Just bought my first Plasma TV and am freaking out! Please, advise! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #31 of 43 Old 08-10-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh128 View Post
Put the set in Game mode and the rings on the text disappear--even at high sharpness (50+) at least they do on my 51F5300. The 5300 makes for an incredible PC monitor.
on the f8500, sharpness of 0 works fine, you can see even at 5 the rings are gone. switching to game mode doesn't change it, but putting it in PC mode actually makes you have to turn up the sharpness to around 40 or 50.

either way the 'correct' sharpness can be set, and the image looks the way it should. you shouldn't have to do anything other than reduce sharpness to 0. and there's no benefit(regarding sharpness) to turn on pc mode just to have a higher setting, it's the same in the end.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 08-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
on the f8500, sharpness of 0 works fine, you can see even at 5 the rings are gone. switching to game mode doesn't change it, but putting it in PC mode actually makes you have to turn up the sharpness to around 40 or 50.

either way the 'correct' sharpness can be set, and the image looks the way it should. you shouldn't have to do anything other than reduce sharpness to 0. and there's no benefit(regarding sharpness) to turn on pc mode just to have a higher setting, it's the same in the end.
Turning sharpness to 0 on both of my 51" 5300 and the 4500 make 480p and 480i game sources look like a film of vaseline was smeared on the screen. It also adds noticable blur to PC sources. Its far less distracting on video sources, but on PC and game systems, its way too soft and blurry.
post #33 of 43 Old 08-10-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Turning sharpness to 0 on both of my 51" 5300 and the 4500 make 480p and 480i game sources look like a film of vaseline was smeared on the screen. It also adds noticable blur to PC sources. Its far less distracting on video sources, but on PC and game systems, its way too soft and blurry.
sorry, I haven't fed anything less than 720p to mine. no idea how it handles SD content.

still, if 0 is too low, you can adjust it. you shouldn't have to turn on game mode/pc mode to get the correct sharpness level. that being said, I do use PC mode for all my gaming for other reasons. I just have to 'crank' up the sharpness setting to get it back to the correct level when I do. I have it set at 40 right now for the PC mode, and 5 for regular. the setting of 40 is still a little bit 'softer' but I prefer that for gaming, I guess, haha. but the main reason I use PC mode is the input lag. it's super high otherwise.

post #34 of 43 Old 08-11-2014, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just resign yourself to the constant rainbows in every dark shot, ever-present line-bleed, and permanent-or-virtually-permanent IR ghosts of any well-defined element like logos.
And "breaking in" is a ridiculous myth that does nothing to prevent any of these--if anything the problems worsen with use.
That's plasma.
Have fun!
post #35 of 43 Old 08-11-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Id View Post
Just resign yourself to the constant rainbows in every dark shot, ever-present line-bleed, and permanent-or-virtually-permanent IR ghosts of any well-defined element like logos.
And "breaking in" is a ridiculous myth that does nothing to prevent any of these--if anything the problems worsen with use.
That's plasma.
Have fun!
Lol, someone had a bad experience.
ChadThunder likes this.

TV's - Panasonic 55ST60 , Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #36 of 43 Old 08-11-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Lol, someone had a bad experience.
haha, guess so.

I've had equally bad experience with edgelit LED, I could right a book of rants if I wanted to.

in the end, this is why options are always best for the consumer. there will never be a 'perfect' display, so it's best they all get made so we can pick our preference. in all honesty, I'd probably still have a CRT in my theater(and only my theater since they are a pita to move around) if I could buy one today.

post #37 of 43 Old 08-12-2014, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Setting sharpness to 0 on my 60F5300 is incredibly blurry too. Text is so smeared you'd think I needed glasses. The default setting of 20 looks best on this set.
post #38 of 43 Old 09-17-2014, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
IrBurn In

I have a Panasonic Plasma from 2006/2007 and it is still in great shape withno burn-in at all. The Panasonic is an older model with less up to date burn-inprevention technology than the LG. I now own the LG 60PB6900 andI love it, it is superior to my Panasonic and as it should be there is a 7 yeartechnology gap between the two. I am running the TV at 50% for everything andall of the functions such as sharpness, edge definer (or whatever it is called)and so on are off or in their most neutral state. I will do this just like manyhave said for around 200 hours then I will dial in the best settings I can get.I just watched Big trouble In Little China last night on Blu-ray and even withthe settings the way the currently are it looked great. Can’t wait to get thisset for optimal viewing. Do not worry the set will be fine, just baby it forthe first couple of hundred hours and you will be fine. I have gamed, watchedplenty of movies with black bars and so on with no issue on my last plasma.

John M.
post #39 of 43 Old 09-17-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Setting sharpness to 0 on my 60F5300 is incredibly blurry too. Text is so smeared you'd think I needed glasses. The default setting of 20 looks best on this set.
I'm with fierce_gt on this one (as you already know). On my 60F5300, any sharpness setting above 5 results in oversharpening artifacts. Text begins to become more difficult to read at higher values. Sharpness of 20+ is just downright painful. This is with my PC outputting video to my TV via HDMI. It might just be a difference in the way different folks video chains handle video and any internal image processing in those chains that may result in differences in sharpness settings required.

I think Sharpness values of 20+ may look okay on video content as it is harder to see the artifacts and it can trick you into thinking the picture is clearer/sharper, but when browsing on the web, etc, the high sharpness values significantly degrade the legibility of text and other UI elements.

That being said, I have NEVER experienced this whole vaseline smeared across screen effect that others seem to be seeing. And I am quite particular about these things since I do some Lightroom/Photoshop work on my TV and I work on Lightroom on my calibrated laptop, desktop and TV, so I can compare the resulting PQ, and everything is comparable across all the devices.
post #40 of 43 Old 09-17-2014, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I actually prefer my plasma tv to my LCD. I think the darks are darker, and the colors just pop a bit more.
ChadThunder likes this.
post #41 of 43 Old 09-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
I'm with fierce_gt on this one (as you already know). On my 60F5300, any sharpness setting above 5 results in oversharpening artifacts. Text begins to become more difficult to read at higher values. Sharpness of 20+ is just downright painful. This is with my PC outputting video to my TV via HDMI. It might just be a difference in the way different folks video chains handle video and any internal image processing in those chains that may result in differences in sharpness settings required.

I think Sharpness values of 20+ may look okay on video content as it is harder to see the artifacts and it can trick you into thinking the picture is clearer/sharper, but when browsing on the web, etc, the high sharpness values significantly degrade the legibility of text and other UI elements.

That being said, I have NEVER experienced this whole vaseline smeared across screen effect that others seem to be seeing. And I am quite particular about these things since I do some Lightroom/Photoshop work on my TV and I work on Lightroom on my calibrated laptop, desktop and TV, so I can compare the resulting PQ, and everything is comparable across all the devices.
Feed a 480i or 480p video game source through component and you'll change your tune on that real quick. Ive settled on a sharpness of 75 on my F4500 for 480i/p game sources, 95 to 100 for the F5300 on 480i/p game sources.

OTA HD and Blu -ray are no problem, I run the sharpness for them on the 5300 at 20 with no issue. 480i/p from a game system is a completely different animal.
post #42 of 43 Old 09-17-2014, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Feed a 480i or 480p video game source through component and you'll change your tune on that real quick. Ive settled on a sharpness of 75 on my F4500 for 480i/p game sources, 95 to 100 for the F5300 on 480i/p game sources.

OTA HD and Blu -ray are no problem, I run the sharpness for them on the 5300 at 20 with no issue. 480i/p from a game system is a completely different animal.
That could very well be... I don't really have any 480i/p sources that I view at the moment. But I do know that some seem to find even 1080p content to be blurry and vaseline smeared, etc. with Sharpness of 0-5, which is surprising to me since the oversharpening artifacts are clearly visible to me even at Sharpness of 10 on my 1080p output from HTPC (more easily visible when browsing/during desktop use) and make text less legible. That's why I was suggesting that it may be due to differing sharpening/image processing in the video chain that results in different sweet spots for sharpness values for different folks.
post #43 of 43 Old 09-19-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post

Ya, and I've since went back and looked at the AVS calibration disk and the correct setting (at least on my 60F5300 in Movie mode) is 12 using an AMD card with all post-processing turned off.

I feel like we just had this same conversation a month ago elsewhere, lol. Have you used the AVS disk to calibrate sharpness? Ringing goes away at 12 on my setup. 0-5 just looks blurry. I agree the default of 20 is over-sharpened.

Last edited by StinDaWg; 09-19-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
60PN6500 , plasma
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page