advice kuro or new 2014 model - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 08-08-2014, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
picktrekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
advice kuro or new 2014 model

He guys,

I can get an Pioneer KURO PDP-LX5090 FULL HD plasma with about 17.000 hours of watching (thats a freaking lot I think, will the panel be bad now? Or the viewing?) for about 550 euros.
So in dollars: about 700 á 750 USD.

BUT I have the money to buy for about 1500-2500 euro a new 2014 model with 3d. Brand new.
Like samsung, LG, Panasonic.

What do you guys think?
I dont care about extra features, I just want to have a good quality, 3d is cool, but KURO VS new model?? ITS cheap in a way the kuro I think,, normally its about 1250-1400 dollars.,,,

ANY TIPS?

PLEASE if you read this, give me a reply,, I have an appointment for the KURO tommorrow but I really am doubting.. it has a lot of hours... but I want a good tv for about 2 years,, than it will be again a new one when 4k is more developed...

THANK

Last edited by picktrekker; 08-08-2014 at 10:32 AM. Reason: i
picktrekker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 08-08-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
discopaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I'm highly opposed to any used TV. Go new.
discopaul is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 08-08-2014, 11:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lansing, MI via Kentucky, Georgia & Tennessee
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 43
When you say 2014 model, are you talking plasma or some other technology? If you are talking about a 2014 LED LCD, I would the get the Pioneer, assuming it's in good shape.
B T C is offline  
post #4 of 21 Old 08-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Senior Member
 
ToonMasterTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I would look at the Samsung plasmas, or watch out for other used TV deals if that is your thing (I also love a great deal). 17,000 hours is a lot, so I would not purchase that TV. To me, that is not a good deal unless you have money to burn and you have a very good primary set, then the Kuro might make a good TV for a secondary room. But even then, I wouldn't do it.
ToonMasterTim is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 08-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Member
 
linger63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by picktrekker View Post
He guys,

I can get an Pioneer KURO PDP-LX5090 FULL HD plasma with about 17.000 hours of watching (thats a freaking lot I think, will the panel be bad now? Or the viewing?) for about 550 euros.
So in dollars: about 700 á 750 USD.

BUT I have the money to buy for about 1500-2500 euro a new 2014 model with 3d. Brand new.
Like samsung, LG, Panasonic.

What do you guys think?
I dont care about extra features, I just want to have a good quality, 3d is cool, but KURO VS new model?? ITS cheap in a way the kuro I think,, normally its about 1250-1400 dollars.,,,

ANY TIPS?

PLEASE if you read this, give me a reply,, I have an appointment for the KURO tommorrow but I really am doubting.. it has a lot of hours... but I want a good tv for about 2 years,, than it will be again a new one when 4k is more developed...

THANK



Hi,


If you must have a Plasma you are probably better off with a lightly used Panasonic "ZT" or "VT" series.


5 YEARS newer and even bigger than the 50" Pioneer.


If I didn't still have my KRP 500M (with a LOT less than 17000 Hrs!!!) that's what I would go for as I am a BIG Plasma fan.




Cheers
ToonMasterTim likes this.
linger63 is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 08-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
tom669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 992
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I bought a 5yr old PDP-LX5090 with 12,500 hours on it. No regrets. It had a red tint to the blacks problem like many Kuros but this was easily fixed (look up the thread.) IMHO that price is a bargain and you should get it. Kuros are incredibly reliable (I keep looking for faulty ones, the only faults I see are smashed screens) and have incredibly immersive picture quality.
tom669 is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 08-08-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,422
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1278
if you can afford the Samsung f8500, I'd take that over a kuro with that many hrs on it.


that's probably the only tv on the market other than far more expensive oleds that I'd recommend though. if you can't afford the f8500, then at least go check out the kuro, cause if it's in good working order it's going to destroy anything you can buy today for under a grand

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 08-09-2014, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
picktrekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
thanks guys, just what I needed.

I think its cheap, but 17.000 hours is alot,,, a freaking lot.
It had been broke before and the owner got it repared.

For 800 till 1000 euros more I can have an 3dtv,,,
So thanks for the replys

@fierce_gt
Do you mean the f8500 plasma versions of last year or this years 2014 UE versions?
picktrekker is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 08-09-2014, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
picktrekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
by the way, im still going to look at the kuro today,, just curious... but in my head,,, im prefering new... will be continued.....
picktrekker is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 08-09-2014, 05:39 AM
Member
 
Viper359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
17K hours, wow, that is over 700 days of power on. That is a fair amount. I would find out what the usage was. The asking price is way too much though. I would offer $500.00 USD, telling the owner, with the amount of hours on it, I am not taking a chance on a panel that is out of warranty, and after that, since you are checking it out, if it looks good, works properly, and they took my offer, I would buy it. I own a Kuro, the 65" and wouldn't hesitate at $500, even if it crapped out two years down the road. For me, the PQ and price would be enough.
Viper359 is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 08-09-2014, 08:23 AM
Senior Member
 
craigyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: united kingdom
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper359 View Post
17K hours, wow, that is over 700 days of power on. That is a fair amount. I would find out what the usage was. The asking price is way too much though. I would offer $500.00 USD, telling the owner, with the amount of hours on it, I am not taking a chance on a panel that is out of warranty, and after that, since you are checking it out, if it looks good, works properly, and they took my offer, I would buy it. I own a Kuro, the 65" and wouldn't hesitate at $500, even if it crapped out two years down the road. For me, the PQ and price would be enough.
65 there never was
linger63 likes this.

craigyboy is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 08-09-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,422
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by picktrekker View Post
thanks guys, just what I needed.

I think its cheap, but 17.000 hours is alot,,, a freaking lot.
It had been broke before and the owner got it repared.

For 800 till 1000 euros more I can have an 3dtv,,,
So thanks for the replys

@fierce_gt
Do you mean the f8500 plasma versions of last year or this years 2014 UE versions?
pretty sure the 2013 and 2014 models are exactly the same. the UE version might be f8550? I'm not sure, sorry. but yeah, that's the one I mean. the top of the line plasma Samsung current has on the market. it really has CLOSE to the same picture quality as the kuro, but adds larger sizes(if you want), smart features(again, if you want), 3D, and possibly more importantly a warranty.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 08-09-2014, 11:30 AM
Member
 
Viper359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyboy View Post
65 there never was
You are correct, excuse the typo. My point remains the same.
Viper359 is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 08-09-2014, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
picktrekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
pretty sure the 2013 and 2014 models are exactly the same. the UE version might be f8550? I'm not sure, sorry. but yeah, that's the one I mean. the top of the line plasma Samsung current has on the market. it really has CLOSE to the same picture quality as the kuro, but adds larger sizes(if you want), smart features(again, if you want), 3D, and possibly more importantly a warranty.
close to the same picture quality as the kuro?
WOW,,, last time I was on this forum alot I bought the panasoinc gt.

I didnt buy this kuro, because of the hours, its crazy must be a display model.

I can buy a LX6090 KURO,, for about 1500 dollars.. very good condition,, or I will go for a panasonic ZT,,, but damn the price....
Or as you say the samsung....
You are talking about this f8500 ?? Right

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN51F8500AFXZA

?

THANKS
picktrekker is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 08-09-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,422
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by picktrekker View Post
close to the same picture quality as the kuro?
WOW,,, last time I was on this forum alot I bought the panasoinc gt.

I didnt buy this kuro, because of the hours, its crazy must be a display model.

I can buy a LX6090 KURO,, for about 1500 dollars.. very good condition,, or I will go for a panasonic ZT,,, but damn the price....
Or as you say the samsung....
You are talking about this f8500 ?? Right

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN51F8500AFXZA

?

THANKS
that's the one. many ppl actually prefer it over the zt60

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 08-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Member
 
Audio Karma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Living On A MAGIC Roller Coaster Ride In My Room With My Tweaked out Stereo System !....
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper359 View Post
17K hours, wow, that is over 700 days of power on. That is a fair amount. I would find out what the usage was. The asking price is way too much though. I would offer $500.00 USD, telling the owner, with the amount of hours on it, I am not taking a chance on a panel that is out of warranty, and after that, since you are checking it out, if it looks good, works properly, and they took my offer, I would buy it. I own a Kuro, the 65" and wouldn't hesitate at $500, even if it crapped out two years down the road. For me, the PQ and price would be enough.
Unless the fans were on max...running all the time, I would not buy it period because anything could happen to it now because of all that heat back there, all those days...

You have no way of knowing this so don't buy it! Could Dolby Vision be the future right now?...
Audio Karma is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 08-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
tom669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 992
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 131
The used price of a PDP-LX6090 around here is £800~£1000 ($1300~$1600) so the owner should rightly laugh in your face (and that's not a silly price, because they DO sell for that. Check ebay sale prices.) A PDP-LX5090 is about £500~£800.

The panels are extremely reliable and there are no issues with heat build up. Usually the fans on Kuros do not run. I have seen a Pioneer 7G panel with 30,000 hours on it working perfect, and still no burn in. The brightness was maybe 20% down compared to a newer TV, but that was about it.

Buying a Panasonic is usually a good choice, but if you buy a Samsung, they have worse QC issues than almost any brand, so IMHO, you're at worse risk overall buying a newer Samsung over an older Kuro.
tom669 is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 08-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Member
 
Viper359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Karma View Post
Unless the fans were on max...running all the time, I would not buy it period because anything could happen to it now because of all that heat back there, all those days...

You have no way of knowing this so don't buy it! Could Dolby Vision be the future right now?...


Yeah, because these threads are full of people having bad panel issues because of heat. I have the elite line, but, still doesn't change the fact, these are very good panels and I would buy one in a second over what is left out there today.
Viper359 is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 08-11-2014, 11:45 AM
Member
 
Audio Karma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Living On A MAGIC Roller Coaster Ride In My Room With My Tweaked out Stereo System !....
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper359 View Post
Yeah, because these threads are full of people having bad panel issues because of heat. I have the elite line, but, still doesn't change the fact, these are very good panels and I would buy one in a second over what is left out there today.
You make a good point there...

Pioneer did make the best panels, if you buy one used just remember to turn on those fans to Max and enjoy it until it kicks the dust...

Maybe 6 years from now OLED "might be safe" to buy then...
Audio Karma is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 08-11-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,422
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post
The used price of a PDP-LX6090 around here is £800~£1000 ($1300~$1600) so the owner should rightly laugh in your face (and that's not a silly price, because they DO sell for that. Check ebay sale prices.) A PDP-LX5090 is about £500~£800.

The panels are extremely reliable and there are no issues with heat build up. Usually the fans on Kuros do not run. I have seen a Pioneer 7G panel with 30,000 hours on it working perfect, and still no burn in. The brightness was maybe 20% down compared to a newer TV, but that was about it.

Buying a Panasonic is usually a good choice, but if you buy a Samsung, they have worse QC issues than almost any brand, so IMHO, you're at worse risk overall buying a newer Samsung over an older Kuro.
agree with everything except the last statement.


while the pioneers were no doubt well made, you aren't at higher risk buying a new Samsung. they have similarly low failure rates as Panasonic, and the warranty ensures you get one of the good ones anyway.


there's almost no risk if you buy the new Samsung. the worst thing that can happen is you have to return it for a full refund.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #21 of 21 Old 08-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Member
 
Audio Karma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Living On A MAGIC Roller Coaster Ride In My Room With My Tweaked out Stereo System !....
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by linger63 View Post
Hi,


If you must have a Plasma you are probably better off with a lightly used Panasonic "ZT" or "VT" series.


5 YEARS newer and even bigger than the 50" Pioneer.


If I didn't still have my KRP 500M (with a LOT less than 17000 Hrs!!!) that's what I would go for as I am a BIG Plasma fan.




Cheers
I wish now I got two 500M's , my "top secret tweak" makes it look amazing now..I'm not joking! PM PM PM PM...
Audio Karma is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - f8500, by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off