• 1 Post By HLdan

post #1 of 10 Old 08-08-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Older Panasonic or new Samsung?

Hi all --

I'm looking to upgrade my TC-P50S30 to a larger screen. First, I had been looking at the Samsung PN60D5300 and would've pulled the trigger except they were out of stock at HH Gregg.

Then, I came across a pre-owned Panasonic TC-P60ST30 on Craigslist. And I have a weakness for Panasonics. I've owned two and been extremely happy with each.

They're asking $800 for the TV, three pairs of Panasonic 3D glasses and six 3D Blu-Rays ... Avatar, Pirates of the Caribbean and some others I can't remember.

After reading this thread, it seems like the general consensus is that both are good TVs but both can potentially have a few issues.

Also -- does $800 seem like an OK deal for the ST30? It seems a little pricey for a 3-year old set, especially when the Samsung 5300 can be had for around $700-$800 new. But I do love Panasonics and they haven't exactly come down in price on the aftermarket.

Obviously buying used makes me a touch uncomfortable, too.

I'd welcome any and all opinions.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I would go for the new Samsung over a 3 year old Panasonic any day. Firstly, I'm not a fan of Craigslist. It bring along a lot of crazies trying to sell something and you don't know what the condition of it is. Another thing is mileage. You won't know what the TV has been through in the 3 years of ownership. You can check the number of hours on the set but I'd be still weary of buying a 3 year old TV and IMO $800 is too much for an old ST30 Plasma. Had this been an ST50 perhaps but you can't go wrong getting something new from a manufacturer such as Samsung who has years of Plasma experience as well as Panasonic, plus you get a brand new TV with a warranty. I would pay more attention to the TV rather than the extra 3D glasses and Blu rays the seller is throwing in. IMO he/she knows the TV isn't worth $800 so he/she is throwing extras to justify the price.
ToonMasterTim likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-08-2014, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
I would go for the new Samsung over a 3 year old Panasonic any day. Firstly, I'm not a fan of Craigslist. It bring along a lot of crazies trying to sell something and you don't know what the condition of it is. Another thing is mileage. You won't know what the TV has been through in the 3 years of ownership. You can check the number of hours on the set but I'd be still weary of buying a 3 year old TV and IMO $800 is too much for an old ST30 Plasma. Had this been an ST50 perhaps but you can't go wrong getting something new from a manufacturer such as Samsung who has years of Plasma experience as well as Panasonic, plus you get a brand new TV with a warranty. I would pay more attention to the TV rather than the extra 3D glasses and Blu rays the seller is throwing in. IMO he/she knows the TV isn't worth $800 so he/she is throwing extras to justify the price.
Thanks very much for the reply.

For what it's worth, I went to check it out today. If the people are sketchballs, they're doing a great job hiding it The set is in nice condition, looks fantastic, no damage or anything like that. I didn't check the hours. So ... yeah. They told me they'd sell me the TV for $700 without the 3D glasses or discs or any of that. It's a weird deal. I want it, but it definitely feels just a little dicey because of the whole used factor.

I've seen lots of issues of buzzing and fluctuating brightness with the ST30, but, on the other hand, lots of folks have had a hard time with the 5300's magenta push.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-08-2014, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by imawheel View Post
Thanks very much for the reply.

For what it's worth, I went to check it out today. If the people are sketchballs, they're doing a great job hiding it The set is in nice condition, looks fantastic, no damage or anything like that. I didn't check the hours. So ... yeah. They told me they'd sell me the TV for $700 without the 3D glasses or discs or any of that. It's a weird deal. I want it, but it definitely feels just a little dicey because of the whole used factor.

I've seen lots of issues of buzzing and fluctuating brightness with the ST30, but, on the other hand, lots of folks have had a hard time with the 5300's magenta push.
You can buy warranties for used TVs if that helps you. Most times it is really not worth it though. There are a few common faults with this set but they are generally very reliable, if they do go wrong usually fixable.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post
You can buy warranties for used TVs if that helps you. Most times it is really not worth it though. There are a few common faults with this set but they are generally very reliable, if they do go wrong usually fixable.
Awesome. Thanks!
post #6 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Don't do craigslist SearsOutlet is the way to go I got a new in box P50S60 for $499 my buddy got a newly assembled open box P55ST60 for $799. No issues with his open box set.

Edit: Didn't get mine yet meant my buddies open box one is fine.

Last edited by traps; 08-10-2014 at 01:36 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by traps View Post
Don't do craigslist SearsOutlet is the way to go I got a new in box P50S60 for $499 my buddy got a newly assembled open box P55ST60 for $799. No issues with either set.
I don't mind that idea, but it appears that they're only available for store pickup. Which rules me out for most items. :-/
post #8 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by imawheel View Post
I don't mind that idea, but it appears that they're only available for store pickup. Which rules me out for most items. :-/
Depends if they are sold out or not in your area. If they are within 50~ miles they will home deliver.

post #9 of 10 Old 08-10-2014, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by traps View Post
Depends if they are sold out or not in your area. If they are within 50~ miles they will home deliver.

Heh, only thing close to me are a few sound bars. If only ...
post #10 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

I tried to get them to budge and they won't, so I believe I will pass and go with the Samsung PN60F5300. Sears has it for $720. I know it's been cheaper, but that seems pretty solid.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page