Educated estimate of how long Samsung F8500 series will be avaiable? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Educated estimate of how long Samsung F8500 series will be avaiable?

Plasma Flat Panel Displays

igreg's Avatar igreg
03:33 AM Liked: 29
post #1 of 13
07-10-2014 | Posts: 2,964

.....availability in all three sizes.

Many consumers are still on the fence forvarious reasons: finances; deciding whether to wait for OLED; deciding whetherto have back-up to older plasma; questioning whether they will get a set withthe dreaded Samsung buzz; research on the right stand and size, and so on.

How long can the consumer wait without jeopardy oflack of availability despite the 11/30 production end date announced by Samsung?Also brings into question the need to add time if you get a unit(s) that isdefective and needs to be returned.

For myself, I am on the fence due to the questionof whether the picture will be superior to my 2004 PanasonicTh-50-PHD-6UYplasmawhich CNET gave a 9/10 in 2013 based on a more stringent rating scale than 2004(that is a negative from seeing the set at Best Buy, so would have to buy onreputation that quality of 1080i picture on the Samsung is superior); size ofset; concern over buzzing (major concern, especially if high-pitch buzz - setwould go in the garbage); whether to purchase from Value Electronics and payfor calibration and assurance of no buzzing; determination of size of set andmatching stand, whether to wait for OLED, and whether I can justify expense assecond television if not superior to the Panasonic.

Thanks.

redcrow100's Avatar redcrow100
07:15 AM Liked: 23
post #2 of 13
07-10-2014 | Posts: 124
Do you mean from major physical retail stores? If so, I would say by the end of September they'll be mostly gone from stores. Sears for example, would be one of the last to deplete their inventory (64 inch) since their prices are usually a bit higher than stores such as BB or HHGregg.

There will be availability from lesser known online stores till the end of the year, though the buying experience and price will vary greatly between them.

This is entirely my opinion btw...or should i say an educated estimate

My suggestion is buy it now if you can, preferably from a physical store with a good return policy or from a reputable place (i.e. Cleveland Plasma). I would imagine that any issues you could have with the set (i.e buzzing, dead pixels, screen cracks etc) would be better resolved when there is available inventory for an exchange. It might be difficult for the store to provide a replacement set of the same model in the future.

In the end I just asked myself "will i look back and regret not buying this TV, as opposed to actually buying it?" This set will compete in features and picture quality for years to come. The technology that it represents (plasma) will hold many advantages that future sets will not. Again, just my 2 cents.
ChadThunder's Avatar ChadThunder
07:43 AM Liked: 52
post #3 of 13
07-10-2014 | Posts: 310
If something happens to your Panny you can find a 9UK, 8UK, 7UY quite easily, they are very good sets even today if you use the digital input addon cards and couple them with modern video processing methods (for example madVR), that is not nostaglia I have a 9UK in another room and it is alot smoother than modern PDPs and a bit more like a CRT in its presentation, most here would prefer the F8500 but get what looks good to your eyes.
RandyWalters's Avatar RandyWalters
08:42 AM Liked: 498
post #4 of 13
07-10-2014 | Posts: 17,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
.....availability in all three sizes. Many consumers are still on the fence for various reasons: finances; deciding whether to wait for OLED; deciding whether to havea back-up to older plasma; questioning whether they will get a set with the dreaded Samsung buzz; research on the right stand and size, and so on. How long can the consumer wait without jeopardy of lack of availability despite the 11/30 production end date announced by Samsung. Also brings into question the need to add time if you get a unit(s) that is defective and needs to be returned.
Be careful about that Nov 30 deadline they announced - they will probably end production much earlier than that date like what happened with Panasonic when they had announced ceasing Plasma operations by March, but actually ended TV production in early December. Their March date was actually the deadline for having the factories dismantled and cleared out which took a few months after the last TVs had been built. If you want to make sure to get your last crack at getting a good Plasma, i'd buy sooner rather than later as later may be too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
For myself, I am on the fence due to the question of whether the picture will be superior to my 2004 PanasonicTh-50-PHD-6UYplasma which CNET gave a 9/10 in 2013 based on a more stringent rating scale than 2004 (that is a negative from seeing the set at Best Buy, so would have to buy on reputation that quality of 1080i picture on the Samsung is superior); size of set; concern over buzzing (major concern, especially if high-pitch buzz - set would go in the garbage); whether to purchase from Value Electronics and pay for calibration and assurance of no buzzing; determination of size of set and matching stand, whether to wait for OLED, whether I can justify expense as second television if not superior to the Panasonic, andother matters.

Being very familiar with most of the older Panasonic Pro models as compared to my GT50 and ST60, i'd say the F8500 is much better in pretty much every picture quality category than your old Pro model. No way would i pick an old 2004 Pro monitor (or any other Pro monitor) over an F8500 if i wanted the best picture quality.

You might want to consider just buying now so that you can have the TV exchanged if you happen to get a buzzer on the first (or 2nd or 3rd) delivery until you get a quiet unit.

BTW your all-black text in your post up top is completely invisible to us members who use the AVS-Dark theme on our browsers

Stereodude's Avatar Stereodude
09:00 AM Liked: 633
post #5 of 13
07-10-2014 | Posts: 10,132
I think the better question for anyone asking about how long they'll be available is...

If you want one, why are you trying to wait as long as possible before buying one?

Is there some sort of award you get if you're the last customer to buy? If anything, I'd think you wouldn't want the last of them since they're using up the last of the supply and they might be willing to let things slide that they wouldn't have months earlier.
edpowers's Avatar edpowers
09:08 AM Liked: 24
post #6 of 13
07-10-2014 | Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Being very familiar with most of the older Panasonic Pro models as compared to my GT50 and ST60, i'd say the F8500 is much better in pretty much every picture quality category than your old Pro model. No way would i pick an old 2004 Pro monitor (or any other Pro monitor) over an F8500 if i wanted the best picture quality.

You might want to consider just buying now so that you can have the TV exchanged if you happen to get a buzzer on the first (or 2nd or 3rd) delivery until you get a quiet unit.
I agree. I have a Pioneer Kuro KRP-500m, a Panasonic ST60 and a Panny Pro 9UK. Both the Kuro and ST60 blow away the old Panny pro 9UK in the PQ department. The F8500 is a huge upgrade over the 6UY. No reviewer would give the 6UY a 9 out of 10 in 2014. There are $700 50" LCD LED TVs that can produce better black levels and contrast than the 6UY. I love my 9UK and it really was top notch for its day but those days are LONG GONE. Compared to the newest plasmas (or the Kuro), the 9UK looks totally washed out. In fact, I will likely replace my old 9UK with a new $700 VIZIO M492i-B2 in the very near future. And I haven't even mentioned 720p vs 1080p.
p5browne's Avatar p5browne
06:53 PM Liked: 204
post #7 of 13
07-12-2014 | Posts: 4,012
I thought CP already gave a warning that the 51" had already disappeared?
Re November - would this be to make the last units available for the Christmas Season?
Many Members have complained about the 60" having the most buzzing issues?
wxman's Avatar wxman
07:02 PM Liked: 243
post #8 of 13
07-12-2014 | Posts: 1,852
I would get one sooner than later. Not that they will run out tomorrow, but what if you get one 6 months from now, and something breaks 6 months down the road. Will the store you bought it from have any replacements, or will you be stuck getting an LED as a replacement? If a tv is going to break, it usually fails early.
07:06 PM Liked: 633
post #9 of 13
07-12-2014 | Posts: 10,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
I thought CP already gave a warning that the 51" had already disappeared?
Re November - would this be to make the last units available for the Christmas Season?
Many Members have complained about the 60" having the most buzzing issues?
CP / CAV said the 51" was already gone. However, it's still readily available from most other places. I'd guess the F8500's will be gone well before Nov. 30th (excluding the over MSRP ones).
05:37 AM Liked: 633
post #10 of 13
07-13-2014 | Posts: 10,132
We have our first report that Samsung is unable to fill 64" F8500 orders to retailers. Samsung still shows the 64" in stock for purchase directly from them though.
RWetmore's Avatar RWetmore
06:51 AM Liked: 81
post #11 of 13
07-13-2014 | Posts: 3,295
I wouldn't hesitate -- I would buy now if you really want one.
p5browne's Avatar p5browne
10:19 AM Liked: 204
post #12 of 13
07-13-2014 | Posts: 4,012
He who hesitates is lost! (or in this case: misses out!)
turnne1's Avatar turnne1
10:01 AM Liked: 148
post #13 of 13
07-23-2014 | Posts: 3,995
I noticed ABC warehouse...for those in the upper midwest that have location...have already got them clearance on their website

likely store displays...but it looks every store in the chain has at least one

Warren
Gear in this thread - f8500 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread