Forum Jump: 
 392Likes

post #931 of 977 Old 07-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 45
If your set doesn't have these features then I'd highly recommend getting the Disney WOW disc and running its pixel flipper feature. Probably the best IR tool out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 977 Old 07-15-2014, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Got my F5300 B Version 60 inch manufactured June 2014 ($699 @ Sears). Performed a basic brightness/contrast disc calibration.

Pink tint at the bottom is quite noticeable . If I look, I can see it in almost everything (grey coat, beach sand, etc).

Not sure if it's something I can live with. Going from a 42 inch LCD to a 60 inch was a huge leap, and overall I have a massive grin on my face... believe me... but I'm just not sure I can stomach this much of an issue. I envision myself scanning for it every time I watch. Maybe I'm wrong and it's something I'd get used to and ignore.

I dont think I want to play the return it and try again game.

My next best option may be to build a budget projection setup.
post #933 of 977 Old 07-15-2014, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHomsey View Post
Got my F5300 B Version 60 inch manufactured June 2014 ($699 @ Sears). Performed a basic brightness/contrast disc calibration.

Pink tint at the bottom is quite noticeable . If I look, I can see it in almost everything (grey coat, beach sand, etc).

Not sure if it's something I can live with. Going from a 42 inch LCD to a 60 inch was a huge leap, and overall I have a massive grin on my face... believe me... but I'm just not sure I can stomach this much of an issue. I envision myself scanning for it every time I watch. Maybe I'm wrong and it's something I'd get used to and ignore.

I dont think I want to play the return it and try again game.

Sorry to hear that Ryan . It does look like the majority of TVs have this issue. I wonder if this is more prevalent in the newer B-series of plasma panels. I have to say that the replacement I received has not been all peaches. Either I'm going crazy or the panel seems to fluctuate between having a pretty visible pink tint along the bottom, to having a mild tint.

For the price, I'm leaning towards living with it. No way I'll be able to get a good 60" TV with such amazing black levels and viewing angles for this price for several years.
RyanHomsey likes this.
post #934 of 977 Old 07-15-2014, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post
If your set doesn't have these features then I'd highly recommend getting the Disney WOW disc and running its pixel flipper feature. Probably the best IR tool out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Then you need a "pixel flipper."
Everyone mentions the one on the Disney WOW disc.
You might want to try this:
http://beginwithsoftware.com/videogu.../#.U8V5X5RdWSo

Thank you guys! I will try this....GOGO AMAZON PRIME
post #935 of 977 Old 07-15-2014, 04:50 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post
I have the Disney WOW disc (DVD) and it does not have the Pixel Flipper. Is it only on the Blu-Ray version?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #936 of 977 Old 07-15-2014, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Ok, I have finally seen what you guys are talking about with the magenta tint around the edges. It was during an Ellen (Olay) commercial with lots of white background and a purple theme. It is so slight that I have to concentrate to see it. It is more like the typical dirty whites you get with plasma but with an ever so slight pinkish tint six inch border on the bottom, right and left side.

Now that I know what you guys are seeing, I have tried to see how it affects normal viewing and cannot see this at all. Even with light and white colors at the bottom of the screen.

The next part of my story may be completely irrelevant but I thought I would share.

For the first few weeks of ownership of this TV, I plugged in everyone's settings with varying degrees of success. Sometimes I really messed up the settings and would have to reset the picture settings and start over.

I used my six year old plasma as my reference and thought that if I could match its colors, I would be set. As I started to get my colors dialed in I kept running into a problem of a slight pink push. It was so slight that I only noticed it on people's lips and bloodshot eyes. It was like everyone was wearing magenta lip gloss. Any adjustments to get rid of it caused other problems.

I had probably reset my picture settings to default a half dozen times adjusting the picture. The last time I reset them I noticed an immediate difference on my pink lip push. It wasn't there.

I had played with the settings so much I was starting to get a feel for what the basic settings accomplished. So after the last picture reset (which appeared to correct the pink push), I just made three adjustments to my picture and have left them there ever since.

Here are the settings that are different from the default settings after a reset.

I have the B model with February 14 build date and 1002 firmware.
Picture mode standard
Cell light 20
Color 37
Color tone warm 1

As the numerous resets would prove, there was always something that slightly bugged me about the picture settings. I am now completely satisfied with the picture and have no desire to tweak on it any more.

I am definitely no expert on this, but thought that maybe something I have written will help someone. I swear that the last picture reset did something that no other previous reset accomplished.
post #937 of 977 Old 07-15-2014, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is the 60F5300 better than the LG 60PB6650?
post #938 of 977 Old 07-15-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHomsey View Post
That's what I think I am going to do. You can get a BenQ W1070 and 125" screen for less than $1000.
RyanHomsey likes this.
post #939 of 977 Old 07-15-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Then you need a "pixel flipper."
Everyone mentions the one on the Disney WOW disc.
You might want to try this:
http://beginwithsoftware.com/videogu.../#.U8V5X5RdWSo

I ran the plasmatv dvd for 2 hours...nothing really changed.
I took some pics...doesn't really do it justice..it is much worse in person.

So the first pic you see the logo, the second pic is on the other side from the same channel. It is temp and time along with a cloud.......guess it was cloudy that day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0977.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	163841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0979.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	163849  
post #940 of 977 Old 07-16-2014, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 21
2 hours ain't nuttin. You may need to run it HUNDREDS of hours to even make a dent (maybe).
StinDaWg likes this.
post #941 of 977 Old 07-16-2014, 03:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetchie69 View Post
I ran the plasmatv dvd for 2 hours...nothing really changed.
I took some pics...doesn't really do it justice..it is much worse in person.

So the first pic you see the logo, the second pic is on the other side from the same channel. It is temp and time along with a cloud.......guess it was cloudy that day
Can you see it under normal viewing conditions?
post #942 of 977 Old 07-16-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post
Can you see it under normal viewing conditions?
Yep

On white screen it sticks out like a sore thumb.
When a lighter color shows up near it I see it.

For example when a player with a light jersey passes that part of the screen a see a 12 floating around.....LOL

And with my OCD, now that I know it is there I am looking for it.

The F8500 is sounding better and better but my fear is this will happen again.
Apparently this is one of my wife's new favorite channels...

Do I go LED? ugh
post #943 of 977 Old 07-16-2014, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Yep

On white screen it sticks out like a sore thumb.
When a lighter color shows up near it I see it.

For example when a player with a light jersey passes that part of the screen a see a 12 floating around.....LOL

And with my OCD, now that I know it is there I am looking for it.

The F8500 is sounding better and better but my fear is this will happen again.
Apparently this is one of my wife's new favorite channels...

Do I go LED? ugh
With the number of hours you may have (given it is a 7 year old plasma) you very may well have burn in (burn in is when IR becomes permanent). The newer plasmas typically have less issues then older models regarding IR and image burn in (excluding when 3d first came out which caused some issues). Personally I would leave it doing a white wash (black background with a white bar sweeping across the image) or similar overnight for a week or so and only if it hasn't been removed by that (or considerably removed) then maybe consider another tv if it really annoys you that much (as it would me). I'm guessing that you may have left it on that channel for extended periods of time (or more likely left it on a still from your dvr of that channel overnight a few times). I don't watch tv so don't have to face the issues of logos, but one thing some do is zoom the image in. I do play games though and my vt60 handles it with no issues at all (no hud ir or similar).

As for led (which is just an lcd), if you want the best pq then that is not the answer you are looking for and if that IR/burn in is causing you annoyance I can't imagine you liking the screen uniformity issues that are present in most lcd's. As above, I would try and get rid of the ir (two hours will not be enough) by running slides or similar overnight (7+ hours) for a week and if that fails I personally would buy the f8500 or a lower end samsung plasma (or the panasonic st60 if you can find one new), oh and of course do not watch that channel (or zoom it in) when you are trying to get rid of the logo.
post #944 of 977 Old 07-16-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post
How do you like the Pentile matrix screen?
Love it on the H5000. Watched the all-star game last night, and it was excellent. Coming from a 50" LG, this is better than I could have imagined. I didn't think I was going to notice really any difference, but I most definitely do. And the only other options for 64" are F5300 (pink tint issues, and I never saw priced for less than the H5000) and the F8500 which is way more money. Bang for your buck, PN64H5000 is the buy.
post #945 of 977 Old 07-16-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post
As for led (which is just an lcd), if you want the best pq then that is not the answer you are looking for and if that IR/burn in is causing you annoyance I can't imagine you liking the screen uniformity issues that are present in most lcd's.
BINGO! It is my biggest fear and issue.

Thanks for your advice FilmReverie.
post #946 of 977 Old 07-16-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
BINGO! It is my biggest fear and issue.

Thanks for your advice FilmReverie.
Yeah, I have to agree. I mean nobody wants a TV that has issues like the pink tint with the F5300, but I have to say that as long as you don't have a really strong case of red tint, this issue hardly ever crops up when watching movies/TV unless you are watching icehockey or all-white screens in commercials/movies. I'd much rather take that than have to deal with non-uniform backlighting in LCD sets...especially the budget oriented ones which would be competing against the F5300 plasma in terms of price.

The first time I popped in the movie Gravity after calibrating my black levels... I had a huge grin on my face because of the awesome, uniform blacks and just how good the space scenes looked. You'll come across dark scenes in movies a lot more where you;d notice backlighting/local dimming issues rather than the rare occasions when the pink tint issue may come into play.
BobRiff and RyanHomsey like this.
post #947 of 977 Old 07-20-2014, 09:01 PM

I am considering running a "burn-in" slide consisting of a red on black slide where the red is in the form of a tight gradient along the bottom edge of the screen. My logic is that I can cause the red phosphors to age faster in the lower section of the screen to essentially try and balance out the minor red-tint effect at the bottom edge of my panel.

Could someone tell me why this would be a very stupid idea or if there is some chance of success with trying this? The red-tint has been completely unnoticeable in most movies and tv-shows. However, it is kinda noticeable when viewing black and white movies or large swaths of gray like when watching this weekend's Formula 1 race. I'm hoping to achieve a marginal improvement with this approach and I figure if things go south, it can't get too bad and is only going to affect a non-critical part of the panel when viewing content.
post #948 of 977 Old 07-20-2014, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Orion 2001, When new owners run slides for their displays, it is NOT to prevent "burn-in", but rather to prep their plasma TV's for calibration. I can't see where any amount of running slides will protect you from some unforeseen instance of "burn-in". The only other advantage I can think of running slides on your display for the first 200-300 hrs is that you can spot any problems that may occur since the a large percentage of CE products that fail do so within a short time of ownership. Also, the vast majority of all people that purchase plasma displays never bother to run any type of slides, etc. period. They simply just plug it in and turn it on. No big deal.
post #949 of 977 Old 07-20-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Orion 2001, When new owners run slides for their displays, it is NOT to prevent "burn-in", but rather to prep their plasma TV's for calibration. I can't see where any amount of running slides will protect you from some unforeseen instance of "burn-in". The only other advantage I can think of running slides on your display for the first 200-300 hrs is that you can spot any problems that may occur since the a large percentage of CE products that fail do so within a short time of ownership. Also, the vast majority of all people that purchase plasma displays never bother to run any type of slides, etc. period. They simply just plug it in and turn it on. No big deal.
Hi cajieboy,

Thanks for your reply, but I think you may have misunderstood my post. I have the Samsung PN60F5300 and the screen uniformity is good for the most part but I have a minor pink tint issue along the bottom edge of the panel. What I am proposing to do is create an image that is black everywhere except red along the bottom edge (with a gradient transition to black), and displaying this for prolonged periods on my TV. The logic is to essentially age the red cells further in comparison the Blue and Green cells along the bottom edge of the screen. The hope is that this may allow some rectification of the red tint issue. I'm wondering if this could potentially help alleviate the red tint issue to some extent and whether anyone else has ever tried anything similar. Of course, if this is a completely daft idea with no chance of sucess, I'd like to hear that too to save myself the hassle and potential of making things worse instead of better

I am well aware of the utility or lack thereof of these "burn-in" images. Personally, I think they are useful to try and age the panel uniformly and rapidly to get the panel to a more steady-state situation for calibrating the screen.
RyanHomsey likes this.
post #950 of 977 Old 07-20-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
I have the Disney WOW disc (DVD) and it does not have the Pixel Flipper.
Is it only on the Blu-Ray version?
Yes Randy, it's on the Blu-ray disc.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #951 of 977 Old 07-21-2014, 06:46 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Yes Randy, it's on the Blu-ray disc.
Thanks - at least now i know i'm not going insane. I looked everywhere on that old DVD and couldn't figure out why i'm not finding it

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #952 of 977 Old 08-14-2014, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefwahl View Post
I went through 2 different 60F8500s earlier this year. The constant buzz when sitting directly in front of the panel in my main watching position was too much to handle, especially in a $2500+ television.

Finally went with a 65F8000 and I'm very happy (although I do miss the inky blacks).

Have you noticed any audible buzz with your new plasma?
I am a Plasma snob and too bought an F8500 this year in spite of Sammy's decision to abandon the breed. It's a wonderful set, everything I'd hoped for in terms of picture quality. No buzz in my family room.

Too many Smart TV bells and whistles for me, but they too work fine. I'm hoping this set can carry me 10 years and maybe OLED's will rise to the occasion. Emissive TV's will always work better than whatever patches can be applied to the next 10 generations of LCD's.

tubetwister and Cloverleaf like this.
post #953 of 977 Old 08-14-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrobuf View Post
I am a Plasma snob and too bought an F8500 this year in spite of Sammy's decision to abandon the breed. It's a wonderful set, everything I'd hoped for in terms of picture quality. No buzz in my family room.

Too many Smart TV bells and whistles for me, but they too work fine. I'm hoping this set can carry me 10 years and maybe OLED's will rise to the occasion. Emissive TV's will always work better than whatever patches can be applied to the next 10 generations of LCD's.

Not a plasma slob but my Sammie plasma is the best of 6 sets here (5 LCD one PDP .) f85000 is cool enjoy it !

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #954 of 977 Old 08-14-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 400
If the Samsung PN64F8500 goes on sale here where I live I might just buy it as a spare.
...Black Friday perhaps, Christmas @ the latest. ...Boxing month.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #955 of 977 Old 09-18-2014, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Then ask yourself how it is that I don't have an issue with the Pentile pattern and I have 20/10 vision in my right eye, 20/15 in my left eye... plus I scrutinize TVs all the time and I have a "proper" RGB TV right next to the F53000?

The Pentile matrix is a non-issue unless you plan to sit four feet away from the screen and use a 60-inch F5300 plasma as a PC display (not recommended), and even then it's not really an issue.
Mark, I just wanted to thank you for making this comment and the one in another post about your normal viewing distance being 7 feet. I was in the final agonizing stages of pulling the trigger on the last of the F5350s at my local Costco. I'd just read one of the especially condescending posts about Pentile and was about to pass on my last chance to get a good plasma at a great price.

When I read your comments I immediately borrowed a relative's minivan and rushed to Costco. When I got the F5350 home and set it up, I knew I'd made the right choice. Watching it from 8 feet away I can see absolutely no hint of the Pentile display when compared with my older "true 1080P" LG 50PK540. In every way the F5350 blows away the 50PK540, which is now retired to a secondary viewing room.

Yes, the slight magenta push is very slightly visible at the very bottom of the screen. But it's only noticeable a small fraction of the time when I look for it. It's so mild as to be easily tuned out when I focus on content. I lucked out and got one of the better ones, even if it's slightly imperfect. Then again, perfectionists probably shouldn't be shopping for $649 60-inch plasmas.

I shake my head when I think that the Anti-Pentile League almost talked me out of this last great plasma bargain. I feel sorry for all those who may have passed on a 60-inch Samsung Pentile display when the odds are greatly against them ever noticing any problem from their normal viewing distance. It's a shame for anyone who didn't get a chance to read your comments.
BobRiff, imagic, StinDaWg and 2 others like this.
post #956 of 977 Old 09-18-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
I feel sorry for all those who may have passed on a 60-inch Samsung Pentile display when the odds are greatly against them ever noticing any problem from their normal viewing distance
Well, I passed on the 60 inch F5300 and I am not sorry at all. Why? Because I still ended up buying a plasma, albeit a different one, the 51" F5300 and could now not be any happier, especially after having it calibrated.

To me and my wife the cross-hatch pattern was just too noticeable, my wife (who is an actual opposite of a tech-person), the first thing she said when seeing this screen in the store, is "something does not look right with that screen", and this is comparing to an LG Plasma to the left, and an LCD screen to the right. She noticed the pattern right away.

Yes, the 51" is smaller, but I moved my sofa a little bit closer

it was just too noticeable to us and I know it would have always bugged me whenever I would have passed in-front and notice that cross-hatch pattern while at home. I do believe it may not be that noticeable from a certain distance, and I know PQ would be perfect, it is a Plasma after all, but some people are just too obsessive and would always bug them, like me, and some people are not. It is something though that is worth checking, do not just pass on it, it might be perfectly fine for you and you will end up with a great plasma, but do not rush and buy it either without checking first to see how you will feel about it.

But in general, I would probably feel sorry for anyone passing on a Plasma though .. I cannot believe the difference with the LCD I still own at home.

Or .. I guess I should not say that either, as I am sure some people would just never be able to live with an even a very short-lived IR, and are now perfectly happy with an LCD at home, lol

Last edited by alextr75; 09-18-2014 at 11:33 AM.
post #957 of 977 Old 09-18-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Is that really true though? Think about it-- brand new phosphors are going to exhibit some initial change quite quickly when they are first blasted by hot florescent light. This is WHY it helps to break in before calibration--ie its phosphors are more susceptible to fade/change color (read burn in if not varied content) when brand new than after a few hundred hours.

Unless the phosphors age in an absolutely linear way from start to finish (dont know for sure, but seems unlikely to me), then yes, its possible your panel is significantly more susceptible to burn in when new then when aged for a few hundred hours.
post #958 of 977 Old 09-18-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh128 View Post
Is that really true though? Think about it-- brand new phosphors are going to exhibit some initial change quite quickly when they are first blasted by hot florescent light. This is WHY it helps to break in before calibration--ie its phosphors are more susceptible to fade/change color (read burn in if not varied content) when brand new than after a few hundred hours.

Unless the phosphors age in an absolutely linear way from start to finish (dont know for sure, but seems unlikely to me), then yes, its possible your panel is significantly more susceptible to burn in when new then when aged for a few hundred hours.

Yes running the slides has nothing to do with IR/PIR prevention. It is so the phosphors age evenly during the most "volatile" for future calibration. If you are not calibrating your set then you can just watch a variety of content and be "ok".

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #959 of 977 Old 09-18-2014, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Yes running the slides has nothing to do with IR/PIR prevention. It is so the phosphors age evenly during the most "volatile" for future calibration. If you are not calibrating your set then you can just watch a variety of content and be "ok".

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
My post was referring more to "breaking in" the set in any way than the use of slides in general. Regardless of using slides or regular video, are not the first few hundred hours of a panels life the time when the phosphors are most sensitive to color change, etc? If so, then logic would dictate they are more susceptible to stubborn IR or even burn in than any other time in the life of the panel.

If not, then logic would dictate "break-in" slides could be run at any point in a panels lifetime to prep for a calibration.
post #960 of 977 Old 09-18-2014, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Main difference between the 5300 and 5000 Samsung series ???

Is anybody looking at the comparable LG plasmas that also got some decent reviews here and on other sites ?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page