Countering pink-tint on my F5300 with slides - Dumb idea? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 77 Old 07-29-2014, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
tom669,

Would the green tint I have on my screen be correctable with adjustments made to Vs? I have a green tint on the left side of the screen and pink across the bottom of the whole screen and the right side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 07-29-2014, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
tom669,

Would the green tint I have on my screen be correctable with adjustments made to Vs? I have a green tint on the left side of the screen and pink across the bottom of the whole screen and the right side.
Is this a Samsung or Panasonic panel? As has been shown here, it's not always possible to predict what a voltage change will do. I can make suggestions based on my experiences, but no guarantees.
post #63 of 77 Old 07-29-2014, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Hi tom, thanks for the info. What does maldischarge look like? Is it similar to the random RGB noise on black screens that you typically have but more pronounced. I did notice a decent amount of green dancing around on a black screen the other night but I'm not sure if it was always like that or whether it is an effect of dropping Ve down.

PS - Can dropping Ve like I did , along with low Vs damage the panel in any way or should I be okay to operate as is if I'm happy with the picture quality?
Maldischarge is different - It's usually not evenly distributed and is visible on darker scenes even with brightness at zero. I suspect you're either seeing dithering, or Samsung's selective cell reset technology which lowers black level but can create a slight dithering effect in dark rooms. Maldischarge usually tends to follow pixels which have been previously lit - like IR but more random and short term.

There should be no harm from lower Ve or Vs, although it's possible that in a couple of years time you may find you have to increase the voltages if you notice other symptoms. However I would be surprised if this is even necessary.
post #64 of 77 Old 07-29-2014, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post
Is this a Samsung or Panasonic panel? As has been shown here, it's not always possible to predict what a voltage change will do. I can make suggestions based on my experiences, but no guarantees.
It's a Samsung 60F5500 Plasma.
post #65 of 77 Old 07-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
It's a Samsung 60F5500 Plasma.
From what we've seen I think you'll be able to get rid of the pink but I'm not certain the green will go.
post #66 of 77 Old 07-29-2014, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Black Optimizer and impact on Vs / Ve

I noticed a weird artifact a couple of times over the past few days and I was finally able to isolate it and obtain it reproducibly. Essentially, if I have a portion of the display showing black, and then I suddenly flash up a white/bright image/window, I can see that the individual pixels start turning on in a random fashion and it was taking ~ 1s for all the pixels to turn on. What this meant is that within that 1 sec, some pixels were still black, and this can be a bit distracting at times, though difficult to spot. If you have an HTPC hooked up to your TV, just set your wallpaper to black and drag a white window around to see what I'm talking about.

It turns out that higher Vs and Ve lowers the time for the pixels to turn on but doesn't completely alleviate the issue. So as a compromise, I went back to the spec level of Ve but I have kept Vs at 197V as it really does help considerably with the red tint.

After I closed the TV back up, it occurred to me that this issue might infact be caused by the black optimizer function. I know that typically, Plasma's need to keep each pixel primed which is why black screens still have some RGB noise to them. I suspected that the Black optimizer was reducing this effect, with the side-effect of it taking a bit longer to fire pixels back up when changing from black to an "on" state.

Sure enough, setting black optimizer to Off resolves this issue. I've decided to stick to the off setting for now. My black level reading goes up from 0.003-0.004fL to 0.005fL, so it isn't too bad.
RyanHomsey likes this.
post #67 of 77 Old 07-30-2014, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Hope you get around to watching TV someday.
post #68 of 77 Old 07-30-2014, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchancetodream View Post
Hope you get around to watching TV someday.
. I have family visiting a few days from now, so I wanted to finish any last tweaks before I finally put in all the screws on the back panel and stop obsessing with the red-tint . Jury is still out if dropping Ve had any benefit when it comes to red-tint. I'll evaluate for a couple of days and if it seems like setting it back to factory specs did not make any observable difference, I'll just stick with how things are right now...low Vs and stock Ve.
post #69 of 77 Old 07-30-2014, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
. I have family visiting a few days from now, so I wanted to finish any last tweaks before I finally put in all the screws on the back panel and stop obsessing with the red-tint . Jury is still out if dropping Ve had any benefit when it comes to red-tint. I'll evaluate for a couple of days and if it seems like setting it back to factory specs did not make any observable difference, I'll just stick with how things are right now...low Vs and stock Ve.

Dude don't make excuses for tinkering with your tv. We need people like you tinkering otherwise no one would ever have any diy mods to fix issues like this.
post #70 of 77 Old 08-06-2014, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Just a follow up based on something I noticed yesterday - It appears that when the panel is driven harder, the red tint issue becomes more pronounced.

As I wrote in posts earlier, dropping Vs definitely reduced the red-tint issue on my panel. I calibrated my TV in Movie mode with max brightness of ~35fL for 100% white windows. However, for daytime viewing, I use Standard mode (Max brightness of ~50fL) and a Gamma of +1 or +2 to compensate for ambient light. The panel is driven much harder as a result, and I noticed that after ~30 minutes of viewing at these settings, a full white image had noticably more pronounced red-tint issues. Switching back to Movie mode got rid of the issue.
post #71 of 77 Old 08-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

I noticed this too on the D450. On 3D mode, the red tint was pretty pronounced but only on full white. The panel does go up in brightness when showing 3D content. I had to set Vs at 217V, well away from the stock 205V, to get rid of the red tint. Lowering it made it worse and also presented a field of dead pixels. I think it's really odd that your panel works the other way; there might be something else that we're missing.
post #72 of 77 Old 08-06-2014, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense to me either why lowering voltage would help with my panel. I wish there was someone else with the F5300 who tries tweaking voltages to address the pink tint issue.
post #73 of 77 Old 08-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Could it be one of the boards (Y,sustain etc)gone bad that cause horizontal or vertical bars through the screen(a common plasma issue)when it's on light screens and panning?

For reducing red push Does Anyone know if there's a difference between changing VS voltage pot ,and the Contrast and or White balance adjustments?

Last edited by Vic12345; 08-13-2014 at 01:32 PM.
post #74 of 77 Old 08-20-2014, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Red push - isn't that what the Flesh Tone control is for? Or maybe in service menu adjust red gain?
post #75 of 77 Old 09-02-2014, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

I would only use flesh tone if one has a meter.Ive lowered gains a little in service menu.I don't think it does much but yours maybe different..If I lower vs pot too specs I get more dirty screen on panning.I have too play with vs pot more too figure the pink coloring issue.Every adjustment effects something in one way or another. Edit I think mine may get more pink tint color problems with vs voltage increase, but I will have too recheck this.Ill repost but it may be a few days.

Last edited by Vic12345; 09-02-2014 at 11:27 PM.
post #76 of 77 Old 09-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Long story short I've had pink discolorng ever since I adjusted vs pot without a meter...........I put up an all white screen for a few minutes with tv well warmed up and set too sticker values except vsc is 2 volts low and ve is 1/2 volt high.There is no pot adjuster for ve.Seemed what helped reduce random pink(and some green) discolored areas was lowering vsc which automatically lowered ve............The first time set vs,va,vsc too sticker values with ve 1 volt high had random pink(and green) areas.Although I was not using an all white screen or as warm of a tv with "first adjustments"................at least so far I think it's better.

Last edited by Vic12345; 09-03-2014 at 10:03 PM.
post #77 of 77 Old 09-05-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Have you tried lowering contrast to see if the issue is really color shifting at high apl scenes due to a contrast setting that is okay for low to Mid apl scenes but too high for high apl scenes?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - f5300 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page