Just bought my first Plasma TV and am freaking out! Please, advise! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 08-07-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just bought my first Plasma TV and am freaking out! Please, advise!

So I just bought my first plasma TV. It's a 60PN6500. I know it's an entry level TV, but I'm from Brazil and here it costs about US$1141!

Well, it just arrived and I'm freaking out about some things.

1 - BURN INS!

I have read they're not much of an issue on modern TVs, but LG's own manual tells we should be pretty careful about them and that they're not covered by the warranty! OMFG!
They specifically said NOT TO watch movies with black bars! Is that true? From Christ sake, what if I have a movie which is not the TV's ratio? Should I zoom it in and watch it horribly distorted?

Is there a way of preventing it? I'm afraid of even turning my TV on now!

What if, God forbids, a burn in happens? Is there any solution or I'm gonna lose my money?

2 - Grainy image

I've tried my Band of Brothers blu-ray and it was extremely grainy. I guess the movie IS grainy, but on this TV it was PRETTY NOTICEABLE, to the point of being distracting.

I then threw Hellboy on, and it was better, but I still can see some grains sometimes. Is that an issue or I'm just freaking out about the higher resolution?

Also, I noticed the TV makes lower definition sources WORSE. Netflix is not looking amazing, for instance. And files downloaded from the internet look ****** as hell.

3 - Calibration

I was checking this topic about calibration:

Official LG 50PN6500, 60PN6500 Owner's Thread (2013 1080p plasma series)...

So far so good, but I've read somethings about time of use and that also started giving me some panic attack! What that 100 hours thing means? Should I keep my settings to default until I cross that line? What if I don't? Does the TV keeps track of how long it's being used or should I do it?

4 - I'm 2.80 m away from the TV. Is that enough? I feel I wouldn't see that much artifact and grains if I was a bit far away from it.

Thanks a lot guys, help me keep my health!

PS: I've asked the same thing at Reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/...d_am_freaking/), got some good answers there, but would appreciate your guys inputs too.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 08-07-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Don't freak out about the warning. That's standard with every plasma. For the first 200 hours of use, avoid black bars and just watch normal full screen material. This gives the plasma cells some time to age. Usually burn in will occur early. IR can occur no matter how old the tv is, but will go away by varying your viewing. After 200 hours, you can watch blu ray movies without problems, as long as that is not the only thing you watch. If you are like most normal viewers who vary what they watch from blu ray, to regular tv, then you should have no problems. If you want to feel more safe, get the Disney WOW disc and use the pixel washer that comes with it. Run it for about hour once or twice a month.

As far as grainy movies, yes, some are like that. Is this the first time you have owned a tv that large and HD? The larger the tv, the more flaws you will see in the material you are watching. Some blu ray movies are great, some are not. And yes, standard definition material looks like crap on larger screens.

3 meters is not too far to sit away from a 60 inch screen.
souljacker7 likes this.
post #3 of 43 Old 08-07-2014, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

3 meters is not too far to sit away from a 60 inch screen.

But is it too close?
post #4 of 43 Old 08-07-2014, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by souljacker7 View Post
But is it too close?
Nope. 8ft is actually a nice distance for a 60" TV.
souljacker7 likes this.
post #5 of 43 Old 08-07-2014, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I feel that 2.8m is actually about as CLOSE as you would want to sit.. I would not move closer. Otherwise, and especially on a 60", you will notice the pixels more, and HD images wont look quite as good.. but those are my eyes.. sit where it looks best to you.

Be aware not all BluRay movies are made equal.. some are hardly better than SD DVD.. others are phenomenal.

Also, I think you should see a physician and get a prescription for Xanax. You worry too much.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
post #6 of 43 Old 08-07-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Also check your sharpness. If it is too high it will greatly enhance the grain on movies. I have mine set at 0.
post #7 of 43 Old 08-07-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 831
and this is why plasma is dieing...

yeah, what the others have said, just relax, enjoy the tv, and try not to ABUSE it. feel free to USE it, but once a week or so, if you notice any kind of image retention on the screen, try to view some full screen content to clear it up. the warnings in the manual are kind of like the warnings on coffee cups saying 'caution: hot'. they are there to cover their ass, not to help you.

as for graininess, I have no idea. either you're finally seeing what the source intended(or the poor quality of that source), or the settings are off. I don't know what your previous tv was, so it's hard for me to guess whether you're seeing more or less detail form the source. for all I know you upgraded from a 32" tv, and it's simply the size that is making the difference.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #8 of 43 Old 08-07-2014, 11:55 AM
SPJ

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Burn in is pretty much non-existent these days. Don't even worry about it. Watch TV as you normally would.

As far as the grainy issue, try sitting back just a little further and turn your sharpness down to 0. That should clear up any grainy material.
MilkManX and souljacker7 like this.
post #9 of 43 Old 08-07-2014, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkManX View Post
Also check your sharpness. If it is too high it will greatly enhance the grain on movies. I have mine set at 0.

My TV has a V Sharpness and a H Sharpness setting. Both are at 14. If I bring it down to 0 things get blurry
post #10 of 43 Old 08-07-2014, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

as for graininess, I have no idea. either you're finally seeing what the source intended(or the poor quality of that source), or the settings are off. I don't know what your previous tv was, so it's hard for me to guess whether you're seeing more or less detail form the source. for all I know you upgraded from a 32" tv, and it's simply the size that is making the difference.
Exactly. I did upgrade from a 32"

Last edited by souljacker7; 08-07-2014 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote
post #11 of 43 Old 08-07-2014, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

So, I fixed my TV to the wall, which gave me additional 10 cm away from it and seems to have solved to grain issue.

BUT, there's something else I was too embarrassed to talk about before I researched and found out it was a thing.

Since we got it I noticed I was seeing some rainbow like flashes sometimes. I happens randomly, at the corner of my eyesight, mainly when there's a high contrast (such as white subtitles in black background). I commented with my wife and she told me she doesn't see it. Since I was freaking out about the rest, I thought maybe I was just imagining it.

Then I found lots of people complaining about the same thing! It even has a name, lol. The RAINBOW EFFECTS.

Is that fixable?

One thing: I wear glasses and this seems to happen ONLY when I'm wearing them. I thought maybe it would be fixed if my lenses were anti-reflex (I'm not sure they are).

Does any of you guys experience the same thing?
post #12 of 43 Old 08-07-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So, I fixed my TV to the wall, which gave me additional 10 cm away from it and seems to have solved to grain issue.

BUT, there's something else I was too embarrassed to talk about before I researched and found out it was a thing.

Since we got it I noticed I was seeing some rainbow like flashes sometimes. I happens randomly, at the corner of my eyesight, mainly when there's a high contrast (such as white subtitles in black background). I commented with my wife and she told me she doesn't see it. Since I was freaking out about the rest, I thought maybe I was just imagining it.

Then I found lots of people complaining about the same thing! It even has a name, lol. The RAINBOW EFFECTS.

Is that fixable?

One thing: I wear glasses and this seems to happen ONLY when I'm wearing them. I thought maybe it would be fixed if my lenses were anti-reflex (I'm not sure they are).

Does any of you guys experience the same thing?
unfortunately the rainbows can't really be fixed, some ppl are sensitive to it and that's that it seems. I am not, or at least I don't think I am very sensitive to it. I've seen many plasmas, and had a Samsung plasma in my theater for the last 5yrs, but I did start to notice it with my f8500. it's the only one so far I've seen it on, and only when I do silly things like move my head so fast I can retain focus. I haven't been able to do anything that helped or changed how I see it. but it does seem to be most obvious when a small bright image is surrounded by dark backgrounds. something like a candle or white text on a black background.

the only thing I can suggest is to research if the model you have is known for this, or not. it could be that you are really sensitive and should avoid plasma and dlp displays, or it could be that you are moderately sensitive and the model you bought just happens to be worse than normal.

post #13 of 43 Old 08-07-2014, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
and this is why plasma is dieing...

yeah, what the others have said, just relax, enjoy the tv, and try not to ABUSE it. feel free to USE it, but once a week or so, if you notice any kind of image retention on the screen, try to view some full screen content to clear it up. the warnings in the manual are kind of like the warnings on coffee cups saying 'caution: hot'. they are there to cover their ass, not to help you.

Quote:
unfortunately the rainbows can't really be fixed, some ppl are sensitive to it and that's that it seems. I am not, or at least I don't think I am very sensitive to it. I've seen many plasmas, and had a Samsung plasma in my theater for the last 5yrs, but I did start to notice it with my f8500. it's the only one so far I've seen it on, and only when I do silly things like move my head so fast I can retain focus. I haven't been able to do anything that helped or changed how I see it. but it does seem to be most obvious when a small bright image is surrounded by dark backgrounds. something like a candle or white text on a black background.

the only thing I can suggest is to research if the model you have is known for this, or not. it could be that you are really sensitive and should avoid plasma and dlp displays, or it could be that you are moderately sensitive and the model you bought just happens to be worse than normal.
God damn it! Does this happen in LCDs too?
Josh128 likes this.
post #14 of 43 Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
So I just bought my first plasma TV. It's a 60PN6500. I know it's an entry level TV, but I'm from Brazil and here it costs about US$1141!

Well, it just arrived and I'm freaking out about some things.

1 - BURN INS!

I have read they're not much of an issue on modern TVs, but LG's own manual tells we should be pretty careful about them and that they're not covered by the warranty! OMFG!
They specifically said NOT TO watch movies with black bars! Is that true? From Christ sake, what if I have a movie which is not the TV's ratio? Should I zoom it in and watch it horribly distorted?

Is there a way of preventing it? I'm afraid of even turning my TV on now!

What if, God forbids, a burn in happens? Is there any solution or I'm gonna lose my money?

2 - Grainy image

I've tried my Band of Brothers blu-ray and it was extremely grainy. I guess the movie IS grainy, but on this TV it was PRETTY NOTICEABLE, to the point of being distracting.

I then threw Hellboy on, and it was better, but I still can see some grains sometimes. Is that an issue or I'm just freaking out about the higher resolution?

Also, I noticed the TV makes lower definition sources WORSE. Netflix is not looking amazing, for instance. And files downloaded from the internet look ****** as hell.

3 - Calibration

I was checking this topic about calibration:

Official LG 50PN6500, 60PN6500 Owner's Thread (2013 1080p plasma series)...

So far so good, but I've read somethings about time of use and that also started giving me some panic attack! What that 100 hours thing means? Should I keep my settings to default until I cross that line? What if I don't? Does the TV keeps track of how long it's being used or should I do it?

4 - I'm 2.80 m away from the TV. Is that enough? I feel I wouldn't see that much artifact and grains if I was a bit far away from it.

Thanks a lot guys, help me keep my health!

PS: I've asked the same thing at Reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/...d_am_freaking/), got some good answers there, but would appreciate your guys inputs too.

Thanks!
1, new plasmas need to age. new pixels run hot and will get IR and possibly burn in. avoid logos, tickers, black bars, pausing images.
a small price to pay when the end results will be superior image TV.
some people, myself, will rapid age by running colored slides.
depending on how many hours a day you watch the TV, it may take months to
get the cells to settle in. just be on the look out for ghost images or IR.

2 granny is probably dithering. new plasma cells will do that. goes away as it ages.

3, most calibrators will not adjust your set until the cells have aged.
there are color shifts as the cells settle in. blue then red then green will
loose their dither and slightly shift color. nothing dramatic, just enough to
make the calibration error level increase.
Using some ones else's settings has a very low chance of success.

4, sounds good. probably why you see dither. Just treat it like a new car and
be patient while it settles in.

Loving D65
post #15 of 43 Old 08-08-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
God damn it! Does this happen in LCDs too?
rainbows don't seem to be an issue with LCD, but there's a long list of other problems with lcd. you really need to pick your compromises, for me, it's no question that plasma is better. you may have different priorities and prefer lcd.

honestly though, before you give up on plasma, research your model and find out if it's known to be bad for rainbows.

post #16 of 43 Old 08-08-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
My TV has a V Sharpness and a H Sharpness setting. Both are at 14. If I bring it down to 0 things get blurry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
Burn in is pretty much non-existent these days. Don't even worry about it. Watch TV as you normally would.

As far as the grainy issue, try sitting back just a little further and turn your sharpness down to 0. That should clear up any grainy material.
What does sharpness do?
post #17 of 43 Old 08-08-2014, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
rainbows don't seem to be an issue with LCD, but there's a long list of other problems with lcd. you really need to pick your compromises, for me, it's no question that plasma is better. you may have different priorities and prefer lcd.

honestly though, before you give up on plasma, research your model and find out if it's known to be bad for rainbows.
Every other problem seems to have been solved with the distance. But the rainbow thing is completely distracting =/
post #18 of 43 Old 08-08-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnok89 View Post
What does sharpness do?
sharpness is kind of like 'focus' but at the same time totally different, haha.

usually TV's are best at around 0, anything higher than that adds artificial borders around objects to make them appear 'sharper', but it actually removes detail from the image.

here's an example of sharpness being set too high:

notice the 'rings' or haloing around the text

between the windows, the concrete is discolored.

and the same images with sharpness set lower(and closer to correct) *note* there is still some interference due to me taking very short exposures, don't pay attention to that

just FYI, the building is a zoom in shot of this image:
RyanHomsey and orion2001 like this.

post #19 of 43 Old 08-08-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Every other problem seems to have been solved with the distance. But the rainbow thing is completely distracting =/
like I said, I don't think there's much you can do about it. you need to either get a different model plasma(if your particular model just happens to have a lot of rainbows) or avoid plasma altogether(if you are extremely sensitive to rainbows)

post #20 of 43 Old 08-08-2014, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
like I said, I don't think there's much you can do about it. you need to either get a different model plasma(if your particular model just happens to have a lot of rainbows) or avoid plasma altogether(if you are extremely sensitive to rainbows)
I think I'll have to return this and try a LCD. My last hope is that the issue is related to my glasses. I almost don't see the rainbows without glasses (but I can't see the movie either, lol).

What are the main issues with LCD?
post #21 of 43 Old 08-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
sharpness is kind of like 'focus' but at the same time totally different, haha.

usually TV's are best at around 0, anything higher than that adds artificial borders around objects to make them appear 'sharper', but it actually removes detail from the image.

here's an example of sharpness being set too high:

notice the 'rings' or haloing around the text

between the windows, the concrete is discolored.

and the same images with sharpness set lower(and closer to correct) *note* there is still some interference due to me taking very short exposures, don't pay attention to that

just FYI, the building is a zoom in shot of this image:
common when using the tv as a monitor.
there is a problem with RGB and YCB 4:4:4:
there are threads about it and work around
Not a Plasma issue. LCDs do it too.

Loving D65
post #22 of 43 Old 08-08-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWldLif View Post
Could you post the thread/workaround?
post #23 of 43 Old 08-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
look in the HTPC forum.
basically the TV is having trouble with RGB and YCB 4:4:4 converting.
some TVs just suck at it.

I think changing the output to TV to a different standard will allow the TV to convert better.

Loving D65
post #24 of 43 Old 08-08-2014, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
look in the HTPC forum.
basically the TV is having trouble with RGB and YCB 4:4:4 converting.
some TVs just suck at it.

I think changing the output to TV to a different standard will allow the TV to convert better.
I'm still not sure what problem we are looking at here. I use RBG 4:4:4 on my HTPC and it looks fine.
post #25 of 43 Old 08-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm still not sure what problem we are looking at here. I use RBG 4:4:4 on my HTPC and it looks fine.
why did you ask for a work around?
do you doubt what I told the OP?
so your TV is set to receive 4:4:4 and it displays properly.

Loving D65
post #26 of 43 Old 08-08-2014, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
why did you ask for a work around?
do you doubt what I told the OP?
so your TV is set to receive 4:4:4 and it displays properly.
I asked because I don't understand what you are referring to. The original post, or the picture that was posted comparing sharpness values.
post #27 of 43 Old 08-08-2014, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I asked because I don't understand what you are referring to. The original post, or the picture that was posted comparing sharpness values.
I quoted what I was referring to.
whether it is a need to put his TV in PC mode, game mode, or change what ever controls he has over source configuration or adjust the PC to change its signal,
I don't know.
The pics I quoted show what happens when the values do not match.
As I said, some TVs have a hard time with PC signals.

I am glad you have one that does not do a poor job of interpreting signals.

The pic I quoted shows me that there is some failure that is either PC or TV generated.

Loving D65
post #28 of 43 Old 08-09-2014, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
The pic I quoted shows me that there is some failure that is either PC or TV generated.
The pic you quoted highlights the importance of proper sharpness setting. What specifically are you seeing that tells you there's a signal transfer issue?
post #29 of 43 Old 08-09-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
you lost me, I have not issue at all...

I was just showing the effects of turning the sharpness up too high

post #30 of 43 Old 08-10-2014, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Put the set in Game mode and the rings on the text disappear--even at high sharpness (50+) at least they do on my 51F5300. The 5300 makes for an incredible PC monitor.

Last edited by Josh128; 08-10-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
60PN6500 , plasma
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page