, to see which way the shadow detail might be skewing.

My guess is that all of the F5300s and and F4500s have this "hot spot" feature to some degree. It's probably a little more noticeable on the larger displays though because the pixels at the top of the screen (esp. the top corners) are farther away from the supply of power at the bottom, and not receiving quite as much "juice", and hence somewhat darker. That's my theory anyway.

Tinkering with the voltages might help a little. But I have some doubts about whether it would make a really noticeable improvement, because it looks like this is probably a characteristic of the displays' design, and power supply. And my guess is that Mark's 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th... F5300 panels would probably all have looked about the same. (I'm not Joe Electrician though, so I could be wrong about this.)

Given the frequency/consistency of this issue, I'd probably have to downgrade my uniformity rating on the F5300 displays from "outstanding" to merely "very good" for a low cost display. The uniformity is still significantly better on the F4500 and F5300 panels than on my 1080i CRT though, which has a fairly pronounced hot spot and color shift in the middle of the screen. And if my theories above are correct, then the uniformity is probably best on the smallest and least expensive model, namely the 720p 43F4500, and the "hot spot" is probably most noticeable on the 1080p 64F5300, since it's biggest.

I think this also proves that Mark's eyes are better at identifying these kinds of flaws than mine, so it's probably a good thing he's the one doin the reviews. I still think he would've enjoyed the calibrated picture on the 51F5300 more in controlled lighting than the F8500 though, and that he probably would've tuned out/gotten used to the subtle hot spot at the bottom of the screen in time. The F8500 might be a better tool for doing reviews though, because it looks more like an LED than the F5300,... albeit one with better motion and blacks than a typical LED.

I disagree a little with his description of the F5300s as "dark room" displays though. In my opinion, these are "dim room" displays at best, because the blacks just aren't deep enough to really look "black" in a room with no lighting. (I'm a little spoiled on this issue by the deep inky blacks on my CRT though.)

Issues like the hot spot above will probably also stand out more in a darker room. Imo, these displays will probably look best in a room with dim to average lighting, provided that most of the room light is behind/around the display rather than in front of it, as I described earlier. I think the PQ on a well-calibrated 51F5300 would be hard to beat in these kinds of ideal lighting conditions, esp. for the price.

Also, as far as I can tell, the hot spot issue above has nothing to do with the display's color decoding (which is also quite good btw), so it wouldn't really be considered "red push". You could say that the panel appears to be "driving" a bit more blue and red near the bottom of the screen than at the top though.

Red and green "push" are usually associated with color decoding errors rather than white/gray balance issues. Manufacturers will often deliberately tweak the color decoding on their equipment to either punch up the luminance ("green push"), or to give flesh tones a more reddish hue to compensate for the cooler white balance in their Vivid picture modes. I saw no signs of either red or green push on the 51F5300 in my HDMI tests though, when the color settings were properly configured on both the player and display. The color decoding looked pretty much on the money using the "RGB Only" feature with a variety of different color bar tests at different stimulus levels.

The overall white/gray balance on the display looked like it could use some adjustment though, since none of the Color Tone temperature settings looked especially accurate out of the box.
tubetwister likes this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 06-30-2014 at 01:56 PM.
post #739 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh128 View Post
the goal should be to get the closest to real life, not the closest to a technology created 70yrs ago...

but I know what you mean, the 'judder' in film looks natural to me. I like it. but I know it's because I'm used to it, not because its the most life-like
Apostate and tubetwister like this.
post #740 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I disagree. What you're perceiving with the plasma as poor motion is probably as close to the original 24 or 30 frame image as you can get. I think your plasma is probably being very 'honest' to the source-- not unlike how a quality set of speakers will reveal flaws in a recording.
in case you misunderstood. when I said 'bandaid fix' I meant that it was an improvement, but not a solution. the 'solution' would be a higher frame rate source that looked more like real life. the bandaid fix is to simulate that and make it look more like real life. in either case, the goal shouldn't(imo) be to recreate what a few ppl determined as the lowest possible frame rate they could use almost a century ago. it should be to recreate real life. I don't want to be in the movie theatre, I want to be in the movie. or look like I'm looking through a window into the movie(sometimes that's safer )
post #741 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 340
imagic wrote post #696
The F5300 still produces a better than a number of LCDs at that price point, even in a (somewhat) bright room!

re /tubetwister

Very much the same thing with my 60F5300 very good thing for prospective xx5300 buyers to know .
gus738 likes this.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #742 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
the goal should be to get the closest to real life, not the closest to a technology created 70yrs ago...

but I know what you mean, the 'judder' in film looks natural to me. I like it. but I know it's because I'm used to it, not because its the most life-like
Real life looking TV seems to be a long way away. Must be great being a child at the moment. As when they're in their 20s, all this wonderful tech will be normal to them and it'll only get better by the time they hit 30.

Rather than getting old by the time all this stuff arrives.
post #743 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
Back to the Samsung F5300 for a sec (for those who may still be interested ).

I spent some more time yesterday looking at the uniformity of the F5300s at a different store with darker overhead lighting, and both the 51" and 60" displays appeared to be slightly brighter and also "cooler" (ie more blue-red) at that bottom of the screen than at the top.

There appeared to be a very diffuse hot spot centered at the bottom of the screen on both displays, so maybe that's where the panels connect to the power supplies. And perhaps the voltages are running a little higher in that area as a result.

That raises an interesting calibration question btw... If there's a difference in color and brightness at the top and bottom of the screen, then do you adjust the white/gray balance so it's more accurate in the middle of the screen, or at the top, or bottom? Before answering that question though, I think you'd also have to look at the balance near black on different parts of the screen, to see which way the shadow detail might be skewing.

My guess is that all of the F5300s and and F4500s have this "hot spot" feature to some degree. It's probably a little more noticeable on the larger displays though because the pixels at the top of the screen (esp. the top corners) are farther away from the supply of power at the bottom, and not receiving quite as much "juice", and hence somewhat darker. That's my theory anyway.

Tinkering with the voltages might help a little. But I have some doubts about whether it would make a really noticeable improvement, because it looks like this is probably a characteristic of the displays' design, and power supply. And my guess is that Mark's 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th... F5300 panels would probably all have looked about the same. (I'm not Joe Electrician though, so I could be wrong about this.)

Given the frequency/consistency of this issue, I'd probably have to downngrade my uniformity rating on the F5300 displays from "outstanding" to merely "very good" for a low cost display. The uniformity is still significantly better on the F4500 and F5300 panels than on my 1080i CRT though, which has a fairly pronounced hot spot and color shift in the middle of the screen. And if my theories above are correct, then the uniformity is probably best on the smallest and least expensive model, namely the 720p 43F4500, and the "hot spot" is probably most noticeable on the 1080p 64F5300, since it's biggest.

I think this also proves that Mark's eyes are better at identifying these kinds of flaws than mine, so it's probably a good thing he's the one doin the reviews. I still think he would've enjoyed the calibrated picture on the 51F5300 more in controlled lighting than the F8500 though, and that he probably would've tuned out/gotten used to the subtle hot spot at the bottom of the screen in time. The F8500 might be a better tool for doing reviews though, because it looks more like an LED than the F5300,... albeit one with better motion and blacks than a typical LED.

I disagree a little with his description of the F5300s as "dark room" displays though. In my opinion, these are "dim room" displays at best, because the blacks just aren't deep enough to really look "black" in a room with no lighting. (I'm a little spoiled on this issue by the deep inky blacks on my CRT though.)

Issues like the hot spot above will probably also stand out more in a darker room. Imo, these displays will probably look best in a room with dim to average lighting, provided that most of the room light is behind/around the display rather than in front of it, as I described earlier. I think the PQ on a well-calibrated 51F5300 would be hard to beat in these kinds of ideal lighting conditions, esp. for the price.

Also, as far as I can tell, the hot spot issue above has nothing to do with the display's color decoding (which is also quite good btw), so it wouldn't really be considered "red push". You could say that the panel appears to be "driving" a bit more blue and red near the bottom of the screen than at the top though.

Red and green "push" are usually associated with color decoding errors rather than white/gray balance issues. Manufacturers will often deliberately tweak the color decoding on their equipment to either punch up the luminance ("green push"), or to give flesh tones a more reddish hue to compensate for the cooler white balance in their Vivid picture modes. I saw no signs of either red or green push on the 51F5300 in my HDMI Blu-ray tests though, when the color settings were properly configured on both the player and display. The color decoding looked pretty much on the money using the "RGB Only" feature with a variety of different color bar tests at different stimulus levels.

The overall white/gray balance on the display looked like it could use some adjustment though, since none of the Color Tone temperature settings looked especially accurate out of the box.

So what's your take on a push uniformly on one half of the screen?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f5300 pink.jpg (107.9 KB, 38 views)
post #744 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
in case you misunderstood. when I said 'bandaid fix' I meant that it was an improvement, but not a solution. the 'solution' would be a higher frame rate source that looked more like real life. the bandaid fix is to simulate that and make it look more like real life. in either case, the goal shouldn't(imo) be to recreate what a few ppl determined as the lowest possible frame rate they could use almost a century ago. it should be to recreate real life. I don't want to be in the movie theatre, I want to be in the movie. or look like I'm looking through a window into the movie(sometimes that's safer )
I didn't misunderstand.

You just made my point exactly. So why blame your plasma tv? The issue is the source. Your plasma is just displaying what it gets. Play some call of duty or 60fps video from your PC onto your plasma and you'll see it's motion is as close to perfect as any technology currently available.
post #745 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post
Real life looking TV seems to be a long way away. Must be great being a child at the moment. As when they're in their 20s, all this wonderful tech will be normal to them and it'll only get better by the time they hit 30.

Which is precisely why they wont even appreciate it!
post #746 of 954 Old 06-29-2014, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Such as?

-Brighter (not needed in dark environment)
-Slightly darker blacks
-3D (irrelevant for most)
-Smart tv (same)
-More HDMI (same)

I guess the 5300 is the "perfect" tv for me, because none of the features on the 8500 literally have any value to me, certainly not $1500 worth. YMMV.
Well you listed them for me. However, I was not putting the F5300 down. I just said that I thought the F5500 I helped a buddy setup looked amazing. By assumption, the F5300 is probably a terrific set as well.

The light filter and better contrast makes the TV a better looking set and TVs are judged on their picture quality. I'm actually scouring CL right now looking for a deal on a used ~50" plasma set.

I was expressing that if the OP was going to be reviewing, he should have one of the best.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
post #747 of 954 Old 06-30-2014, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post

Maybe by then everything will be 1080p BD quality and some cable channels will then just be able to supply crappy, compressed 4K. Of course TV manufacturers will be pushing 20K TVs at the time.

Samsung will make a full 360 degree TV that you need to sit in the middle of and cannot see it from outside the circle. But don't worry it will have good viewing angles from the inside.
post #748 of 954 Old 06-30-2014, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm already feeling really damned spoiled by the F8500. I can now see—with great clarity—the dilemma of the reference plasma owner. That OLED you refer to—it'll have to be flat for me to truly love it. But I agree... that's what it'll take.
Hey Mark, it sounds like you really changed your tune about plasma's from when you first posted the thread about the Panasonic LED beating plasma tech. Seems like you have a lot more appreciation and understanding of what we have been trying to tell you the whole time, and now owning an F8500 brings you even closer to our thinking.

Once you own a top of the line plasma you even start to lose interest in what other manufacturers are doing with their LED TV's. You almost don't even care because the thought of replacing that plasma with an LED never crosses your mind.

I am looking forward to your review now of the Panny LED and hopefully you also throw in comparisons to your lower budget F5300 plasma as well. I would be interested to know how it fairs.
StinDaWg and gus738 like this.
post #749 of 954 Old 06-30-2014, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
Hey Mark, it sounds like you really changed your tune about plasma's from when you first posted the thread about the Panasonic LED beating plasma tech. Seems like you have a lot more appreciation and understanding of what we have been trying to tell you the whole time, and now owning an F8500 brings you even closer to our thinking.

Once you own a top of the line plasma you even start to lose interest in what other manufacturers are doing with their LED TV's. You almost don't even care because the thought of replacing that plasma with an LED never crosses your mind.

I am looking forward to your review now of the Panny LED and hopefully you also throw in comparisons to your lower budget F5300 plasma as well. I would be interested to know how it fairs.
I'll absolutely address the F5300 as well as the F8500. I can offer an insight into my current thinking: The Panasonic, if combined with a high-end DisplayPort-equipped video card on a gaming PC, is an absolute stunner. In fact, Panasonic would do itself a favor by packaging this TV as a PC/gaming display because in 2014 that's who would get the most use out of it's main strengths.

Viewing angle is where I made the greatest error in judgement, the AX800U only looks plasma-like when viewed absolutely head-on, otherwise color loses its saturation. For most viewers and most content there's a much larger viewing cone that looks good, but the best performance (reference enough to do color work) is reserved for head-on viewing in a very narrow cone. So again, the AX800U is perfect for what I'm doing with it right now... using it with a PC as an ultimate monitor. If it was my TV, I'd use it 75% of the time, and the F8500 25% of the time. However, that would be because I would choose the F8500 to watch a movie. Normally I'll use my 55-inch Vizio M3D550KD as my main PC monitor, it actually has great screen uniformity, something I've only come to appreciate after seeing that's often not the case with many TVs.

On another note, now that I've seen Vizio's new E and M LED backlit TVs, I can say two things about the Panasonic AX800U: The Panasonic's edgelit local dimming works better than Vizio's backlit dimming, except when it comes to darkening the letterbox bars. With the AX800U, I was really surprised at how well edgelit can perform, and how a backlit TV does not necessarily look better, as opposed to measuring better (Vizio's blacks are very competitive for an LCD).

Anyhow, enough about that TV for now. I have ten more days to get the most out of it and then I will have a review. The F8500 calibrated to near-perfection, and watching it is a pure pleasure. I can't say enough nice things about that TV, and I would never have had the guts to buy such a thing were it not for AVS Forum.

post #750 of 954 Old 06-30-2014, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
On a lot of TV's the PC input (if VGA ) looks bad it shouldn't if using an HDMI or DVI-D to HDMI to the TV .

ofc the XXF53000's don't have VGA maybe change the desktop wallpaper? the Desktop Icons sometimes don't have enough pixels to scale up and look that great on a larger screen anyway .

PC monitors are usually better for extended reading pixel structure and other things are often different from a TV
The 1080p TV's here are good for Netflix, videos ,games and things on the PC or graphical software such as a DAW . for reading I prefer a 24 - 27" PC monitor at the desk. ofc mine are running at 2560 x 1440
a PC monitor ofc mine are running at 2560 x 1440

Also make sure your PC is set to 1920 x1080 for the TV
and TV pixel mapping is 1:1 (no zoom either on the TV remote ) any scaling if needed should be done with the PC video controls otherwise it can make it look bad . Some TV's usually 720P sets support 1440 x 900 better .

R U using it as a primary desktop ? I have dedicated monitors on my PC's that have TV's on them also and set up
the TV as screen # 2 and just move any open windows over to the TV as needed it only takes 2 keystrokes . WIN + Arrow Key 2 times .

I've never had MY 60F5300 hooked up to a PC only Dish DVR and PS 3 . PC's are on two of my other 40" LCD sets + PC monitors .
Thanks for the response. The PC is running at 1920x1080 HDMI through receiver to the TV via HDMI. It just looks crummy on the desktop / web browsing. I think its because with a browser basically your entire screen is white. However, when I played a movie through the PC it looks great. The same for games.

---------
My Home Theater
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page