HELP! Torn between TVs! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 06-18-2014, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RichManofAction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HELP! Torn between TVs!

Hello all-

I need your help. Currently, I have a decent 46" Samsung LED. It is 120hz 3D model, and goes into my Pioneer Elite reciever. Recently, my brother and cousins purchased large TVs, and I can't be left behind.

I sold HT in a big box store for years, and always liked Plasma. Of course that now that I have the means, Panasonics are tough to find... leaving me with Samsung.

Here is the problem. The Costco by me has a pentile 60" F5300 for $749. I see also that Walmart has an on again/off again non pentile 64" F5300 for $999. Out of all the TVs I love the F8500.

Do I say, eh screw it and buy either the 60" or 64", or wait until the F8500 is cheaper? If I go the F5300 route...is there a big difference between Pentile and non-pentile? I've reached the point where my fiancee thinks I'm nuts and just wants me to make a decision.
RichManofAction is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 Old 06-18-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Pentile is not true HD. I doubt the 60 or 64 inch F8500 will become much cheaper anytime soon. They have no competition with plasma now that Panasonic is gone.

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.

Last edited by wxman; 06-18-2014 at 08:21 PM.
wxman is online now  
post #3 of 27 Old 06-18-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,577
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 734
how much cheaper does the f8500 need to be for you? if you just need a couple hundred off, go for that. if you plan on waiting for it to be 1000bux cheaper, that may never happen.


still, as of right now, it appears the f8500 is the last 'great' tv you'll be able to buy until oled, or some unforeseen FALD unit, both of which will likely cost even more money for many years to come. if you view the f8500 has a minimum 5yr investment, paying an extra 200bux a year to get the f8500 over the f5300 seems reasonable. I don't know what current prices are like in your market, so excuse me if I'm off on that.


personally, I've underbought before, and it's no fun wishing your tv would die so you had an excuse to buy a new one. this time around, I knew I had to buy one of the top models, and now I'm certain i'll enjoy this tv until it does eventually die, and hopefully by then oled will be mainstream.


so, f8500 is first choice. 64" f5300 is 2nd choice, and I'd say the 60" f5300 should be a last resort really. the extra size, and non-pentile display of the 64 makes it such a better value in the long run. again, you don't want to be looking at your brothers brand new 70" TV's in 2yrs wishing you had gone for the 64" when you had the chance.
fierce_gt is online now  
post #4 of 27 Old 06-18-2014, 11:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Weboh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Pentile is not true HD. I doubt the 60 or 64 inch F8500 will become much cheaper anytime soon. They have no competition with plasma now that Panasonic is gone.
Even the 51F5300 is Pentile, but the pixels are smaller. Are you saying the pixels are too big?
Weboh is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old 06-18-2014, 11:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Difficult balancing act but the answer may be more obvious than it seems.

In the past, have you ever made a purchase where you compromised and then almost immediately wished you had gone for the model you really wanted? If so, get the F8500. If not, go with the F5300.....provided you can pay cash for either one of them without putting yourself into a bind.

If you have to finance either one of them or paying cash would put you into a bind....then the solution is to not buy either one of them.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 06-18-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh View Post
Even the 51F5300 is Pentile, but the pixels are smaller. Are you saying the pixels are too big?
Pentile uses a RGBG matrix, instead of RGB matrix. So you can't get a true 1:1 pixel mapping with Pentile. Will you notice that sitting a normal distance from tv, probably not.

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
wxman is online now  
post #7 of 27 Old 06-18-2014, 11:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Weboh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman
So you can't get a true 1:1 pixel mapping with Pentile.
You usually don't get a true 1 to 1 map anyway.
Weboh is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 06-19-2014, 12:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh View Post
You usually don't get a true 1 to 1 map anyway.
How do you figure that?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 06-19-2014, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RichManofAction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the responses!

If I had to, I can drop the money on the F8500, but my fiancee isn't exactly keen on spending that much on a TV. I agree with the argument concerning under purchasing - when I was looking at HT receivers, I purchased a standard Pioneer to only buy an Elite a few short months later.

As for the F5300, will I see a marked difference between my higher-range LED that is calibrated from two/three years ago and the Plasma? Same goes with the Pentile - Costco has the 60 incher for a mere $750...and the $1000 nonpentile 64 is at Walmart , which is out of stock (for now at least)

I've always loved the black levels, but is it worth dropping a grand as opposed to just waiting and seeing what will happen?
RichManofAction is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 06-19-2014, 08:43 AM
Senior Member
 
SoonerTheBetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
What kind of tvs did your brother and cousin get? How big?

If they are 50 to 60 inch mid-ranged LED sets, then I bet you could spank them with any of the 5300 plasmas you listed. I am biased though and like plasmas better in general.

I own the PN60F5300. I like it alot(I mean alot) but I wished I would have put out $200 more and got the 64.
SoonerTheBetter is offline  
post #11 of 27 Old 06-19-2014, 08:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Weboh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
How do you figure that?
There are usually more more electronic pixels than scan lines and scan pixels.
Weboh is offline  
post #12 of 27 Old 06-19-2014, 09:32 AM
Senior Member
 
9179mhb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichManofAction View Post
Do I say, eh screw it and buy either the 60" or 64", or wait until the F8500 is cheaper?
Prices are more likely to increase, sometime this Fall, once Samsung winds down then halts production of the F8500.

(he who hesitates is lost)
9179mhb is offline  
post #13 of 27 Old 06-19-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RichManofAction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTheBetter View Post
What kind of tvs did your brother and cousin get? How big?

If they are 50 to 60 inch mid-ranged LED sets, then I bet you could spank them with any of the 5300 plasmas you listed. I am biased though and like plasmas better in general.

I own the PN60F5300. I like it alot(I mean alot) but I wished I would have put out $200 more and got the 64.
It's not so much directly competing, but their LED's are pretty impressive. I think I've been over researching though, but when I saw the F5300 in person it didn't wow me, but it was under extremely harsh lightning conditions at Costco and Best Buy. My buddy's parents bought a large midrange Samsung plasma last year, and the picture is awesome.

I think I'll wait and see if the 64'' becomes available from Walmart again. If not, patience is key it seems.
RichManofAction is offline  
post #14 of 27 Old 06-19-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 9,892
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Pentile is not true HD.
That's not really true. It will full resolve any 1920x1080 YCbCr 4:2:0 test pattern. So, basically any Blu-Ray or HD source he can currently get can be fully resolved by the TV.

However, having said that I don't like the way the pentile matrix TVs look and wouldn't buy one because the pixel pattern is visible within the sort of distance I sit at where conventional RGB stripe pixels are not.
Stereodude is online now  
post #15 of 27 Old 06-19-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rlindo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 4,739
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichManofAction View Post

If I had to, I can drop the money on the F8500, but my fiancee isn't exactly keen on spending that much on a TV. I agree with the argument concerning under purchasing - when I was looking at HT receivers, I purchased a standard Pioneer to only buy an Elite a few short months later.
Is it your money? If so and you can clearly cover living expenses and the TV won't put you into any serious issue, who cares what she/he thinks? I'll never understand the whole marriage/relationship thing where people feel their significant other should be their parent and control how they spend their own money. People can say it's just part of that type of union but it really isn't unless someone allows it to be. Now if they are kicking in cash then yeah, I get them having a say.

As for the set, if you want to out-do your family then buy a projector.
tubetwister likes this.

ROB
rlindo is online now  
post #16 of 27 Old 06-19-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RichManofAction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
That's not really true. It will full resolve any 1920x1080 YCbCr 4:2:0 test pattern. So, basically any Blu-Ray or HD source he can currently get can be fully resolved by the TV.

However, having said that I don't like the way the pentile matrix TVs look and wouldn't buy one because the pixel pattern is visible within the sort of distance I sit at where conventional RGB stripe pixels are not.
That's exactly what throws me off! I could swear in the store I can see the pixels.

Yet, I've heard nothing but great things, but my eye sees what it sees.
RichManofAction is offline  
post #17 of 27 Old 06-19-2014, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RichManofAction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
Is it your money? If so and you can clearly cover living expenses and the TV won't put you into any serious issue, who cares what she/he thinks? I'll never understand the whole marriage/relationship thing where people feel their significant other should be their parent and control how they spend their own money. People can say it's just part of that type of union but it really isn't unless someone allows it to be. Now if they are kicking in cash then yeah, I get them having a say.

As for the set, if you want to out-do your family then buy a projector.
Ha it must be nice to operate in a vacuum. I don't, thus it's important what she thinks.
RichManofAction is offline  
post #18 of 27 Old 06-19-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
That's not really true. It will full resolve any 1920x1080 YCbCr 4:2:0 test pattern. So, basically any Blu-Ray or HD source he can currently get can be fully resolved by the TV.

However, having said that I don't like the way the pentile matrix TVs look and wouldn't buy one because the pixel pattern is visible within the sort of distance I sit at where conventional RGB stripe pixels are not.
The F5300 does not give the option for screen fit, just 16:9, whereas the F8500 gives both options. Thus you are stuck will a slightly zoomed image at all times on the F5300 with 16:9. A blu ray movie image, or any HD feed, is just not a sharp with 16:9 selected, whereas screen fit displays it as intended.

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
wxman is online now  
post #19 of 27 Old 06-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Senior Member
 
9179mhb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
I'll never understand the whole marriage/relationship thing where people feel their significant other should be their parent and control how they spend their own money. People can say it's just part of that type of union but it really isn't unless someone allows it to be. Now if they are kicking in cash then yeah, I get them having a say.
Sorry young fella but you got it all wrong. If you take your marriage seriously and love, have respect for your spouse you'll understand marriage is a "partnership" where each partner has an equal say regarding the household finances.

What I could never understand is why people get married if they're hedging their bets they will eventually divorce?

(I signed my marriage contract 29 years & 10 month ago and I'm glad that I did.)
9179mhb is offline  
post #20 of 27 Old 06-19-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post
Sorry young fella but you got it all wrong. If you take your marriage seriously and love, have respect for your spouse you'll understand marriage is a "partnership" where each partner has an equal say regarding the household finances.

What I could never understand is why people get married if they're hedging their bets they will eventually divorce?

(I signed my marriage contract 29 years & 10 month ago and I'm glad that I did.)
Are you available for counseling?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is offline  
post #21 of 27 Old 06-19-2014, 03:03 PM
Senior Member
 
9179mhb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Are you available for counseling?

Eh, I'm an old guy... no one listens to me.
9179mhb is offline  
post #22 of 27 Old 06-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Senior Member
 
SoonerTheBetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
The F5300 does not give the option for screen fit, just 16:9, whereas the F8500 gives both options. Thus you are stuck will a slightly zoomed image at all times on the F5300 with 16:9. A blu ray movie image, or any HD feed, is just not a sharp with 16:9 selected, whereas screen fit displays it as intended.
Incorrect, at least on my 60 inch 5300. It has a February 2014 manufacture date and firmware version 1002.

I have the options of 16:9, 4:3, screen fit and wide fit. Zoom 1 and 2 options are greyed out.
StinDaWg likes this.
SoonerTheBetter is offline  
post #23 of 27 Old 06-19-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTheBetter View Post
Incorrect, at least on my 60 inch 5300. It has a February 2014 manufacture date and firmware version 1002.

I have the options of 16:9, 4:3, screen fit and wide fit. Zoom 1 and 2 options are greyed out.
Thanks. I stand corrected.

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
wxman is online now  
post #24 of 27 Old 06-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Senior Member
 
SoonerTheBetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
^^^I am actually happy you brought it up. I have only had my tv a couple of weeks and have been jacking around with the settings and think I have the colors dialed in.

I set my picture to 16:9 because while in screen fit mode, my dvr guide had a thin white line at the bottom of the screen. The line isn't present in 16:9 mode.

Tonight I have been flicking back and forth between the two modes and you are correct, the picture cleans up in the screen fit mode. I am extremely happy ATM, thanks.

This may be my final tweak to my picture. It is really looking good.
SoonerTheBetter is offline  
post #25 of 27 Old 06-20-2014, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RichManofAction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTheBetter View Post
^^^I am actually happy you brought it up. I have only had my tv a couple of weeks and have been jacking around with the settings and think I have the colors dialed in.

I set my picture to 16:9 because while in screen fit mode, my dvr guide had a thin white line at the bottom of the screen. The line isn't present in 16:9 mode.

Tonight I have been flicking back and forth between the two modes and you are correct, the picture cleans up in the screen fit mode. I am extremely happy ATM, thanks.

This may be my final tweak to my picture. It is really looking good.
I pulled the trigger and scooped up the last one at Costco last night. The in-store display doesn't do it justice. You can see the pentile up close, but you shouldn't be sitting six inches from a sixty inch screen.

After calibrating it, the picture is stunning, especially considering it was less than $1,000 with a five year Costco protection plan. I am very happy. The difference between Plasma and LED is night and day. It's a shame that LCD caught the hearts of the consumer, because as of right now Plasma is the only way to go until OLED comes down and evolves a bit.
RichManofAction is offline  
post #26 of 27 Old 06-20-2014, 06:13 AM
Senior Member
 
SoonerTheBetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Congrats on your new tv. Now go buy your fiance a new pair of shoes. That way she'll think you're frugal, smart, and thoughtful.

Last edited by SoonerTheBetter; 06-20-2014 at 07:31 AM.
SoonerTheBetter is offline  
post #27 of 27 Old 06-20-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,716
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichManofAction View Post
I pulled the trigger and scooped up the last one at Costco last night. The in-store display doesn't do it justice. You can see the pentile up close, but you shouldn't be sitting six inches from a sixty inch screen.

After calibrating it, the picture is stunning, especially considering it was less than $1,000 with a five year Costco protection plan. I am very happy. The difference between Plasma and LED is night and day. It's a shame that LCD caught the hearts of the consumer, because as of right now Plasma is the only way to go until OLED comes down and evolves a bit.
Go tell that to the people in the LCD section. There convinced that LEDs are the better TV and produce the better picture. And these are suppose to be more educated people then the average consumer.
eric3316 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
f5300 , f8500 , plasma , Samsung
Gear in this thread - f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off