AVS Forum banner

Any differences between the Samsung F8500 60" and 64" models?

2K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  TahoeDust 
#1 ·
Besides the 4 extra inches on the 64? Any significant differences in panel type, pixel structure, etc? Trying to decide if the extra 4 inches is worth the ~$600+ price difference between the two. Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Generally, the smaller the plasma screen, the greater the light output. It would be more noticeable between the 51 inch model and 64 inch model, than it would be between the 60 inch and 64 inch model. The 64 inch is plenty bright, and calibrated with a cell light of 20 produced around 52fl on my tv, more than enough to burn your eyes! :)

#5 ·
nothing out of the ordinary. like you'd expect, the larger screen sizes will use more energy, weigh more, probably won't be as bright, and may have better blacks(also because they aren't as bright).

I feel that 60" models have a higher number of reports of buzzing simply because it's the most common size purchased.

Reactions: Straybeat
#8 ·
I certainly can't make that decision for you, but if you can get the larger size that is the best decision. The number one post purchase regret is usually screen size. I really didn't buy into that until I bought a 65" set it does make a big difference in viewing experience imo

#15 ·
Thanks for the clarification. I got nervous there when pentile was mentioned. Thanks again.
I'm coming from a Pioneer 5020FD. I love the picture on my pioneer but I am really craving a larger screen size. I am sitting about 11-12' away from the screen. Will the F8500 be a nice upgrade from the 5020?

#16 ·
Read the f8500 buzzing thread from start to finish and you'll be scared off the 60 inch model with good reason I think, there were people in there that had bad buzzing on 60 inch models (plural due to multiple exchanges) and then went to the 64 and said it was noticeably quieter with regards to buzzing. I have a 64 inch and the buzzing is there but unless I turn my head to listen for it with the sound down I don't hear it so it's not problem but apparently people with a 60 inch could hear it all around the tv with the volume at normal levels

#20 ·
You guys are very fortunate, I did not have the same experience with my 4 (yes, FOUR) 64F8500s. I ordered mine some time ago when Paul's TV was running their smokin' deal and very much wanted to love the set. Paul's was excellent about multiple returns, but after the fourth TV buzzed excessively I had to simply give up. I was hoping getting TVs from other areas might fix the problem (find a "good batch") but when all of them shipped from different states, I was discouraged. The first unit arrived damaged and I never really bothered with even checking on the buzzing, but the next three buzzed enough to literally give me headaches. The second unit I set up and kept long enough to see if the buzzing would diminish. It did not.

The TVs were set up in a guest bedroom (about 10'x10') with a viewing distance of about 8'. The set was obviously plenty bright and the blacks were very good, although slightly disappointing. (My main set is an Elite 70X5FD. Maybe that's why.) The heat was also enough to make the room too hot, so I would recommend keeping it in a bigger room if you do get one. The TV did produce an overall excellent picture and I would certainly have kept it if not for the buzzing. Hopefully you fair better than I did.

Good luck.

#23 ·
Keep in mind that those with excessive buzzing are more likely to post to that thread. Others, like me, don't have excessive buzzing and don't go there to complain. It's possible that there are many more who buy the 60" and that's why there are more complaints of buzzing with that size. Overall, the excessively buzzing sets may be a small fraction of the total sold. My set is a recent build (May 2014) and may have been improved in this regard by Samsung, but also maybe not since my minimal buzzing seems to be in line with what others have reported previously.

I agree that you should go for the larger size if possible. I would have except for the WAF I had to deal with.

#24 ·
I really think it's a crapshoot. I am now on my fourth 60" F8500. The three I had previously all buzzed to about the same level. It was loud enough to be annoying even over fairly high volumes (probably because of the pitch cutting through the other audio). But this fourth one barely buzzes at all! It's only a kind of low hum audible with the volume off or low from a fairly short distance, rather than the 'fly zapper' buzz the others had. I had thought all the F8500s probably buzzed and that it was more down to hearing and room layout than anything else, but obviously I was wrong. Unfortunately a 1/4 success rate is pretty bad and most people will not be able to go through multiple units until they find a good one, particularly with production now having stopped.

I don't think manufacture date has much to do with it either - this one is from way back in June 2013.

#25 ·
I really think it's a crapshoot. I am now on my fourth 60" F8500. The three I had previously all buzzed to about the same level. It was loud enough to be annoying even over fairly high volumes (probably because of the pitch cutting through the other audio). But this fourth one barely buzzes at all! It's only a kind of low hum audible with the volume off or low from a fairly short distance, rather than the 'fly zapper' buzz the others had. I had thought all the F8500s probably buzzed and that it was more down to hearing and room layout than anything else, but obviously I was wrong. Unfortunately a 1/4 success rate is pretty bad and most people will not be able to go through multiple units until they find a good one, particularly with production now having stopped.

I don't think manufacture date has much to do with it either - this one is from way back in June 2013.
I thought production ends in November. I'm not sure how that translates to when inventory dwindles with retailers though.

I'm currently trying to sell my 60PNE7000 so as not to miss out on the F8500.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.