Help need to transport a"naked" 5020 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-31-2014, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help need to transport a"naked" 5020

Is currently on its Pioneer oem stand. Speaker bar has been removed. Will use a van or suburban. Thought of covering it with soft cotton sheet or getting that soft packing thin spongy white foam from BB, then some bubble wrap and /or cardboard on face side, maybe a flat screen box over all that, then lash all of that to a flat 2nd or third row seat back "gently" just to keep it upright. Screen side away from seat. Drive easy, don't hit any potholes (yeah, right). Any other suggestions? All thoughts and ideas appreciated. Help me protect an "endangered" KURO.....THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-31-2014, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Amazon sells a plasma transportation box , little pricey but if you want to protect your set might do the trick.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-01-2014, 08:29 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 498
When my friend moved his 60" Kuro we installed the table stand (after covering it completely with a few layers of blue painters tape to protect it from scratches), then we covered the screen with a soft blanket to protect the surface of the glass, then laid a few layers of cardboard over that, then bubble-wrapped the whole TV tightly with packing tape. The movers were careful with it and it survived just fine.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4 of 6 Old 08-01-2014, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for your replies. I looked at the shipping boxes, but that seems more work/cost/time for a 30 mile self move. This is only to move the 5020, not a whole house move. Randy, I like the painters tape idea, I assume it removed easily/neatly/completely? I'm tending towards an approach like yours...soft bed sheet to keep scratches down then movers blanket or other soft blanket, maybe bubble, then cardboard for stability and immobilize attached to a seat back. If anyone has any other ideas it would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-01-2014, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhollowtoo View Post
Thank you both for your replies. I looked at the shipping boxes, but that seems more work/cost/time for a 30 mile self move. This is only to move the 5020, not a whole house move. Randy, I like the painters tape idea, I assume it removed easily/neatly/completely? I'm tending towards an approach like yours...soft bed sheet to keep scratches down then movers blanket or other soft blanket, maybe bubble, then cardboard for stability and immobilize attached to a seat back. If anyone has any other ideas it would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
May sound like sacrilege, but I moved a PDP-LX5090 in the back of a Peugeot 206 (tiny car) by laying it down on about 3 layers of bedsheets and putting some padding on top of it. It survived the journey fine, and I've moved many other plasmas the same way hundreds of miles, and never broken a single one. You must always face the display up - never down - and pad it well.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-01-2014, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Tom: HA HA Got a good laugh when I looked up the Peugeot 206. Was hoping you didn't have to carry it vertical and across your lap! The 206 is about the size of a Honda Civic 2 door for those that don't want to look it up.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page