Cleaning Plasma tv screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Cleaning Plasma tv screen

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean a plasma tv screen. I think my tv has the anti reflection thing. Im not sure. Its the samsung pn51f5300.
I tried water in a tiny spot but it left streaks now im wondering if anyone knows a good product maybe on amazon? Something safe for plasma tv screens with the anti reflection. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Never use products on your display as they can ruin the AR coating.

I use 2 microfiber cloths, one damp (water + few drops of mild detergent, squeezed so it's damp not wet) and one dry, important that your display is cool, so clean it when it's not been used for a number of hours.

Wipe over with the damp cloth, rubbing gently to remove any spots or grease marks, then buff with the dry cloth and it'll be clean and mark free!
KONICA TECH and rcapprotti like this.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Buy a jug of distilled water from your local supermarket - spray on, wipe with microfiber. Streak free and wont harm the surface.
KONICA TECH likes this.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had and used for the first time after a recent move some eye glasses cleaner with the supplied micro fiber cloth on my Sammy plasma with no problems.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post
Never use products on your display as they can ruin the AR coating.
Camera lenses have all sorts of coatings on them AR and otherwise and yet they sell products to clean those. Do you really think the coatings on a plasma are that easily damaged?
Old 07-23-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Camera lenses have all sorts of coatings on them AR and otherwise and yet they sell products to clean those. Do you really think the coatings on a plasma are that easily damaged?
So any kind of lens cleaner should do?
Old 07-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

From experience I wouldn't trust any product on an expensive display, I know of a few owners who have damaged or removed the coating using such products.

Only using pure water and a very small amount of detergent as described above has worked perfectly on all my displays and it's cheaper too
Old 07-23-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
From experience I wouldn't trust any product on an expensive display, I know of a few owners who have damaged or removed the coating using such products.

Only using pure water and a very small amount of detergent as described above has worked perfectly on all my displays and it's cheaper too
What kind of detergent? What brand?
Old 07-23-2014, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I'm curious why anyone feels the need to use a liquid even if it's mildly damp. What are you doing?

As the worst that happens on mine is fibres/dust particles that wipes away again with a dry cloth. Same for camera lenses. I've never had to use any liquids/damp cloths.

Though, thankfully the Plasma hardly needs a dusting since there is no carpet. Wooden floor. Though the other room is a mess with the type of pile carpet. Fibres come off it and stick to the screen daily. That and the fact the LCD screen is like those static charge balloons hold. Requires an air duster/rocket blower to get rid of it around the screed ridges.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post
I'm curious why anyone feels the need to use a liquid even if it's mildly damp. What are you doing?

As the worst that happens on mine is fibres/dust particles that wipes away again with a dry cloth. Same for camera lenses. I've never had to use any liquids/damp cloths.

Though, thankfully the Plasma hardly needs a dusting since there is no carpet. Wooden floor. Though the other room is a mess with the type of pile carpet. Fibres come off it and stick to the screen daily. That and the fact the LCD screen is like those static charge balloons hold. Requires an air duster/rocket blower to get rid of it around the screed ridges.
Mine has fingerprints from kids. Only a few but enough to irritate me.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From my personal experience, I would recommend a Purosol Plasma cleaning kit. It's perfectly safe for any plasma screen and works wonders. You'll swear by it, not at it.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I'd recommend using the 'search' tool. There are literally thousands of posts about cleaning screens...
RandyWalters likes this.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Im worried about wiping off the anti glare coating. Does anyone know if the samsung pn51f5300 has anti glare or any kind of coating. And how easy is it to wipe off?
Old 07-24-2014, 02:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma5300 View Post
What kind of detergent? What brand?
Any mild detergent, I just use a few drops of antibacterial hand wash, which the cloth is then rinsed and wrung out effectively diluting the detergent to a very low amount and you want the cloth very slightly damp (not wet or any water coming out of the cloth when twisted) this is enough to remove all marks without any possible damage.

FWIW, you only have to look at the display owner manuals and the majority of manufacturers only stipulate brief minor cleaning instructions usually "use a dry or provided cleaning cloth", however this doesn't tackle suborn marks like grease or finger prints, so backs up that using products is no way a good idea (some can cause damage over time with constant use) as the AR coatings are delicate IMO and no way the same as lens coatings as been suggested.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 75
What if you DON'T have an AR coating?

I've used a Monster branded screen cleaner for over half a year on my S60. I have a two year old who likes to think that his interactive pre-schooler tv shows need him to point and touch things on screen.. sometimes with stuff on his fingers (ugh).

No problems here so far.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
Sony HT-XT1 Sound Base
Old 07-24-2014, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post

I've used a Monster branded screen cleaner for over half a year on my S60. I have a two year old who likes to think that his interactive pre-schooler tv shows need him to point and touch things on screen.. sometimes with stuff on his fingers (ugh).

No problems here so far.
Then i don't think it's as critical, although care should be taken as not to let any liquid enter the edges of the screen and I wouldn't recommend spraying directly onto the screen which could cause it to run inside.

My method will work just as well and costs you next to nothing.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:09 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean a plasma tv screen. I think my tv has the anti reflection thing. Im not sure. Its the samsung pn51f5300.
I tried water in a tiny spot but it left streaks now im wondering if anyone knows a good product maybe on amazon? Something safe for plasma tv screens with the anti reflection. Thanks guys!
There is absolutely no need to use any type or brand of screen cleaning solution on a Plasma TV whether it has an AR coating or not. Simple water sprayed onto a soft cloth works perfectly and is guaranteed to not harm the screen. At most, a drop or two of liquid soap or dishwashing liquid mixed into a bowl of water is a strong as one needs (per Panasonic's official method for instance). I have cleaned a big splatter of blue-jay poop off my G10's screen with just water and cloth. Do the first pass with the moist cloth, then buff it dry with a clean dry cloth. That's all i've ever had to do cleaning multiple Plasmas multiple times over the last ten years. Wipe gently, no need to bear down on the glass.

To avoid streaking, clean the screen when the TV has been turned off and the screen is stone-cold. If the screen is warm or hot, the water dries on the screen as soon as you wipe it on and that causes streaks so you wipe again and it streaks again so you end up chasing your tail. Do it cold only. This is very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrolds View Post
Buy a jug of distilled water from your local supermarket - spray on, wipe with microfiber. Streak free and wont harm the surface.
No, never ever spray anything on the screen !! Always spray the cloth, not the screen. I've seen a number of posts like this one:

LCD flat panel damaged by water

Quote:
Im worried about wiping off the anti glare coating. Does anyone know if the samsung pn51f5300 has anti glare or any kind of coating. And how easy is it to wipe off?
The F5300 does not have an AR coating so using screen cleaner would be safe, but there's still no need to use it. Water is more than adequate. And i don't even bother using distilled water, tap water has always worked fine.

------------------------------
markus46, rcapprotti and xvfx like this.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 07-24-2014, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 40
RyanHomsey and rcapprotti like this.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post
If you don't have an AR coating it's just a piece of glass and you can pretty much treat it like any window.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
There is absolutely no need to use any type or brand of screen cleaning solution on a Plasma TV whether it has an AR coating or not. Simple water sprayed onto a soft cloth works perfectly and is guaranteed to not harm the screen. At most, a drop or two of liquid soap or dishwashing liquid mixed into a bowl of water is a strong as one needs (per Panasonic's official method for instance). I have cleaned a big splatter of blue-jay poop off my G10's screen with just water and cloth. Do the first pass with the moist cloth, then buff it dry with a clean dry cloth. That's all i've ever had to do cleaning multiple Plasmas multiple times over the last ten years. Wipe gently, no need to bear down on the glass.

To avoid streaking, clean the screen when the TV has been turned off and the screen is stone-cold. If the screen is warm or hot, the water dries on the screen as soon as you wipe it on and that causes streaks so you wipe again and it streaks again so you end up chasing your tail. Do it cold only. This is very important.

No, never ever spray anything on the screen !! Always spray the cloth, not the screen. I've seen a number of posts like this one:

The F5300 does not have an AR coating so using screen cleaner would be safe, but there's still no need to use it. Water is more than adequate. And i don't even bother using distilled water, tap water has always worked fine.

Im talking using a plant spray, like a mist - not a hose. And distilled water is virtually electrically non-conductive, and guaranteed to be streak free unlike tap water with minerals (at least much easier to achieve streak free). Your link was about a girl who squirted water onto the tv. Most likely tap water, shorting out the tv.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

No coating? I talked to Samsung chat and dude said this tv has Anti Glare Coating. Im not sure though because he wouldnt answer the question only giving me links on how to clean until finally he said yes it has anti glare coating. Did you read somewhere that says no coating? If so I would like to read it . Thanks in advanced
Old 07-24-2014, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Any mild detergent, I just use a few drops of antibacterial hand wash, which the cloth is then rinsed and wrung out effectively diluting the detergent to a very low amount and you want the cloth very slightly damp (not wet or any water coming out of the cloth when twisted) this is enough to remove all marks without any possible damage.

FWIW, you only have to look at the display owner manuals and the majority of manufacturers only stipulate brief minor cleaning instructions usually "use a dry or provided cleaning cloth", however this doesn't tackle suborn marks like grease or finger prints, so backs up that using products is no way a good idea (some can cause damage over time with constant use) as the AR coatings are delicate IMO and no way the same as lens coatings as been suggested.
This might sound kind of nasty, but I clean my tvs with a dry microfiber cloth, and whenever I come across a fingerprint or splotch I can't get out, I just put a little saliva on my finger and touch the screen with it. Wipe the microfiber over it and and the spot is gone.

Am I the only one weird enough to do this? Works every time.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
This might sound kind of nasty, but I clean my tvs with a dry microfiber cloth, and whenever I come across a fingerprint or splotch I can't get out, I just put a little saliva on my finger and touch the screen with it. Wipe the microfiber over it and and the spot is gone.

Haha!
Old 07-25-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Probably. I exhale on the spot, putting water vapor on the screen, and then wipe.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Touching the panel in our house results is cause for a visit by the King's Justice.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

I went ahead and bought some screenclean from walmart. 5 or 6 bucks. Came with a bottle of gel like cleaner, microfiber cloth, and dust brush. The cleaner is non alcohol and non ammonia. It states on the samsung website for my tv to use such products. Worked great!