Pre-purchase Question regarding Samsung 8500 Buzzing/Return Policy.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-16-2014, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Pre-purchase Question regarding Samsung 8500 Buzzing/Return Policy....

I would like to buy the Samsung PN60F8500 and have heard the only possible complaint is the buzzing sound.

My plan is to buy it online however all of the companies say that you have to inspect the TV upon delivery/arrival and no returns accepted after delivery.

If you buy this TV and you are unfortunate enough to get a buzzing TV, what do you do? What does Samsung do? Make you pay the cost to mail it back? Send a tech to your house?

I want to understand what people who have this problem do?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-16-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Your Tv comes with a one year warranty from Samsung. You can extend that another three months by registering the Tv on the Samsung support website. To obtain warranty service you will contact Samsung (see Samsung website). They will work with you on choosing a local authorized repair shop to do the work, this is when you need to speak up and request an shop that does in-home service. There is no charge (unless the repair shop has a policy that if they find no problem there is a charge for the trip - time and gas costs money). As for the buzzing- can be loose screws holding a board, could be a board, could be the panel. The shop will determine.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-16-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post
The shop will determine.
And tell you it's in spec pretty much regardless.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-16-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 734
buy from a good retailer. all the local ones here have 'no questions asked' returns within the first 30days or something.

I had no issues with the f8500, but the last tv I bought I tried to go for an LED, and I returned 3 TV's within that 30day period before I 'settled' on a CCFL lcd instead.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-17-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
excellent tvBuy it at bb and be prepared to wow yourself with an excellent tv .Lcd led or not will have host of defect

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #6 of 8 Old 06-17-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I got one of these and the buzz on my 64 was gone. Clean power maintained at 120v will help reduce buzz. Also the higher your altitude, the grater your chance at buzzing. Plasma is optimized for sea level.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-18-2014, 06:39 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwnsw View Post
I would like to buy the Samsung PN60F8500 and have heard the only possible complaint is the buzzing sound.

My plan is to buy it online however all of the companies say that you have to inspect the TV upon delivery/arrival and no returns accepted after delivery.

If you buy this TV and you are unfortunate enough to get a buzzing TV, what do you do? What does Samsung do? Make you pay the cost to mail it back? Send a tech to your house?

I want to understand what people who have this problem do?
If you receive a TV that buzzes abnormally loud, Samsung will probably not repair it under warranty. Their official stance over the years in response to customers requesting warranty repair for a buzzer is that "It's normal to hear buzzing at 15 feet" and they will not fix it.

The safest thing would be to buy from a reputable company that allows you or the delivery driver to power up the TV and make sure it's working properly before accepting it (like Cleveland Plasma or Amazon etc). DO NOT Accept the TV if it buzzes beyond a few feet, that is not how a TV should operate. Don't listen to owners who claim that it's normal because it is not.

Just connect the power cord and plug in a USB drive with bright break-in slides and see if it buzzes or not after powering it up.

A few years back i was present when my friend received his Plasma TV (from Amazon) and it buzzed right out of the box (we could hear it at about 5 feet away) and even the driver said "that's not normal, it should be quiet" so we boxed it up and the driver took it back. The replacement TV they sent a week later had zero buzz at 1 foot away and was a keeper.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #8 of 8 Old 06-18-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 734
I think saying 'zero buzz' is just as misleading as saying 'buzz at 15feet is normal'

ppl hear differently, and I don't expect any electronics to emit zero buzz. I definitely wouldn't consider my f8500 a 'buzzer'. it's not annoying, it's not noticeable when watching, but it's not 'zero buzz' either. truth be told, if I manipulate the install in the wrong way, I can actually make it sound worse, almost to the point that it is noticeable while viewing content.

anyway, I just think if you expect the tv to be 100% silent, you're going to end up sending back good units. there's a difference between detecting buzz at 15feet, and hearing buzz at 15feet while watching the tv. I definitely would not accept the latter, but I am able to tell whether or not my tv is on by the 'buzz' it makes as soon as I walk into the room, in some cases before. I could do this easily with crt's, the plasmas I've owned have actually been much quieter.

I would compare it to the buzz of an incandescent light bulb, or the background static of a midrange a/v receiver. it's there if you hunt for it, but you HAVE to hunt for it. it shouldn't be as loud or obvious as the buzzing you'd hear from fluorescent lights or a cheap dimmer switch
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page