Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-30-2014, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Exclamation Screen died...Panny TH-46PZ850U

5 1/2 years old.
Turned it on in the morning and the right half (exactly 1/2) of the screen was out. Not black, but displaying black and white lines. The left 1/2 was flickering but I could see and hear the channel just fine. Same thing with the Blu ray player.

I got into the service menu and ran the test pattern (displayed temp and solid colors). The pattern would only show on the left side. The right maintained the black and white lines. I get no LED blinking from the front red power LED.

My question is: from my description can anyone discern the module that is bad: like D or A or something like that? A part # would be great, too. I plan to fix it myself if that's possible.

Some huge thanks to anyone who can help!

Last edited by mizzer; 07-30-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-30-2014, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
5 1/2 years old.
Turned it on in the morning and the right half (exactly 1/2) of the screen was out. Not black, but displaying black and white lines. The left 1/2 was flickering but I could see and hear the channel just fine. Same thing with the Blu ray player.

I got into the service menu and ran the test pattern (displayed temp and solid colors). The pattern would only show on the left side. The right maintained the black and white lines. I get no LED blinking from the front red power LED.

My question is: from my description can anyone discern the module that is bad: like D or A or something like that? A part # would be great, too. I plan to fix it myself if that's possible.

Some huge thanks to anyone who can help!
Loose LVDS cable. Here's similar model I fixed:
post #3 of 4 Old 07-31-2014, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 49
nice channel tom, already had a few of your videos :P
post #4 of 4 Old 08-07-2014, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Same thing here ... sort of. Also TH-46PZ850U. Almost 5 1/2 years old (bought new in April 2009, unit built in August 2008 IIRC), was working fine ... this past weekend suddenly wouldn't power up. Might've had only two blinks initially, but now it's always the 10 blinks on the red power light. Initially thought it was my (high-end) external power block/strip (because Ooma telophone box also was 'dead'), so I moved the plug to the other 'column' of outlets on the block ... powered up and ran fine. Next power up failed again with the 10 blinks.

From what I've been able to find online so far, it appears this is a capacitor failure on the MC201 and/or MC301 boards (which are located on the Main Power Supply board)? Some people have simply removed the capacitor all together and run problem-free for months. Others have removed the tiny 'dime-sized' board the capacitor sits on and soldered on a new IC chip and capacitor. Still others have just replaced the capacitor ... either by first removing the tiny board or soldering a replacement in-place (takes a steady hand and 15-watt, tiny point soldering iron)!!

Should I proceed along the lines of the failed capacitor, or are there other possibilities??
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page