Hours on ZT60 I may buy need advice - AVS Forum
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Hours on ZT60 I may buy need advice
Technikos 10:17 PM 08-08-2014
I had a post earlier on here on an opportunity to buy zt60 65". Thanks all for the help.

This is a pic of the hours on the TV and how many times it has been turned off and on. Please take a look, is this too many hours? Is this the correct screen you would see this? Any advice? Finally can I still calibrate this TV with that many hours? Also I will need to ship this, any advice on a shipping company with a good reputation?

Thanks
Attached: 20140808_131142.jpg (123.9 KB)  20140807_134259.jpg (124.7 KB) 

CalWldLif's Avatar CalWldLif 10:27 PM 08-08-2014
hours are just about when the panel is broken in.
it will take a good cal.
if it is not broke or there is no burn in.

run a green color slide to look for burn in.
Technikos 11:06 PM 08-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWldLif View Post
it will take a good cal.

Just to be clear, "hours are just about..." do you mean that it is too late or the hours are right on target for a calibration?

"it will take a good cal.." Do you mean it will be difficult to calibrate this ZT60?

thanks
CalWldLif's Avatar CalWldLif 11:13 PM 08-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasios T Geivelis View Post
Just to be clear, "hours are just about..." do you mean that it is too late or the hours are right on target for a calibration?

"it will take a good cal.." Do you mean it will be difficult to calibrate this ZT60?

thanks
1500 hours is not too high.
there is a belief by some that It takes a 1000 hours or a plasma to be Burn in proof and the red green blue have reached a point where they are very stable and this means the calibrations will be accurate for a long time.
The ZT60 is capable of ref grade calibrations.
Technikos 12:57 AM 08-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWldLif View Post
it will take a good cal.

How can I tell a store to run a green color slide? I cannot go to the store, this is in a magnolia in a best buy, btw.
discone's Avatar discone 07:35 AM 08-09-2014
Quote:
How can I tell a store to run a green color slide? I cannot go to the store, this is in a magnolia in a best buy, btw.
Most who run slides due so by downloading them to a usb drive then plug it into the set. Will Best Buy do this for you? I would think they may not but you could ask. As for hours on the panel to me they seem low for a store display panel. My ZT is one year old and I have 3,000 hours on mine and it's on for an average of 8hrs a day. If they had the display on for the hours they were open you would think it would have more hours so this is good for whoever get's the display. It has a half life at 50,000 hours before it will start dimming and that will take years to reach without panel running 24/7.

The panel has enough hours on it for the phosphors to have settled so it should hold a calibration, 250-500hrs is recommended. I'm in the process now of getting mine calibrated. As mentioned above it would be nice to know if it has any burn in or just some IR. With out going to see it first it is a risk you will have to weigh yourself and if the price was right it may be worth it. Most IR is not visible while watching most content.

Good luck and lets us know if you join the club!
B T C's Avatar B T C 07:38 AM 08-09-2014
Is that picture of the hours and power cycles from within the service menu? Just curious because I've never seen it, which doesn't mean much. If legit, I would be happy about the hours. That's not many. I would want to confirm the condition of the panel, such as amount or IR etc.
B T C's Avatar B T C 08:04 AM 08-09-2014
You can find the color slides in the first post of this thread, 2013 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread

Maybe you can download and email it to them.

Is the set located at a Best Buy? If it is, that make me want to start calling every store in my area.
Technikos 08:09 AM 08-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Most who run slides due so by downloading them to a usb drive then plug it into the set. Will Best Buy do this for you? I would think they may not but you could ask. As for hours on the panel to me they seem low for a store display panel. My ZT is one year old and I have 3,000 hours on mine and it's on for an average of 8hrs a day. If they had the display on for the hours they were open you would think it would have more hours so this is good for whoever get's the display. It has a half life at 50,000 hours before it will start dimming and that will take years to reach without panel running 24/7.

The panel has enough hours on it for the phosphors to have settled so it should hold a calibration, 250-500hrs is recommended. I'm in the process now of getting mine calibrated. As mentioned above it would be nice to know if it has any burn in or just some IR. With out going to see it first it is a risk you will have to weigh yourself and if the price was right it may be worth it. Most IR is not visible while watching most content.

Good luck and lets us know if you join the club!

The Magnolia rep told me that it was returned from someone in a Samsung75" box ? I guess maybe trying to get more money back? I think they were able to do it. Its been on display for about 2 months. The magnolia rep sent me about 5 pics of the TV, it looks good. He also said there is no IR burn in. Can I trust the magnolia rep checked thoroughly? Maybe. Also if someone can recommend a good delivery company at a fair price, insurance, I would love to join the ZT club!

Thanks
Technikos 08:13 AM 08-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
You can find the color slides in the first post of this thread, 2013 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread

Is the set located at a Best Buy? If it is, that make me want to start calling every store in my area.

Do you know of a good shipping company I could use?
B T C's Avatar B T C 08:13 AM 08-09-2014
I would want visual evidence that there is no burn in. I would not trust the sales rep. I've been looking at floor model ZT60's. According to the sales reps, none of them have had IR or burn in. Upon personal inspection, they all have had some degree of IR or burn.
discone's Avatar discone 08:22 AM 08-09-2014
Quote:
Is that picture of the hours and power cycles from within the service menu? Just curious because I've never seen it, which doesn't mean much.
Yes That is from the service menu. I posted how to do it in the ZT owners thread and it's risky, but an easy way to do it now is go into menu click on Help then click on Verson and look at Status4 where it will show you the hours. It's only off by a few hours vs the service menu hours.
RWetmore's Avatar RWetmore 08:22 AM 08-09-2014
Yes, I definitely would not trust the sales rep on burn-in. I would also want to verify the hours in the regular menu that everyone is familiar with.
B T C's Avatar B T C 08:23 AM 08-09-2014
Quote:
Do you know of a good shipping company I could use?
Beyond Fed-Ex or UPS, I'm not sure I would have any recommendations on shipping companies. I'm also not sure whether Fed-Ex or UPS would be the best choice for something like this. It probably comes down to the quality of the packaging, which I'm assuming would be the responsibility of Best Buy? The carrier would need to make sure not the lay the panel flat. When you say across country, are you talking all the way from the west coast to New Jersey?

Any idea why the set was returned?
Technikos 08:48 AM 08-09-2014
Quote:
Beyond Fed-Ex or UPS, I'm not sure I would have any recommendations on shipping companies. I'm also not sure whether Fed-Ex or UPS would be the best choice for something like this. It probably comes down to the quality of the packaging, which I'm assuming would be the responsibility of Best Buy? The carrier would need to make sure not the lay the panel flat. When you say across country, are you talking all the way from the west coast to New Jersey?

Any idea why the set was returned?
The Magnolia rep told me that it was returned from someone in a Samsung75" box ? I guess maybe trying to get more money back?
B T C's Avatar B T C 08:52 AM 08-09-2014
Quote:
The Magnolia rep told me that it was returned from someone in a Samsung75" box ? I guess maybe trying to get more money back?
Perhaps they just wanted something bigger. It's quite interesting how quickly I seem to adapt to a larger display. No matter how large it might seem initially, at some point I've always found myself thinking that bigger might be better.
StinDaWg's Avatar StinDaWg 10:55 PM 08-09-2014
Quote:
Perhaps they just wanted something bigger. It's quite interesting how quickly I seem to adapt to a larger display. No matter how large it might seem initially, at some point I've always found myself thinking that bigger might be better.
What size do you have now?
Technikos 06:37 AM 08-16-2014
Quote:

Questions, why the green slide? What does each color slide do?
B T C's Avatar B T C 06:59 AM 08-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
What size do you have now?
I went from a 42" TC-P42S2 to a 55" VT60.
B T C's Avatar B T C 08:29 AM 08-16-2014
Quote:
Questions, why the green slide? What does each color slide do?
I believe the slides are intended to break in, or age, the phosphors, but I'm no expert, so really not sure. If you're interested, I would be willing to bet there are lengthy threads covering this topic on this site.

There are various shades of whites & grays, along with the primary colors of red, green and blue. Based upon my experience, IR seems to show up really well on the green slide. The whites and grays work pretty well too. I've never seen any IR show up on the blue or red slide, but that might be dependent upon the severity of the IR.
Up
Mobile  Desktop