Lost my 60 inch GT50...replacement? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-14-2014, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Lost my 60 inch GT50...replacement?

Looking for some advice on a replacement panel.

My GT50 developed a vertical line of dead pixels the other day....looks like Square Trade is going to reimburse me the purchase cost, i.e., $1500.

I initially thought, great, I'll get a newer Panasonic plasma in 60 or 65 inches....so, I came on here to look around a bit and found that Panasonic discontinued production/sale of plasma panels. Bummer. ( I knew it was coming, but didn't know it had happened)

So, what would be a comparable replacement panel at or around $1500???

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-14-2014, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 29
In that price range, you are looking at the 60" H5000, which is going to be a step down pq wise. If you can find a good deal on a F8500, that is probably your best bet for similar pq
post #3 of 9 Old 08-14-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtaub View Post
In that price range, you are looking at the 60" H5000, which is going to be a step down pq wise. If you can find a good deal on a F8500, that is probably your best bet for similar pq
I totally agree as well, unless you can find a ST60, the best advice would be the same, get a Samsung F8500. Everything else would be un civilized.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #4 of 9 Old 08-14-2014, 04:19 PM

check the sears outlet website. If you are in CA, there is a floor model 60" ST60 for $499. It is in Ventura. There are some others, but they are priced higher. I would jump on it, but my wife would kill me for buying another tv and 150 miles away... I just cannot justify.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-14-2014, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.... This is pretty disappointing.

I don't see an f8500 for less than $2k and I am definitely not interested in downgrading picture quality.
JustaSheep likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-14-2014, 08:35 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I wouldn't be so quick to judge the H5000. In my opinion, the GT50 and the H5000 is closer than you'd think. The Panny S60,U50,UT50,ST50,GT50 are in a similiar running field and the H5000 about equal to the S60, so contrast ratio wise, the H5000 is very competitive. (I've already had two people telling me they've sold their F8500 for the H5000 for superior black level) I'd hazard a guess the GT50 is still superior in calibration but the H5000 also has great calibration option for a budget plasma. It's very light on features compared to your GT50 though...no 3D, no SMART TV, no IR filter, etc. It's also using a pentile array that may not be ideal for you depending on your seating distance. One of the Panasonic S64 owner has gone for the H5000 and he feels it's actually an upgrade. Another guy who had the VT60 who went for it has said the downgrade is not really vast.

If you want to go used, definitely go with the ST60 as it has the best value.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-15-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again...I'm going to take a hard look at the H5000 - it looks like I could step up in size within the settlement amount. And while I use my ps3 for smart function, and 3d has lost its novel attraction, I do really appreciate the anti-glare on the GT-50.

The reality I'm finding, though, is that with Panasonic exiting the market, it's slim pickings for plasma panels. It seems like we're between technology waves at the moment - a poor moment to lose my panel.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-15-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanne View Post
Thanks again...I'm going to take a hard look at the H5000 - it looks like I could step up in size within the settlement amount. And while I use my ps3 for smart function, and 3d has lost its novel attraction, I do really appreciate the anti-glare on the GT-50.

The reality I'm finding, though, is that with Panasonic exiting the market, it's slim pickings for plasma panels. It seems like we're between technology waves at the moment - a poor moment to lose my panel.
Sad times indeed. I don't understand the market place. First the DLP goes away...a PQ far better than LCD, maybe not quite as sharp as plasma, but by far the best bang for the buck in the past 20 years. I guess if it's not as thin as a Japanese phone, nobody wants it, never mind that tv's are made for viewing not decorations. Now plasmas. I don't get it. I can live with DLP dying since the market wanted tv's that hang on the wall, but why are plasmas going away? No accounting for taste I guess.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-15-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
Sad times indeed. I don't understand the market place. First the DLP goes away...a PQ far better than LCD, maybe not quite as sharp as plasma, but by far the best bang for the buck in the past 20 years. I guess if it's not as thin as a Japanese phone, nobody wants it, never mind that tv's are made for viewing not decorations. Now plasmas. I don't get it. I can live with DLP dying since the market wanted tv's that hang on the wall, but why are plasmas going away? No accounting for taste I guess.

It is too expensive to make 4k plasma as well as people want thin and bright, two things plasma don't do as well as led. We just need to hold out to for oled to come down in price.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - F8500. by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page