Plasma Questions - Please Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-05-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG Plasma Questions - Please Help

Hi guys this is my first post here. I've spent what seems like forever researching everywhere I could possibly find to get the best answers possible. The problem I have is that I'm looking for a plasma tv that fits the following qualifications and I seem to not be able to find any definitive answers so this is my last resort. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Keep in mind I'm trying not to spend anything more than a $1000 and I prefer a 60 inch (wouldn't mind going up to 70 if I have to)... so far I believe I've narrowed my choices between the LG 60PB5600 and 60PN6500.

1) I play a lot of video games (like FPS and fighting games) so I need a tv with a low input lag. What are the tvs with low lag? I wouldn't want any sacrifice of picture quality though and I would still want the ability to change the picture settings when I play games (in fact I would probably get it professionally calibrated). From my research it seems you need to change Samsung tvs to PC mode and/or Game Mode which decreases quality, whereas the LG models don't have degraded quality under GM. I'm not sure if I have that right but that's what I'm under the impression of. I would love if someone can explain what I'd need to do if I get their recommended tv for the best settings under gaming.

2) I don't want a Smart TV or 3D-TV, or basically anything with extra bells and whistles unless it's the only tv available to satisfy my other qualifications.

3) Obviously something with good picture quality. I understand this is an opinion- but I don't want something that has gotten all around crappy reviews. I've been using a 24 inch LCD for a while now so I'm sure anything will seem amazing in comparison though!

Last edited by Jstndazone; 08-05-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-05-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstndazone View Post
Hi guys this is my first post here. I've spent what seems like forever researching everywhere I could possibly find to get the best answers possible. The problem I have is that I'm looking for a plasma tv that fits the following qualifications and I seem to not be able to find any definitive answers so this is my last resort. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Keep in mind I'm trying not to spend anything more than a $1000 and I prefer a 60 inch (wouldn't mind going up to 70 if I have to)... so far I believe I've narrowed my choices between the LG 60PB5600 and 60PN6500.

1) I play a lot of video games (like FPS and fighting games) so I need a tv with a low input lag. What are the tvs with low lag? I wouldn't want any sacrifice of picture quality though and I would still want the ability to change the picture settings when I play games (in fact I would probably get it professionally calibrated). From my research it seems you need to change Samsung tvs to PC mode and/or Game Mode which decreases quality, whereas the LG models don't have degraded quality under GM. I'm not sure if I have that right but that's what I'm under the impression of. I would love if someone can explain what I'd need to do if I get their recommended tv for the best settings under gaming.

2) I don't want a Smart TV or 3D-TV, or basically anything with extra bells and whistles unless it's the only tv available to satisfy my other qualifications.

3) Obviously something with good picture quality. I understand this is an opinion- but I don't want something that has gotten all around crappy reviews. I've been using a 24 inch LCD for a while now so I'm sure anything will seem amazing in comparison though!
1)The most current plasmas that had relatively low input lag were made by Panasonic with the exception of the ST60. Unfortunately, they are now out of production. Sorry.

2) The Samsung 5300 series offers very good PQ and basic features without smart applications and 3D.

3) LG plasmas are better then many LED/LCD's in their prospective price range, but their contrast and black levels have always been sub par compared to other PDP offerings.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 6 Old 08-05-2014, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Samsung 5300 series lag varies from about 32 to 48 ms of lag. Im a long time gamer and its completely unnoticable to me. I only know about it because of my FZero lag testing done here.

Game mode actually makes retro 2D games look better, as non game mode adds weird artifacts to scrolling 2D graphics. I have yet to notice ANY deterioration graphics in 3D games using game mode either. Basically for me, a purist, its better, perhaps except for video, because it is a more pure representation of what the console or PC is sending the TV.

If you are in the market for less than 60", the Samsung PN51F5300 is the best 1080p set you can buy, in my opinion. That said though, my pick for the best all around gaming set you can buy today is the 720p PN51F4500. It is the best in the business for retro games (using RGB of course) , Wii/PS2/Xbox/Gamecube 480p gen games, and PS3 Xbox 360 720p gen games. Its PQ is fantastic-- the ONLY advantage the 1080p 5300 sets have over it is for native 1080p content/Blu Ray/ PS4 and PC. Plus its a steal at $399.

Last edited by Josh128; 08-05-2014 at 04:15 PM.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-05-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 830
I hate to say it, but you really missed the boat for your needs. the panny s60 was probably the tv you wanted, but it's not made anymore.

3d and smart features aren't really something you should even worry about. they tend to be 'thrown in' with higher quality TV's, not something you actually pay more money for.

it's not going to help you much, but honestly, the only tv on the market today I would recommend is the f8500. for me personally, nothing else would be worth buying(except maybe an oled if I had money to burn). which is really unfortunate because last year when I bought my f8500, I had 4 TV's to choose from(st60, vt60, zt60, f8500) and I felt like I couldn't go wrong with any of them.

I've just never been impressed with LG plasmas. I find most LCD's have better blacks anyway. the only thing out there that's gonna fit your budget is a 5series from Samsung.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #5 of 6 Old 08-05-2014, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Agree 60" really limits your choices-- the 51" 5300 and 4500 are fantastic sets, but the 60" version of the 5300 suffers from a semi-1080p pentile display and more importantly, pink whites. As mentioned above, at least for 60", the S60 would probably be what you are looking for.

A 60" F8500 is going to be way out of your budget. My recommendations stand if you can deal with a 51" set. If not you may be forced to go with the LG.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-05-2014, 08:14 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Welcome to the AVS Plasma Gaming Club(TM) You've made the perfect choice for going with a plasma for your gaming needs. Contrary to what people say about gaming on a plasma TV, I'm one happy owner!

Before making your choice, here are some considerations you might ponder.

1) What are your general gaming habit? Are you into twitch FPS mainly or is your gaming diet diverse? Are you into western games exclusively or are there some Japanese RPGS you enjoy? Answers to such questions are important as while a low-ABL plasma may suit majority of western games just fine, it might prove to be insufficient to cartoony games such as Nintendo games. If you're more of a competitive player, lower input lag may be more important to you.

2) What's your main gaming resolution? Are you into retro just as you are into current? Today's HDTVs are extremely nasty with upscaling, so you may want to think about it for a bit. Josh128 for example loves his retro games and the Samsung F4500's sub-720p resolution is perfect for him, but may not be perfect for someone who would like to play some 1080p PC games.

3) Is your display of choice going to be more utility-oriented (meaning serving gameplay is your utmost priority) or are you willing to take a small risk for eye-candy as well? Contrast ratio is extremely important for games too.

With that said, think about which of the four factors you're going to prioritize.

a) Input lag : Perhaps the most important factor for a gaming display. Many HDTVs are going to disappoint you with sluggish response especially if you're coming from an LCD monitor. I consider it very important because it impacts gameplay directly. GTA Vice City wasn't that fun on my Panasonic plasma until I started disabling v-sync, FXAA and triple buffering. If you're into FPSs, the maximum you may tolerate may be 2 frames or lower. (32ms) Unfortunately, very few plasmas fall under this number, and DEFINITELY no LG plasmas. (I had one. Got stuck with 53ms of input lag. It was not pretty)

b) Motion performance : You can generally figure a plasma's motion performance by looking at its motion performance numbers, but here are general figures.

Panasonic S60, VT60, ZT60, Samsung F8500 = 700 lines
Panasonic ST60, LG plasmas = 800 lines

I went from an LG plasma to the Panasonic S60 and I was definitely disappointed with the S60's motion performance. Plasmas also have phosphor trailing which can further hinder motion clarity and my S60 had loads more than the LG I had.

Nowdays, you really don't have a choice with plasmas unless you get one of those professional models. But I've seen some people who came from LCDs disappointed, so take that into considerations. Plasmas also suffer from 30 FPS judders which greatly impact console games. Some higher end plasmas offer motion interpolation to mitigrate such judders but it has side-effects too. (Input lag increases tremendously for example)

c) Light output/ABL = Plasmas are typically not as bright as LCDs giving a false inpression that plasmas are no good with games. That's not true. Plasmas can actually get away with less luminance because they have superior black level. I'd consider my Panasonic S60 as somewhere between my Trinitron CRT monitor and the Dell IPS LCD monitor, and it can still handle many games fine. Of course, there are also games that practically demand a bit more brightness than what my S60 can muster. Japanese games are one example, but GTA is one western game series that need a bit more than the S60 IMO. So, if your gaming diet is diverse, you may want to save yourself from a disappointment by going with a dim plasma. The LG plasmas are the dimmest, and with its harsh ABL, I was actually clamoring for my previous Sony LCD instead. I finally settled with the Panasonic S60 because it had better ABL than the previous LG, but it could still be better. Going with the F8500 will solve your ABL issues mostly, but ask yourself the question "Do you require the luminance of the F8500?" Because sometimes you can get away with less.

d) Black level = I'd actually put this above color. The games truly fly with superior black level. Compared with the LCD monitor you have, you get to feel more ambience and atmosphere, it's really unreal. Seeing as you get to put up with plasma quirks, you deserve great black level no LCD display can ever give you, and that's why again, going with an LG plasma is not a good idea if contrast ratio is what you're after. Sure you can improve that LG with a black level improving tweak, but it still won't beat any of the Samsung plasmas let alone a Panasonic.

My general recommendations

1) Samsung F5300 (just avoid the 60 inch one, it's a pentile) = Decent black level, decent price, decent motion performance, decent light output/ABL, good calibration options. A good plasma with no real weaknesses.

2) Samsung H5000 = Black level as good as if not better than the much more expensive F8500, 25% superior ABL/brightness than the Panasonic S60, great price. It's pentile though so that's one knock against the product. I'm considering buying one though.

3) Panasonic plasmas = If you can still find one, the U50,UT50,S60 are all great gaming plasmas as they have low input lag and spectacular contras ratio, but they aren't really brightness monsters.

Only get the LG if you think its 800 lines of motion performance is worth buying. Even at its typical low price, the LG is a poor buy for gamers. You asked about the PC mode on Samsung plasmas. Trust me, even the PC mode on ANY Samsung plasmas will blow away every LG plasmas in PQ. The only real downer for engaging PC mode is inability to engage Black Optimizer.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - 60PB5600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page