Is this repairable? Panasonic P65ST50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-02-2014, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
JackStraw1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is this repairable? Panasonic P65ST50

With no prior warning a 4 inch wide strip on the right side of my TV has gone black. There are two thin lines of pixels that are visible that go from the top to near the bottom in that black. They are about 2 inches apart. Then you have about 1/4 inch strip of black along the right border with about 1 3/4 inch of black on the other border of that strip. I have several questions. Obviously the first is this repairable. If repaired what are the chances it would happen again. Can it be repaired in my house without having it taken to a shop. Does anyone have any idea what the costs would be. [IMG][/IMG]
JackStraw1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 08-03-2014, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
tom669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 914
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw1 View Post
With no prior warning a 4 inch wide strip on the right side of my TV has gone black. There are two thin lines of pixels that are visible that go from the top to near the bottom in that black. They are about 2 inches apart. Then you have about 1/4 inch strip of black along the right border with about 1 3/4 inch of black on the other border of that strip. I have several questions. Obviously the first is this repairable. If repaired what are the chances it would happen again. Can it be repaired in my house without having it taken to a shop. Does anyone have any idea what the costs would be. [IMG][/IMG]
That looks like a bad PDP to me. The plasma panel has failed. I thought Panasonic was more or less immune to this . It will not be economical to repair.
tom669 is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 08-03-2014, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
JackStraw1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post
That looks like a bad PDP to me. The plasma panel has failed. I thought Panasonic was more or less immune to this . It will not be economical to repair.
That is really sad if you believe that it is the display and not a board. The set is only two years old. I was hoping some others would post if they had a similar problem with the Panasonic Plasma. I'm still going to have an authorized service center tech come out to confirm or maybe just a picture of the image will be sufficient. This is over $2000 down the drain if the set is unrepairable. I bought the set based on the great reviews of this line of Plasma's. It's a shame because I loved image quality of set.
JackStraw1 is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 08-03-2014, 02:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
tom669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 914
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Statistically, early failures are possible, no matter how long the technology lasts on average. This isn't a well known issue with this model, unlike LG's "stuck green line" issue which is affecting all sets from 2009 onwards (also a panel failure.) Bear in mind, LED-LCD TVs tend to have a much higher panel failure rate. If a plasma TV does go wrong, 99% of the time, it can be fixed; LED-LCD is more like 50% panel faults (or uneconomical LED array repair, given new designs.) Just bad luck unfortunately.

Last edited by tom669; 08-03-2014 at 02:10 AM.
tom669 is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 08-03-2014, 04:49 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
batocko is online now  
post #6 of 17 Old 08-03-2014, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
tom669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 914
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I do think they can do that although I have seen failures on Panasonic TVs as low as 8,000 hours and as high as 18,000 hours. Most people do not bother to repair TVs that are much older than that, they buy a new TV, so the data is probably skewed.
tom669 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 08-03-2014, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
JackStraw1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is another photo of the TV. It shows the black strip in better definition. [IMG][/IMG]
JackStraw1 is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 08-04-2014, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
JackStraw1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I sent photos of the set to an authorized Panasonic dealer in my area. Without coming to my house his first guess it is the PDP as Tom669 stated. Nevertheless I made appointment for the tech to verify for sure. It will cost me $125 but it's worth a shot.
JackStraw1 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 08-04-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post
Statistically, early failures are possible, no matter how long the technology lasts on average. This isn't a well known issue with this model, unlike LG's "stuck green line" issue which is affecting all sets from 2009 onwards (also a panel failure.) Bear in mind, LED-LCD TVs tend to have a much higher panel failure rate. If a plasma TV does go wrong, 99% of the time, it can be fixed; LED-LCD is more like 50% panel faults (or uneconomical LED array repair, given new designs.) Just bad luck unfortunately.
interesting

where are you getting these statistics?

I have had far more issues with Plasma than LED...and I have owned several of both

2-3 issues with different boards on a C8000 plasma....new panel on a D8000 plasma.The new panel still had issues issues Samsung gave a me a new E8000 plasma

Samsung also replaced an LCD because of a failed HDMI port

No issues from the 2 panny plasmas

On the green line LG issue
never heard of this and I have a few friends with older LG...2008 or so still going strong
A family had a 2010 model that was bought as a store display that is still going strong as well

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 08-04-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post
I do think they can do that although I have seen failures on Panasonic TVs as low as 8,000 hours and as high as 18,000 hours. Most people do not bother to repair TVs that are much older than that, they buy a new TV, so the data is probably skewed.
I would imagine that no one elects to replace a panel

from what I have seen its about the cost of a new TV

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 08-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
tom669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 914
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw1 View Post
I sent photos of the set to an authorized Panasonic dealer in my area. Without coming to my house his first guess it is the PDP as Tom669 stated. Nevertheless I made appointment for the tech to verify for sure. It will cost me $125 but it's worth a shot.
A $125 waste, IMHO, he will tell you immediately dead panel. There is no way within any reasonable possibility for it to be another fault.

Quote:
where are you getting these statistics?
Practically the only panel failure for PDP is the stuck vertical line as demonstrated here, and a quick search will show this to be rare.

For many new TVs it's easier to replace whole panels or TVs for single faults rather than repair them - even if component cost is highest.

The statistics are estimates by myself. I have seen too many LED-LCD and LCD TVs with bad panels. About 15% of the TVs I see on ebay, craigslist/gumtree/etc, avsforum, badcaps forum and personally are bad panels. Bad plasma panels, 1%, and mostly minor, "you could deal with it" faults, pretty typical is a single pixel line which mostly blends in with content, only popping up now and then., still very annoying but ok as a bedroom TV etc.

Again - Plasma can fail but 99% of the time it can be fixed, where as LED-LCD TV can be uneconomical in a great deal of cases due to panel faults.
tom669 is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 08-04-2014, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
JackStraw1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post
A $125 waste, IMHO, he will tell you immediately dead panel. There is no way within any reasonable possibility for it to be another fault.



Practically the only panel failure for PDP is the stuck vertical line as demonstrated here, and a quick search will show this to be rare.

For many new TVs it's easier to replace whole panels or TVs for single faults rather than repair them - even if component cost is highest.

The statistics are estimates by myself. I have seen too many LED-LCD and LCD TVs with bad panels. About 15% of the TVs I see on ebay, craigslist/gumtree/etc, avsforum, badcaps forum and personally are bad panels. Bad plasma panels, 1%, and mostly minor, "you could deal with it" faults, pretty typical is a single pixel line which mostly blends in with content, only popping up now and then., still very annoying but ok as a bedroom TV etc.

Again - Plasma can fail but 99% of the time it can be fixed, where as LED-LCD TV can be uneconomical in a great deal of cases due to panel faults.
Tom669, thanks. I have been thinking about it. I will cancel the service call. As bad as the missing 4 inch strip is the TV is still watchable. I going to hang in with it till September or maybe even as long November. Hoping the 65 inch 4K sets drop more in price. Looking to pick up the Samsung UN65HU8550 or the Sony XBR 65X850B. I was at the Consumer Electronics Show in January in Las Vegas looking at the new 4K's. Never thought I would be forced to buy a new TV. I was even considering having my Panasonic ISF calibrated the last few months. Glad I didn't as that would be more money down the drain. In my upstairs bedroom I still have a Sony 34 inch HD XBR800
CRT. It's 14 years old and still has a perfect picture. It was one of the first HD sets to come out and I bought before HD had even taken off. It was an expensive set, $2400 and was probably the best TV available back then. Now I have to roll the dice on another TV hopefully this time I won't roll snake eyes. Not looking for 14 years 5-6 years would be nice.
JackStraw1 is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM
Newbie
 
Ohm-eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Noob question: Could the (present) failure of the panel be caused by bad handling / shipping, even when the unit was still in the box?

It's not a total loss. All the boards are still good if you wanted to sell them on eBay, I guess.

.
Ohm-eye is online now  
post #14 of 17 Old Today, 07:00 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw1 View Post
That is really sad if you believe that it is the display and not a board. The set is only two years old. I was hoping some others would post if they had a similar problem with the Panasonic Plasma. I'm still going to have an authorized service center tech come out to confirm or maybe just a picture of the image will be sufficient. This is over $2000 down the drain if the set is unrepairable.
Two questions for you - did you buy the TV using a good credit card that automatically adds one year to the manufacturer's warranty? And did you buy the TV LESS THAN two years ago?

If the answers are yes and yes, i'd get with your credit card company and start the warranty or re-imbursement process immediately.

If not, then maybe that black strip is due to a loose connector for that part of the panel? Others here have had similar top-to-bottom strips similar to that and it turned out to be a connector that simply needed re-seating. Check into this.


__________________________________________________ ___

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old Today, 07:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Iain-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw1 View Post
Tom669, thanks. I have been thinking about it. I will cancel the service call. As bad as the missing 4 inch strip is the TV is still watchable. I going to hang in with it till September or maybe even as long November. Hoping the 65 inch 4K sets drop more in price. Looking to pick up the Samsung UN65HU8550 or the Sony XBR 65X850B. ...
Whatever you decide to do, this time round consider an extended warranty on your new set.

That's what I did with Square Trade for my GT50. It's worth it for peace of mind.
Iain- is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old Today, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
tom669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 914
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 106
If you can, buy your TV from Costco. It's like $60 to get a 5 year warranty from Squaretrade.
tom669 is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old Today, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
JackStraw1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A couple of responses to the questions. I didn't buy this TV from a store. I obtained using casino gift points I earned. I picked it out of a catalog. It was delivered using white glove delivery. The set worked perfectly for two years which is beyond the one year Panasonic warranty. I couldn't have gotten an extended warranty because it came from a distributor that Caesars Entertainment uses. The set wasn't manhandled and was in the same spot for two years. Panasonic's own local service center technician told me based on the pictures I sent him it couldn't be anything but the PDP. He said that he would be glad to come out for the $125 but I would most likely be throwing my money away. They have serviced enough of these TV's to know the difference between the strip and the display. If there is a tiny percentage it is the strip someone is getting a great deal because I sold the TV on eBay for $85 for local pickup. I put about 6 or 7 pictures of the display with the problem on my listing. If it was just the strip I would have gotten more offers or bids from a local. As it turned out the first listing was a non-paying bidder from out of state who didn't know what they were buying. My re-list got one buyer who has paid and is picking up. The repair center themselves buys non working TV's and they wouldn't make me an offer. In other words the repair center which is about 30 miles from my house which buys non working TV's then fixes them and sells in their repair center had no interest. This tells me with almost 100% certainty that it has to be the PDP. He didn't even want the set for the boards as did virtually no one on eBay. The person who bought the set from me said for the price they are just going to watch it with 4 inches gone.

I have since purchased a Samsung UN65H7150 with an extended square trade warranty. I am happy with TV other than missing the darker blacks that only a Plasma has.
JackStraw1 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off