Pn60f5300 keep or return? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By SoonerTheBetter
  • 1 Post By tom669
  • 2 Post By orion2001
  • 1 Post By Lyons

post #1 of 20 Old 07-22-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Pn60f5300 keep or return?

I need some advice. I have a pn60f5300 and so far I do like it but I wasn't happy an. Found out it had a pentile display. From what I notice it doesn't seem quite as clear as a normal display but maybe that's because I'm not used to a 64"screen from 9 feet away. As far as the pink issue I don't notice it at all really I'm not even sure if mine has it. A pure white screen has a grayish tint but I don't see spots of pink. Perhaps it may have a slight slight unnoticeable tint but it's not uneven or on the right side like many have described.

Do you guys think it would be worth the hassle to pay around $1400 for the pn64f5300? Is the clarity of the screen better on this model due to the non pentile display? Will the whites be more white and less gray? I know this model doesn't have the pink issue but honestly I don't think my pn60 has the pink issue either, if it does it's incredibly faint and even across the entire screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-22-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
IMO, I would only exchange it if it had the tint issue or you wanted four more inches. I have a 60 inch 5300 and I have no problem with the pentile display.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-22-2014, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

I can't tell if it has the pink issue. Sometimes I think I see it but then I look for it and I can't find it. It's like I'm trying to find it and I can't put my finger on it but sometimes I think I see it but I try and focus on it and I can't tell if it's doing it. Is this pink issue something that gets worse with time? Is there easier ways of identifying it?

I have almost 200 hours on the set.

Any other comments? Does the normal 1080p have better clarity than the pentile display 60" from 9ft away?
post #4 of 20 Old 07-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 131
To see pink tint you really need full white. You can either load an image onto a USB stick and play it through there, or you can try watching hockey or skiing.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-22-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post
To see pink tint you really need full white. You can either load an image onto a USB stick and play it through there, or you can try watching hockey or skiing.

I have break in slides with white and I pause it on the white slide and like I said before I can't notice anything. Sometimes I kind f see a pinkish tint but I can't rly identify it. I can't tell if it's my brain just looking for it or not. I can't spot it out and if I glance at it or ask someone else no one sees pink.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-22-2014, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Also I have the pn60f5300a 2013 model and I don't notice a pink issue sometimes I'm trying to look for it and I think I might see it but I can't put my finger on it and it doesn't seem like the right side is any diff from the left.

Do the 2013 models not suffer from this?
post #7 of 20 Old 07-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I say if you dont have the pink tint issue and actually like the set, by all means keep it!

The pentile display AFAIK is to reduce power consumption--a good thing. If the giant 64" is full HD, I bet it sucks some power and puts out some heat, because the 51" gets pretty warm.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-23-2014, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Would you say this has any pink issue? Again at first glance I can't see anything but if I look for it I might see it but I think i can't tell

When I do the scrolling test it seems like I see some pink within the gray almost like bands, but not in the actual brightest white part of it at the very very end. Could this be from the gray scale being off most likely?
post #9 of 20 Old 07-23-2014, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons View Post
Would you say this has any pink issue? Again at first glance I can't see anything but if I look for it I might see it but I think i can't tell
I see some pink on the left and right edge of the screen...more prominent on the left. That being said...if you don't notice it, you really shouldn't worry about it. It also might be that the camera exacerbates it, and that with normal viewing it is not noticeable. I find that the best way to notice the pink issue is to view a large black and white image or movie still. Your eye will pick up any color cast very easily in such situations.

Try a bunch of images from here: Google Image Search
post #10 of 20 Old 07-23-2014, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah it's weird that I see it more on the scrolling in the grayish shades not in the white
post #11 of 20 Old 07-23-2014, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Upon viewing some black and white images again I still can't rly tell if I'm seeing the pink or not. Part of me sees it but I'm not sure if my brain is creating it or it's actually there. My girlfriend has the same experience when I asked her

post #12 of 20 Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Looks pink to me.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-23-2014, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Looks pink to me.

Both pictures you think? It's really hard for me to tell but I kind of see it at times but it's pretty damn faint. Is it safe to say I have a light case if anything?

I can get the 64" model but for a substantial amount more, would it be worth it? Plus I have 250 hours on this tv already I would hate to have to burn in a new one but I will if the 64" will be much more uniform.
post #14 of 20 Old 07-24-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Both pictures you think? It's really hard for me to tell but I kind of see it at times but it's pretty damn faint. Is it safe to say I have a light case if anything?

I can get the 64" model but for a substantial amount more, would it be worth it? Plus I have 250 hours on this tv already I would hate to have to burn in a new one but I will if the 64" will be much more uniform.
Ya, mine looks the same on an all white screen, but during normal content it's not really noticeable. For the price I paid on mine ($580) I'll live with it. I'm not paying 2-3x more for 4 more inches. I'll put that money towards an OLED in a few years and retire this to the bedroom.

Quote:
Try a bunch of images from here: Google Image Search
I looked at about 50 of those images and only noticed pink on 2 or 3. I really don't think it is an issue unless you are looking at a full white screen or web browsing. I have a feeling those people who are saying they don't see pink are just watching normal content where it is not noticeable. If you threw up a full white screen I doubt you could find a set that doesn't exhibit this issue to some degree. I also find that the longer the tv is running the more noticeable and widespread the pink becomes on the screen. Maybe after the panel has aged for a few thousand hours, it will go away, who knows. I've already noticed buzzing getting lower after 400 hours. When I first got it, it was unbearable, now it's just that typical annoying plasma buzz that has been on every set I've ever owned.

The blacks on this set are so inky when there is any amount of light on screen, I can't imagine how good OLED looks. These images appear pitch black on my screen...

Anything but the highest of the high end full array local dimming lcds will exhibit blooming on these photos.

Last edited by StinDaWg; 07-24-2014 at 06:53 AM.
post #15 of 20 Old 07-24-2014, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a slight pink hue as well (60") (I almost returned it because I was so upset but then I slept on it and actually thought about what I got for the price) and can notice the display if i'm closer then where my seats are currently located. I figure at the price point, I can't beat it. I calibrated it with some settings I found on here, then used my Disney WOW to really dial it in.

The pink is not noticeable at all during normal playback (maybe I got a good one)? The display is fine as long as your far enough away. I just added some bias lighting to it yesterday and I love it. The picture is excellent. Play some HQ Youtube videos (usually 4k but only stream 1080P), and you'll be blown away.

I don't plan on upgrading until a 4k projector can come in around $3,000.
post #16 of 20 Old 07-24-2014, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

I can get the 64" for 1400 but pay it over 6 months. Do you guys think that would be worth it or no?
post #17 of 20 Old 07-24-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can get the 64" for 1400 but pay it over 6 months. Do you guys think that would be worth it or no?
64F5300 or 64H5000? I have seen the 64H5000 go for as low as $1200. I would not pay $1400 for either model though. If the pink tint doesn't bother you that much, and you are satisfied with 60", I wouldn't pay $700 more for 4 more inches.
post #18 of 20 Old 07-24-2014, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Only you can decide for yourself whether paying roughly double the price is worth it for 4" of additional screen, better screen uniformity, and a non-pentile panel.

For me, at my viewing distance / very slight pink tint that's mostly unnoticeable, it's not.
post #19 of 20 Old 07-24-2014, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 308
If it doesn;t bother you and you don't notice it, why would you want to stretch yourself and spend 2X on a slightly larger TV with a slightly better panel/uniformity? I'd personally recommended keeping this TV and setting the extra money aside for the next OLED upgrade or just to put away in the bank for a rainy day.
StinDaWg and RyanHomsey like this.
post #20 of 20 Old 07-24-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I might just keep my current tv and spend the money on a i1 pro.
RyanHomsey likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page