60"+ Plasma as PC monitor(input lag/burn in a concern?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-12-2014, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
60"+ Plasma as PC monitor(input lag/burn in a concern?)

So looking around for a new TV that i mostly use with an HTPC (gaming/web browsing/etc) and its always been LCD. But LCDs have their own problems so i'm trying to figure out if a plasma would do. Every time i see one the picture quality (to me) is easily 2x better than any LCD. Just never bought it due to burn in.

So question is who's used one with a PC and what kind of problems were you running into. Was input lag an issue? how about burn in from the constant windows/browser stuff ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-12-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I wouldn't get a plasma as a PC monitor. Because of the way they work, full screen whites will be dinner than content with less white (some plasmas are dimmer than others). This isn't necessarily a big concern with video content because it's pretty rare to have any scene that's that bright. Web browsing, however, involves a LOT of white.

If it's going to be used for video content 90% of the time, sure, go for plasma. I would specifically look at the samsung f8500, as it's the brightest one available. If it's more like 50-50, LCD is probably a better choice.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-12-2014, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I use one daily its a 42" Panasonic professional monitor built in 2012, only use it because my CRTs are aged and I refuse to use LCD after years of problems/dissapointments, despite not having any issues I would probably not recommend someone to use a plasma in that way, all products have a life span and it is pretty wasteful to do everything on the plasma despite how nice it looks keep the thing for gaming and movies and you will appreciate even more when you do use it

Input lag varies from set to set but all the monitors I have tried have been around one frame(16ms) and should beat out the fastest televisions by a fraction because you can easily disable all processing

I would recommend the Panasonic 65PB2U which is unbelievably cheap at the moment and might actually best the 65ST60 as it was based on that model, worst case it matches it but my gut says it is an upgrade

edit: if you are paranoid about burn-in here are some advice from another post of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by .
1) download a few wallpaper packs and have the background change often (every 5-10 minutes)
2) hide the taskbar
3) use the televisions built in pixel orbiter
4) do not max out contrast when web browsing and similar things (you are just aging the panel for really no good reason)
5) run in the panel for 10-20 hours before using as a monitor

Last edited by ChadThunder; 07-12-2014 at 06:45 PM.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-12-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadThunder View Post
I would recommend the Panasonic 65PB2U which is unbelievably cheap at the moment and might actually best the 65ST60 as it was based on that model, worst case it matches it but my gut says it is an upgrade
Since when is $2200 unbelievably cheap?
post #5 of 7 Old 07-12-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Since when is $2200 unbelievably cheap?
I saw $1800 somewhere, that is cheap in my book considering pro models can go brighter, are built to last and come with a 2 year warranty

Vendors are selling the same model for $5000 in other regions
post #6 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Why does it weigh almost double that of the 65ST60? Is the touchscreen really that heavy?

Last edited by StinDaWg; 07-13-2014 at 02:35 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 02:53 AM

double front glass adds alot of weight, I assume there is no touch screen it should work by light detection like the other models
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - f8500, by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page