Found a New Panasonic VT60 but there's one issue... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-11-2014, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Found a New Panasonic VT60 but there's one issue...

So I'm the market for a new display and while searching through Best Buy today i found a Panny P55VT60 at an excellent price (smaller than the 60-65" i wanted but the PQ is insane). The only problem is that the display was used as a floor model unit and has acquired some iR from about 4-6 months of mild abuse. My question is: is the iR on the 2013 VT60 reversible or should I compromise for the lower quality LED sets that are out now?

no fanboying please.

Last edited by griffin86; 07-11-2014 at 11:15 PM. Reason: minor grammatical errors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-11-2014, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
store demo IR is always a risky proposition imo. i'd want to see it in person first, and see if it bothered me.

that being said, 'lower quality LED' shouldn't be plan B, or plan C for that matter. heck, I'm not sure i'd even consider it an option, period.

should the vt60 not work out for you, I would look at, in order:
-Samsung f8500 plasma
-Samsung f5300 plasma
-Samsung h5000 plasma
-any LG plasma(not familiar enough with their line)
-just about any functioning used plasma you can get from kijiji or craigslist, etc
-a good quality FALD led
-a good quality LED with local dimming
-installing a window where your tv used to be and hoping something interesting happens outside
-a cheap edgelit led with no dimming
post #3 of 9 Old 07-11-2014, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 22
It might be reversible, but probably not to 100%. Cleaning up one's own mess is one thing, cleaning up that made by a separate entity and not being aware of the specific mechanism that caused it is quite another. To add to the above list (because a good quality FALD LED will be fairly costly in and of itself), you should be able to locate a used LG 55EA900 (OLED) by now (as well as new from some scalpers on Ebay who grabbed them from Microcenter's recent sale). Definitely no reason not to consider it.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-12-2014, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmm thanks for chiming in... back in the day I would go for it and see if the iR would subside but my call is that it would Zero W.A.F. until it clears up. in that case I'll be taking a look at the Samsung F8500 plasma and F8000 LED to see if it will suffice.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-12-2014, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 128
While the VT60's (and ZT series) sets are hard to find, minimalists can still find the Panasonic Broadcast BT300-series displays out there, which I think are extremely good if you calibrate them correctly. These are still widely used for mastering network shows and Blu-ray transfers in LA and NY.

I have a Panasonic TH-42BT300 myself that I use for mastering in my small post house, and it's been a champ. There's zero features -- just one HDMI input, no smart TV features, no speakers, no tuner, no nothing -- but if you use it with an outboard HDMI switcher, I think it could work for some setups.

The trick with the BT300 is to dig deep into the menus and turn a lot of the power-saving, pixel-shifting stuff off. Once you do all that, the picture can be surprisingly good. The 42" model is still available (brand-new) from B&H Photo for about $1600, which is about half of what they used to sell for a couple of years ago. I have no connection to the company except as a satisfied customer.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-13-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie_RIP View Post
It might be reversible, but probably not to 100%. Cleaning up one's own mess is one thing, cleaning up that made by a separate entity and not being aware of the specific mechanism that caused it is quite another. To add to the above list (because a good quality FALD LED will be fairly costly in and of itself), you should be able to locate a used LG 55EA900 (OLED) by now (as well as new from some scalpers on Ebay who grabbed them from Microcenter's recent sale). Definitely no reason not to consider it.
I still don't know where to rank that on my list though. I could see it going anywhere from top of the list before the f8500, to just before the FALD LED. we finally got some on display here, but I haven't made the trek to go play with one yet(I prefer going to the store my friend works at so I can actually fiddle in peace, haha)
post #7 of 9 Old 07-13-2014, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 22
G'wan...your thoughts would be most revealing. Hope it's in a room with minimal lighting! No way no how should it place below any old plasma...that's crazy talk!
post #8 of 9 Old 07-13-2014, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
While the VT60's (and ZT series) sets are hard to find, minimalists can still find the Panasonic Broadcast BT300-series displays out there, which I think are extremely good if you calibrate them correctly. These are still widely used for mastering network shows and Blu-ray transfers in LA and NY.

I have a Panasonic TH-42BT300 myself that I use for mastering in my small post house, and it's been a champ. There's zero features -- just one HDMI input, no smart TV features, no speakers, no tuner, no nothing -- but if you use it with an outboard HDMI switcher, I think it could work for some setups.

The trick with the BT300 is to dig deep into the menus and turn a lot of the power-saving, pixel-shifting stuff off. Once you do all that, the picture can be surprisingly good. The 42" model is still available (brand-new) from B&H Photo for about $1600, which is about half of what they used to sell for a couple of years ago. I have no connection to the company except as a satisfied customer.
How clean is the BT300 compared to other plasmas you have seen?

I have two PF30s 42" and 50", I wonder if you are familar with those
post #9 of 9 Old 07-13-2014, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadThunder View Post
How clean is the BT300 compared to other plasmas you have seen?
It's great, among the last plasmas Panasonic made. I believe the one I have is dated 2012. Bear in mind this is a pro broadcast monitor and not a TV set. The fact that you can kill all the Energy Star stuff and avoid a lot of ABL problems helps quite a bit.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page