Which TV will last me longer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-17-2014, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which TV will last me longer?

I'm not buying a 4k TV right now. I don't have the budget and only have about $500 to spend on a new TV.

Which TV will last me longer in regards to technology?

Spend $300 on the Plasma F4500 Series TV - 43”
720p / 600Hz / 2 HDMI
Link

or Spend $500 on the Samsung LED FH6030 - 46"
1080p / 120Hz / 2 HDMI
Link

Costco also has a Sony 40" and a Samsung 40" but they are only 60Hz so I figure that technology is/will be old in a year or so.

Thoughts on what to get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskydawgs View Post
I'm not buying a 4k TV right now. I don't have the budget and only have about $500 to spend on a new TV.

Which TV will last me longer in regards to technology?

Spend $300 on the Plasma F4500 Series TV - 43”
720p / 600Hz / 2 HDMI
Link

or Spend $500 on the Samsung LED FH6030 - 46"
1080p / 120Hz / 2 HDMI
Link

Costco also has a Sony 40" and a Samsung 40" but they are only 60Hz so I figure that technology is/will be old in a year or so.

Thoughts on what to get?
All Flat panel TV's have similar life spans regardless of the technology. As long as you stick to a major brand like Samsung, Sony, Panasonic etc.. you should be OK. However, Samsung plasmas are a bit more problematic due to line-bleed issues.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 06-18-2014 at 07:42 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 698
I'm not sure I understand this exactly.

based on what will work longer, that's anybody's guess. I would expect both displays to last longer than you need them to, unless there's a defect(which can't really be predicted).

based on what technology will become obsolete sooner, I think is kind of a silly question. on one hand, it's quite obvious that plasma will be discontinued before lcd is, so you could argue that the plasma will be 'obsolete' sooner. however, since the plasma still provides a better picture in many ways, you could also argue the lcd is already obsolete in comparison. either way, it's a ridiculous argument imo. so all you can really look at is what inputs it has, what it needs, and what sources you intend to use. the big difference here will be the 720p plasma vs a 1080p lcd. 1080p will be relevant, especially in the under 50" sizes, for many years to come. it offers the best possible resolution of the highest quality video source currently available(bluray). the other thing going for the lcd is it's 3inches larger. the smaller the screen the sooner you'll want to upgrade. at least that seems to be the trend. it sucks upgrading a perfectly functioning tv because you underbought.

imo, the difference between 120hz and 60hz is pretty minor except for how they handle 24fps movies. 120hz TV's obviously do that better since 120 is divisible by 24 evenly. no added/dropped frames necessary. beyond that though, I've never seen a difference with 30 or 60fps material.

in the end, neither tv is anywhere close to future proof. they are already considered 'old technology'. but since they both have hdmi inputs, they should technically be useable for exactly the same time frame. until sources are no longer backwards compatible with hdmi 1.4.

I'm sorry to say, but for 'only' 500bux, you will never get leading edge technology in a tv.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
I'm not sure I understand this exactly.

based on what will work longer, that's anybody's guess. I would expect both displays to last longer than you need them to, unless there's a defect(which can't really be predicted).

based on what technology will become obsolete sooner, I think is kind of a silly question. on one hand, it's quite obvious that plasma will be discontinued before lcd is, so you could argue that the plasma will be 'obsolete' sooner. however, since the plasma still provides a better picture in many ways, you could also argue the lcd is already obsolete in comparison. either way, it's a ridiculous argument imo. so all you can really look at is what inputs it has, what it needs, and what sources you intend to use. the big difference here will be the 720p plasma vs a 1080p lcd. 1080p will be relevant, especially in the under 50" sizes, for many years to come. it offers the best possible resolution of the highest quality video source currently available(bluray). the other thing going for the lcd is it's 3inches larger. the smaller the screen the sooner you'll want to upgrade. at least that seems to be the trend. it sucks upgrading a perfectly functioning tv because you underbought.

imo, the difference between 120hz and 60hz is pretty minor except for how they handle 24fps movies. 120hz TV's obviously do that better since 120 is divisible by 24 evenly. no added/dropped frames necessary. beyond that though, I've never seen a difference with 30 or 60fps material.

in the end, neither tv is anywhere close to future proof. they are already considered 'old technology'. but since they both have hdmi inputs, they should technically be useable for exactly the same time frame. until sources are no longer backwards compatible with hdmi 1.4.

I'm sorry to say, but for 'only' 500bux, you will never get leading edge technology in a tv.
I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet (only have a DVD).

Will the Blu-Ray player perform better on 720p Plasma or the 1080p LCD?

Yes, I'm torn. I was also looking at getting a sound bar so that would lean me towards keeping the $300 Plasma since I could spend the savings on a sound bar.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I'm torn. I was also looking at getting a sound bar so that would lean me towards keeping the $300 Plasma since I could spend the savings on a sound bar.
each has it's compromises. the 720p plasma will have far more noticeable pixel structure, if you sit close enough to notice it. the led will have far worse uniformity, if you view in a dim/dark room

it still generally comes down to a debate of quality over quantity. the plasma will have 'better' pixels, and the led will have more pixels. how that translates to the overall image is a personal preference really.

personally, I wouldn't pay more for an led, even with the extra size. if I were going to pay more, it'd be to move up to a 1080p plasma
post #6 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you're asking which technology will become more obsolete, I would say plasma, only because they are slowly being discontinued, but they still produce the best over all picture quality. Don't worry so much about resolution. My older 720p plasma still out performed my 1080p LCD even with Blu-rays. According to the Image Science Foundation, the most important specification when it comes to PQ is contrast, followed by color saturation, color accuracy and resolution. That being said, the only issue I have with the 720p PDP's is the larger pixels which can generate a screen door effect at normal viewing distances. Higher contrast, deeper blacks, wider viewing angels along with better motion performance, have always taken priority over a fixed resolution format for me.

Ian

post #7 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments.

I got the 720p Samsung Plasma this afternoon and it's all setup. Only problem I see is the glare is really bad if you aren't in front of the TV.

Also my Netflix streaming wasn't playing in HD so the picture wast that clear.

Wish I would of bought both so I could compare the differences
post #8 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Could you stretch to $600? The F5300 Plasma is a great value.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by showsjohn View Post
Could you stretch to $600? The F5300 Plasma is a great value.
No, I can't stretch it, plus it's too big for my entertainment center. The maximum TV size I could get is 46"

Plus, I would want to get a sound bar.

I have the Samsung Plasma F4500 Series TV - 43”. The sound is great while watching TV...both the voice volume and background/music volume. I have it turned up to level 5 or 6 on the volume.

I noticed last night when watching a DVD that the background/music/sound effects volume is a bit louder than the voice volume. So I have to turn it up in order to hear the voices, but only to 12 or 13.

I also noticed that while Streaming Netflix, the background/music/sound effects volume is much louder than the voice volume. I have to turn it up sometimes to 18 or 19 to hear a normal voice, but then the sound effect volume is way to loud.

Anyone else experience this? Not sure what to do. I don't have any subwoofer/sound bar/surround sound. This is just from the TV speakers.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't used built in speakers on a tv in years, but look in the audio menu and see if there's anything you can adjust. sometimes there's different modes and if so there's often one designed to make dialogue easier to hear. it sounds like maybe something with the 'surround' settings is off. like it's trying to create a surround sound effect by enhancing what would be the surround channels(that's why dvd's and Netflix do this) normally. sometimes it's called 3D audio, or any other mention of 'surround sound'. turn it off and see if that helps.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Nothing wrong with a 43" 720P plasma if you are (Edit : 5 ft. ) or more back it's fine probably better color and contrast than any LCD in or near the price range when viewing under controlled lighting conditions Just make sure you turn the ECO/Power settings off you can't bypass the ABL though .

Get some inexpensive 2.1 PC speakers (often those can be better than a lot of sound bars ) if you don't have some already those will give you a lot of bang for the buck and sound lot's better than the TV speakers . Try adjusting the audio settings like fierce_gt said that can help a lot
with the TV speakers .
mailiang likes this.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-23-2014 at 10:50 AM.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Nothing wrong with a 43" 720P plasma if you are 5" or more back
Five inches! Isn't that a bit close?

Ian

post #13 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Five inches! Isn't that a bit close?

Ian
Ha ha yea ......I should correct that that's even to even close for a 4K set !

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
led fh6030 , plasma f4500 , Samsung
Gear in this thread - f4500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page