If given the choice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-21-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question If given the choice

Would you buy a cheaper Panasonic plasma over a LED [ Samsung, not its high end 8500, more like a 5300, OR LG LED- similar to the 5300]

I forgot what the bad qualities of this set was, It's a U50 [ 60"] but I love my st30 , Is the U50 a big mistake? Should I go back to looking at LED's? [ looking for a second set] The price is almost the same as a 55" Samsung LED [ Not a smart TV, that would have tipped the scale a bit.] I guess I can't use Netflix if it has no Ethernet port, right?

Any opinion would be helpful, I need to decide pretty quickly though

Thanks!

tvaddicted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked: 936
if plasma is ever an option, it's always the answer...

I only have two plasmas here, and have more LCD's, but in those situations I need smaller screens, or want to abuse them a little more, so plasma's weren't practical/possible.

so yeah, I would take the panny plasma over a new LED for sure. assuming that it's going to be used in a situation that's suitable for plasma(like where image quality matters the most)

but why not get a new Samsung plasma? if you have the money for a new LED, a new plasma from Samsung would be the best of both. you'll get that great plasma picture, but still have new tv features and warranty. while I would take the old panny plasma over a new LED, I wouldn't take it over a new Samsung plasma.
gus738, Straybeat and KONICA TECH like this.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 73
^ Can't be said much better than that.

Only thing I'll add, not having a smart tv is not a big deal... $60-$80 gets you a BD-player with Smart features... takes care of that.
gus738 and KONICA TECH like this.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
post #4 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
if plasma is ever an option, it's always the answer...

I only have two plasmas here, and have more LCD's, but in those situations I need smaller screens, or want to abuse them a little more, so plasma's weren't practical/possible.

so yeah, I would take the panny plasma over a new LED for sure. assuming that it's going to be used in a situation that's suitable for plasma(like where image quality matters the most)

but why not get a new Samsung plasma? if you have the money for a new LED, a new plasma from Samsung would be the best of both. you'll get that great plasma picture, but still have new tv features and warranty. while I would take the old panny plasma over a new LED, I wouldn't take it over a new Samsung plasma.

Well, what I'm looking at is under 1k.

Id be good with a 50 or 55", so what Sammy model do you recommend? I see a lot of Sammy LED's. Not plasma so much.

tvaddicted
post #5 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post

Only thing I'll add, not having a smart tv is not a big deal... $60-$80 gets you a BD-player with Smart features... takes care of that.

I see you have a s60.

Any issues?

Yes, I forgot about a blue ray hook up. thanks, tho.

tvaddicted
post #6 of 12 Old 07-23-2014, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvaddicted View Post
Well, what I'm looking at is under 1k.

Id be good with a 50 or 55", so what Sammy model do you recommend? I see a lot of Sammy LED's. Not plasma so much.
when you say good with 50 or 55" is that min, max, or just what you guess you can afford?

the f5300 plasma comes to mind, it's way under 1grand if you're buying the 51" model. but I think you should be able to find the 60" for less than a grand as well. the f5500 should also be in that price range, but gets you 3D if you want it.

don't take this the wrong way, I obviously don't know your situation or your preferences, so this is just a comment on what I've found works for me. but I feel buying a tv at the 1000 price point to be a poor long term decision. it's still a lot of money, so it's not a throwaway item you can afford to replace in a year, but it's also not enough money to get a really good tv that you're going to be happy with for the next 5years. I've found, that if I buy a cheaper tv(like 1000bux in todays market) I'm left dissatisfied with it a few months after purchase, and spend the next 3yrs wishing I spent more money as I save up for a replacement. on the other hand, if I spend a little more, and buy one of the top end TV's(unfortunately the only one still left is the f8500), I'm not only super thrilled with it when new, but I'm actually still really impressed with it years later.

my brother bought a high end CRT RPTV around 2004, and there's only been a handful of TV's I've seen since that were even as good, let alone better than it. that tv lasted nearly 10yrs, and I'd say I was thrilled with it's PQ for almost all of them. on the other hand, I bought a Samsung plasma in 2008 or 2009 for about a grand that was not only inferior in PQ to the RPTV, but also very quickly surpassed in quality by even the cheapest TV's on the market the next year. I didn't even get 1yr of satisfaction from that tv. so when the time came to buy a new one last year, I opted for the best I could find, which ended up being the f8500. a year later, I certainly don't regret it, if anything I wish I spent more and got the zt60. for me it's the difference between wasting 1000bux or 3grand spent well.

basically what it boils down to(for me), is that it's cheaper to buy a great TV once every 5-8yrs than it is to buy an average tv every 2-3yrs. and as a bonus, the 'expensive' tv is usually better for that entire 5-8yrs. just ask the kuro guys.

in the long run it's always better to buy quality. this is true of TV's, tools, cars, plumbers, or whatever. if you spend a little more upfront, you spend less down the road. assuming you do your research and actually get quality for that money, sometimes that's not always the case anymore.
gus738 likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-23-2014, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I actually wasn't even thinking about that when I said 'new tv features', but this is still a valid point. you can get a simple usb dongle for even less that adds smart features too. the options are pretty plentiful these days.

what I was thinking about more was stuff like 3D(if you're into that), as well as some more basic stuff like frame interpolation(again if you like that) and specifically with Samsung the black optimizer that really does help with dark scenes imo. I'm not familiar with the older panny in question either, so there could be some improvements in calibration options as well? the point was to keep the option open, it's not like a new plasma costs more than a new led, and I'd take a new plasma over a new led at any price point
post #8 of 12 Old 07-23-2014, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvaddicted View Post
I see you have a s60.

Any issues?

Yes, I forgot about a blue ray hook up. thanks, tho.

My S60 has been flawless. Once I got to around 1000 hours, the black level got noticeably better as well. My only real legit complaint would be the speed with which the simplified smart apps load. I use Netflix and it takes longer than I'd like for it to load up and get going.. not the end of the world, but irritating at times.
dmtaub likes this.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
post #9 of 12 Old 07-23-2014, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
My S60 has been flawless. Once I got to around 1000 hours, the black level got noticeably better as well. My only real legit complaint would be the speed with which the simplified smart apps load. I use Netflix and it takes longer than I'd like for it to load up and get going.. not the end of the world, but irritating at times.
I agree with Jason. I picked up a 50" S60 as a floor model with about 2500hrs on it. It is flawless. Black levels are spectacular. As he mentioned, Netflix takes forever to load, but other than that, tv is great for the bedroom.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-30-2014, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

I should have mentioned this is a second tv for the bedroom.

I have a 50"st30 with a great picture.

The U50 is 60 inch, so the st30 would have to go into the bedroom.

I haven't seen many led's I like so far.

tvaddicted
post #11 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 04:05 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 114
If you can go for an U50, why not? Black level similiar to the S60, good PQ, the U50's only downside compared to your ST30 may be an absence of AR filter.

You can also go with the Samsung F5300 plasma and it will still be better than any edge-lit LCDs you can buy. If you can spring for the H5000, even better, as it will give you black the U50 has, but with 25% better ABL than my Panasonic S60 has. I'm also thinking of switching to the H5000. I love almost everything about my S60, except for motion handling and ABL, so any improvement in ABL would be welcome.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I would take most plasma over almost any LCD

Comparing the two you mentioned the ST30 has better motion handling (faster phosphor and subfield processor) but the U50 might be a little darker from what i've seen

Color gradation should be similar to the X3, X30, U30, S30, X60, S60 etc as they all work off the same core chip
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - f5300 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page