post #181 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh View Post
Only the backlight does, you realize that? So a minimum update of a 60 hertz light-bulb is just bullcrap, if the Liquid Crystals have a fast response time of even 5 milliseconds. Plasma's response time is in a few microseconds.
You seem to be a veritable fount of misinformation and misunderstanding. There are LCD panels that are driven at 120Hz and 240Hz without anything to do with the backlight. At least you're no longer claiming that LCD TVs display 720p60 at 30Hz.
EscapeVelocity likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Question LCD have no slow refresh rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
You seem to be a veritable fount of misinformation and misunderstanding. There are LCD panels that are driven at 120Hz and 240Hz without anything to do with the backlight. At least you're no longer claiming that LCD TVs display 720p60 at 30Hz.
The blacklight flashes at 60Hz at least, (or if you can prove its the processing?) There is a lot of detail loss in fast and high refresh rate material. It has been improved upon, but an LCD will never have the frame rate of a DLP projector.
post #183 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post
Congrats on the purchase.

Not to be a downer, but keep your fingers crossed that the pink banding hue issue doesn't rear it's ugly head on your new panel at a later date. I have owned 2 different Samsung plasma's in the past and both developed this very issue. In both cases it worsened as the panel aged.

I made the switch to Panasonic and couldn't be happier. Too bad the ST60's were no longer available, as that was easily the best value for videophile quality TV'S this year. I grabbed myself a 60"!
Now this has me concerned. My current Panasonic has been rock solid for 4 years, how far in did the pink hue issue appear on your Samsungs? Samsung offers a one year warranty, and I would hate for it to happen after that period... Is this just an issue with budget plasmas in general, or specifically with Samsung plasmas?

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #184 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Now this has me concerned. My current Panasonic has been rock solid for 4 years, how far in did the pink hue issue appear on your Samsungs? Samsung offers a one year warranty, and I would hate for it to happen after that period... Is this just an issue with budget plasmas in general, or specifically with Samsung plasmas?
I've seen reports of the "green blob" issue (basically the same thing as magenta-tinted edges) cropping up on Panasonic plasmas, including the ST60. It's obvious that it's a problem with some Samsungs.

Since my replacement TV shows slight signs of a magenta cast near the bottom edge (although not nearly as bad as the first one I got), I'm going to see what Samsung is willing to do about it. I already put in a service request.
Transmaniacon likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #185 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I've seen reports of the "green blob" issue (basically the same thing as magenta-tinted edges) cropping up on Panasonic plasmas, including the ST60. It's obvious that it's a problem with some Samsungs.

Since my replacement TV shows slight signs of a magenta cast near the bottom edge (although not nearly as bad as the first one I got), I'm going to see what Samsung is willing to do about it. I already put in a service request.
I think I will have to roll the dice then, unless I went with LG's 60" plasma (but I have read the Samsung is better).

Living Room

Computer
post #186 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 801
At the price of this TV, you might have to be willing to give a little somewhere. I think the question is how bad can it get. What does the worse case scenario look like. Remember, we are the pickiest of people in here. It might not even be that big of a deal if it does take on a little hue of something. Most people probably won't be calibrating a TV that is $800 unless they have their own equipment so in general your TV will probably be heavy on one color or another anyway and never be perfect.

Now for someone who is going to calibrate their TV, I can see why this might be a bigger concern if they cannot calibrate it out.

Best suggestion, buy the TV from somewhere that will at least give you 30 days to return or if you must, Best Buy but only 14 days. The longer the better of course. You might also want to look into an extended warranty from Square Trade or Costco. It will not be much at all considering the price of this TV and might be worth it.
post #187 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Definitely not... I have yet to meet a TV reviewer that explicitly prefers LCD to plasma when it comes to image quality in a dark room. I'll see if they are willing to go on the record; otherwise I can only suggest that the Vizio E was very impressive, in relative terms. It's likely that reviewer didn't figure out that I was asking about a TV that I was going to buy (I asked via email, kept it off the record, and was non-specific)—they probably thought I was asking what their general recommendation would be. I'm totally speculating at this point.
Way to go, Mark.
I bought a 64" Samsung Plasma(PN64E533) from Costco when they were phasing it out last year....for $999.58. I'm very happy with it.
post #188 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
At the price of this TV, you might have to be willing to give a little somewhere. I think the question is how bad can it get. What does the worse case scenario look like. Remember, we are the pickiest of people in here. It might not even be that big of a deal if it does take on a little hue of something. Most people probably won't be calibrating a TV that is $800 unless they have their own equipment so in general your TV will probably be heavy on one color or another anyway and never be perfect.

Now for someone who is going to calibrate their TV, I can see why this might be a bigger concern if they cannot calibrate it out.

Best suggestion, buy the TV from somewhere that will at least give you 30 days to return or if you must, Best Buy but only 14 days. The longer the better of course. You might also want to look into an extended warranty from Square Trade or Costco. It will not be much at all considering the price of this TV and might be worth it.
Yeah I guess there will have to be compromises somewhere, hopefully I don't have any pink hue when I get it. I will be buying from Hhgregg, which has a 30 day return policy, so if there is any hint of magenta I will have them replace it.

The extended warranty is another $200, which would mean I would have to get the smaller 51" version. I may just hope for the best, and hope that any issue crops up in that first year.

Living Room

Computer
post #189 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I guess there will have to be compromises somewhere, hopefully I don't have any pink hue when I get it. I will be buying from Hhgregg, which has a 30 day return policy, so if there is any hint of magenta I will have them replace it.

The extended warranty is another $200, which would mean I would have to get the smaller 51" version. I may just hope for the best, and hope that any issue crops up in that first year.
Don't get the warranty from them. Get it directly from Square Trade. It should be $100 or less. Costco used to let you get the warranty on TV's purchases anywhere. They still might do it unless they changed their policy. You don't even need to be a member, it might be like $5 additional.

Or go directly through Square Trade...You can usually find a 30-40% off code online even...Look on Slickdeals. People are always posting discount codes.

http://www.squaretrade.com/tv-warranty
Transmaniacon likes this.
post #190 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
If that problem appears/reappears, I'll document what happens when I try to get it fixed—I consider it all an experiment of sorts. I have read reports of similar issues on plasmas from every maker; and, I also know it's a relatively common issue with these budget Samsungs.

Edit - If I scrutinize the screen, I still see a bit of a shift towards magenta towards the screen edge, near the bottom. For fun, I'm going to start a case and see how Samsung responds.
One thing I will say about Samsung is in my experience their customer service has been excellent. They replaced both TVs, no questions asked. They even gave me a model a step up when mine wasn't available. And when the final replacement came and I was dissatisfied with it (it too had multiple issues), I told them I was all done and they cut me a check for more than what I paid for my original TV! I used it to buy my first Panny plasma.
post #191 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
It happened within the first year in both cases. If your Panny is good after 4 years I wouldn't worry about it, but yeah, it is a fairly common issue with plasma tvs in general.

Last edited by wattheF; 06-17-2014 at 10:43 AM.
post #192 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
I've seen reports of the "green blob" issue (basically the same thing as magenta-tinted edges) cropping up on Panasonic plasmas, including the ST60.
OK, this is the first I've heard of the problem arising with the 2013 line...now the ST60 is fanless if I'm not mistaken, so I'm not going to get too bent out of shape concerning my ZT60 just yet (over 2000 hours and no signs of that yet).
post #193 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:

Greysacle calibration significantly improved magenta push on my ST30. Sometimes it can be a sign of red being too high in the greyscale. Even on my VT60 I can see this change over time, but once calibrated the uniformity is outstanding.

post #194 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
OK, this is the first I've heard of the problem arising with the 2013 line...now the ST60 is fanless if I'm not mistaken, so I'm not going to get too bent out of shape concerning my ZT60 just yet (over 2000 hours and no signs of that yet).
I wouldn't worry too much it is mostly smaller models and is not common in the US from what I have seen. If it is any reassurance my set has 4000 hours and no blobs thus far

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #195 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Greysacle calibration significantly improved magenta push on my ST30. Sometimes it can be a sign of red being too high in the greyscale. Even on my VT60 I can see this change over time, but once calibrated the uniformity is outstanding.
This.
post #196 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Hhgregg/Best Buy have the Samsung PN60F5300 for $799, do you think this is a good deal? I am trying to decide if I want to make the jump all the way to 60" from 42", I sit about 10' away and would be wall-mounting. Just trying to figure out if an extra 9" is worth $250.
the bigger you go now, the longer you can wait for oled to mature. I would definitely advise at least the 60"
post #197 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I wonder how exactly the newer non glare coatings work where if you're up slightly looking down, the picture darkens.
it's gotta be like tiny little shutters, haha.

but I'm curious too, I'd like to know if they are 'tuned' for certain light frequencies. I ask because when I replaced my halogens with 5000k LED's, I thought the led lights affected the picture of the tv much worse than the halogens ever did. with the halogens, I could crank them to 100% and the black level wouldn't budge a bit. the LED's do seem to raise blacks slightly, enough to notice anyway, when turned up too high.
post #198 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:

I have only heard of green blobs being a common problem on certain earlier Panasonic plasmas. It was corrected by a software update back in 2012. All PDP's can still develop these type issues, but Samsung's are notorious for line-bleed problems. If they can't fix it, have them replace it or offer a full refund.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 06-17-2014 at 01:47 PM.
post #199 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
You had to quote the whole post to utter that?! Anyway, I disagree...they're half-good. Hooray for Prestige and Batman (and not just because I have a mancrush on Mr. Bale). Avatar is derivative, preachy, sanctimonious, etc.
I really love Oblivion's soundtrack and all the shades of grey's. As if you were in some form of laboratory/studio. It's so smooth you can practically reach into the screen.

Quote:
You had to quote the whole post to utter that?! Anyway, I disagree...they're half-good. Hooray for Prestige and Batman (and not just because I have a mancrush on Mr. Bale). Avatar is derivative, preachy, sanctimonious, etc.
You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid! Ignorant like a child! Go Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
^^ I don't envy you man, I'd be rearranging that room completely trying to find a way to not have windows reflecting off the screen. that room is a candidate for mounting the tv higher, just so you can angle it down to avoid the windows, haha.
Imagine OLED and Moth Eye with Gravity. However, there seems to be something nice about Plasma and glass.

SiGGy likes this.
post #200 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
I have only heard of green blobs being a common problem on certain earlier Panasonic plasmas. It was corrected by a software update back in 2012. All PDP's can still develop these type issues, but Samsung's are notorious for line-bleed problems. If they can't fix it, have them replace it or offer a full refund.

Ian
I doubt Samsung will leave me hanging, after all I meet with Samsung techs and PR folks on a regular basis. However, I'm interested in the consumer experience as well. The first thing I'd like to know is exactly how good can a F5300 be, if it is operating at it's best. Then, I'd like to get a sense how far off that level of performance the actual units sold sold in stores are; so far I've seen bad and not so bad.. It's a mini-adventure; nothing surprising here.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #201 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
You'll forget about plasma glass when you get an OLED fired up in your room of choice one fine evening.
EscapeVelocity likes this.
post #202 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 118
You folks owe it to yourselves to acquire a True Matte Screen LCD, so that you know what you are missing.

If I had more sway with the manufacturers, that is one thing that I would have them do. Start making True Matte Screens again, it doesnt have to be their whole liineup, just the True Matte Screen midrange series. And market the advantages of True Matte Screens.

Semi Matte and Semi Gloss should be ditched completely for Glossy/Clear & Matte Screen LCD HDTVs.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #203 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh View Post
But will there be 40-60 frame per second content?
Yeah, that's an interesting question, although I wouldn't want to be unprepared for it when/if it does come...
post #204 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
^^ I don't envy you man, I'd be rearranging that room completely trying to find a way to not have windows reflecting off the screen. that room is a candidate for mounting the tv higher, just so you can angle it down to avoid the windows, haha.

I chose to place the TV low for a similar effect. (Avoiding the direct window reflections from seated position eye level).
fierce_gt likes this.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #205 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am 100" sure you will have buyers remorse if you do not get the 60". I watch my 65" plasma from 9.5ft away and could definitely go bigger but the size limitation of plasma's wouldn't allow it.

I watch my 100" front projection from 10ft away. So yeah, definitely go 60". In all truth, you will enjoy a 60" much better from that distance then you would a 51". At 51" you will be watching a TV, at 60" you are at your first steps of getting into the TV at that distance.
IMO, anything bigger than 60" you might as well start looking at Front Projection and ditch the TV altogether.

But that's just me.

post #206 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post
No doubt, some people have better luck than others. When I worked at Circuit City, we'd have people bring their TV back after a week or so because some kind of channel logo or other static image was burned into their screen, same thing happened when I worked at Ultimate Electronics. Obviously, there's no way to tell if they had their set on torch mode or not. But, just the fact that it was possible was enough to scare me off.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
common sense even our old crt tube were prone to burn logos just like oled as well mix content. When cc was still a business plasma was still new . remember i said 2007 was my 1st yr buying a plasma .plasma was already declared lost at that point
Im more worried about the algorithm the way it was made .resolution is not the important factor
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post
Someone was saying that Pentile Matrix breaks up visible dithering patterns as well.

Im not sold on Pentile on Big Screen Plasmas though.

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #207 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think I will have to roll the dice then, unless I went with LG's 60" plasma (but I have read the Samsung is better).

Id go with the LG at 60", just to avoid the Pentile Matrix display....or move up to the 64" F5300...which has recently been on sale for just under a grand. But to each his own.

post #208 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
IMO, anything bigger than 60" you might as well start looking at Front Projection and ditch the TV altogether.

But that's just me.
Projectors are not as versatile as a flat panel. They are good to accompany a flat panel, but not sure I would have it replace it all together and the room it is going in plays way more of an importance then any flat panel TV even.
post #209 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Id go with the LG at 60", just to avoid the Pentile Matrix display....or move up to the 64" F5300...which has recently been on sale for just under a grand. But to each his own.
I was under the impression the pentile matrix screen wasn't an issue, from what I have read the samsung is better than the LG, and the 64" is out of my budget. I am already pushing it at $799 for the 60" Samsung. I am however getting $225 for my old Panny, so that helps with the new purchase
gus738 likes this.

Living Room

Computer
post #210 of 979 Old 06-17-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Projectors are not as versatile as a flat panel. They are good to accompany a flat panel, but not sure I would have it replace it all together and the room it is going in plays way more of an importance then any flat panel TV even.
It's the difference between a TV and more than a TV.

Get yourself a TV by all means. But if you really want to take it to the next level of immersion, get yourself a Front Projector and really GO BIG 92"-120". Dont kid yourself that 65" or 70" is something more than a big TV.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page