Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-08-2014, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sam. PN60F5500AF/XZC vs LG 60PB6600 same price and size

Heyo all,

I am looking to up-size my current Plasma TV (Panasonic Th-42PZ70B, had it 7 years now and still fantastic, but can't run the desktop at native resolution cuz everything is too small). I have checked most of the retailers around London Ontario, and they all have the exact same 2 60' plasma displays on for the exact same price.

I have not personally tested them yet, but would like to hear other users experiences with these displays.

so that's the Samsung PN60F5500AF / XZC (futureshop / bestbuy coding) and the LG 60PB6600.

I checked the individual threads and everyone likes them equally?

- I primarily use an HTPC for all my display needs, so I will be displaying pretty much everything in 1080p all the time. (games, movies,youtube all in 2D mode most likely)

I also have a Wii U (1080/720p depending) and use the Wii Emulation (480p) sometimes.

How do the sets handle really low resolutions? (480i/480p signals)

Do you notice any of this "input lag" with either?

If there is a moderate amount of sunlight in the room, is the picture fine? (no need to adjust?)

Have there been any problems with in the first year?

did you make use of the extended warranty?

Please let me know!

thank you for responding!

Last edited by Mazgazine11; 07-08-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-08-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazgazine11 View Post
Heyo all,

I am looking to up-size my current Plasma TV (Panasonic Th-42PZ70B, had it 7 years now and still fantastic, but can't run the desktop at native resolution cuz everything is too small). I have checked most of the retailers around London Ontario, and they all have the exact same 2 60' plasma displays on for the exact same price.

I have not personally tested them yet, but would like to hear other users experiences with these displays.

so that's the Samsung PN60F5500AF / XZC (futureshop / bestbuy coding) and the LG 60PB6600.

I checked the individual threads and everyone likes them equally?

- I primarily use an HTPC for all my display needs, so I will be displaying pretty much everything in 1080p all the time. (games, movies,youtube all in 2D mode most likely)

I also have a Wii U (1080/720p depending) and use the Wii Emulation (480p) sometimes.

How do the sets handle really low resolutions? (480i/480p signals)

Do you notice any of this "input lag" with either?

If there is a moderate amount of sunlight in the room, is the picture fine? (no need to adjust?)

Have there been any problems with in the first year?

did you make use of the extended warranty?

Please let me know!

thank you for responding!
Lots of questions, 1 response. Go to the store and look at both TV's and see what your eyes like better. I would go for the F5500 - 3D, Smart, and better blacks than the PB6600. F5500 is a mid level plasma, PB6600 is more budget. I had a D550 (2 year older model) and it was fantastic, but it buzzed. It was a pain. Not sure if the F5500 suffers from the same. I own the PB6600, no buzz, great PQ. As to your questions, my answer pertain to a PB6600:

1 - I have a Mac Mini plugged into my AVR, then to the tv. no issues. Works great. Colors are vibrant

2 - My wife watches a lot of TV Globo, which is only in 480p. It actually doesn't look bad. Just set the tv to "Just Scan" (PB6600) and it will fill the screen

3 - Heard the Lag is tough on the PB6600 - don't game so I can't say

4 - It is a plasma. Any direct sun or large amount of ambient sun will cause reflections. If you have direct sun and can't control the light, PB6600 may not be the best. Not sure if the F5500 has an Active Coating, you would have to check the threads

5 - No issues for me. Couple of people had some power issues, but they were all fixed easily and within warranty. Didn't do any extended warranty (cross your fingers), but so far no issues.

Hope that helps!
post #3 of 3 Old 07-09-2014, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for the reply,

I didn't know they would be significantly different, but the samsung does seem to have better stats:

http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...asma-tv-review[1]
vs
http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...asma-tv-review[2]

Right now they are the same price (with no panasonic in price range or sight) , so I would imagine the Samsung is supposed to be a level above the LG, then I will probably go for Samsung model.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
60PB6600 , lg samsung comparison , pn60f5500af
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page