LG 60" Plasma flickering/changing colors in splotches - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-29-2014, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG 60" Plasma flickering/changing colors in splotches

My 3 year old LG 60" plasma tv (60PV250-UB.AUSZLUR) started having some issues in the middle to top part of the screen where the colors are shifting to different colors. Especially in white and light areas. If the screen goes white, there are basically clouds of area that are green or purple. They will stay there, then go away for a second, and come right back. It is especially bad when peoples faces are on the screen. Oddly enough, usually after about 4+ hours of continuous use, it stops. But if you turn off the tv, and turn it right back on, the problem is back. This happens on all inputs, with a computer hooked up, ps3, etc. It also happens when the TV's main menu is up. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	185938  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-29-2014, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymcp View Post
My 3 year old LG 60" plasma tv (60PV250-UB.AUSZLUR) started having some issues in the middle to top part of the screen where the colors are shifting to different colors. Especially in white and light areas. If the screen goes white, there are basically clouds of area that are green or purple. They will stay there, then go away for a second, and come right back. It is especially bad when peoples faces are on the screen. Oddly enough, usually after about 4+ hours of continuous use, it stops. But if you turn off the tv, and turn it right back on, the problem is back. This happens on all inputs, with a computer hooked up, ps3, etc. It also happens when the TV's main menu is up. Thoughts?
This is a common issue on these sets. It is caused by some cold solder joints under the ER coils on the Z-sustain or Y-sustain. If you have access to a soldering iron and some leaded solder (lead-free can work but is more difficult to use) then you can repair it.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-29-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

From the picture , it looks like what my now 2yr old PA6500 problem was/had , which I called "dancing purple/pinks" ; and seemed to pop up sporadically but mostly in light colored areas . This problem showed up just before my 1yr warranty expired so it was covered . LG first replaced the main processor board ... problem still persisted . LG then replaced the screen and two more of the boards to finally fix the problem .

I miss my old Altec 1590 monoblocks ....
post #4 of 15 Old 07-30-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

If I pop open the back, are you saying I will notice loose solder joints on the Z and Y, or are you saying I would need to resolder all the joints?
post #5 of 15 Old 07-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If I pop open the back, are you saying I will notice loose solder joints on the Z and Y, or are you saying I would need to resolder all the joints?
Once you remove the Y-sustain and Z-sustain the cracked joints will usually be obvious. If you post a picture of the sustain boards I can highlight the coils of interest which would narrow down your search.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-30-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My LG 60PV250 started doing the same thing this year, it's gotten really annoying. I haven't taken the back off of my set, but I've attached some photos of the sustain boards from ShopJimmy.com. Thanks for any help tom669.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LG YSUS top_1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	188562   Click image for larger version

Name:	LG YSUS-bottom_1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	497.4 KB
ID:	188570   Click image for larger version

Name:	LG ZSUS-top.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	188578   Click image for larger version

Name:	LG ZSUS-bottom.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	188586  

post #7 of 15 Old 07-30-2014, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donebu View Post
My LG 60PV250 started doing the same thing this year, it's gotten really annoying. I haven't taken the back off of my set, but I've attached some photos of the sustain boards from ShopJimmy.com. Thanks for any help tom669.
OK in your case the coils are between the silver and black heatsink on the Y-sustain and Z-sustain. The three coils in a row. The solder joints under them can crack.
donebu and orion2001 like this.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-31-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post
OK in your case the coils are between the silver and black heatsink on the Y-sustain and Z-sustain. The three coils in a row. The solder joints under them can crack.
Thanks for your help tom669, I'll have to practice my soldering on some junk circuit boards before I work up the nerve to try to repair my LG TV, but at least now I know what to look for.

post #9 of 15 Old 08-01-2014, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me how long it would take unplugged for the capacitors to lose their charge? Or would I need to use a plasma discharge tool?
post #10 of 15 Old 09-09-2014, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
This is exactly what my 60" LG plasma is now doing, it's also really hot to the touch! On a whim, emailed LG early this morn & cust svc wrote back req'ing all my info serial # date of purchase to do a out of warranty repair! Hope they come through as I'm not comfortable taking the back off much less using a solder iron lol.

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
post #11 of 15 Old 09-09-2014, 04:02 PM

LG declined to do an out of warranty fix, too far oow. Now the search begins for a new tv! Anybody want a slightly used tv with some ghosting lollol???

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
post #12 of 15 Old 09-30-2014, 08:14 AM

Liked: 3
Hey I have the 60PV450 and just started having the same problem. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but have never soldered before. Would you recommend I call in a tv repair service to resolder or just buy new xsus an ysus panels and install them myself? Would I have to replace both of those or is just one the culprit for the purple haze?
post #13 of 15 Old 10-01-2014, 02:25 PM

Just Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post
Any idea if the y or x sus seem to be causing these problems? Or both? Also will tweaking any of the pots help eliminate it at all?
post #14 of 15 Old 10-08-2014, 05:20 AM

Personally, I'd like to see in the near future someone filing a Class Action Lawsuit against LG for their obvious defects on these models. badcaps dot net has numerous threads about this plasma model for those trying to do their own repairs. Works for most from what I read, but I'm still not inclined to do surgery on a tv that isn't 4 years old & calling a tv repairman prob isn't worth it as I'm in a rural area & they'd have to travel etc. Just don't think putting another ~$400 into this tv would be worth it. Otoh, gives me something to look forward to on Black Friday Ha!

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
post #15 of 15 Old 10-08-2014, 08:58 AM

The soldered coils on the back of the X sus board were cracked just like Tom said. I took it to the local tv repair shop and paid the $15 to have them resoldered and works like new. No purple/green haze on light colors anymore and super good picture. Thanks Tom.
donebu, orion2001 and wtxgringo like this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - 60PV250 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page